Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (553)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Cringely predicts doom & gloom for Java...  (Read 1825 times)
Offline JasonB

« Posted 2004-04-11 20:05:35 »

...as usual...

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040408.html
Offline Seekely

Senior Newbie

I am java

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-04-11 21:04:25 »

I am kind of curious to why he thinks java and its supporters will just kind of disapear now because Microsoft and Sun will be working together?  

"While some people think this means Microsoft will bundle Java again, I think that Microsoft will choose to pursue their own .NET Java (J#), instead."

Why in the world would they do that?Huh They already have C#!  Unless I am missing something (likely), that has to be one of the most assine predictions I have ever heard.  

In my opinion, the 1.5 billion dollars doesn't change much, except gives Java a lot more chance of exposure than it had before.  I think this guy just wants to kiss Microsoft's ass while pretending to be a typical hater.

http://www.untoldevils.com  
An RPG like every other, except this one is made by me
Offline JasonB

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-04-11 23:12:45 »

Cringely has always had an odd attitude to Java.  He's been pretty consistently negative over the years I seem to recall.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-04-14 02:23:19 »

In case anyone didn't know,  Cringely doesn't exist.

The cringely columns are written by a  series of stringers.  Cringely is a trademark, not a person. Kind of like "Perry Rohdan" in trashy sci fi.  (There is no Perry Rohdan, the publisher owns the name and contracts out the books.)

Myself I refuse to have debates with mythical figures. Or at least I do now, ever since Mickey Mouse cleaned my clock Wink

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline Seekely

Senior Newbie

I am java

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-04-14 02:45:02 »

Hehe, then I it amusing how the string of Cringely's have all managed to convey an odd attitude towards java =p

http://www.untoldevils.com  
An RPG like every other, except this one is made by me
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-04-14 07:53:59 »

You know, while I've heard that on occasion from Jeff, I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.  Is this a known fact, or a personal belief?

I personally like Cringely.  Much of his stuff is good reading, and he seems to get things right much more often than he gets things wrong.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline JasonB

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-04-14 18:44:28 »

Jeff is right, but there's more to the story than that.  I read a wired article about the guy ages ago, which I can't find the link to now (of course).  Probably read it in print.

Basically "Robert X Cringely" was the name given by infoworld (I think), to an imaginary person who got the blame for things going wrong.  Then one month they were short a page in the magazine, and decided to use the name for a ghost written commentary.  Different people wrote as Cringely until a guy called Mark Stevens took over and used that name for a number of years, built up a bit of a rep, made it successful and so on.

He then left infoworld (or was fired), there was a whole lot of acrimonious shit, and they ended up suing each other, or he sued them, or they sued him, who the hell knows. Someone sued someone, anyway.  In the end, he's allowed to use "Robert X Cringely" and compworld use "Robert Cringely", I believe.  The infoworld column is ghost written by whoever, and the pbs "I, Cringely" commentary is written by Mark Stevens, who is the same guy who hosted the TV show "Revenge of the Nerds".

EDIT:  Bugger, should've googled better.  Found the link in 2 seconds:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/6.12/cringely.html

(which just goes to show that wired shouldn't bother using their own search engine).
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-04-16 17:44:03 »

Cool, thanks for the details.  I *love* trivia like that!

JK

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-04-16 17:50:14 »

By the way, the Cringley POV is not really all th at surpising.  Its consistant with how they've always handled precitions.
They always go for what appears to be the "safe money" bet. And in ANYTHING in the computer industry, iunfortunately, the safe money bet is MSFT wil lwin.

Sometimes they lose and when they lose they lose big, but I'm afraid its more often that they don't.  Thats the reality if you are just blindly playing the odds.

I bet if you looked back in history you can find a Cringley colum about how MSFT "blackbird" was gonna destroy HTML and web servers!

Offline Mark Thornton

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-04-17 08:10:24 »

I bet if you looked back in history you can find a Cringley colum about how MSFT "blackbird" was gonna destroy HTML and web servers!

I don't know about a Cringely column on Blackbird but there were certainly plenty of others. Another case where Microsoft backed the wrong horse would be SVG (for which they still have minimal support). Hey, does anyone remember Cairo?
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (12 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (24 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (37 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (30 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (29 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (18 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (28 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (65 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (41 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org