Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (552)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  40 posts and I'm still a newbie?  (Read 3404 times)
Offline duncanIdaho

invert mouse

« Posted 2004-04-07 19:06:42 »

Maybe 41 will do it Tongue
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-04-07 19:48:04 »

I think you've gotta hit 50.

Then 150.

Then ? 250 ?

Then ?500?

Can't remember Sad. But I do remember the trepidation each time I hit a round number, wondering if this would finally mean my talents had been recognised, and I'd been raised to the Pantheon... Tongue

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-04-07 20:55:10 »

But I do remember the trepidation each time I hit a round number, wondering if this would finally mean my talents had been recognised, and I'd been raised to the Pantheon... Tongue

Or just spam the board like some kind of spamming machine....

Lips Sealed

EDIT: Hey! I'm a FULL MEMBER!!!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-04-08 05:17:30 »

full memeber is 100 I think
Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-04-08 05:18:01 »

so I think it's 50 -> 100 -> 200?
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 158
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-04-08 05:45:07 »

50 - Junior
100 - Full
250 - Senior
500 - God
2000+ - Cas Wink

Kev

Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-04-08 05:56:11 »

2000+ need methadone  Cool
Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-04-08 06:02:03 »

duncan, you will ALWAYS be a newbie ...  Grin

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline duncanIdaho

invert mouse

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-04-08 15:49:41 »

duncan, you will ALWAYS be a newbie ...  Grin

Ooooooo!  That was so low I don't feel bad about replying and padding my posts Wink

Offline Java Cool Dude

Java forever

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-04-08 17:13:47 »

n00b
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-04-08 19:26:25 »

full memeber is 100 I think

Heh, shows how much I pay attention.  Don't feel bad, iirc, everyone lost their id + post count when the old java-gaming.org site went away.  I'd probably be at 200 by now if that hadn't have happened....

EDIT wasn't there talk of restoring the old boards for informational purposes?
Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-04-08 21:48:14 »

EDIT wasn't there talk of restoring the old boards for informational purposes?

Oh, they're still accessible, if you know where to look! Grin

I have to say I'm not sure there's any value in resurrecting the posts at this late stage.  Technology ages very badly, and Java has aged worse than most.  If the old posts were resurrected when the new board went live, that would be a different matter - but now... *shrug*  Things have changed a lot since October 2002.

(And I seem to remember the attempts to resurrect the more recent Newless Clubies board failed as well.  Again, not a forum that is very useful 6 months down the line, so no big loss.)

But yes, the old board.  I wonder if it's worth someone either writing a screen scraper or just spidering the lot, just so there's an external archive somewhere of it?

Edit: *scratches head*  Is this the third forum we've had?  Or the second?  I seem to recall two transition periods, but the old "discus" and the current YaBB dovetail nicely, and I thought when the JGO forums first opened we were using discus...

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-04-09 04:51:41 »

I think it's the second if you don't count the dev.java.net forum.
Offline Captain-Goatse

I suck at teh 2D. XBOX IS BIG LOL!111

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-04-09 05:57:41 »

Why not make him newbie for his future existence?
Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-04-09 10:52:53 »

Maybe 41 will do it Tongue

Perhaps that should also be a "#num posts viewed" tag, because sometimes one doesn't write much but learns a lot by reading others' posts (--> big assumption? probably not :p)

This way people would feel that have been in the discussions too, although not really contributing much, spectators do play some kind of role.

//btw: this post was just a lame excusion to increase my own post count. Sorry. Now you have the chance to reply something silly too, increasing yours in return. Perhaps, there should be a "Post Count Increament" Thread. Where all newbies can add a few empty posts everytime they feel they've learnt something Grin
Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-04-09 11:42:39 »

pedro you are starting to be infected by the Cas virus  Roll Eyes
Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-04-09 15:39:30 »

HaHaha! I think Cas have more valuable things to say than me though  :p

My reality is that I'm England (not my home country!), trying to finish a project report before term starts, and since everyone else is panicing about final exams, social interaction with other humans got reduced nearly to zero. So that's how this forum and I became friends ;p

I'm not religous, but I do believe in good chocolate, so Happy Easter for everyone Wink There are some nice easter eggs at : http://www.eeggs.com

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-04-09 20:25:38 »

I think it's the second if you don't count the dev.java.net forum.

Ah yes, the CollabNet fiasco.  That's probably what I'm thinking about.  Thanks!

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-04-09 20:32:51 »

There are some nice easter eggs at : http://www.eeggs.com

My goodness, is that old thing still running? Roll Eyes

6700 Easter Eggs collected so far!     0 New in the last two weeks!

Well, they certainly seem pleased about that result! Grin

Offline D.t.O

Psych'd about Java Games

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-04-10 18:21:21 »

Why do people actually care about their status (Newbie, God, etc.) anyways? It doesn't really say anything (unless you starting hitting the 5000s or something like that)...

Enjoy.
Regards,
     - D.t.O
Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-04-10 22:24:11 »

Why do people actually care about their status (Newbie, God, etc.) anyways? It doesn't really say anything (unless you starting hitting the 5000s or something like that)...

That's more like a psychological/sociological question Tongue I agree with you that it doesn't really say anything, moreover people shouldn't give much importance to status within a community. But, many people would argue that social recognition is vital to many aspects of one's success, and humankind's too as a whole. It's not enough to make a good videogame, and sell it anonymously. You mostly want to attach your name to the game, (if you think is good), because sometimes only you and your mom knowing that you achieved something is not enough to keep you going.

It's not very wise to care *too* much about what others think, but it's nevertheless understantable that people want other people's respect in areas that they devote their lives to. Be that in professional golf or in the pub near their house. But note that status is just the reflection of one's attitude, there's nothing wrong with it by itself. Only when people become too much aware of that, and think it of as a  label that things can go in the wrong way.

One of these days, I watched a lecture by Mandelbrot  (from mitworld.mit.edu) and one can see that he is very arrogant and he said at least 10 times about the fact that *he* was the one who coined the term fractal. That really annoined me, and I didn't understand why it wasn't enought to have coined the term and 'period'. But maybe some people just take acknowedgements of their work *very* serisouly, and the bottom line is that people are free to advertise their work in any way they like. Hopefully the type of advertisement will not affect their work, but only the image you have of their values.

Roll Eyes
Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-04-10 22:29:33 »

My goodness, is that old thing still running? Roll Eyes

Well, they certainly seem pleased about that result! Grin

Hahahaha.  But you can see that the easter eggs only work for old verions of microsoft office and so on..  I found that link via this hilarious article: http://www.biznix.org/whylinux/windows/easter.html -- quite old too.  I wonder if that was actually a problem inside Microsoft, and how managers could stop people from putting code into products.
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 158
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-04-11 08:52:49 »

Tbh, I don't think anyone actually does. Its a just another jokey type thing for people to make fun of. Its normally pretty evident from what the poster writes (and in what style) whether its worth taking on board.

Kev

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-04-11 10:13:14 »

It's part of a suite of psychological tricks to build, grow, support, and retain communities. Bulletin boards are normally setup by people intending to build a community, so they come with some of these tricks built-in (although, notably, most aren't very good at it - this one (YABB) really ****s-up in many ways due to naivety or incompetence by the programmers).

Basically, the status one serves several purposes:

• Increases people's emotional attachment to the board (note: "churn" is the biggest single problem faced by communities, after growth). This is true of everyone, subconsciously, unless they fight it hard Smiley
  • Sets up "gurus" within the community, by making their status explicit. I'm not talking about the title, I'm talking about the number of posts. If you saw an argument between me and someone with 5 posts, and neither of us had mentioned any background (e.g. "I founded THQ") then you'd be inclined to use the number of posts to decide who to trust. (nb: this is not true for everyone, a lot of us are too cynical for that - but it does work for others). NB: it's not intended to help the "gurus" win arugments! The point is that it helps the *community* (especially new members! Allowing them to "hit the ground running"...) to understand who it's most influential members are, and this has well-documented positive effects on the growth, retention, and "spirit" of the community, creating virtuous circles.
  • Makes it easier for board admins to find potential recruits for moderator status etc - i.e. free, unpaid employees who will work tirelessly to help build the community. A lot of BB's these days have a default config that when you reach XXX posts you *automatically* become a moderator! In fact, I believe this is how the potential moderators for this board were solicited: just grab the list of all users with > X posts. It's easy, and tends to work pretty well.
  • ...and there are several more as well IIRC but I think you get the general idea Smiley

Incidentally, the "built-in" psych tricks of this board are probably behind the fact that the forums continue for most people to be the main access point for jgo.org. Chris et al have not been trying to build a community around jgo (I say this based on their previous posts which make clear they have other priorities), but the authors of YABB had already built a lot of community support in - so the board continues to have a tendency to much greater community interest. FYI, this isn't merely because it's an interactive medium - I've seen (and helped build) web-based systems which were as interactive as this forum without having a forum of their own; careful community mgmt can outstrip simple interactive media.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CopyableCougar4 (22 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (34 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (30 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (28 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (18 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (26 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (65 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (41 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (41 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org