Games in Android Showcase (115)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (562)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Eclipse 3.0 M8 is out  (Read 3565 times)
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Java games rock!

« Posted 2004-03-27 00:08:29 »

http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/S-3.0M8-200403261517/eclipse-news-M8.html

It also comes with a lot of great new changes.
I've been looking forward to this release for a very long time. Smiley

I hope you guys find it as useful as I do.

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 379
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-03-27 10:20:07 »

The joys of broadband at work Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-03-30 16:01:28 »

And with it comes grief ...  Sad

My VSS plugin doesn't work with it.. I expect that will get fixed shortly though.

But I notice now that under the Project menu, the Build Project and Build All options are always greyed out...

I'm scared to try the code formatting after the disaster of M7 (code formatting doesn't work in M7 except maybe in some very special cases)

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline duncanIdaho

invert mouse

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-03-30 18:56:04 »

I can't get control-/ and control-\ to work in M8 Sad  

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-03-30 21:35:42 »

Build Project and Build All in the Project menu are never enabled for me in M8.

I've gone back to M7 so I can get work done.

Offline morbo

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-03-31 00:30:28 »

The 'build' actions have been modified in this release. There's now a 'Clean' action instead of the previous 'Rebuild'.

As a result, 'Build' and 'Build All' are always disabled when you're in autobuild mode, unless you do a 'clean'.

If you're in autobuild, the manual build options are really quite pointless, anyway (I never used them in 2 years of development).
Offline sma

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-03-31 09:45:09 »

I can't get control-/ and control-\ to work in M8 Sad

They have been replaced by Ctrl+Shift+C which toggles line comments on selected lines.

.: Truth Until Paradox!
Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-03-31 10:15:36 »

tried ESC CTRL+C ?
Offline duncanIdaho

invert mouse

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-03-31 14:01:00 »

They have been replaced by Ctrl+Shift+C which toggles line comments on selected lines.

Thanks!  Silly problem I guess, now that I see it on the right click, Source menu.  Funny that had me thinking of migrating back to 7.
Offline morbo

Senior Newbie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-03-31 15:18:51 »

Key bindings are all configurable in Eclipse now, too, btw.
(Preferences->Keys)

The new default bindings have been done to better prevent collisions between all the plugins out there.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-04-02 04:15:31 »

I find the new interface horrible under linux-GTK2, but pretty nice on windows

they try to make me switch to windows ?  Huh
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 379
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-04-02 06:11:34 »

I'm liking it all, a lot Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-04-02 10:38:08 »

The 'build' actions have been modified in this release. There's now a 'Clean' action instead of the previous 'Rebuild'.

As a result, 'Build' and 'Build All' are always disabled when you're in autobuild mode, unless you do a 'clean'.

If you're in autobuild, the manual build options are really quite pointless, anyway (I never used them in 2 years of development).

The Build options are NEVER enabled, you can Clean all day and it won't make a difference.  Clean also doesn't work, or at least auto-build is broken completely.
E.g. change an interface to add a new method and save it..  All of the classes implementing that interface should be flagged with errors that show up in the Problem view - that doesn't happen. Why?  cause nothing gets re-built.
There is a setting to get back the 2.1 build options hidden away somewher.. but I haven't bothered trying M8 again after going back to M7.  My VSS plugin isn't updated to work with M8 yet, and M8 was just too broken for me to trust it.

Offline vrm

where I should sign ?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-04-02 10:55:11 »

and FisherPrice copyrighted the interface  Grin Grin Grin
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-04-02 13:00:11 »

and FisherPrice copyrighted the interface  Grin Grin Grin

I though Windows XP owned the FisherPrice interface copyright!  Nice rounded edges and primary colours Smiley...  MS will sue!!

Offline Rob Grzywinski

Reality Interactive

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-04-02 14:23:26 »

The UI is essentially what MS showed at PDC 2003 for its new (essentially Eclipse clone) Visual Studio.  Having visual parity with the new VS will allow easy migration of the gazillion VS developers to Eclipse.

One thing that I think is just grand about the UI change is that the Eclipse team showed that you can make such a grand change w/o royally screwing up the API's and existing code.  If that change was "easy" then it should be easy for people to make / migrate their own "skins".
Offline Golthar

;)

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-04-03 15:29:24 »

I'm trying it tonight.
Haven't touched any of the Milestones yet this time

come visit us: http://www.otf1337.com
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-04-05 21:39:27 »

Hubba-hubba!  Eclipse 3.0M8 is a giant leap forward from M6, which I tried so hard to make work some months ago.

Good things:
  • The code formatter can be suitably described as "utterly comprehensive".  They've accounted for just about any brand of twisted layout you could desire.
  • The new skin is very nice.  I didn't like the first prototype shots, but it's turned out okay.
  • They've largely agreed on a consistent place for progress bars, hurrah!
  • Speed - seems much faster than 2.1.2, even without clobbering the Outline view.
  • Many dialogs just work better.  They've cleaned things up, and improved on the user experience.

Bad things:
  • The size of the tabs depends on which one is focused.  Concentrate when closing more than one tab!
  • They've made "Run Last Launched" even harder to get at by removing the default keypress.  I know they want me to start everything in debug mode, but I don't want to, damnit! Grin
  • No repaint on welcome message.  It looked really nice, but another application interrupted me before I got to read it, and it wouldn't redraw.  I'll have to wait for my next upgrade to find out what it said...
  • The code formatter will remove a single blank line after a class declaration, but will leave two or more.  But I want one - I just don't like the last line of the file to contain anything - so I have to put in two instead.
  • They've removed the search menu from the context menu.  Why?  Good question.

Very nice indeed, and still only a milestone.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-04-06 00:57:24 »

I have to take back some of my criticism of this release.  I discovered that Eclipse picked my 1.5beta JRE to run with, and it seems it has severe problems running on that VM.  (I was still compiling against the 1.4.2 JDK, though)

Under 1.5,  the auto-build does not function at all - weird.  Clean does nothing, errors are no detected (partially the fault of the build never running?).  Forcing a build is not possible... unless you choose to revert to the 2.1 build methods (under work in progress).

The preview code formatter of M7 was completely broken, but is seems to be working in M8.  And now that the SourceSafe plugin has been updated, I'm working with M8 again.  Eclipse is so cool.  (Though it seems the next major Netbeans release will be quite good too.)

Offline sma

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-04-06 11:33:29 »

Bad things:
  • The size of the tabs depends on which one is focused.  Concentrate when closing more than one tab!

It's kind of annoying, I agree but for views, I seldom have to close multiple views at once and for editors, I love the new Ctrl+W and Shift+Ctrl+W key bindings to close editor windows.

• They've made "Run Last Launched" even harder to get at by removing the default keypress.

It's a matter of 10secs to put it back Smiley

• No repaint on welcome message.  It looked really nice, but another application interrupted me before I got to read it, and it wouldn't redraw.

Strange. You can open the intro window using Help|Introduction.

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-04-06 12:38:20 »

I love the new Ctrl+W and Shift+Ctrl+W key bindings to close editor windows.

Phenomenal!  I hadn't spotted that one.

[Re: Run Last Launched] It's a matter of 10secs to put it back Smiley

Yeah, but the more you need to customize, the more you'll need to get used to on other people's machines and change when upgrading.  I prefer to keep with an IDE's defaults if at all possible.  This may have to be an exception...

Strange. You can open the intro window using Help|Introduction.

Ah, thanks.  I've now managed to get it back, and it's utterly, utterly broken.  It doesn't redraw, the buttons don't work, and if I minimize and restore the application all the controls shift to the top left quadrant of the screen and everything turns to garbage.  Nice.

I'm sure they'll iron out the small issues.  Another solid build from the Eclipse team!

Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-04-07 19:20:36 »

I've just tried it and all in all I think it looks pretty good.  Not tried anything serious with it.  

I have found one quirk with it though, how do I get my tabs for perspective view back down the left hand side?  They seem to have defaulted to top left and preferences will let you put them under the other buttons but no left hand side Sad

Having said that its a pretty major upgrade for me (I think I was using M5!) so I may have missed something inbetween.    

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Dan.
Offline sma

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-04-08 17:32:56 »

how do I get my tabs for perspective view back down the left hand side?

AFAIK you have to live with its new position. And frankly, I prefer the new way because that gives me ~20px more screen space on my 1024x768px notebook screen.

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-04-18 20:25:59 »

Is anyone else having problems with copy-and-paste in the 3.0 milestone builds?  I suspect I'm seeing some kind of Unicode confusion.  Copied text in Eclipse comes out as mostly question marks in Firebird, while the other way around only the first character is pasted.  I can copy text into OOo, but the other way around again just the first character.

This didn't happen in 2.1.2.  If I use notepad as an intermediary, things work fine - copy text in Firebird, paste in Notepad, select all, copy, paste in Eclipse.  Anyone else seeing this?

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-04-18 20:33:14 »

In fact, here's a line of those question marks:

䱇ㄱ䜮彌乕䥓乇䑅䉟呙E

When they pass through this forum software they come out the other side as 5-digit HTML entity references. Huh

(Edit: BTW, that text should have read "GL11.GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE")

(Edit2: Hmm...  21 characters became 10 references + one character, and the last characters match in each string.  Definitely looks to me like utf-8 being erroneously interpreted as utf-16, or something..)

Offline sma

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-04-19 08:16:55 »

Is anyone else having problems with copy-and-paste in the 3.0 milestone builds?

Yes, but very different ones.  Sometimes, Copy seems to be ignored. Your problem is indeed strange and you should fill-in a bug report if you haven't done so already. I assume you're using Linux. I'm using Windows. That might explain the different behavior.

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-04-19 10:43:28 »

Nope, I'm on Windows as well, although I'm using Win98SE which is probably far older than whatever you're running!

Hi-ho, hi-ho, off to Bugzilla I go...

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-04-24 10:43:26 »

I just had to reinstall everything after my HD died, so I switched to M8, however it keeps bugging me with annoying code warnings.

"Access to enclosing method removeVolatileFromSelection() from the type GlobalControls is emulated by a synthetic accessor method."

blah blah, yadda yadda. I'm perfectly ok with these (and they're not what I'd call synthetic, they actually do something. But I can't find the option to disable this warning in the compile options. Anyone?

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline abies

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-04-24 13:23:11 »

"Access to enclosing method removeVolatileFromSelection() from the type GlobalControls is emulated by a synthetic accessor method."

blah blah, yadda yadda. I'm perfectly ok with these (and they're not what I'd call synthetic, they actually do something. But I can't find the option to disable this warning in the compile options. Anyone?

Why you just do not make removeVolatileFromSelection package scope instead of private ? Keeping is private is kind of cheating yourself -  package-visible syntetic accessor methods will be generated for it anyway.

Artur Biesiadowski
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-04-24 15:24:17 »

Hmm, I could be wrong, but changing the visibility makes it more visible in a way I don't want.

This is inside of an action listener inner class, accessing one of the private objects of the public class it resides next to. If I change the visibility to package-level, then i'm opening it up to other classes within the same package which I don't really want to do.

Am I firmly grasping the wrong end of the stick here? Embarrassed

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

BurntPizza (25 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (17 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (19 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (26 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (29 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (44 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (100 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (50 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (71 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org