Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  java3d to be opensourced  (Read 4527 times)
Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Posted 2004-03-18 05:37:42 »

well, this is official, see j3d section.

Now i'm wondering something...
J3D is going to be a java.net project. will you contribute it with all the marvelous things you did for xith or  continue that way?
I'm asking because with that change in java3d direction, xith might be seen as a duplicate effort.. If  J3D can be adapted to actual needs, is there still a point to Xith?

Home page: http://frederic.barachant.com
------------------------------------------------------
GoSub: java2D gamechmark http://frederic.barachant.com/GoSub/GoSub.jnlp
Offline aNt

AFK

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-03-18 06:10:26 »

cool- we can teef loads of there code Smiley
Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-03-18 06:59:46 »

why has bombadil's post been removed?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Bombadil

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-03-18 07:03:04 »

Sorry for causing confusion - I moved the article to the other thread about J3d in the Xith forum named "looks like we have some competition", in order to keep the focus. :-)
Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-03-18 07:10:16 »

yes, saw that a bit after  when checking other thread... sorry

Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-03-18 08:55:10 »

why has bombadil's post been removed?

Maybe he did it himself.

The danger now is that the (small) 3D development resources and community now may gets split up. It would have been advantagious to reach the upcoming state of Java3D *before* David started his effort. Now some excellent guys work on Xith and I can very well understand they don't want to give it up now.

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 164
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-03-18 09:06:51 »

Unfortunately SUN APIs do have this habbit of soaking up new developers.

JOGL (at least to me) seems to get far more newbies jumping (while LWJGL is a better and more mature solution).

Java3D with the "Made by Sun" tag will most likely hit the groth of Xith. Well that doesn't matter to the guys who are already here it might slow the growth.

Kev

Offline Herkules

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-03-18 09:26:35 »

JOGL (at least to me) seems to get far more newbies jumping (while LWJGL is a better and more mature solution).

Hm, I know ... ask for JINPUT vs. JXInput Sad

As soon as JINPUT suddenly showed up, I knew I can stop working on JXInput.

But for Xith3D the situation is slightly different....

Java3D with the "Made by Sun" tag will most likely hit the groth of Xith. Well that doesn't matter to the guys who are already here it might slow the growth.

Yes, I myself like the "Made by Sun" tag very much! Its like using a standard technology in favor of some freaky opensource stuff (I hope the mood of that sentence comes thru). Reliability, continuity (*caugh*), quality, availibility, support.

Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-03-18 10:18:18 »

The danger now is that the (small) 3D development resources and community now may gets split up. It would have been advantagious to reach the upcoming state of Java3D *before* David started his effort. Now some excellent guys work on Xith and I can very well understand they don't want to give it up now.

This is now that  a decision has to be taken.

rationale: there is not a huge dev community with time available to do it. splitting will slow both, and none will get any thing from the split. J3D will attract more users because of its wide use amongst many  domains. J3D is and will be adverted at the source, all sun sites, while xith will not. Thus xith will become less used. by the time whatever its qualities are. Moreover more and more people will not understand the interest in doing two apis that are so similar, whenever they will learn about xith. i believe they will be right. Points of yesterday might not survive today and to me, xith's point is moot. J3d, while less up to date is way more mature than xith. now that j3d will evolve again, and be open source, i see no reason to continue.

non rationale: Xith is a project  one's invested lots of time, feels like home and one does not want to change habits. one will continue develloping it, whatever the time spent for it and whatever the community becomes.

Okay, the vision is a bit oriented, but i believe that the exageration is small.

Yes, I myself like the "Made by Sun" tag very much! Its like using a standard technology in favor of some freaky opensource stuff (I hope the mood of that sentence comes thru). Reliability, continuity (*caugh*), quality, availibility, support.
And that's the same for lots of people, including me.

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-03-18 10:56:01 »

(We're now discussing the same topic in two different threads on the same forum...)

OK, I also agree that "made by SUN" is a good thing for Java fans, usually...

However, since typically Xith3d is over twice as fast according to Javacooldude's demos (he did them in Java3d and Xith3d), I don't really know how attractive Java3d is to game developers...?
over 100% faster sounds important in gaming measurement, isn't it?

Count to this the statement of Yuri (and other Xith developers) that the optimizing "curve" of Xith3d is only at its beginning...

Of course, a lot of packages and even more Javadocu is still missing in Xith3d. Would it be legal to im/port them to Xith3d, one day Java3d is BSD licenced? :-)
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-03-18 11:06:19 »

Of course, a lot of packages and even more Javadocu is still missing in Xith3d. Would it be legal to im/port them to Xith3d, one day Java3d is BSD licenced? :-)

If Java3D's license will be BSD, then this is legal.

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-03-18 11:51:12 »

However, since typically Xith3d is over twice as fast according to Javacooldude's demos (he did them in Java3d and Xith3d), I don't really know how attractive Java3d is to game developers...?
over 100% faster sounds important in gaming measurement, isn't it?

Well, if it was done in Xith, it should also be doable in java3d. i mean, the structure of source data is very similar. The learnings of Xith must be used on the sources of J3D to bring to what was an api for industrial 3D into an API that can also push polygons faster for gaming. The vision of the original coding was not gaming. if no one pushes it to get there, it will stay the same.
An API evolves as fast as the people that make it can go, and executes as fast  as  the team  made it to. If you can put a spec on a desk and code an implementation in a week, your API will evolve rapidly. if you let slow/unmotivated people do that,  it will evolve at their speed.
We, as a community, have the chance to be implied in the  process and success of the API . it's time to make things move, now that we can.

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-03-18 12:14:22 »

Well, if it was done in Xith, it should also be doable in java3d. i mean, the structure of source data is very similar. The learnings of Xith must be used on the sources of J3D to bring to what was an api for industrial 3D into an API that can also push polygons faster for gaming.

Xith3D has some different concepts, which are probably a reason for the performance difference (David wrote a short document about it). I don't think Java3D's concepts will change a lot.

We, as a community, have the chance to be implied in the  process and success of the API . it's time to make things move, now that we can.

We are able to make things move in Xith3D for quite some time now.

Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-03-18 14:48:15 »

I don't want to upset anyone and I'm no expert but:

Forget J3D. Sure it's possible to do a game with it but that isn't what it was designed for. Xith had this specific purpose in mind from the beginning.

You have control over Xith, if poeple start trying to make radical changes to J3D it will just end up being a p*ssing contest and nothing will ever get done. And frankly anything involving an "expert group" is bound to be incredibly slow moving.

There is nothing wrong with having more than one scenegraph API. I've never understood why people complain about monopolies (MS) an the problems they cause and then turn around and complain when there are choices (Xith and J3D).

Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-03-18 18:24:29 »

Forget J3D. Sure it's possible to do a game with it but that isn't what it was designed for. Xith had this specific purpose in mind from the beginning.

What forbids J3D to evolve to a gaming capability?
You are talking about j3d as it is actually. While at least one great game was done with actual J3D, it does not mean that further one will not be better tuned for you. Amusingly, that also depends on you.

You have control over Xith, if poeple start trying to make radical changes to J3D it will just end up being a p*ssing contest and nothing will ever get done.

That's exactly what i'm afraid of. Undoublty more people will more rally j3d than xith, even in gaming, and i fear that stupid contest will happen.

And frankly anything involving an "expert group" is bound to be incredibly slow moving.

well. original 1.4 timing was of one year. i agree that it is quite a period, but it's not a lot longer than for any project.  Nevertheless, i believe it can be shorter.  I also believe that it will now take way less than that to setup and implement what is planned for 1.4.

There is nothing wrong with having more than one scenegraph API. I've never understood why people complain about monopolies (MS) an the problems they cause and then turn around and complain when there are choices (Xith and J3D).

maybe because you did not understood something i will repeat.  having choice in closed source software of commercial companies is a good thing. they compete to get more money using different arguments (that are nowdays most of the time pure hype or marketing for long lived ones...) Having the choice in APIs is different in our case. basically one community is having the choice to make evolve one or an other of two or more APIs. Each API will evolve based on demand and all needed features will be implemented as soon as they can be. Whatever the API, the demand will mostly (98%) be the same.. they will follow the possibilities of graphic cards and implement new rendering methods, tricks.
All of them will implement new things at their rate. I believe that APIs like xith will do things faster, but will make design changes that will harm users sooner or later, and that due to the time taken to think in slower processes it is less due to come.  Taking time to think is extremly important.
Moreover, having a topnotch 3d api that integrates new features in weeks or months will benefit only a very (very very) small subset  of people.  I don't know what is the current state of cosm, but i bet it does not integrate most of the advanced features of xith, those that are said to be asked by everyone and are actively developed. show me a xith project (except tech demos) that actually uses with's latest features....

I won't get two pets because 'having the choice is better'. having two pets have no point. i want to have one, take best care of it and have all necessary resources to take care of it correctly most of my time, not half or third.

Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-03-18 18:44:56 »

Well I think we'll have to disagree on this one. Smiley Although the entire issue is undoubtably of far more concern to you than me since I really don't do anything serious with this stuff.

I believe that APIs like xith will do things faster, but will make design changes that will harm users sooner or later, and that due to the time taken to think in slower processes it is less due to come.

Isn't the entire point here that you can take a version of the Xith code at any time and you don't have to worry about changes hurting you?

Moreover, having a topnotch 3d api that integrates new features in weeks or months will benefit only a very (very very) small subset  of people.

Again this is just my opinion but simply don't understand what is wrong with that. People that don't want a fast moving gaming specific API can use J3D, people that do can use Xith3D.

What are your thoughts about the size differences between J3D and Xith3D? I haven't checked in a long time but isn't J3D enourmous?

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-03-18 19:57:10 »

I too agree with the "I prefer Sun's version by default, whatever the lib is". When I think about it, though, that's mainly because the majority of opensource libs are VERY poorly documented and poorly supported - when I find an os-lib with a reasonable level of support and quality my reservations generally evaporate.

But with j3d, as a naive person sitting on the fence, I am at the moment waiting to see EXACTLY what j3d's roadmap is. Basically, after the initial excitement I've not been at all impressed with what Sun's done so far with the gaming API's. So much so that I now *automatically* expect that j3d will be useless to me for at least 12 months - and that's leaving aside my prior bad experiences with j3d  immaturity!

I suspect that there's quite a lot of other games devs who've become "disenchanted" with sun on the gaming API's. I also suspect there's not a small number who will think "If Sun is already not able to assign quite enough resources for JOGL etc, is it only going to get worse (even less sun involvement with the dev) with an extra API under the auspices of the GTG?". I'm not saying this is accurate or fair - but I think it's easy to think it if you don't know much about the details.

For the record, the j3d announcement has itself also reduced my interest in j3d (really!). The repeated pattern of letting outsiders do lots of work and then basically tripping them up and undermining the work has been re-inforced here. It's not a philosophical issue - it's simply one of trust: as my trust for Sun goes down, I become less confident that they won't e.g. change their mind and stop all j3d development in 6 months time. Yes, this is different from the JInput case. But it's not that different, and now what was an "isolated incident" that already stuck in my throat looks like it's juist the first in a pattern.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-03-18 20:08:27 »

But...if j3d announcements come out saying basically that they're going to alter the architecture in similar ways as Xith (e.g. w.r.t. threading) and that it'll be focussed at games developers, etc etc etc...I'm going to be faced with a hard decision.

Really, I'm hoping they don't do that, because then my decision is quite easy.

There are also other major changes that could conceivably be made to j3d that would make it so much better than x3d (technically) that it would swing me.

I would say: don't even start to give up on x3d until at least 6 months after the next release of j3d. That should be long enough that you'll see whether:

• lots more scenegraph games appear, and it's mostly j3d
  • few more scenegraph games appear, and j3d is clearly having no real effect
  • people are trying both at once, and going one way or the other; and you'll have a good idea of why they choose each
  • lots of people find j3d, find it sucks, and someone tells them about x3d so they switch.

Note: from what I can see, that last option is starting to happen for a lot of people with JOGL/LWJGL. There's a long lead time because a lot of people won't seriously use an API until it's been "in the wild" for a couple of months, then it takes them a couple of months to get used to it, then they spend another month getting deep into it. It's at this point that they start to discover the fundamentl problems or realise certain things will never get fixed. This is when they are ripe to change to a new API.

To a certain extent, so long as j3d games  developers are attracted to jgo.org, they will find x3d if it's significantly superior - just like with jogl/lwjgl. The GTG guys have done good work with promoting the 3rd party game libs via their own forum cats etc, and I'm assuming this would continue.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-03-18 20:24:13 »

What are your thoughts about the size differences between J3D and Xith3D? I haven't checked in a long time but isn't J3D enourmous?

xith is a 765Kb compressed jar (1580Kb uncompressed jar)
and needs jogl which is a 552kb compressed jar (1437kb decompressed jar)  and 472kb  dll on windows. add joal to have sound and it make 90more kb.
that makes 765 + 552 + 472 +90 = 1879 kb compressed or 3579 Kb uncompressed.
Note: did not count vecmath.jar, as i did not knew if it was used.

java3d is 4 jars that are installed uncompressed (for performance reasons) of 5005  Kb (2616kb compressed) and two dlls that are 224kb.
note: j3daudio.jar includes a 1.1mb gm soundbank...
that makes 2816kb compressed and  5229 kb uncompressed.

It is not that big for both, and a difference of 1073kb...
if you remove the soundbank, j3d and xith have almost the same size..  Xiith is only 5kb smaller if soundbank is compressed and bigger of 80Kb if we remove the sounbank uncompressed....
While xith  has more up to date features, it is way less complete globally than j3d. thus, we can say that feature wise, j3d is way smaller than xith.

Tell me if i forgot a file, somewhere...

Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-03-19 04:34:35 »

Isn't the entire point here that you can take a version of the Xith code at any time and you don't have to worry about changes hurting you?

well it is true for anything. if you don't update, you won't be bothered by changes.....  Grin

Again this is just my opinion but simply don't understand what is wrong with that. People that don't want a fast moving gaming specific API can use J3D, people that do can use Xith3D.

well.. I'll answer with questions, if you don't mind.
Do you base your games on graphic card features?
Is there any interest of having the benefit of latest features in weeks or  few month for a game project ? (a serious one.. one that takes months to complete)
and finally, the most important one to my eyes...

Can we simply afford it?

Offline abies

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-03-19 05:41:55 »

Do you base your games on graphic card features?
Is there any interest of having the benefit of latest features in weeks or  few month for a game project ? (a serious one.. one that takes months to complete)

You mean like adding this available-just-for-last-two-days, cutting edge, unsupported-on-most-GPUs feature like stencil buffer ? Indeed, nobody sane would use such experimental feature in his game, so there was no need to put it into java3d for last 6 years...

{sarcasm off}

I don't think anybody really means nvidia 5950-only features here. But java3d is lacking certain things which are standard since 5 years. I don't believe it will start to include them magically with new development model.

Artur Biesiadowski
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-03-19 06:16:28 »

xith is a 765Kb compressed jar (1580Kb uncompressed jar)
and needs jogl which is a 552kb compressed jar (1437kb decompressed jar)  and 472kb  dll on windows. add joal to have sound and it make 90more kb.
that makes 765 + 552 + 472 +90 = 1879 kb compressed or 3579 Kb uncompressed.
Note: did not count vecmath.jar, as i did not knew if it was used.

As I already said, we did not optimize for size. Throwing out the debugging and the demos would definitely reduce the size of Xith3D and possibly you can throw out more Xith3D packages, if you don't use them.

What you are basically trying to say in this thread is that we should stop developing Xith3D and move to Sun's Java3D. There are some problems doing this:

1. So far there is only an announcement, Java3D 1.4 is not yet out and Open Source. You are assuming that the disadvantages of Java3D will vanish, but currently we don't know exactly what will happen. Don't know if it makes sense to try to somehow get involved in the JCP. (I won't do it.)

2. Xith3D's structure is already different to Java3D. The scenegraph is basically the same. Sound, rendering, loaders, physics are different. Xith3D is not thread safe and uses only floats. I don't know if you are aware of that, because I never saw any posts of you in the Xith3D forum.

3. You are seeing Xith3D as a duplicate effort. Currently it's the other way round. Sun has the bad habit of letting others do the work and then coming up with their own implementations without communicating or respecting the work others have done.

4. Xith3D is truely Open Source. Questions, bug reports, patches, tutorials, new developers are very welcome. It's not clear if this will be valid for Java3D.

I agree with Adam, that we have to wait at least some months until we can draw conclusions.

The problem I see is that Java scenegraph APIs are already a niche and now that a big player (Java3D) is in the game again, the niche for Xith3D may become even smaller. There are other scenegraph APIs like jME and OpenMind. Another approach than simply giving up Xith3D, would be to talk to them and perhaps creating a single project out of these APIs.

The positive aspect is that we can also learn from Java3D, if it's further developed and we can reuse their code, if it's Open Source. If Xith3D remains a vital project I don't see Java3D getting ahead of us.

Offline William

No Exit

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-03-19 06:34:07 »

I think the decision to open source Java3D is great because it lets the Xith3D folks grab some functionality that they haven't yet implemented. I don't think the decision will make Xith3D go away though, since if anyone forks Java3D to be optimized for games the fork will be just as "unofficial" as Xith3D.

Maybe the expert group will remove the multi-threaded execution architecture from the Java3D spec and ignore other needs of the visualization coomunity in favour of the game development community, but until they do, the official Java3D API will still be a lot less appropriate for games than Xith3D.
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-03-19 07:10:44 »

As I already said, we did not optimize for size. Throwing out the debugging and the demos would definitely reduce the size of Xith3D and possibly you can throw out more Xith3D packages, if you don't use them.

What you are basically trying to say in this thread is that we should stop developing Xith3D and move to Sun's Java3D. There are some problems doing this:

1. So far there is only an announcement, Java3D 1.4 is not yet out and Open Source. You are assuming that the disadvantages of Java3D will vanish, but currently we don't know exactly what will happen. Don't know if it makes sense to try to somehow get involved in the JCP. (I won't do it.)

2. Xith3D's structure is already different to Java3D. The scenegraph is basically the same. Sound, rendering, loaders, physics are different. Xith3D is not thread safe and uses only floats. I don't know if you are aware of that, because I never saw any posts of you in the Xith3D forum.

3. You are seeing Xith3D as a duplicate effort. Currently it's the other way round. Sun has the bad habit of letting others do the work and then coming up with their own implementations without communicating or respecting the work others have done.

4. Xith3D is truely Open Source. Questions, bug reports, patches, tutorials, new developers are very welcome. It's not clear if this will be valid for Java3D.

I agree with Adam, that we have to wait at least some months until we can draw conclusions.

The problem I see is that Java scenegraph APIs are already a niche and now that a big player (Java3D) is in the game again, the niche for Xith3D may become even smaller. There are other scenegraph APIs like jME and OpenMind. Another approach than simply giving up Xith3D, would be to talk to them and perhaps creating a single project out of these APIs.

The positive aspect is that we can also learn from Java3D, if it's further developed and we can reuse their code, if it's Open Source. If Xith3D remains a vital project I don't see Java3D getting ahead of us.

Well said Jens, you have really summed up the situation well.

Point 1 is very important.  As Tom Clancy writes - "assumption is the mother of all f**kups".

Good point regarding Xith3D size - it's an order of magnitute larger atm as we are compiling with full debugging info.

Will.

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-03-19 07:16:48 »

Please continue your good work on Xith. :-)  It's already a great API to use, even if it's still in alpha phase. So we can be on edge when in the future it will go version 1.00 ... :-)

There's a need for a game specialized 3d API for Java and I think we find this in Xith. Javacooldude's demos are typically over twice as fast as the same ones in J3d. I don't see how J3d would compete with Xith on the games front. Aside games J3d is a good general purpose 3d API, I read. This explains why it's slower on one special task: "just" games. So it's not a "problem", it's a design decision.
The reasons for Xith3d being so fast are many. David's small PDF overview on the Xith3d docu site shows the basics. Like Jens said, Xith targets a specialist market. So it's got different goals than J3d, and vice versa.

If you target fast 3d games and/or casual gamer's PCs, your choice is clear. Not to mention that Yuri and David told several times that the optimization potential of Xith3d is only at its beginning.
Since J3d obviously has got different goals, I don't think we'll see similar optimization efforts for J3d - why should they spent their time for such when for 3d applications it means no win? Would be silly.

It's good that SUN continues its nice J3d and makes it better. This helps the Java folks, the industry using Java, etc. There's a great need for a general purpose 3D API.

Having said all this, of course for both 3d APIs it makes sense to share knowledge and join efforts where possible. Clearly I vote that Xith3d continues to keep Java3d API compatible where possible. This strengthens both APIs' user groups.
It would also be very nice if we could share utilities, loaders, etc. for both APIs. When J3D goes OpenSource (BSD?), we could even import and export parts of the APIs to the other one. I think this would be great.

PS: Of course I'd love to see a "perfect 3d API being best at all purposes", but that's an utopia. :-)
Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-03-19 07:41:30 »

Hi
 One other major advantage of Xith3D is that sun almost certainly won't release j3d under a BSD style license, which will mean they retain control, so next time they put it in a holding pattern it will sit there and nothing will move. Where as if david, yuri, william and co get bored and move on, being open source, someone will come in and take over if there is still the interest in it.

Cheers

Endolf

Offline William

No Exit

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-03-19 09:19:15 »

Let's hope Sun chooses a real open source license, rather than the non-free Sun Community Source License, or they could cause real trouble for the Xith3D developers. After all, the core Java libraries are released under the SCSL and this has forced the GNU Classpath project to require that all its developers have never agreed to that license by looking at the sources.

OTOH, I wonder what the role of the expert group and the JCP would be if Sun went with a real open source license. Would they control what implementations that get to use the Java3D brand? Maybe just control what implementations get distributed from the java.sun.com site?
Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-03-19 10:07:19 »

Hi
 Doug (i think) said that it would be somewhere between BSD and SCSL, so we can assume it won't be completely open, on the other hand, it won't be so closed as some of the other source. We will just have to wait and see, odds are, you won't be able to teef code from java3d for xith though Smiley

Cheers

Endolf

Offline Ifadolai

Java forever!!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-03-19 12:58:15 »

I think the biggest problem here is that the community using Java for 3D is very small. And that means the number of 3D experts who are able and want to help develop a 3D API is very very limited.

Right now those experts are making:
- Open-mind
- Aviatrix3d
- jME
- Jist3D
- Xith3D.

As I see it there is no experts left for Java3D. Sun simply was too slow, it had its opportunity and did not grab it.

Nikolai V. Christensen, Computer Engineer,
Simulation and Training department
IFAD, Forskerparken 10A, DK-5230 Odense M
Denmark, EU
Phone: +45 63 15 71 31  Fax: +45 65 93 29 99
Offline Herkules

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-03-19 15:18:56 »

Cry

Sometimes I am a little bit of an expert myself ... and what about you?

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (21 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (55 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (33 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (54 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (24 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (30 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (28 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (37 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org