Offline elect

JGO Knight

Medals: 71

« Reply #120 - Posted 2019-10-23 11:22:08 »

http://www.jvm-gaming.org/ prints just the default nginx page
Offline abcdef
« Reply #121 - Posted 2019-10-24 04:27:11 »

@riven

I'm not sure you really want any migration to happen. You say "what do you want to happen next", but you don't read any of the replies I have already sent you. I sent you something on Sept 20th.

Having a dialog going once a month is not working. So far we have spent 2 months doing nothing and we are no closer to where we were 2 months ago.

@elect

Should be working now, not sure what went wrong.

@princec

I'm not sure it's worth waiting a month based on the current rate of progress
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1370
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #122 - Posted 2019-10-24 07:47:42 »

@riven

I'm not sure you really want any migration to happen. You say "what do you want to happen next", but you don't read any of the replies I have already sent you. I sent you something on Sept 20th.

Having a dialog going once a month is not working. So far we have spent 2 months doing nothing and we are no closer to where we were 2 months ago.

Nice - equating 1 missed message, to undermining my willingness to hand things over.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #123 - Posted 2019-10-24 08:05:00 »

@riven - here is a list of things that would be useful

- you had a list of criteria for any migration to happen, has this been met in your eyes?
if you could reset my credentials on jvm-gaming.org, so i could login and browse around, that would be great. i tried to sign up, but didn't receive the activation-mail, and i couldn't find oauth-integration.

- what involvement do you want in the site post any migration?
very little, i simply don't have the time

- what are the Google Oauth credentials linked to (ie which Gmail id)? Are you willing to hand these over?
you can create your own credentials for jvm-gaming.org, ito test integration with google's oauth.

- if you don't want to be involved are you happy to hand over the hostname? For me to create Google Oauth I need to have access to the domain DNS record and add in proof that I am affiliated to it (it would also be easier if the hostname had to change)
i can make changes to the dns-records for you - if everything runs well and good (in production) we may transfer domains.

- your test data set didn't have any like data in it, is it possible to get this? Subsequently is it easy to export your appreciates in to likes?
sure, the data is in the table jgo_appreciation - maybe that wasn't exported, but either way, it's just a table-name and a set of user-id's and msg-id's, you can label it anything you like... appreciation,likes,hugs,etc - it's up to you, i don't have to 'export' it any differently.

- can you provide all the image files you have?
we don't host user-generated-content anymore, hardly anybody uses the 'my files' link in the jgo-header.

- enhance the rewrite rule to include URLs with the post id in, those can't be re written to point to a specific post in a topic but it can be converted to the new topic
- need to sign up for an anti spam service, no capatchas for discourse.
anti-spam is a complex issue, which was rather surprisingly 99.9% solved by having a little quiz in the activation process.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1120
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #124 - Posted 2019-10-24 08:26:30 »

The anti-spam measures also seemed to coincide with the site dying. Or so it seemed to me, anyway. I think it may have been broken in some way.

Cas Smiley

Offline elect

JGO Knight

« Reply #125 - Posted 2019-10-24 09:01:21 »

@elect

Should be working now, not sure what went wrong.

Yep, I can confirm.

I tried to recover my account, no email so far
Offline abcdef
« Reply #126 - Posted 2019-10-24 09:19:11 »

@riven
@elect

To get the email recovery I will need an email as the user dump provided had the emails stripped. If you pm me I will set the email in the back end and then send you an activation email

@riven
On the Oauth (I'm no expert here), if we re point java-gaming.org to the new host then the Oauth credentials will need to be from that domain. The jvm-gaming.org was just a placeholder address to test with. If you don't have any Oauth keys then I can tell you what you need to add to the DNS record for Google to verify.

On the images I was after the site images not the images people have posted.

Once we agree this is the right way forward I will fix the remaining issues (one more redirect needed and the anti spam). The discourse would also need configuring when the java-gaming domain points to the new host and becomes the primary host to access the site.
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #127 - Posted 2019-10-24 09:26:33 »

you don't need the java-gaming.org google-oauth2 keys, to work on google-oauth2 integration on your own domain. integrating google-oauth2 may take you a few hours of tinkering and testing - none of which is blocked by me in any way. you can move ahead, without any dependencies.

if you'd take over hosting JGO, then we can swap-in the hostname, you could create new keys in a matter of minutes, and point your fully tested oauth2-integration to the new domain.

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #128 - Posted 2019-10-24 09:29:05 »

JGO doesn't have images, apart from the logo and the SMF-graphics: (which were slightly modified)

http://www.java-gaming.org/Themes/default/images/

just download this open directory.

Offline abcdef
« Reply #129 - Posted 2019-10-24 11:22:27 »

@elect I updated you address and sent you an activation email

@riven I see you created a new Id, I made that I'd an admin so you can see what admin looks like. I'll look to see if I can create Oauth keys for the other domain.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline abcdef
« Reply #130 - Posted 2019-10-25 05:00:23 »

I turned on the Google authentication and it works with the testadmin account I have
Offline elect

JGO Knight

« Reply #131 - Posted 2019-10-28 08:48:28 »

Ok, I could login with my google account, everything looks good to me

If you also like it, we should set this read only and do the moving asap, before princec shuts everything down and the forum software thing will fall into the obliovion again  Wink
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #132 - Posted 2019-10-28 09:40:50 »

Make announcements of the URL then! Let's see it in action.

Cas Smiley

Offline abcdef
« Reply #133 - Posted 2019-10-28 11:50:23 »

Steps for the migration

1) need @riven to provide a dump of the latest data set with emails included. Appreciates won't be copied across but I'm sure it's a small price to pay.

2) I need to add one more rule for redirect so old posts link (this will be quick to do)

3) eventually need java-gaming to point to the new site, and if possible to get the host transferred
Offline FabulousFellini
« Reply #134 - Posted 2019-10-29 14:38:16 »

For those of us not in the know, when this is done how will it affect me?  Will I have to do anything different to login and stuff or go to a different URL?

-FabulousFellini
www.fabulousfellini.com
Offline philfrei
« Reply #135 - Posted 2019-10-29 15:55:27 »

For those of us not in the know, when this is done how will it affect me?  Will I have to do anything different to login and stuff or go to a different URL?

Yes, some having instructions is an important step!

Great work bringing this project so far along! We are almost there.

music and music apps: http://adonax.com
Offline Drenius
« Reply #136 - Posted 2019-10-29 17:14:51 »

We are almost there.

Let's agree to disagree here.
The actual database migration seems to be coming along nicely, which is good to hear, but that is not all there is to do. Barring the things that tend to go wrong, this would actually even be the trivial part.

As far as I can tell, no major thought has so far gone into anything in regards to organization or any kind of design for the new site, be it visually, functionally, socially or anything really.

Saying you are "almost there" is really ignoring pretty much everything that goes into running a community site properly.
Offline FabulousFellini
« Reply #137 - Posted 2019-10-29 17:57:28 »

Are you helping with all this, @Drenius?  Or are you just commenting to be negative?  To be completely honest, the main reason I never went on the Discord except for like once, is because of you and how negative you are about every single thing in life or every single thing on the internet.   How bout "We're almost there", you take as, cool we're making progress instead of no we're not.

-FabulousFellini
www.fabulousfellini.com
Offline elect

JGO Knight

« Reply #138 - Posted 2019-10-29 22:38:59 »

Let's agree to disagree here.
The actual database migration seems to be coming along nicely, which is good to hear, but that is not all there is to do. Barring the things that tend to go wrong, this would actually even be the trivial part.

As far as I can tell, no major thought has so far gone into anything in regards to organization or any kind of design for the new site, be it visually, functionally, socially or anything really.

Saying you are "almost there" is really ignoring pretty much everything that goes into running a community site properly.

Well, a modern software forum is really the basic step that need to be taken in the first place.

You cant really go much wrong moving from an old one to a modern one.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #139 - Posted 2019-10-30 10:33:58 »

Drenius is our very own Marvin the Paranoid Android, don't worry about it. Carry on getting it sorted. Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc. but at least sort out the domains and post a URL soon so we can start using it and tailoring it to what we want it to be. The very first and only topic in the new forum should be "what do we want to have in the forum" and we can start the discussion in there.

Cas Smiley

Offline abcdef
« Reply #140 - Posted 2019-10-30 12:44:02 »

The first post is already there by elect  Smiley

URL is https://www.jvm-gaming.org/

Currently contains the dump Riven provided, forums will be deleted when the next dump comes in, if there is a consensus on the new setup can apply it when the new version comes up

To get access send me the email you want associated with you (last dump had no emails). I will then activate your account and you can then login.
Offline SHC
« Reply #141 - Posted 2019-10-30 13:06:57 »

I tried logging in there, but am not getting any email. Trying to login via Google seems to be going to register a new account with a different user name instead.

Offline abcdef
« Reply #142 - Posted 2019-10-30 13:22:07 »

That's because there is no email to send to or to link with Google.  As I mentioned previously the last dump of data had no emails so your user id there has a dummy imported address (as its a mandatory field)
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #143 - Posted 2019-10-30 13:25:47 »

Can we not just go through the ordinary registration process?
<edit> Aha I see why not

Cas Smiley

Offline SHC
« Reply #144 - Posted 2019-10-30 13:45:14 »

Yep, I got it now. By the way, I wanted to comment regarding your post: https://www.jvm-gaming.org/t/few-changes-in-categories/49991

Are we also going to keep the current forum as read-only? If so, I don't get the point of migrating the dumps. Can you clarify that?

Offline abcdef
« Reply #145 - Posted 2019-10-30 14:03:01 »

My view was the data would completely migrate to the new forum. The existing hostname would eventually map to the new forum and the new forum would URL rewrite the old links to point to the new forum link
Offline FabulousFellini
« Reply #146 - Posted 2019-10-30 21:00:34 »

I would like to formally apologize to @Drenius for the things I said yesterday in this forum.   this is a java gaming forum, not a call people out forum.  @Drenius I know is smart as shit, and maybe we have different views on things, but this forum is not the time or the place to worry about that type of thing.  So, @Drenius, I am sorry, lets just get this forum up and running well.

-FabulousFellini
www.fabulousfellini.com
Offline Drenius
« Reply #147 - Posted 2019-10-30 21:32:12 »

Thank you. As discussed in PM, I do not think you are without a point here.

Also, this seems like a good point to formally acknowledge and appreciate the effort made since and before by abcdef, SHC and princec. Thanks guys.
Offline SHC
« Reply #148 - Posted 2019-10-31 11:17:28 »

Thank you @Drenius, but I feel I didn't do much here. I did attempt porting the forum, but now I think I have chosen the wrong target. Flarum made 3 releases after I started my attempt of migration, but still, it is not stable.

Also, my lack of experience with SQL and PHP has hindered the progress. Much of the thanks belongs to @abcdef, he is the one who pulled this feat off successfully. I should also appreciate @philfrei here, he tried a lot to guide the efforts into the right path and gave me hints on where to look when I told him that I'm stuck.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this moving into the correct direction. If you guys think I can be of any help, feel free to reach out to me.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #149 - Posted 2019-10-31 11:39:20 »

I did bugger all too, except maybe grease the wheels...

Cas Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  ignore  |  Print  

Riven (138 views)
2019-09-04 15:33:17

hadezbladez (4669 views)
2018-11-16 13:46:03

hadezbladez (1699 views)
2018-11-16 13:41:33

hadezbladez (4905 views)
2018-11-16 13:35:35

hadezbladez (981 views)
2018-11-16 13:32:03

EgonOlsen (4277 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (5098 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (2898 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (3820 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (4196 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36
Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2019-05-14 16:15:13

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:15:36

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:13:34

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-02-17 20:25:53

Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org