games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Start Fresh?  (Read 27124 times)
Offline mudlee
« Reply #150 - Posted 2019-10-31 18:38:51 »

Guys, I tried to login with my jgo credentials but it says my password or username is incorrect. Tried to send a forgotten password email and it said the username is registered and I must have gotten the email, but I got nothing.

I might missed something though.
Offline abcdef
« Reply #151 - Posted 2019-10-31 19:58:45 »

@mudlee - As mentioned before the emails were not provided in the test dump so there is no place to send recovery emails too. If you pm your email I will add it in the back end then send you an activation email.
Offline abcdef
« Reply #152 - Posted 2019-10-31 20:00:28 »

We are all a happy family again  Smiley. It's a team effort and we all help out where we can.

The hard part of having a migration that is possible is complete and we just need to schedule in a day for it to happen (lock down here, migrate there)

@Drenius is right in a way too, there is a lot we can now configure and reorganise in the new discourse to make it work well. The good news is the changes are very easy to make and the other good news is we can do it on an ongoing basis once we move. The bad news is you are all going to have to help in suggesting what those changes are  Smiley. Drenius has already helped with some colour suggestions (which look good).
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1126
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #153 - Posted 2019-10-31 22:20:48 »

I do particularly like the dark theme Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1126
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #154 - Posted 2019-11-05 09:48:10 »

Ok, so... progress update?

The new forum is functional and awaits users.

Cas Smiley

Offline abcdef
« Reply #155 - Posted 2019-11-05 12:36:42 »

@princec

We are waiting on @Riven to login again to arrange the migration itself with a new data set and emails included and a date that we can work together to make it happen. Then need to transfer the domain across.
Offline FabulousFellini
« Reply #156 - Posted 2019-11-05 19:57:44 »

Thank you @Drenius, but I feel I didn't do much here. I did attempt porting the forum, but now I think I have chosen the wrong target. Flarum made 3 releases after I started my attempt of migration, but still, it is not stable.

Also, my lack of experience with SQL and PHP has hindered the progress. Much of the thanks belongs to @abcdef, he is the one who pulled this feat off successfully. I should also appreciate @philfrei here, he tried a lot to guide the efforts into the right path and gave me hints on where to look when I told him that I'm stuck.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this moving into the correct direction. If you guys think I can be of any help, feel free to reach out to me.

I'm not really sure how complicated the SQL is for this site, but judging on the SQL we used for a pretty big retail site, I would bet 100 dollars you could learn whatever you need to in like a day if you tried.    Pretty sure you would just "get it".

-FabulousFellini
www.fabulousfellini.com
Offline philfrei
« Reply #157 - Posted 2019-11-05 22:15:50 »

LOL I mailed "abcdefg" instead of "abcdef".

OK, trying again. Looking forward to helping with the new site. I've talked earlier about possible category changes and additions. Am holding off on more suggestions until things get a bit more settled.

music and music apps: http://adonax.com
Offline SHC
« Reply #158 - Posted 2019-11-06 07:44:53 »

I'm not really sure how complicated the SQL is for this site, but judging on the SQL we used for a pretty big retail site, I would bet you could learn whatever you need to in like a day if you tried.    Pretty sure you would just "get it".

It's not that I didn't get. I got things to work, but they are not properly optimized. For porting half of the users, it took around 6 hours. And then, Flarum which is what I tried to port to, kept changing and isn't stable, requiring changes in my script.

Offline ral0r2
« Reply #159 - Posted 2019-11-06 11:52:27 »

I do particularly like the dark theme Smiley

Cas Smiley

The dark theme looks so great!
For me it appears way more cleaner than the white one somehow.

Just a thought but maybe consider making it default? Might be only a personal preference though since white is more appealing for me thost ppl I think.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline elect

JGO Knight

Medals: 72

« Reply #160 - Posted 2019-11-06 12:40:03 »

The dark theme looks so great!
For me it appears way more cleaner than the white one somehow.

Just a thought but maybe consider making it default? Might be only a personal preference though since white is more appealing for me thost ppl I think.

Well, jme went dark and I never heard people complaining.

We can absolutely make it default

I took the chance on the fly and opened a poll, embarassingly easy.. Discourse is so awesome  Cool
Offline ShchAlexander
« Reply #161 - Posted 2019-11-08 20:43:50 »

Have issues with google login.
I registered here with google and never had password here.

For now when I'm trying to login on jvm-gaming.org it shows "Create new account" pop-up and I can't use my old username.
Any thoughts?
Offline philfrei
« Reply #162 - Posted 2019-11-08 21:05:57 »

@ShchAlexander

At this point we have to message abcdef with a request that includes the email you wish to use for the account.

@abcdef

This question is coming up a lot! It's clearly the case where many people are finding out about jvm-gaming.org but not seeing the previous posts about the need to message you for special handling.

Leave things this way for now, until more setup has been done? Or maybe provide more info on the error message that comes up with the login at jvm-gaming.org? The latter could potentially create a lot of additional work for you if lots of requests for setup come pouring in.

music and music apps: http://adonax.com
Offline abcdef
« Reply #163 - Posted 2019-11-09 08:04:25 »

jvm-gaming.org is a dump of java-gaming.org with posts till 2017. The dump had no email addresses because, rightly, @riven did not want to give personable information to anyone till he was sure that that person had good intents. The result is jvm-gaming.org was loaded with blank emails so you can neither get a password reset or link with google.

If you send me your email I can manually add you but be aware that the jvm-gaming.org will be reloaded with a complete set of posts and emails once riven provides a dataset and we arrange a time for this forum to be locked down.

There is nothing I can do about "fixing" this problem until I get the data and we have arrange a migration date.

Because of the login issues on this site there could be quite a few people with no email address here either, which will make the migration interesting Smiley
Offline FabulousFellini
« Reply #164 - Posted 2019-11-09 18:25:58 »

Drenius is our very own Marvin the Paranoid Android, don't worry about it. Carry on getting it sorted. Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc. but at least sort out the domains and post a URL soon so we can start using it and tailoring it to what we want it to be. The very first and only topic in the new forum should be "what do we want to have in the forum" and we can start the discussion in there.

Cas Smiley

If this is true, which I know you were kidding, I would love to hear @Drenius lullabies. 

" compose a number of lullabies" - from the wiki

@Drenius this is completely a joke, but maybe I'll start a thread about us programmers and game makers composing lullabies.  But all the lullabies have to be about programming.  lol this seems fun...

-FabulousFellini
www.fabulousfellini.com
Offline ral0r2
« Reply #165 - Posted 2019-11-18 10:04:36 »

As far as I can relate the core of the new site is working. What are the next steps? What problems do we have and still need to solve to get the new site to a good feeling state? We should really not lose the drive in that thing because of the effort people already put it and anyway it's a good thing. Is it maybe worth to setup a trello with a list of things we still have to do?

The things which I currently see are the following:

• migrate the latest database state with emails so that logins of legacy accounts are fully working (I understand the concerns of @riven here but ultimately we should decide on how to handle this to get it to a appropriate state)
  • test the new forum extensively
  • configure the new forum appropriately - things like title length etc. must be fixed / set
  • lock the old forum and set some link to the new one? (because running two forums parallel would be bad)
  • advertise the new launch? (just a thought we should discuss)

I'm probably missing a lot of stuff or we could split down these things in minor tasks. As I already said we really should keep this going because we made it quite far already and a lot of effort was already put in to this. Furthermore if I relate correctly @princec pays the server so we should not waste that man's money.
Offline abcdef
« Reply #166 - Posted 2019-11-20 07:01:48 »

You have summed it up pretty well, the biggest thing outstanding is the actual migration (new data dump and lock down with host transfer). The rest can be done when the new site is up and running.

Just waiting on @riven to appear. He has been on semi recently but no updates from him so far
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  ignore  |  Print  

Riven (185 views)
2019-09-04 15:33:17

hadezbladez (4864 views)
2018-11-16 13:46:03

hadezbladez (1785 views)
2018-11-16 13:41:33

hadezbladez (5136 views)
2018-11-16 13:35:35

hadezbladez (1016 views)
2018-11-16 13:32:03

EgonOlsen (4367 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (5215 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (2946 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (3867 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (4293 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36
Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2019-05-14 16:15:13

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:15:36

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:13:34

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-02-17 20:25:53

Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org