Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The Vehicular Epic  (Read 18954 times)
Offline RyanAlbano

Junior Devvie

Medals: 5
Projects: 1

« Posted 2017-07-10 01:19:39 »

The Vehicular Epic (V.E.) is the modernized version of my 'Need for Madness Revised and Recharged' series. Since then, V.E.'s been overhauled with many improvements like real 3D graphics, full customization of vehicles, and multiplayer L.A.N. games. V.E. is fully open-source.
Remember to extract the game's folder from its compressed format to your computer before trying to start playing.
For more about the game e-mail RyanAlbano1@gmail.com
Link here:
https://ryan-albano.itch.io/the-vehicular-epic
If you want to play in multiplayer, or simply keep up with the project, join my Discord page:
https://discord.gg/y4tPpsT

Game as of the given date:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FDQPDPZ6zHQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FDQPDPZ6zHQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

Medals: 9
Exp: 5 years

« Reply #1 - Posted 2017-08-05 09:06:14 »

Nice game... actually the first playable JavaFX 3D game with actual content.  Cheesy

Cheers

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Offline RyanAlbano

Junior Devvie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2017-08-05 19:48:18 »

How was the performance? My system's pretty good, but I fear the game's going to be slow (or fail) on older computers.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2017-08-10 10:27:23 »

I had around 20-40 FPS and some stuttering in the camera flow (the game itself was fluent, only the movement of the camera was strange – is this intentional?).
My computer is pretty old (dual core 2.6 Ghz CPU), but the game ran fine. JavaFX runs well if you have OpenGL 3.0 support (on Linux for my part).
Another strange thing: The menu is a bit slow and the selected entry is flickering?!
I also had a look at your source code because I am considering which graphics engine I am going to use for future projects. I found was a bit messy with methods called "pp" or "pl" Cheesy
But all in all – well done!

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Offline Gornova
« Reply #4 - Posted 2017-10-11 20:10:41 »

works fine for me, there is a way to exit from a game and go back to menu from ingame ?

Blog | Last game Drone Swarm
Offline RyanAlbano

Junior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2017-10-12 03:13:47 »

Press Enter or Escape
Offline gouessej
« Reply #6 - Posted 2017-12-17 14:59:41 »

Hi

Good job. I advise you to use a versioning system (GIT, Subversion) to help developers to follow the changes in your source code. Moreover, packaging it as a Netbeans project is a bad idea to me, Netbeans generates tons of files, why not using a build tool like Gradle, Ant or Maven? Instead of packaging your game as an "executable" JAR, you should rather package it as a complete software with all necessary dependencies, it would be helpful for GNU Linux users as only a few distros (Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu) support OpenJFX (JavaFX) and numerous end users have no JRE installed on their machines. Drive your game easier to install if you want to target non technical end users and not only Java programmers. Good luck.

Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website | Jogamp
Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2018-05-07 14:12:18 »

Nice work, no crashes so far, tough it complained (in the console) about being unable to load sound files from within the jar when simply running it. Otherwise it ran fine, still the selected menu entry is flickering a bit (or rather the border around it), see my previous post.

Is it intentional that there are no textures at all in the game? Also the graphics look a bit pale and dull.
What are your experiences with JavaFX? I think it isn't really suited for games, especially not 3D games. In my next game I'm gonna use either LibGDX or JMonkeyEngine.

Cheers

Offline RyanAlbano

Junior Devvie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2018-05-27 19:46:14 »

There should be textures, actually  Huh
What are your computer specifications?
Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2018-05-29 14:29:10 »

There should be textures, actually  Huh
What are your computer specifications?

Where are some textures, to check for sure? I tested the game on a HD 6450, on which other JavaFX apps run fine with all graphical features. I mean, there are no image textures at all, but all of the shapes are properly colored and lighted. No errors in command line, except those with the music files, but thats my fault as I saw in the readme.

Also, the LOD makes those triangles on the ground appear and disappear all the time… maybe let them fade in and/or set the LOD distance higher?

Cheers

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline RyanAlbano

Junior Devvie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2018-06-01 03:23:00 »

Nearly all of the track pieces should be textured. Many of the vehicles have textures as well. Also there should be image textures in the game's 'images' folder.
Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2018-06-01 12:52:44 »

Nearly all of the track pieces should be textured. Many of the vehicles have textures as well. Also there should be image textures in the game's 'images' folder.

Alright, I've investigated a bit more.

There are actually images in the folder, and I also had a look at the source code. I think that the paths to your images are not working, at least on Linux.

I always wondered why there was no exception, it seems they're turned off by default. So I enabled the switch "-Dprism.verbose=true" and I got exceptions, namely the following (first one):
java.io.FileNotFoundException: images/Water.jpg (File not found)
   at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
   at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:220)
   at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:158)
   at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:113)
   at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:86)
   at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:184)
   at java.base/java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1117)
   at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.iio.common.ImageTools.createInputStream(ImageTools.java:486)
   at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.iio.ImageStorage.loadAll(ImageStorage.java:311)
   at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.PrismImageLoader2.loadAll(PrismImageLoader2.java:127)
   at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.PrismImageLoader2.<init>(PrismImageLoader2.java:71)
   at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.loadImage(QuantumToolkit.java:735)
   at javafx.graphics/javafx.scene.image.Image.loadImage(Image.java:1052)
   at javafx.graphics/javafx.scene.image.Image.initialize(Image.java:802)
   at javafx.graphics/javafx.scene.image.Image.<init>(Image.java:618)
   at VehicularEpic.<init>(VehicularEpic.java:269)
   […]

Having a look at line 269 of your source code, it says
Image wtr = new Image("file:images/Water.jpg") […]

And that seems to be the culprit.
Loading images the following way works on all platforms (from outside the Jar):
Image img = new Image(new FileInputStream("images/Water.jpg"));

Performance is still good, even on larger maps.
I don't know how you manage to maintain your code with this weird assembly-style naming and everything crammed into one file – with networking and all the other stuff… Huh
And one last thing: In this "Underwater" map there's weird flickering of the graphics everywhere, no matter if inside the water or not.

Cheers

Offline RyanAlbano

Junior Devvie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2018-06-02 05:21:46 »

Many thanks for the help. For the next build, I've implemented the FileInputStream technique as you said, so hopefully the image loading issue's resolved.
I also changed the audio loading order so on Linux, you can still hear your vehicle, even when multiple vehicles are in a match.
Offline RyanAlbano

Junior Devvie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2018-09-30 01:01:44 »

New Build Released

RECENT CHANGES

Code improvements & bug fixes

A complete overhaul on the ground texture system (see the UserMap for details).

Skidmark/tire squeal synchronization improved

'skids' parameter changed to 'contact' in vehicle files. This also supports other vehicle skid types, such as metal-on-metal scrapes.

Major improvements to the game's sound code, meaning much more reliability on all platforms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FUTURE ISSUES

Better memory management

Adding extra game modes (if they make good gameplay).

Accepting all user-submitted vehicles and maps! If you've built something and it's ready-to-go for V.E., feel free to submit it!
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

EgonOlsen (1567 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (1539 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (1141 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (1567 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (1171 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36

nelsongames (1548 views)
2018-04-24 18:14:32

ivj94 (2305 views)
2018-03-24 14:47:39

ivj94 (1514 views)
2018-03-24 14:46:31

ivj94 (2601 views)
2018-03-24 14:43:53

Solater (878 views)
2018-03-17 05:04:08
Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:33:38

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:29:55

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:56:20

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:54:46
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org