Games in Android Showcase (133)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (604)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The JWS thread *LWJGL demos only*  (Read 9285 times)
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #30 - Posted 2004-04-18 17:28:37 »

Updated the DynamicCubeMap demo Smiley
@Karateman; Dude I have no clue what's causing that mess with your stuff, maybe you can play around a bit with the code and see what's going on?
Offline elias

Senior Devvie

« Reply #31 - Posted 2004-04-18 17:35:08 »

It seems that there's no depth buffer. JCD: do you remember to specify depth > 0 in Window.create?

- elias

Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #32 - Posted 2004-04-18 17:45:10 »

no, what size should it be?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #33 - Posted 2004-04-18 18:31:52 »

1 should do. LWJGL chooses the best option that's supported by the video card then.

Offline karatemarkel

Junior Devvie

« Reply #34 - Posted 2004-04-19 10:35:04 »

It seems that there's no depth buffer. JCD: do you remember to specify depth > 0 in Window.create?

- elias

I originally thought it was this as I had the same problem a while ago. So I changed JCD's window creation, but still the problem was there, anyhoo, I had another look today and it turns out I'd changed the alpha value rather than the depth value Smiley

All sorted out now.

Nice demo JCD.

And cheers for the tip erikd.
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #35 - Posted 2004-04-21 03:28:31 »

New demo posted...kinda lame though :/
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #36 - Posted 2004-04-26 01:30:16 »

New Work frame and a MilkShape3D loader, also the Cubic Environment Bump Mapping demo now uses both OGLSL shaders and Vertex/Fragment programs Smiley
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #37 - Posted 2004-04-29 00:21:21 »

New demo up and few updates as well:
All my demos were updated to use the same base Work frame which now supports Materials, Lights, OGLSL shading language etc...
I coded a little image utility which generates normal maps from given height maps; it's located in the ImageUtils directory.
I also fixed a bug in the image loader where the texture color seems to be following the GBR color model instead of RGB's.
Check it out and let me know whatcha think Smiley
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #38 - Posted 2004-04-30 04:20:05 »

New demo up Smiley
Fixed the Blinn Lighting demo and the normal map generator class as well.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #39 - Posted 2004-04-30 09:02:53 »

Hmm, the blinn demo just gives me a (rather nice) blue particle thing wizzing around, not lit up geometry no matter how much I tinker with the settings. Ideas?

(GeForce4 Ti card, latest drivers as of a week ago).

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #40 - Posted 2004-04-30 10:11:47 »

I got a GL_ARB_fragment_program not supported, and thats on a GeForce 4200 Go, so you're probably seeing the same.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #41 - Posted 2004-04-30 10:27:59 »

Aha, yes I see that in the logs now I look.  Cry

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Middy

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #42 - Posted 2004-04-30 11:06:28 »

exellent demoes....

When do I get my makeMyGameAsILike() extension?
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #43 - Posted 2004-05-03 09:01:35 »

I got a GL_ARB_fragment_program not supported

Is this a driver thing, or is a GF4 just not capable of fragment programs?

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #44 - Posted 2004-05-03 09:12:32 »

Is this a driver thing, or is a GF4 just not capable of fragment programs?

Looks like a hardware thing:

http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/extsupport.php?extension=GL_ARB_fragment_program

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #45 - Posted 2004-05-03 09:26:24 »

hmmm, so it looks like the Ti4200's hw is uncapable of doing them so it's emulated instead. So why can't we use the emulation then?

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #46 - Posted 2004-05-03 09:43:35 »

'cos when you emulate pixel/fragment shaders, you have to emulate the entire pipeline, which is obviously dog slow.

Before the FX series was actually released, nVidia had a bunch of drivers that had it's pipeline emulated as an option. It was only really for people wanting to experiment with bleeding edge stuff though, its not really usable for anything practical.

Although for that demo I'm sure it would be possible to re-write it with GeForce4 specific shaders, it'd just be a bit of a pain. Embarrassed

Offline girvine

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #47 - Posted 2004-05-31 11:11:22 »

Nice work JCD.

In reference to the FontFactory.  A question.  Since so many of the TT fonts aren't fixed width, how do you subdivide the font texture into subtextures in a call list for us as a texture based font?

I'm new to GL and the application I'm fiddling with displays car traffic on a simulated top down street view.  Each car has a small symbol with a data label attached to it with text data displayed.  I'm using a self-created texture and subdividing it into a call list for use.  Of course I've created a fixed width font which makes parsing quite easy.

However, I'm currently just using immediate mode for the drawing of the labels to screen, which includes potential color changes for some of the fields that make up a car's label.

Whilest the data in the labels doesn't change that often, however the location moves every few seconds as the car "moves".

I would like to be able to smoothly simulate at least 2000 cars moving when I'm zoomed right out.

Question 1: Is there a performance difference between writing to a VBO/call-list/texture then sending that compared with using immediate mode?

Question 1b:  Do you think it would be wise for me to write each individual label to a texture/vbo and just move it down the screen and recreate it when the data changes (car speed etc?), or would the performance gain not be significant enough to not just use immediate mode?  Note that each label has a few rows of data (about 40 characters in all), generally one color, but with a few fields possibly another color.

Question 2:  Behind the car display I require a street map (currently defined as geographical vertices).  Would it be best for me to write these maps to textures (individual maps can be enabled/disabled), and add them to call lists for performance?  Would this be better than drawing thousands of vertices every redraw?

Thanks for any advice you (and anyone else) might have.

FYI: I'm using J2SE1.5 and JOGL 1.0 (for now).

Regards,

Greg.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #48 - Posted 2004-05-31 11:55:19 »

Question 1: Is there a performance difference between writing to a VBO/call-list/texture then sending that compared with using immediate mode?

I wouldn't think that VBO's would gain you much, since the data changes constantly. Regular old vertex arrays would be an improvement over immediate mode though (and pretty simple as well).

Question 1b:  Do you think it would be wise for me to write each individual label to a texture/vbo and just move it down the screen and recreate it when the data changes (car speed etc?),

No idea, it'd probably depend on how often they change, and whether you've got plenty of video ram for caching all the labels. It sounds like a lot of work though, why not try vertex arrays for drawing it and see how the performance is? Have you actually figured out that this is a bottleneck in your drawing?

Question 2:  Behind the car display I require a street map (currently defined as geographical vertices).  Would it be best for me to write these maps to textures (individual maps can be enabled/disabled), and add them to call lists for performance?  Would this be better than drawing thousands of vertices every redraw?

Again, depends how often it changes. I assume a street map is fairly static, so writing it to a texture is probably a good idea. No need to shove the resulting texture+quad in a display list though.

Offline dranonymous

Junior Devvie

Hoping to become a Java Titan someday!

« Reply #49 - Posted 2004-06-24 12:34:04 »

I can't get any of the Webstart demos to work. Sad Sad

They all say can't load a jar file.  Here's a specific example from the blinn demo -

[CODE]
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Blinn Lighting & Particles
Vendor: Abdul Bezrati - Galactic Village
Category: Download Error

Unable to load resource: http://www.realityflux.com/abba/Lwjgl/BlinnLighting/BlinnLighting.jar
[/CODE]

Any ideas?

Regards,
Aaron R>
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #50 - Posted 2004-06-24 14:19:08 »

Works fine for me (and I'd not downloaded them before), although they do then crash at the loading screen because of OGL errors.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline dranonymous

Junior Devvie

« Reply #51 - Posted 2004-06-24 20:34:14 »

I'm using java1.5beta2 as my jre.  Do you suppose that this could be the problem?

Regards,
Aaron R>
Offline dranonymous

Junior Devvie

« Reply #52 - Posted 2004-06-29 11:21:48 »

I just switched back to jre 1.4.2 with JWS and all the demos start now.

Off to make a bug report.  :/

Regards,
Aaron R>
Offline karatemarkel

Junior Devvie

« Reply #53 - Posted 2004-08-09 15:56:58 »

Ahh crap, finally got around to buying a vid card that supports the pixel trickery and now all JCD's demos have been taken down Roll Eyes

Anyone know if all these demo are available on any other sites?

cheers all.
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Elsealabs (15 views)
2014-12-28 10:39:27

CopyableCougar4 (19 views)
2014-12-28 02:10:29

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-12-27 22:38:51

Mr.CodeIt (14 views)
2014-12-27 04:03:04

TheDudeFromCI (19 views)
2014-12-27 02:14:49

Mr.CodeIt (26 views)
2014-12-23 03:34:11

rwatson462 (58 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (47 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (96 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (115 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31
How do I start Java Game Development?
by gouessej
2014-12-27 19:41:21

Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org