First, sorry for my English, I hope there will be no need to cast healing spell on your eyes. Second, I am not a veteran of java-gaming, I read it quite often, but I don't have publish experience here. Correct me if I am wrong anywhere.
I present a small indie but very ambitious WIP project - Changes. Our team of 4 men working around jMonkey Engine 3.1b during 10 months. We have very little funding sources (our pockets) but still trying to work much and put our souls at the altar. Personally I want not only produce a great game but also prove that it can be made via favorite language.
Changes. Can we make roleplay great again?
Changes is an online roleplaying game mixed with a modern survival sandbox experience and deep focus on social interactions. The setting encompasses 9th century Europe where all myths, fairy tales, folklore, gods are true with a modified course of history, historical characters and events. It uses social roleplaying and open game world as the core feature.Features:
- Multiplayer. Changes is designed to be MMO-like game. And we are working to support 100+ players. Currently we tested 5 players with Hamachi. And it worked very well even for Hamachi. In January we will have our own server and try much more massive online.
- Open world with a partly random generating environment. Scenegraph of the game loads nearest voxels. Type of biomes like mixed forest, meadow, coniferous forest, etc depends on type of the terrain. Currently terrain is not modifable/destroyable but trees, rocks, grass, bushes and other game objects are fully destroyable.
- Building. Characters can create and join factions, conquere territories, build their villages, fortresses.
- Social roleplay. It is still in progress but we want to make it as you are playing D&D or other tabletop RPG with your friends. So communication is a core part of the game. We are working on character's gestures, voice chat, fame system, faction & family system to make players tightly connected.
- Graphics. Currently we don't have professional shaderboys and use primaly engine's features. However, games supports fancy features like PBR materials, dense world because of in-house optimization mechanics.
- Roleplay system & survival system. We are mixing traditional roleplay system, based on stats, perks with hunger, thirst, fatique. However, RPG part is more important and developed.
- Unique main storyline quests for each character. To support social activity we decided to make an unique set for each character based on personality. For example, a player that made their character greedy and adventurist might get the following goals: Achieve 10 level, Collect 100, 000 denarius, Find the Bag of Endless Gold, Achieve 15 level, Become an alchemy master – craft the Philosopher's Stone, etc. These will all be covered by interesting stories and the developing of the character.
- Folklore! Player will be able to explore world, find runic stones, scrolls, fabulous creatures. And then talk about their adventures in the tavern .
- Dungeon Master Toolbox. We know there are a lot of roleplayer companies that like playing and developing their own servers, settings, stories. In Changes we prepare a special toolbox for gamemasters so they can easily build towns, rename territories, have power over other players.
Where are a lot of other minor features. Better visit our website's Library.Where we begin? Setting
The story starts between the death of Charles the Great in the year 814 up to 901. Frankish empire became the most powerful force in Europe. But after death of it greatest ruler Charlemagne, it has all chances to fall apart. Meanwhile, after Empire of Franks defeated Saxons tribes and converted them to Christianity, pantheon of Germanic Gods give command to Vikings to start a holy war against Christians. Their first victims became shores of England, Saxony and Normandy. Lords of these regions were so unprepared and they found themselves in an extremely difficult position.
For our first playable build we are preparing north shores of Frankish Empire and south of England. We are researching early Medieval and local folklore to add it into the game. So when a player joins the server, he will plunge into the fantasy Medieval world with magic, dragons, evil nobles and landlords. Different character storylines generate unpredictable conflicts and friendships. And it should come so natural that if you invite your girlfriend or friend who is far from roleplay, he will sit and enjoy the game with you
You can visit our website http://changesrp.com/
and read more about a project.https://twitter.com/changesrp
- Twitter. It was unused before last big update but for now it will be activehttp://www.indiedb.com/games/changes
- Here you can look at the articles and the evolution of the game. How it's developed from a very simple game to more complex.
Thanks for reading. Please, share your thoughts, ideas and opinions about the game and we will make it better!