Games in Android Showcase (229)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (854)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Red Defense - Tower Defense Game  (Read 47199 times)
Offline TheMeatMan
« Reply #30 - Posted 2016-08-11 15:50:15 »

Hi
I have a intel i7 skylake something or other and a 64 bit operating system

I've never heard of GenyMotion but I'm definitely going to try it.
I really appreciate all the trouble you've went through reporting this bug and making that video, I really think that it's the reason 70% of people are returning the game, I'm going to spend another 5 hours today trying to fix it. I could really use the money from the app purchases, I just quit my job.

Maybe I need to udate my libgdx with the libgdx-gui?

Either way I'll start work on this right now and try some stuff and get back to you if I find a way to get it to run on GenyMotion with a Android x86 emulator.
Offline winspeednl
« Reply #31 - Posted 2016-08-11 21:01:04 »

Since you have an intel to I don't think that is the problem, it seems like Android x86 and LibGDX don't like each other. (there are more problems with apps on Android x86)

There are some reasons I don't use LibGDX
One of them is: it always doesn't work on at least one platform  Emo

So I stopped using LibGDX and created my own (light) 2D game library called LibZ  Grin
Currently I am creating a level based tower defense game using it

And soon I will start porting LibZ to Android (It bugs me that I don't have an android phone myself) Cry
I will not say that you have to move away from LibGDX. But ask yourself do I really need all these features?

I really like the concept, maybe in the future it becomes more playable and less chaotic.

EDIT: after running the desktop version on Ubuntu I can't hear any sound.

- winspeednl

Sorry if I am annoying you, I just want to help  Wink

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.
Offline TheMeatMan
« Reply #32 - Posted 2016-08-11 22:36:15 »

No, you're not annoying me, I sincerely think without your help I never would have found out the game didn't work on 32 bit android devices, I'm so glad you said something to me : )!

I just spent the last 8 hours doing everything under the sun to try to get this fixed and I think I might finally have it fixed!

Also; yea there is no sound, unfortunately. The game does have a lot of issues.

I'm going to upload a update as soon as I'm sure everything is all good and if you would be willing to try it one last time I would be incredibly grateful
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline TheMeatMan
« Reply #33 - Posted 2016-08-11 22:53:11 »

@winspeednl Here's a link if you'd be willing to try the game on your Nexus it would a huge help to me, I really think I fixed it this time

https://www.dropbox.com/s/db137e7r3umrbgi/RedDefense%201.2.0.apk?dl=1
Offline Springrbua
« Reply #34 - Posted 2016-08-12 15:56:44 »

So I stopped using LibGDX and created my own (light) 2D game library called LibZ  Grin

Please don't forget, that LibGDX is in development since quite some time and has a pretty big (contributing) community.
So if you create your own library, because you faced problems using LibGDX, you will definitly face the same (or worse) problems with your own library,
just because your library is a One-Man-Show. 
So i wouldn't start creating a library/framework/engine, just because I am having problems with an existing and widespread library/framework/engine.
Instead I would try asking for a solution in their forums or something similar.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with writing your own framework.
You can gain a lot of experience with it.
But you can be (more or less) sure, that it won't compete with those other, widespread frameworks.
Offline winspeednl
« Reply #35 - Posted 2016-08-12 20:49:08 »

Please don't forget, that LibGDX is in development since quite some time and has a pretty big (contributing) community.
So if you create your own library, because you faced problems using LibGDX, you will definitly face the same (or worse) problems with your own library,
just because your library is a One-Man-Show. 
So i wouldn't start creating a library/framework/engine, just because I am having problems with an existing and widespread library/framework/engine.
Instead I would try asking for a solution in their forums or something similar.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with writing your own framework.
You can gain a lot of experience with it.
But you can be (more or less) sure, that it won't compete with those other, widespread frameworks.

Making my own library gives me more freedom, I could focus my library on the part I need and I don't have much unused stuff.
Also the 'I made this.' feeling satisfies me. I don't have any problems with third-party licenses since I wrote it all myself.

The type of game @TheMeatMan is making i recomend using a lighter-weight library (or even write it yourself).
I am creating a simular type of game and I know LibGDX has alot more features than needed.
If you don't have much experience you should stick to an premade library such as JME, LibGDX or LibZ.

- winspeednl

Offline winspeednl
« Reply #36 - Posted 2016-08-12 20:55:24 »

Hi!

I've downloaded your `.APK` and could confirm that it is working on Android x86.  Grin

One note though:

Considering adding a default turret in cases like this.

Keep it up!  Wink

- winspeednl

Offline TheMeatMan
« Reply #37 - Posted 2016-08-12 20:56:16 »

Oh my god yess!!!!
Dude I'm so happy that it worked, thank you so much!
I've been checking this thread like compulsively hoping you'd say that!!

EDIT :
Yea I'm not sure why there is no turret there, I'll fix that asap

EDIT 2 :
Thanks for mentioning the shop error where there are no turrets! Without you, I never would have known about it. You're a huge lifesaver. I uploaded a fix to Google Play : )
Offline winspeednl
« Reply #38 - Posted 2016-08-12 21:33:25 »

Oh my god yess!!!!
Dude I'm so happy that it worked, thank you so much!
I've been checking this thread like compulsively hoping you'd say that!!

EDIT :
Yea I'm not sure why there is no turret there, I'll fix that asap

EDIT 2 :
Thanks for mentioning the shop error where there are no turrets! Without you, I never would have known about it. You're a huge lifesaver. I uploaded a fix to Google Play : )

Haha no problem, keep it up!
I will continue to play this game. Reporting any errors that occur until this is a good game.

Also consider making better icons (If you want to I have some for you!).

- winspeednl

Offline Hydroque

JGO Coder

Medals: 25
Exp: 5 years

I'm always inspiring a good time.

« Reply #39 - Posted 2016-08-17 03:57:08 »

I've been ghosting. I've been updating, but I haven't tried it yet.

Turning it on...
Shop is empty cuz I bought everything already...
Ooh main menu button overlayed on top of text "Shop"...
Pressed play...
Oooh shop was minimized...
Oh crap why can't I place my tower I keep placing a wall...
Right the drag glitch thing...
-quit-

Well hope that helps.

You think I haven't been monitoring the chat? http://pastebin.java-gaming.org/c47d35366491fHere is a compilation <3
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline TheMeatMan
« Reply #40 - Posted 2016-08-18 21:13:07 »

Yea thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. Even if it is kind of strangely formatted.
Offline Hydroque

JGO Coder

Medals: 25
Exp: 5 years

I'm always inspiring a good time.

« Reply #41 - Posted 2016-08-21 03:45:03 »

Oh wow Brynn....

You think I haven't been monitoring the chat? http://pastebin.java-gaming.org/c47d35366491fHere is a compilation <3
Offline TheMeatMan
« Reply #42 - Posted 2016-08-22 14:17:46 »

Hi Brynn!
Glad you tried it  : )
The desktop version hasnt been updated in a while, I have been trying to get the android version stable.

Did you like it?
I see that you focused your attention primarily on the minigun ; )
Offline ndnwarrior15
« Reply #43 - Posted 2016-09-09 23:39:21 »

@TheMeatMan

Do you have an android device?

I'm building a little Android platformer right now and can dump the game onto the phone then do my own debugging using the Logcat. It's really similar to System.out.println()
I'm also doing this with eclipse since I haven't really learned the quirks of Android Studio.

Launching the game to a real phone is 10x's better than using that slow ass emulator
Offline winspeednl
« Reply #44 - Posted 2016-09-26 08:09:36 »

*Snip*

Launching the game to a real phone is 10x's better than using that slow ass emulator

Emulators aren't that slow, good emulators could give a similar performance or even better than a real device. (My experience)
The best way is not to emulate android but do multiboot.
It is not bad to have a slower device, If your game runs on a slower device then your game definitely runs on a better device.

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print