Could you describe how combat will work? e.g.
Lets say up front, I haven't really planned this out too much yet. I was waiting to see what options worked well across the network before making any decisions.
- combat enters a "combat-mode" e.g. with enemy helath bar on screen, or an overlay menu of attack options, etc
More than likely, this just seems like the "standard" thing to do.
- combat is automatic attacks - no user interaction - or manual attacks - user has to click / choose a particular kind of attack for each attack to actually happen
So far the plan had been,
* Select Mode of Combat (Defensive, Neutral, Offensive)
* Select Target and engage combat
* Hits are made when possible
- OFFENSIVE - hit when possible, chase the opponent when not
- NEUTRAL - hit when possible, hold ground
- DEFENSIVE - defend, don't hit back (get bonuses to defense?).
However, just becuase you're in combat, doesn't mean your opponent is. Your other option is just to try and move away from the attacker.
- turn-based or "as-fast-as-you-can"
As fast as the game allowed seems fair.
- ranged? Not just long-distance weapons, but also different minimum separations before you can attack with e.g. dagger and bastard sword
Now, I'd like this but I think it might be a bit complicated. Plus I'm not quite sure how I could make it "fair" across the network.
- how do you initiate the attack? if it's by clicking on a player, causing you to move towards them and attack all in one motion, then...the server is going to get some advance warning XX ms before the players actually get close enough to each other, and this gives it time to e.g. tell the victim's client info like "you are about to be attacked". This could be used in all sorts of ways.
Select, and choose attack. Depending on your mode you might run after them aswell.
- is there a need to react quickly to an incoming attack? e.g. how many ms does it take for someone to kill you when you could have survived if you'd had time to react? If there is no such need, then perhaps it isn't that important...
There might be if you want to go into DEFENSE mode. But then I suppose I could add a "wimp" mode where if you get attacked you automagically go into defense mode. Sorta like the guy that always hides under the table when the fight in the pub breaks out...