News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  the pro-linux args  (Read 4840 times)
Offline javapunk

Senior Newbie

« Reply #30 - Posted 2004-03-03 16:05:34 »

X has been around for an incredibly long time. And all graphics drivers are written for it.  Changing to an new system, Y windows, or such would require a complete rewrite of every gui library and graphics driver. I agree it could be improved upon but a new system would need to be compatible with X. If it aint broke don't fix it. Smiley

JavaPunk
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #31 - Posted 2004-03-03 16:19:51 »

Some positive things about the XFree86 implementation of X:free, stable, modular, network transparent, platform independent, modular/extensible. It has quite a number of disadvantages, which don't fit in a pro-Linux thread. Grin

Btw. Y looks very promising. With XFree86's current license problems it's likely to gain momentum.

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #32 - Posted 2004-03-03 17:54:44 »

If it aint broke don't fix it. Smiley

Some people are of the opinion that it IS broke. Smiley  (as a desktop graphics interface... for X-Terminal purposes it seems to be ok.)

Are graphics drivers on Linux really tied to the windowing system?  That seems like it's the wrong layer for a driver to be working in...  e.g. X should call more general/primitive graphics methods in the driver.  OR is X handling too many layers of the windowing system?  E.g. if you wrote X on top of OpenGL, then the drivers are not tied to a windowing system.  OS X uses "Quartz" and "Quartz Extreme" to do their windowing system on top of OpenGL this way and it works quite nicely.  From what I hear, Microsoft may be doing something similar with D3D for Longhorn.

X configuration is more automated in later versions of Linux.  (There I said something positive Wink)

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #33 - Posted 2004-03-03 18:45:04 »

Are graphics drivers on Linux really tied to the windowing system?  That seems like it's the wrong layer for a driver to be working in...  e.g. X should call more general/primitive graphics methods in the driver.

X uses the graphics drivers, not the other way round.  

X configuration is more automated in later versions of Linux.  (There I said something positive Wink)

Shocked Shocked

Roll Eyes

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #34 - Posted 2004-03-03 20:54:42 »

X uses the graphics drivers, not the other way round.  

Then I don't understand javapunk's comments of:
X has been around for an incredibly long time. And all graphics drivers are written for it.  Changing to an new system, Y windows, or such would require a complete rewrite of every gui library and graphics driver.

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #35 - Posted 2004-03-04 02:46:13 »

So a few clarifying comments:

on X.  You are all 100% correct that a good local GUI shell could be written for Linux.  In fact thats why I brought up OSX because IMO thats exactly what Apple did ontop of FreeBSD.  However the Linux community seems entirely X centric so i have my doubts it will happen there.  Still I could be wrong.

And yes when I referred to it being "too expensive" that was indeed short hand for its client/server nature that requires many more layers of communication and processing then necessary for a local GUI.  Its an expense a desktop system doesnt need to be paying.

I think that clarifies most of my comments that were unclear.  IF Apple were to release on Intel I think they would ultimately be stronger for it but I agree thats unlikely to happen.  Baring that then yes, I could imagine someone doing an OSX like shell for Linux.  Done right it would I think make Linux a player in the desktop space, but again I don't see any will to make it happen in the Linux world.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #36 - Posted 2004-03-04 05:42:34 »

Then I don't understand javapunk's comments of:
X has been around for an incredibly long time. And all graphics drivers are written for it.  Changing to an new system, Y windows, or such would require a complete rewrite of every gui library and graphics driver.

I think he made a mistake in this comment.

I read that the Y-people want to create some kind of X-Wrapper as a temporary solution for a smoother transition from X to Y. However in the long term the graphical apps (or at least the underlying libraries) have to be rewritten, otherwise the new approach of offering Server-Side widgets wouldn't make much sense. This is quite some work.

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #37 - Posted 2004-03-04 06:01:58 »

You are all 100% correct that a good local GUI shell could be written for Linux.  In fact thats why I brought up OSX because IMO thats exactly what Apple did ontop of FreeBSD.  However the Linux community seems entirely X centric so i have my doubts it will happen there.  Still I could be wrong.

Currently you are right, although (as already said several times) the current license problems of XFree86 will lead to changes. Y-Windows is the only promising approach that I know of. There is also Fresco and some windowing systems for embedded devices. Fresco (http://www.fresco.org) uses CORBA for language independance, but it doesn't look like it will be established as a standard. It's important to take the best of all worlds and userinterface consistency is certainly a strength of Mac OS X. Server-side widgets are definitely needed to get there.

And yes when I referred to it being "too expensive" that was indeed short hand for its client/server nature that requires many more layers of communication and processing then necessary for a local GUI.  Its an expense a desktop system doesnt need to be paying.

I quoted something in this thread, which basically says: Not the client/server concept is slow, but the implementation X has for it. ("Slow" means a high latency. Throughput of X is good.)

Offline javapunk

Senior Newbie

« Reply #38 - Posted 2004-03-08 16:42:58 »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/2001872755_ptlinux060.html
Seattle Times section on Personal Technology compares Xandros and Lindows as two alternatives to Windows for desktop computing. Their verdict: installation - excellent; OpenOffice - good enough; digital cameras, printers and other peripherals - excellent; CD burning - no problems; video playback - could be better (with more progress bars and support for Apple's formats); digital camcorders - poor; burning audio CDs - poor; Net access and Web browsing - no problems.
Ripped from slashdot  Roll Eyes

JavaPunk
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (14 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (29 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (41 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (38 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (34 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (72 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (48 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org