News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Paper Pacman  (Read 6812 times)
Offline unlight
« Posted 2015-03-22 11:18:21 »

Hi guys,

I have been a long time lurker to this site, what better first post to do than my first finished game! It is a Pacman clone with my own visual spin, apart from Finnkuusisto's TinySound library, the game uses the default Java API.

If you are willing to give it a go then please feel free to leave feedback, I appreciate any form of it.

Screenshots -

Download Jar here (400 KB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/0abm1kankdvpu8a/Pacman.jar?dl=0
Offline Rayvolution

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 379
Projects: 2
Exp: 2 years

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #1 - Posted 2015-03-22 23:37:32 »

Cool little concept.

Some suggestions for polish:
- I assume the ruler on the side is a hint it was drawn with a ruler, to explain the straight lines. But for some artistic edge, I would make those lines overdraw a bit here and there (like he went too far as he was lifting his pen, so there's some stray marks)
- Make the lines fade in and out a little, like the pen was drawn at various pressures and angles.
- Reanimate all the characters to look hand drawn
- Make all the dots slightly offset of each other (2 or 3 pixels) randomly, then make 5 or 6 different dot artworks, so it looks more natural.
- Make some errors, or scribbles/doodles in the unused areas of the paper, maybe some very slight discolorations/stains in the paper.

Overall, cool idea. Just my nitpicky polish ideas to improve the visuals more. Wink

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Now on Steam!
LIVE-STREAMING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.hitbox.tv/rayvolution
Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 486
Exp: 7 years

« Reply #2 - Posted 2015-03-22 23:41:07 »

For easy programmatic emulation of hand-drawn lines, there is the technique I [re]started the What I did Today thread with:
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/what-i-did-today/33622/msg/315998/view.html#msg315998

With some tuning it could look good.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline unlight
« Reply #3 - Posted 2015-03-24 11:52:07 »

Thanks for the suggestions, I like the style idea so I will probably give it a go in another project and try to make the hand-drawn style more obvious. These along with some brush styles will come in handy.
Offline sekip

Senior Devvie

Medals: 7
Projects: 3

« Reply #4 - Posted 2015-03-24 12:45:31 »

Background is cool! Very soothing  Tongue
Offline Tanginion

Junior Newbie

Exp: 1 year

« Reply #5 - Posted 2015-03-30 22:26:22 »

Good version of Pacman. Perhaps you could make a mode where you could 'draw' on the map to block the ghosts. Big potential for originality here.
Offline Mobador

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #6 - Posted 2015-04-15 21:18:33 »

Realy cool PacMan clone. I would only change rainbow ghosts, they fit rest of game somehow worse, than other elements. But overall, well done Smiley
Offline Ivan Vinski

Senior Devvie

Medals: 5
Projects: 1
Exp: 3 years

Learning how to place those pixels nicely.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2015-04-20 20:32:38 »

I'm not sure about other Pacman games, but this one seems a bit more challenging which makes it even more fun. Nice work, mate!

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print