Tested on OS X 10.3.2 JRE 1.4.2_03 on a 1GHz Powerbook G4:
1. The build.xml file does not properly package the distribution. The libjinput.jnilib file should not be left in plugins/OSX/src/native. The plugins/OSX/src/native/build folder remains empty after the build.
This is by design. The build folder is used for temporary file storage, not the final binary. Since there is no documentation stating where it should go, I haven't really bothered to move it anywhere in particular.
Ideally all the plugin jars and native libs should be placed together in 'dist' subdirectories or something - named for each platform
That has been discussed but no decisions have been made. If there was a spec for the whole of the GTG libraries, that would be easier to do.
2. Several keys are not reported on my 1GHz Tibook
All qualifier keys and PgUp, PgDn, CapsLock (PgUp/PgDn are on the cursor up/down keys and triggered when the 'fn' key is held when pressing these... since home/end uses the same technique and is reported I figured these should too.)
Have posted to Apple on this. The keys don't get enumerated with their API functions so this one I can't fix until they provide another path to go other than the standard HID libraries.
3. Key names are not shown for any keys -How do you make a meaningful UI to show what key the user presses when they assign a key to an action?
Everything is reported as 'Key n' where n is 0 to 255.
That's not an OSX issue. There is no specification for returning a key letter or anything similar for a key. Post this one as a specification issue. Can't be fixed until there is a specification that defines what to do.
4. Trackpad reports a right button but it only has a single button. Software will make incorrect decisions about available buttons, possibly making the game uncontrollable.
By design. Internally all buttons in BSD are assumed to have 2 buttons, thus all buttons in OSX are assumed to have 2 buttons. Can't fix.
5. MacAlly iShock II FFB Game Controller - recognized but no axis or buttons are reported - this used to work.. on OS X 10.2. The controller still works to move the mouse pointer around the screen and the iShockXManager app works fine. The controller is working.
I know that some of these issues are the fault of bugs in the OS. But should we try to work around them in the plugin?
OS bug. Apple would like to hear about these in Bug Reporter.