Games in Android Showcase (230)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (856)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  New rules regarding Game Engine topics  (Read 28347 times)
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 149
Projects: 1
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wannabe

« Reply #30 - Posted 2015-01-07 14:23:57 »

I vote for Personal/Archived Projects

Smiley

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 123
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #31 - Posted 2015-01-07 14:35:24 »

The JGO Graveyard might be a nice name Smiley
Offline Springrbua
« Reply #32 - Posted 2015-01-07 15:09:01 »

I just want to share my thoughts: 
In my opinion the main goal of the WIP-Section is to show some progress and get help by other (more experienced) users. 
Many developers here, who started creating an engine, did that to gain experience and knowledge about the low-level things. 
Especially those developers take advantage of the more experienced users here, who can point them to the right direction. 
If those learning-projects are now moved to a "less important" section, they may lose some atention and therefore they won't get as many help as before,
which would be bad for them and bad for JGO...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 319
Projects: 25
Exp: 22 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #33 - Posted 2015-01-07 15:15:31 »

In my opinion the main goal of the WIP-Section is to show some progress and get help by other (more experienced) users. 

The opinion expressed here is that the WIP-Section is for WIP Games - as in java Gaming.

Having the engines in there takes up a lot of the time of the "experienced users" thus drawing them away from the games that the site is meant to be about. More so given that engine development always require more help and input than games.

The games that are in the WIP section losing attention of the experienced users due to people building a me-too game engine is bad for the game's developers and bad for JGO. Worse still the more noise on the WIP board the less likely people are to read each and every post.

Cheers,

Kev

Offline kpars
« Reply #34 - Posted 2015-01-07 17:06:23 »

You might as well move all of the crappy 2D Minecraft clones to Archived Projects as well. Pointing

The sad reality about JGO is that nearly everybody here cares more about programming than actual game design. This usually leads to random trends that develop and people are going to follow them no matter what.

My idea? Encourage better game design, and perhaps set a topic creation limit in the WIP board that would stop people from creating X amount of projects in Y amount of days. That will hopefully stop so many trends from going around and potentially get people to stay focused on their projects too. I don't want to name any names here, but I've seen plenty of people on here that will simply start projects over and over again until they have nearly 10 discontinued games in the WIP section.

- Jev
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 319
Projects: 25
Exp: 22 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #35 - Posted 2015-01-07 17:12:13 »

You might as well move all of the crappy 2D Minecraft clones to Archived Projects as well. Pointing

- Jev

Fair point actually Wink Maybe someone should go through and mark the "crappy" ones. At least with game engines it's clear cut.

Kev

Offline Elsealabs
« Reply #36 - Posted 2015-01-07 17:32:06 »

What's "crappy" or not is pretty subjective. Most side-scrollers being made by indie developers aren't that much more creative than a Minecraft clone is. In fact, it's very rare that something "creative" comes along. I admit that even my game isn't that creative.

If we're tossing out projects based on lack of creativity, then the WIP section would probably be empty.

Offline kpars
« Reply #37 - Posted 2015-01-07 17:33:02 »

If we're tossing out projects based on lack of creativity, then the WIP section would probably be empty.

That's why the Featured Games board exists. Wink

- Jev
Offline Elsealabs
« Reply #38 - Posted 2015-01-07 17:37:20 »

That's why the Featured Games board exists. Wink

- Jev

Of course, but if you start removing "crappy" games from WIP, what is its point?

Edit: talked to Jev on IRC to get a clearer idea of what he meant.

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1356
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #39 - Posted 2015-01-07 19:07:20 »

This is already the case and has been for over a year or two. It's the Cube World Projects board Pointing

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kpars
« Reply #40 - Posted 2015-01-07 20:00:07 »

This is already the case and has been for over a year or two. It's the Cube World Projects board Pointing

It's been a bit quiet lately though... There are a ton of 2D Minecraft / Terraria clones in the WIP section right now.

- Jev
Offline Cero
« Reply #41 - Posted 2015-01-08 06:10:56 »

Sweet.
There is a god.

Offline Springrbua
« Reply #42 - Posted 2015-01-08 06:40:15 »

@Kevglass: But the WIP-Sections acutal name is "WIP games, tools & toy projects", so basicly it is also made for engines, as they are also gaming related. 
I don't think, that games lose attention, cause there are to many engines here, they lose attention, if the post does not attract attention. 
If the game has a good title+good screenshot and is updated regularly it will gain some attention, even if there are many engine threads. If someone is not interested in WIP-Engines, he won't look at them, even if they are in WIP-Section. 
So i don't guess thats a real problem. 
Instead, the projects, which aren't really projects/not developed anymore, should be moved. Ofc this is a lot of work, but the community could help by flaging them. Projects with many flags could then be checked and moved.
Offline delt0r

JGO Wizard

Medals: 145
Exp: 18 years

Computers can do that?

« Reply #43 - Posted 2015-01-14 14:15:54 »

This is a great idea. Don't write libraries or engines. Write games.

20 years of programming experience, and i still need to relearn this every now and then.

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.--Albert Einstein
Offline Oskuro

JGO Ninja

Medals: 77
Exp: 10 years

Coding in Style

« Reply #44 - Posted 2015-01-14 15:39:17 »

I'd even say that, if someone really wants to make something more generic/flexible, it'd probably be better to develop a game with modding capabilities, rather than a general use engine.

Offline divxdede
« Reply #45 - Posted 2015-01-14 16:25:03 »

I'd even say that, if someone really wants to make something more generic/flexible, it'd probably be better to develop a game with modding capabilities, rather than a general use engine.

I think we can't provide theses statements with this simplicity when most of amateur dev works in their free time in stuff they "like" whatever it will be usefull or not.
So if your goal is to built a game and won money with it, maybe you should'nt go into the way of writing an engine (or equivalent).
But as opposed, if you want learn, have fun and that's fun come with such tasks !! why not !!

I know that peoples here don't really like or approve guys that work on theses own stuffs but for me it's not a bad things if it has not a negative impact (by exemple on a team or budget, ...)
Personnaly, i can work on a library even if i have no plan to use it because it's fun for me !!!

Now, i agree that we can have some variable "quality level" of theses homemade engines.
But if a day i post what i done as framework (2d only), it will not for providing the "next level tools" but mainly for have feedback about it and improve it.
I assume that this forum is for such purpose !!!

Séb.

Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Medals: 11
Projects: 1
Exp: 10-12 months

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #46 - Posted 2015-01-15 00:41:08 »

I would like to ask about those other non-engine libraries like OGServer and GNetLib?
Isn't the whole idea of this move to convince people to make games? So how are these two examples 'games' by any chance?

I'm trying not to be mean here but it does seem a bit unfair...

But as opposed, if you want learn, have fun and that's fun come with such tasks !! why not !!

Séb.

I second that!

Is it sad that I still get a fright when the computer beeps at me...
Offline Ecumene

JGO Kernel

Medals: 197
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

I did not hit her! I did not!

« Reply #47 - Posted 2015-01-15 00:55:15 »

I would like to ask about those other non-engine libraries like OGServer and GNetLib?

The sad reality about JGO is that nearly everybody here cares more about programming than actual game design.

Maybe a Tech board would encourage some more hardware / software / computer topics? I mean, this is a game dev. forum, but it is still computer gaming.

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

hadezbladez (45 views)
2018-11-16 13:46:03

hadezbladez (50 views)
2018-11-16 13:41:33

hadezbladez (29 views)
2018-11-16 13:35:35

hadezbladez (20 views)
2018-11-16 13:32:03

EgonOlsen (1900 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (1936 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (1286 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (1718 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (1412 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36

nelsongames (2043 views)
2018-04-24 18:14:32
Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:33:38

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:29:55

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:56:20

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:54:46
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org