games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  IRC?  (Read 16735 times)
Offline Elsealabs
« Posted 2015-01-02 11:27:29 »

I assume JGO does not have an official IRC, because I have not seen one advertised around here. If they do, what is it, if not, why not? It would be a neat addition.

Just wondering, thanks!

Offline SHC
« Reply #1 - Posted 2015-01-02 11:33:02 »

There is no official channel, but we are in the unofficial channel #JGO in Espernet.

Offline kpars
« Reply #2 - Posted 2015-01-02 12:10:39 »

Yeah, about a year ago I created the channel after getting a bit pissed at the fact that there was no decent room for the forum.

Feel free to hop in and chat with us! Tongue
(#JGO @ irc.esper.net)

-> Original Thread
-> Webchat

- Jev
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1356
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2015-01-02 12:48:38 »

It used to be freenode.net #jgo, plugged in the JGO header, but it was deserted.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline Elsealabs
« Reply #4 - Posted 2015-01-02 12:50:09 »

Lots of conversation on the one Jev posted.

Offline kpars
« Reply #5 - Posted 2015-01-02 12:53:01 »

It used to be freenode.net #jgo, plugged in the JGO header, but it was deserted.

For a reason. Wink

- Jev
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2015-01-02 12:57:04 »

For a reason. Wink
Given that it was there long before you joined JGO... can you elaborate?

Offline kpars
« Reply #7 - Posted 2015-01-02 13:14:50 »

Not enough people joined and stayed whenever it was announced?
If everybody's inactive, people will leave. It's as simple as that.

This one luckily had enough conversation flowing in it to stay alive for the past year, which I'm pretty happy about.

- Jev
Offline SHC
« Reply #8 - Posted 2015-01-02 13:36:50 »

This one luckily had enough conversation flowing in it to stay alive for the past year, which I'm pretty happy about.

To be frank, Jev was a chatterbox Tongue I will be in the IRC (not all the time but), I really enjoy the conversation there.

Offline Elsealabs
« Reply #9 - Posted 2015-01-02 13:39:55 »

I've really liked it so far. Hopefully it will stay this active.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 508
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2015-01-02 14:18:41 »

I much preferred Freenode's #jgo but heh, nobody came to keep it alive and it ended up being me and Riven idling only. This new one in Espernet is pure blasphemy but I idle there and pop in to make fun of Jev and Rayvolution from time to time.

Offline Elsealabs
« Reply #11 - Posted 2015-01-02 14:23:39 »

I much preferred Freenode's #jgo but heh, nobody came to keep it alive and it ended up being me and Riven idling only. This new one in Espernet is pure blasphemy but I idle there and pop in to make fun of Jev and Rayvolution from time to time.

What was better about the Freenode one?

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #12 - Posted 2015-01-02 14:36:14 »

Conceptually, that is was backed and plugged by yours truly. Pointing

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1059
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2015-01-02 15:48:03 »

It'd probably get more use if it was embedded directly into a sidebar on JGO and you were automatically signed in. But you know, that's a lot of work just to help us waste even more time Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #14 - Posted 2015-01-02 16:30:41 »

I actually considered that... you know, like your average shoutbox from 1995.

It sounds fun, but with the size constraints of the sidebar it gets messy, quirky and basically yield a crappy user experience. Not to mention the strain on the server, as we need (long) polling after every pageload, with fairly high request/response rates.

That not a single website does it, it pretty telling, too Smiley

Offline Rayvolution

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 379
Projects: 2
Exp: 2 years

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #15 - Posted 2015-01-02 21:00:14 »

I actually considered that... you know, like your average shoutbox from 1995.

It sounds fun, but with the size constraints of the sidebar it gets messy, quirky and basically yield a crappy user experience. Not to mention the strain on the server, as we need (long) polling after every pageload, with fairly high request/response rates.

That not a single website does it, it pretty telling, too Smiley

Shoutboxes are pretty fun, I've found they also work great as an escape valve for random chitchat quality banter, avoiding those posts from being created in the first place.

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Now on Steam!
LIVE-STREAMING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.hitbox.tv/rayvolution
Offline SHC
« Reply #16 - Posted 2015-03-07 05:26:28 »

ATTENTION PEOPLE!! THE IRC has moved to #java-gaming on Freenode..

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 382
Projects: 11
Exp: 4 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #17 - Posted 2015-03-07 05:28:40 »

ATTENTION PEOPLE!! THE IRC has moved to #java-gaming on Freenode..

For clarification, Jeviny (kpars) left without appointing a new OP, and certain people found it amusing to flood the chat. Because nobody really liked Espernet in the first place, and because #JGO was taken, we ended up with #java-gaming.

Offline wessles
« Reply #18 - Posted 2015-03-07 05:30:06 »

Here's a log.

I accidentally pasted a shader, people buzzed about Jev, and there was an evacuation Tongue.
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #19 - Posted 2015-03-07 08:23:09 »

Ah, a bunch of kiddos desperate for a leader.

Online Drenius
« Reply #20 - Posted 2015-03-07 16:14:04 »

Could somebody, anyone explain me what this bs is all about?!
You decided to spam the other chat and that was your reason to move somewhere else?!

EDIT: @Riven: The fact that you feel the need to apply the concept of leadership here tells quite a bit about your personality, don't you think so?

No seriously, more a technical than a formal issue here. (One that didn't actually exist though.)
Offline wessles
« Reply #21 - Posted 2015-03-07 20:13:24 »

@Drenius

I meant to pastebin a shader, but accidentally posted the whole thing in chat. People immediately started spamming the chat with "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", and snippets from the shader. Heroesgrave says to me:

<HeroesGrave> paste it again
<wessles> OH
<HeroesGrave> for the lols

So I paste it again, "for the lols". This time, with line numbers from the previously made hastebin.

<HeroesGrave> stop it
<HeroesGrave> .dance
<wessles> I ignored xD
<NegativeZero> rip #IRC
<HeroesGrave> no more flooding please
<HeroesGrave> Why didn't Jeviny appoint a new OP
<_Swords> I think he pasted 1 - 100 or something
<wessles> You told me to do it.
<_Swords> Where is jeviny
<HeroesGrave> dead

* .dance is a command for the xD bot, and it makes an emoticon dance. I had ignored xD, so you won't see it.

A second, larger wave of spamming comes. Everyone joined in (myself included), due to the bandwagon effect.

<HeroesGrave> WE NEED AN OP!
<_Swords> Jeviny finally gave up on us </3
<_Swords> I think he was a little too incestual
<NegativeZero> _Swords returns, IRC dies
<SHC> NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONO NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
<wessles> vote for swords
<SHC> NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONO NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
<wessles> who votes for swords
<_Swords> We need a new IRC
<_Swords> JGO2

<Ashedragon> Uhm
<HeroesGrave> <HeroesGrave> NONONONONONO
<HeroesGrave> <wessles> #define CRT_CASE_BORDR 0.0125
<HeroesGrave> <NegativeZero> wessles, what are you going
<HeroesGrave> <wessles> #define SCAN_LINE_MULT 200.0
<HeroesGrave> <NegativeZero> doing
<HeroesGrave> <wessles> uniform sampler2D u_texture;
<HeroesGrave> <wessles> uniform int time;
<Jervac> this happened earlier than i thought
<HeroesGrave> <wessles> in vec2 v_texcoord;

All of this goes on for a few minutes. Then people start wanting to elect new ops and migrate:

<Ecumene> I vote to make a new IRC and SHC be the OP
<HeroesGrave> everybody who is flooding please restart your clients
<NegativeZero> I think we should have three OPs
<HeroesGrave> dammit
* SHC is now known as Drenius
<wessles> everyone, go to #javagaming
<NegativeZero> Create a #JGO on freenode?

* _Swords continues to heavily spam in this part, but I cut it out for reading pleasure

We all joined the new channel and, from there, went to #java-gaming on freenode. And so far, there has been peace. There are now two operators so that the Jeviny incident doesn't happen again.

Before anyone gets mad that we spammed the channel to hell and got a new one, know that this was definitely going to happen one way or another. Jeviny, the only mod, was barely on and never appointed another mod. So, as @Riven put it, we were "a bunch of kiddos desperate for a leader."

Fun-fact: Jeviny pointed out that this happened on the anniversary of the IRC channel.
Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 486
Exp: 7 years

« Reply #22 - Posted 2015-03-07 20:34:19 »

This is even better more nonsensical than The Lord of the Flies.

One person leaves, the remaining handful of people can't help themselves and immediately lapse into chaos.
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 382
Projects: 11

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #23 - Posted 2015-03-07 21:09:08 »

One person leaves, the remaining handful of people can't help themselves and immediately lapse into chaos.

The main issue is that the person who left was the only one who had control of the channel.

Jeviny actually left two or so weeks ago, but it was only a matter of time before things got out of hand and moderation was required. I'm surprised something didn't happen sooner.

Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 486
Exp: 7 years

« Reply #24 - Posted 2015-03-07 21:14:26 »

it was only a matter of time before things got out of hand and moderation was required

Or 5 people could act sane?
Offline Ashedragon

JGO Coder

Medals: 27
Projects: 1

The best person you could possibly be is yourself.

« Reply #25 - Posted 2015-03-08 02:56:09 »

Or 5 people could act sane?

If only. It shouldn't have been necessary at all, but apparently some people will just go crazy if given the chance.

boo
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 508
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2015-03-08 03:45:50 »

I agree with Riven here....

I like the re-organization in #java-gaming on Freenode. I'm an op now along with LiquidNitrogen, NegativeZero, and OceanAshedragon. We will make sure to keep things more mature and in check. Riven could you add this channel to the banner or the side bar?

Offline Rayvolution

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 379
Projects: 2
Exp: 2 years

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #27 - Posted 2015-03-08 10:47:44 »

I agree with Riven here....

I like the re-organization in #java-gaming on Freenode. I'm an op now along with LiquidNitrogen, NegativeZero, and OceanAshedragon. We will make sure to keep things more mature and in check. Riven could you add this channel to the banner or the side bar?

I agree, the new channel feels much more legitimate and official, I vote we have a link for it on JGO somewhere.

We'll even play nice and not ban Riven when he uses it. Wink

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Now on Steam!
LIVE-STREAMING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.hitbox.tv/rayvolution
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #28 - Posted 2015-03-08 10:49:49 »

@Riven: The fact that you feel the need to apply the concept of leadership here tells quite a bit about your personality, don't you think so?
Isn't it common knowledge that the worse a group of people behaves, the tougher the leadership should be? A criminal organisation is pretty much run like an army or it'd fall apart -- and introducing democracy through war is destined to fail, but I digress in an utmost uncoordinated manner.

I don't know how this relates to my personality, but sure, whenever there is anarchy, your cute fluffy overlord's hands get itchy. What would happen to JGO when it were to be ruled democratically - one can only assume the worst. These kiddos need a leader! (which is what happened and all is fine now)

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #29 - Posted 2015-03-08 11:09:11 »

@Rayvolution: whenever I get banned from #java-gaming, I will resume my eternal slumber in #jgo. It's the official channel, you know, and plugging it on JGO years ago didn't do diddly-squat. Emo

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

EgonOlsen (1850 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (1879 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (1244 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (1679 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (1344 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36

nelsongames (1962 views)
2018-04-24 18:14:32

ivj94 (2735 views)
2018-03-24 14:47:39

ivj94 (1937 views)
2018-03-24 14:46:31

ivj94 (3028 views)
2018-03-24 14:43:53

Solater (1077 views)
2018-03-17 05:04:08
Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:33:38

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:29:55

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:56:20

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:54:46
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org