Games in Android Showcase (234)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (865)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The C family, should I dig deeper?  (Read 16009 times)
Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

Medals: 518

« Reply #30 - Posted 2014-11-19 09:20:31 »

The Art of Computer Programming is definitely a good buy.  These are books you attempt to digest over a long time period.  Note that there is useful information in the exercises which are not in the main text.
Offline lcass
« Reply #31 - Posted 2014-11-26 16:41:14 »

As many of you know, I have been browsing and taking part in this forum for around a year now. If it was not for this forum, I would have never gotten this far with Java and more importantly programming in general.

I feel I have gotten to a point in my quest, I want to dig deeper into the C family.

In college I am being "forced" to use C# for my graded unit (using XNA), I have spent most of my time in Visual Studio writing little utility classes that are no doubt going to make my progress a little easier next year for the unit. However, it has got me curious.

I want to take a look at lower level languages.

Some of you guys on here have 15+ years experience and I want your opinion, is there any real purpose to learn C?

Now don't get me wrong, I am fully aware I will walk away from the experience with a broader understanding and appreciation for higher level languages, but I mean functionally, will I be able to apply anything I learn in say, C# or Java?

Will this help me with low level wrappers? Like OpenGL and DirectX?

So many questions, don't want to flood the OP :p.
They are forcing you to do it at college? im at GCSE level and they are currently letting me do it within C++ . I love C++ its an intuitive hands on language with lots of features , all of it done in such a clear manor (my faiviroute -> member access its a wee arrow!), thats personal , C is a bit different from most other languages , it is sequential non class based , it has structures which are a bit similar. C in general is not very useful in most industry now HOWEVER it is an extremely useful language , you may never need to use it however the fundementals of the strucutre of the language and conventions that you will pickup along with way along with pointer handling is brilliant for other languages and will make you code in a much more mindful way. If you want to do anything with a C type language I would say do it with C++ its c but with extra stuff, also learning a language I would reccomend using safaribooks , very clear , very detailed books written by people from oreilly books to fifth edition god programming books.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1107
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #32 - Posted 2014-11-26 16:52:24 »

Heh, with typography, spelling and grammar like yours you're going to grow to hate C++ Wink

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

« Reply #33 - Posted 2014-11-28 09:07:50 »

Again, because C++ is a superset of C isn't a good reason to skip on C.  If you only know Java and then learn C++ then you won't be learning to think differently about programming...you're just learning pragmatic C++ details.  If you learn C...you'll have to think different.
Offline The Lion King
« Reply #34 - Posted 2014-11-28 11:08:53 »

Again, because C++ is a superset of C isn't a good reason to skip on C.  If you only know Java and then learn C++ then you won't be learning to think differently about programming...you're just learning pragmatic C++ details.  If you learn C...you'll have to think different.

I heavily agree, plus C is much more bite-size of a language. I highly recommend the book The C Programming Language 2nd Edition by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie

"You have to want it more than you want to breath, then you will be successful"
Offline junkdog
« Reply #35 - Posted 2014-11-28 11:50:15 »

I highly recommend the book The C Programming Language 2nd Edition by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie

Seconded.

The closest you'd get in C++ would be A Tour of C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup ("most notable for the creation and development of the widely used C++ programming language." - wikipedia). It doesn't cover everything, but it serves as a very good introduction to C++11.

artemis-odb: bugfixing and performance optimized fork of artemis ECS
Offline pjt33

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 40
Projects: 4
Exp: 7 years

« Reply #36 - Posted 2014-11-28 11:59:12 »

C is just a portable assembly language.

I would say more that C is a high-level assembly language which allows you to use a portable style, but no-one ever does. Just at the basic level of types: stdint.h / inttypes.h are 15 years old, but still terribly underused even in new projects.

I highly recommend the book The C Programming Language 2nd Edition by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie

I see a possible connection. Why do people keep recommending using a completely outdated language reference? You wouldn't recommend a book on Java 1.1 to someone wanting to learn Java in 2014.
Offline lcass
« Reply #37 - Posted 2014-11-28 14:15:04 »

Heh, with typography, spelling and grammar like yours you're going to grow to hate C++ Wink

Cas Smiley
Ugh I type quickly and concentrate on other things way more than I should Cheesy. My current pet hate is .length functions within programming , java array.length , string.length() ,arraylist<Type>.size() WUT? ugh even python does it , len(array) string.length ... I think though c++ is the worst offender here though , length of array = sizeof(array)/sizeof(Type). I'm just glad thats everything , oh wait vectors... but there are iterators for that sort of thing.
Offline lcass
« Reply #38 - Posted 2014-11-28 14:20:17 »

On the topic of C and C++ books , theses are just a couple that I have found that you might want to take a look at and give them a try.
C Programming for the Absolute Beginner, Third Edition
Programming in C, Fourth Edition

The C Programming Language, Second Edition

C++
The C++ Programming Language, Fourth Edition

C++11 for Programmers, Second Edition

C++ Primer 5th edition <- I would recommend this one , very clear with lots of examples in a structured manor.

Hope this helps.
Offline boxsmith
« Reply #39 - Posted 2014-12-02 03:43:01 »

My current pet hate is .length functions within programming
Why's that?

but there are iterators for that sort of thing.
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but you should know that java lets you iterate over arrays and anything implementing the Iterable interface using a foreach loop.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

« Reply #40 - Posted 2014-12-02 10:46:06 »

Just ran across this: http://damienkatz.net/2013/01/the_unreasonable_effectiveness_of_c.html
Offline lcass
« Reply #41 - Posted 2014-12-05 17:19:44 »

Learning assembly and C in college right now, I'm absolutely loving it. C really is a portable assembly language, there's very very little syntax sugar which makes it simple and beautiful. I'll be doing much more C now and C++ soon!

I just learnt C++ Tongue and had my final on Wednesday that just past.

We learnt java then C++. going from Java to C++ was kinda big step to begin with, but after you actually start its fairly easy lol, I seem to be able to learn programming languages really fast once I get into a course that we learn a new language.
I went from java to c++ , thats the reason why I love java , its the middle child of the programming languages , it knows most things about its parents (c and c++) and also knows all the gossip on its siblings (c#,js etc) and it also knows a bit about that snotty weird kid that always acts in a strange way even under normal circumstances (python).

But java just makes it so much easier for beginners to pickup other languages , from personal experience in my class they are teaching them python , its great , if they just want to use python but then attempting to get them to use even a slightly more complex language and it just flops because of the hugely different syntax and the number of steps that they have to go through to get the same result, one of the kids said he tried to learn java but all the . operators and {} were confusing (a bit of an issue considering they are what most languages use). What do you guys think is a good language to teach new learners ?
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1107
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #42 - Posted 2014-12-05 19:31:06 »

BASIC.

Cas Smiley

Offline CodeHead

JGO Knight

Medals: 52

From rags to riches...to rags.

« Reply #43 - Posted 2014-12-05 19:41:31 »

BASIC.

QFT!

Arthur: Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggarts?
Ash: Nope. Just me baby...Just me.
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

Riven (81 views)
2019-09-04 15:33:17

hadezbladez (4331 views)
2018-11-16 13:46:03

hadezbladez (1543 views)
2018-11-16 13:41:33

hadezbladez (4454 views)
2018-11-16 13:35:35

hadezbladez (863 views)
2018-11-16 13:32:03

EgonOlsen (4151 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (4854 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (2803 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (3707 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (3998 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36
Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2019-05-14 16:15:13

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:15:36

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:13:34

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-02-17 20:25:53

Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org