games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  what now?  (Read 5352 times)
Offline VIrtueeL
« Posted 2014-07-22 08:55:21 »

i have 17 devlog on my puzzel game , and i feel like the dip will come anyday now, what do i do?, i dont just want do abondon the project
coos its a cool game ?? help?

i do devlogs and i do tutorials check em out
https://www.youtube.com/user/InidDevo
Offline Drenius
« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-07-22 08:56:50 »

Excuse me?
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-07-22 08:57:16 »

COmmon, we know what he is talking about..
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline VIrtueeL
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-07-22 08:58:43 »

well i have been working on an puzzel game for 17 days now, and it feels like the dip is comming. "when you just abondon the project basicly"

how can i prevent this? i need some help

Offline Drenius
« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-07-22 09:00:25 »

You should always phrase like this.
It is very hard to tell you what to do, because only you can know it, so if you think your project is not worth it, well, then you cant work properly on it, so drop it, but try to avoid these situations though...
Offline VIrtueeL
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-07-22 09:02:24 »

i think its worth working on but i just feels that i will come to the same spot as all my 2d games "i just abondon it"

Offline LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-07-22 09:04:26 »

write a to-do list of the things needed to finish it in a short time frame and then go do it and move on.

Offline VIrtueeL
« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-07-22 09:06:13 »

sounds good to me, this is the dip if you dont know what it is "for all pp now" http://sethgodin.typepad.com/the_dip/

Offline JVallius
« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-07-22 09:36:51 »

The wall, dip, writer's block... no matter what, it will always come in some point. You just need to learn to deal with it and push forward.

Like LiquidNitrogen said, make a to-do list. Figure out the essential things your game needs. Tear it down to its bones. Drop everything else.

Make your game playable, even if it's ugly. You can always polish and add features later.

Offline basil_

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 99
Exp: 12 years

« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-07-22 09:38:36 »

write a to-do list of the things needed to finish it in a short time frame and then go do it and move on.
1. stop using todo-lists.

usually todo-lists contain stuff that you dont like to do. stuff that you like to do you just do, no reminder required. having a list of things that suck will not motivate you.

better make a list of awesome things you like to have in your game and then code them (or learn first, then code).

other then that, i do not have an advice for you. really depends on what kind of person you are and the project ofc.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline JVallius
« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-07-22 09:44:34 »

usually todo-lists contain stuff that you dont like to do.

Who said the development process will be always fun?  Smiley

IMO just adding awesome things that pop into your mind is the circle of feature creep, a good recipe to not finish your projects.

Offline KevinWorkman

JGO Kernel

Medals: 116
Projects: 11

klaatu barada nikto

« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-07-22 14:24:56 »

1. stop using todo-lists.

usually todo-lists contain stuff that you dont like to do. stuff that you like to do you just do, no reminder required. having a list of things that suck will not motivate you.

Pertinent Coding Horror: http://blog.codinghorror.com/three-things/

better make a list of awesome things you like to have in your game and then code them (or learn first, then code).

But be careful about getting lost in unachievable daydreams and feature creep. Keep your goals very small so that you have some hope of achieving them, and don't add to your list until you've accomplished something.

Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn game programming, upload your own games!
Offline VIrtueeL
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-07-22 14:41:51 »

here is the game so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc2i7-CC50

Offline PandaMoniumHUN

JGO Coder

Medals: 32
Exp: 3 years

White-bearded OGL wizard

« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-07-22 15:37:46 »

Dedication is a skill that can be applied in many fields during your life so it's a good thing to master.
However, as I said it's a skill that you have to practice, and the way to practice it is to keep going, even if it's not fun anymore.
Development is not always fun, there are less fun parts and particularly annoying parts but if you can't get over them you'll never have anything on your hands that you can be proud of.
Nobody is going to tie you in front of your PC to finish your projects and there's no magic trick to keep motivated either, so it's all up to you. Smiley

My Blog | Jumpbutton Studio - INOP Programmer
Can't stress enough: Don't start game development until you haven't got the basics of programming down! Pointing
Offline thedanisaur
« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-07-22 19:59:04 »

It's looking pretty good so far. Keep it up! I agree with the previous posters on dedication, it's a skill like any other and takes practice.

Something that has helped me recently(over the last year) is having a clear goal in mind from the outset and keeping the game "simple".

I think if you sit down at the beginning and decide what your final game will include, write it all out story/levels/features/classes/etc, before you even touch coding then you have a better chance of success. From there it's all about the determination to keep going till you're done.

Every village needs an idiot Cool
Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 366
Projects: 2
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-07-23 00:10:59 »

Here are my 2 cents.

I used to start on new projects on a whim. I'd get an idea, and started coding on it the same day. I generally lasted a few weeks or even a month before I got stuck or bored of it and just dropped it. Nowadays when I get an idea I think about it for a long time. Something that sounds awesome when you come up with it but gets really meh after just a few days or even a few weeks isn't really a good idea in the first place. I imagine the players will get bored of the concept even quicker than I will, so why settle for anything less than what you yourself would find interesting in the long run?

TL;DR: Don't jump right in on coding your "great" idea. Instead, let it "boil" for a few weeks and see if it still has you hooked. Basically, have one or two ideas cooking while you work on your current "proved" good idea(s).

Myomyomyo.
Offline KevinWorkman

JGO Kernel

klaatu barada nikto

« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-07-23 00:21:24 »

TL;DR: Don't jump right in on coding your "great" idea. Instead, let it "boil" for a few weeks and see if it still has you hooked. Basically, have one or two ideas cooking while you work on your current "proved" good idea(s).

This is pretty good advice, but you could also try going the other way: instead of ruminating on ideas for weeks, try boiling your ideas down to a very small core concept that you can get up and running in a very short amount of time (think hours or days, not weeks). That way you can spend a week creating a prototype to see if it feels as fun as you thought it would. Then if it works, great, spend some more time on it (adding very small features incrementally), and if not, you're only out a short amount of time and you can jump on the next project.

This is the kind of approach that works for things like Ludum Dare, which is in a month! http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/

Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn game programming, upload your own games!
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-07-23 02:40:31 »

A month?? NO! God DAMMIT. Of course, right when school restarts. Maybe I'll get lucky the 5th time around.
Yes that's right. It's happened 4 times now in a time when I can't do it. In a row. Grr  Roll Eyes

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline basil_

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 99

« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-07-23 08:56:57 »

But be careful about getting lost in unachievable daydreams and feature creep. Keep your goals very small so that you have some hope of achieving them, and don't add to your list until you've accomplished something.
Nowadays when I get an idea I think about it for a long time.

this is very true.

also have to quote myself, ofc i'm oversimplifying when saying "just code". agentd's approach is very healthy i think. do not rush, take your time.

small thoughtful steps helped me avoiding getting stucked. avoiding getting numbed by lack of knowledge or general suckness. slow pace, learning, making small demos. coding like that, i was able to get a few things done i was sorta afraid of before.
Offline VIrtueeL
« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-07-23 10:41:46 »

ty for all this good advice's thay will help =D

Offline KevinWorkman

JGO Kernel

klaatu barada nikto

« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-07-23 11:17:45 »

A month?? NO! God DAMMIT. Of course, right when school restarts. Maybe I'll get lucky the 5th time around.
Yes that's right. It's happened 4 times now in a time when I can't do it. In a row. Grr  Roll Eyes

Ha, yeah. It's almost like they purposely time them to coincide with the beginning of school in August or final tests in December and April. I wonder if it has something to do with the organizers' schedules?

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-07-23 11:31:49 »

@kevin

Its when their kids aren't at home xD
Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #22 - Posted 2014-07-23 12:12:36 »

I've had an idea for a completely EPIC game for over half a year now. Tongue

Myomyomyo.
Offline PandaMoniumHUN

JGO Coder

Medals: 32
Exp: 3 years

White-bearded OGL wizard

« Reply #23 - Posted 2014-07-23 12:57:09 »

Ha, yeah. It's almost like they purposely time them to coincide with the beginning of school in August or final tests in December and April. I wonder if it has something to do with the organizers' schedules?
Don't worry, LD timings are never good for me either. Since it's always on the weekends I always have something going on like traveling, parties, visiting relatives or friends (or they're visiting us), or just something more important to do. I only got to participate once and since it was my first game jam I got over ambiguous and couldn't finish in time. Guess it sucks to be a programmer with a social life. Cheesy

My Blog | Jumpbutton Studio - INOP Programmer
Can't stress enough: Don't start game development until you haven't got the basics of programming down! Pointing
Offline VIrtueeL
« Reply #24 - Posted 2014-07-23 13:48:24 »

start to code on it? =D half a year is alot off time xD

Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #25 - Posted 2014-07-23 14:28:47 »

I have coded a few tests to check that it was actually possible to get good enough performance and all. =P

Myomyomyo.
Offline richierich
« Reply #26 - Posted 2014-07-23 14:58:04 »

Looking at it from the other end of a career, please let me just say that 6 months is nothing!! I worked in business programming for ... well quite a long time ... till retiring recently and I have uncoded game designs going back - checks repository - over 20 years!! And some of those are beauties let me tell you!! Cheesy Cheesy

(Get to the point old man!) OK, my point is if you're stuck on one project, do some work on another one. Have a few on the go at different stages of completion and then you can always pick one up and get a change of pace. Do some animation art on one, engine work on another one, or even just user instructions/help text. (BTW user instructions are a good place to start on any software, games or not: if it doesn't make sense in words, maybe it doesn't actually make sense as a concept, or with a game if you can't make it sound fun, maybe it won't be fun!)

Also FWIW that kind of multi-tasking with juggling various projects is the way you'll probably work if you get any kind of programming job, so it's good career practice!

And if the games you're making are good and original then there's no hurry right? They'll still be good and original when all the clones of the latest big thing are dead and gone...

rich
Offline VIrtueeL
« Reply #27 - Posted 2014-07-23 17:04:20 »

=D

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Mr.CodeIt (10 views)
2014-12-27 04:03:04

TheDudeFromCI (14 views)
2014-12-27 02:14:49

Mr.CodeIt (25 views)
2014-12-23 03:34:11

rwatson462 (56 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (46 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (92 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (113 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (86 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (96 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (102 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org