News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Technicolour Rain  (Read 1280 times)
Offline Sekaru

« In padded room »

« Posted 2014-07-02 05:27:16 »

Hey. This is a project I've been working on since around September. The main feature of the game is your ability to possess and control your enemies. You do this by creating "copies" of yourself which (will) open up a variety of skills such as creating distractions, a combo-based chain kill, an AoE, etc (most of which I'm still working on implementing). Another feature of the game is full support for custom made maps - anything we can make, players can also make thanks to Tiled.

Screenshots (lighting is sort of a work in progress still, very subject to change):

Demo

The game isn't publicly released yet (hasn't even been properly announced yet either!) but I like to compile demo builds and give them out. The latest build can be found here. The editor button won't work since I'm still sorting out a few details related to distributing the editor. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Offline kingroka123

JGO Knight

Medals: 27
Projects: 4
Exp: 1 year

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-07-02 06:11:06 »

Freakin' amazing! I had more fun in this game then I've had with video games for a long time. The one hit death really adds a layer of intensity to the game. Good show! I cant wait for release.

Online LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-07-02 06:47:08 »

Would it work to have the mouse pointer remain pointing to the same place on the screen when you walk around? It might be more intuitive, because when im walking around and trying to aim at the same time by brain has trouble co-ordinating. if it ended up being a certain distance away from the player (ie 1/2 screen height) it could be moved back to the maximum distance so that it doesnt get left behind.

The first life was quite nerve racking, but then after a while I realised that it doesnt hurt to be reckless because theres no punishment for taking a serious risk, so that kind of detracted from that intensity once i got used to it. Im not sure how you could avoid players becoming complacent like that. But even so, the guys still kept scaring me constantly Cheesy Awesome!

Didnt use the clone feature much, it seems a bit odd.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 336
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-07-02 07:00:10 »

Excellent work, I really like the graphics effect of the text! I disliked the one-hit death, it got frustrating with the guards using machine guns.

Looking really good, keep us updated!

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Medals: 146
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-07-02 07:00:42 »

Very well polished game, and very fun to play! Kudos to you.

*but* my one and only complaint is it seems like an almost copy/paste ripoff of Hotline Miami.. right down to the controls, the killing, the gun swapping, and "one hit kill" action. I love the concept, (and I love Hotline) but I think you'll have to find a few more hooks to set your game apart from it. Else everyone will just call you a copycat. Shocked

Aside from that, it's a really, really fun game. Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2n_BinoS1Ug?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2n_BinoS1Ug?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Survival Sim/Builder/Roguelike!
LIVE-STREAMING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.twitch.tv/SG_Rayvolution
Online LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-07-02 07:13:07 »

If you had a system where you might not die if the bullet hit you in the arm or leg, that would be interesting. (same with the enemies)
Offline Sekaru

« In padded room »

« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-07-02 07:21:41 »

Freakin' amazing! I had more fun in this game then I've had with video games for a long time. The one hit death really adds a layer of intensity to the game. Good show! I cant wait for release.

Thank you! I can't wait too ;].

Would it work to have the mouse pointer remain pointing to the same place on the screen when you walk around? It might be more intuitive, because when im walking around and trying to aim at the same time by brain has trouble co-ordinating. if it ended up being a certain distance away from the player (ie 1/2 screen height) it could be moved back to the maximum distance so that it doesnt get left behind.

The first life was quite nerve racking, but then after a while I realised that it doesnt hurt to be reckless because theres no punishment for taking a serious risk, so that kind of detracted from that intensity once i got used to it. Im not sure how you could avoid players becoming complacent like that. But even so, the guys still kept scaring me constantly Cheesy Awesome!

Didnt use the clone feature much, it seems a bit odd.

If the mouse was static then you'd need to rotate around that specific point in order to aim. I might be totally misunderstanding but I can't see how that'd be more intuitive. Recklessness is advised! Combos should definitely be prioritised for both score and the fact that they give you charge back to use more of your abilities. The copies are there to make things easier. I understand that at this point in time there's no real incentive to use them but when I add more skills (shields, a chain-kill based on combos, an AoE, etc).

Excellent work, I really like the graphics effect of the text! I disliked the one-hit death, it got frustrating with the guards using machine guns.

Looking really good, keep us updated!

It's difficult yeah. You should be using your copies and moving when you shoot. There will be abilities like copy shields later on that will help with that too.

Very well polished game, and very fun to play! Kudos to you.

*but* my one and only complaint is it seems like an almost copy/paste ripoff of Hotline Miami.. right down to the controls, the killing, the gun swapping, and "one hit kill" action. I love the concept, (and I love Hotline) but I think you'll have to find a few more hooks to set your game apart from it. Else everyone will just call you a copycat. Shocked

Aside from that, it's a really, really fun game. Wink

Does Hotline have my copy system now!? Nah I understand where you're coming from and yes there's a fair bit of inspiration from both Hotline and the first two GTA games (although Hotline is newer so more people recognise that). There's a fair few things like the destructible environments and the grenades (which I'll be adding in soon) that will probably put those kinds of people to rest. Oh and our map editor (which was done waaay before theirs) allows for more customisation (i.e. your own tiles, your own sprites, etc). But I'm not competing, I'm hyped for HLM2!

If you had a system where you might not die if the bullet hit you in the arm or leg, that would be interesting. (same with the enemies)

I like the system - it's something that I loved about Deus Ex and a system that I used in one of my previous games. I have two problems with it for Technicolour though - the RNG dependency and the fact that if the first bullet doesn't kill you, the second or third will if the guard has an automatic weapon.
Online LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-07-02 08:54:12 »

I have made a little demonstration of what i was talking about with the mouse.

It turns out that you cant use it all the time, it needs 2 modes: normal mouse mode, and strafe mode for when youre about to perform a difficult maneuver and really need to concentrate on not missing your target.

wasd to move, hold left shift for strafe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91iwifxufeb980q/mouse%20strafe%20concept%20.jar
Offline Sekaru

« In padded room »

« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-07-02 10:21:10 »

I have made a little demonstration of what i was talking about with the mouse.

It turns out that you cant use it all the time, it needs 2 modes: normal mouse mode, and strafe mode for when youre about to perform a difficult maneuver and really need to concentrate on not missing your target.

wasd to move, hold left shift for strafe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91iwifxufeb980q/mouse%20strafe%20concept%20.jar

Oh! I see! Yeah that'd actually be quite useful. I've put that on my todo (though likely not for the demo).
Offline Sekaru

« In padded room »

« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-07-03 05:15:55 »

Updated the demo build in the OP. Fixed a few AI bugs and a few other miscellaneous bugs as well as some performance issues. Here's another screenshot:

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Sekaru

« In padded room »

« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-07-04 04:11:24 »

Not sure about the bumping rules on here but I've just added one of the new abilities to the game. The AoE explosion ability will allow you to destroy windows, destructibles and guards within a certain radius.

Here's a gif of it in action:
http://gfycat.com/CloseAmusedAmoeba

To use the ability, simply go to level 2, create a copy and press 2 when you want to detonate your copy.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k0tjdsrt6k0ueg/trdemo.jar
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (35 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (33 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (24 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (55 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (47 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (38 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (43 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (59 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (56 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org