Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209
  ignore  |  Print  
  What I did today  (Read 3163225 times)
Online orange451

JGO Kernel

Medals: 477
Projects: 7
Exp: 7 years

Your face? Your ass? What's the difference?

« Reply #6210 - Posted 2018-12-22 07:25:00 »

Started work on getting transparent materials to render nicely with my deferred renderer:

Thanks to @TheAgentD for the idea on implementing it efficiently

First Recon. A java made online first person shooter!
Offline h.pernpeintner

JGO Ninja

Medals: 106

« Reply #6211 - Posted 2018-12-22 23:11:17 »

How did you do it? Smiley
Online orange451

JGO Kernel

« Reply #6212 - Posted 2018-12-22 23:53:55 »

Nothing complex. Rendering transparent geometry is just a forward renderer. I decided to go with per-object sorting, since it's much easier to setup. The FBO that the forward renderer renders to has its depth buffer shared with the deferred renderer's GBuffer. I disable writing to the depth buffer when drawing transparent geo and I also get free clipping from the deferred renderer.

What's next is to make all my lighting shaders work in both deferred and forward passes, so I can still color the transparent geometry properly Smiley

The idea I had originally was to blit the deferred renderer's depth buffer into the forward renderer's depth buffer. @TheAgentD pointed out that I could do the above to skip blitting altogether.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline philfrei
« Reply #6213 - Posted 2018-12-26 19:33:52 »

Started playing Mass Effect II for Win/PC from Half-Price Books (a Christmas present).

This is a great game!

music and music apps: http://adonax.com
Offline VaTTeRGeR
« Reply #6214 - Posted 2018-12-29 22:55:53 »

I'm replacing the old profiler with a new one that tracks the processing-time per registered system and displays it as a stacked color-coded graph. The two handles can be dragged around to change the graph size.

red -> terrain-rendering
cyan -> sprite-rendering
blue -> point-click-navigation (A* done asynchronously in second thread)

Now i need a proper menu to enable/disable/hide graphs etc. and show a legend with the system names.
Offline dime26

JGO Wizard

Medals: 80
Exp: 12 years

Should traffic wardens be armed?

« Reply #6215 - Posted 2018-12-31 00:19:19 »

Putting together a rough editor so that I can start creating roads and buildings, hope to make some milestones for 2019 and make some decent progress on this project.

Next Up: Road mapping, car spawning and basic traffic (AI)

*FPS is killed by the Gif capture otherwise runs at 60fps.

Click to Play

Click to Play

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #6216 - Posted 2018-12-31 04:10:07 »

Love the skidding and physics! Really nice

Offline dime26

JGO Wizard

« Reply #6217 - Posted 2019-01-01 17:02:40 »

Thank you!
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6218 - Posted 2019-01-02 04:33:51 »

We got the mail yesterday confirming it, NOKORIWARE LLC went into effect today. Pretty excited to be able to do some cool stuff with it hopefully. I made a cool video today to go with it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/83Z0u21qY9I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/83Z0u21qY9I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Corny potentially-cringey gush-post incoming:
I'm feeling a bit sentimental because of today, and I don't want to be mushy or weird, but I started coming here when I was 13 years old and everyone answered every one of my dumb newbie questions patiently. This made me feel welcome and I grew and grew as a programmer and I still am to this day, because they made a kid feel like he could really learn if he wanted to. I just genuinely want to thank the JGO community for always being so helpful and encouraging over the years.

This ranges from the KaiHH to helping our graphics programmer with his special requests regarding JOML, to Cas offering us a hand both with his own experience and wisdom in many fields, to Spasi being so kind as to giving me his contact information in case I have future LWJGL3 questions for its NNGINE integration (and also having a very open and kind attitude about it). There's plenty of others I'd love to mention as well, but then I'd end up with like a ten page essay, and I'm sure no one wants that. Haha!

But still, on top of that, the other people in this thread are always so kind and say such nice things even when the screenshots I drop in aren't anything special. It really does a lot for my self confidence as a game/software developer to not have a ton of negativity thrown at you when you try to put your stuff out on the internet. Sure, it may be criticism sometimes, but it's constructive, useful, and well-intentioned almost every time.

It seems too common that people want to tear each other down senselessly (more than what I remember in the past anyway) on the internet these days, and I feel like the JGO forum is one of the last bastions of what the early internet symbolized in terms of kind and purpose-filled communities. I met one of my best friends ever on here (theagentd) because he reached out and offered to give me OpenGL tips when I was a young, dumb teenager and it's been a ride every since.

Thanks guys. Seriously. I lurk more than I post, but this is probably my favorite website on the internet.

Also a very special thanks to Riven for keeping the site up and running all these years. I really can't imagine not being able to lurk around a bit in the morning when I'm drinking my coffee and waiting for my brain to boot up. Haha. This place really is the best.

I can't wait to re-read this post later and cringe at myself but I felt like it need to be said, no matter how high the corn-levels are. Lol!

But yeah, thanks you guys.

EDIT TL;DR;
Thanks to the power of friendship from JGO, I've been able to have some of the most fun a guy could have for nearly seven years on here. Thank you all.

it just werks
Online orange451

JGO Kernel

« Reply #6219 - Posted 2019-01-05 05:55:27 »

Been practicing web-development.

Rewrote most of my website: http://firstrecon.net/
Has a blog, forum, messaging features, etc. I'll probably use it as a nice way to document the things I make! The website used to use hardly any CSS; it visually looked similar to what it looks like now, but everything was made via lots of tiny PNG images...  Lips Sealed

Anyone know any good resources to test against SQL injections? I didn't use any third party software to design the site, so I don't know if it's truly secure. I think it is...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SugarBlood

Senior Devvie

Medals: 7
Projects: 4

« Reply #6220 - Posted 2019-01-05 10:09:19 »

Been practicing web-development.

Rewrote most of my website: http://firstrecon.net/

Looking like Joomla
Online orange451

JGO Kernel

« Reply #6221 - Posted 2019-01-05 16:57:19 »

Don’t know what that is, but I’ll take it as a compliment?

Offline SugarBlood

Senior Devvie

Medals: 7
Projects: 4

« Reply #6222 - Posted 2019-01-05 20:39:18 »

ahah Cheesy, Joomla is the CMS (content managment system), i assumed you've built your web-site with it, and tried to guess it Clueless But sure I compliment you Cheesy
Offline NuclearPixels
« Reply #6223 - Posted 2019-01-06 18:08:11 »

If you are using prepared statements, sql injections should not be an issue.

Learning and having fun developing games. Twitter: https://twitter.com/NuclearPixels
Online orange451

JGO Kernel

« Reply #6224 - Posted 2019-01-12 01:08:22 »

Had some time today and fixed lighting with transparent objects:

Offline Shatterhand
« Reply #6225 - Posted 2019-01-13 16:32:04 »

Had some time today and fixed lighting with transparent objects:

You're making amazing progress with your engine (or should I say "little Unity competitor" Wink).

Over the last few days I implemented various optimizations into my platformer game, e.g. an easy quadtree-like structure to simplify collision detection. You're supposed to optimize your code when it's pretty much done, right?

Now coming to easier/ more fun phase of development: creating more levels, finishing story, art (well, not that fun), fixing the occasional bug, etc.

Cheers

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Offline dime26

JGO Wizard

« Reply #6226 - Posted 2019-01-13 23:22:48 »

Started mapping the editor functions to buttons on the menu like the zoom+/- and debug.

Added a hashmap of entities to the Tile class so I can add multiple things/layers to each tile, starting with road co-ords and path finding start / end nodes.

Next I will add path finding between these nodes, need to dig out and refactor the AStar code I have.

Click to Play
Offline Zemlaynin
« Reply #6227 - Posted 2019-01-14 04:50:08 »

Returned the snow-capped mountains
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6228 - Posted 2019-01-14 11:18:21 »

Bang! Our localization systems are finally finished. You can now change Robot Farm's language. Also here's a very WIP preview of our new title screen!

Disclaimer: I translated the menus to Spanish with Google Translate just for testing purposes, so I apologize to any Spanish speakers on here if it came out completely garbled ; )

it just werks
Offline dime26

JGO Wizard

« Reply #6229 - Posted 2019-01-14 11:46:19 »

Bang! Our localization systems are finally finished. You can now change Robot Farm's language. Also here's a VERY WIP preview of our new title screen!

Disclaimer: I translated the menus to Spanish with Google Translate just for testing purposes, so I apologize to any Spanish speakers on here if it came out completely garbled ; )

A much better title screen, I think it was the ocean last time I saw it. Might be nice to put little emoticon flags for the languages as well as the text.
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6230 - Posted 2019-01-14 11:52:56 »

Bang! Our localization systems are finally finished. You can now change Robot Farm's language. Also here's a VERY WIP preview of our new title screen!

A much better title screen, I think it was the ocean last time I saw it. Might be nice to put little emoticon flags for the languages as well as the text.

Oh! That one was a placeholder from very early in development IIRC. The aim for our new one is to be a "moving painting." It's going to look pretty cool by the time it's done.

it just werks
Offline torbuntu

Senior Newbie

Medals: 4

« Reply #6231 - Posted 2019-01-14 13:32:38 »

Technically it was yesterday, but I got a mini2dx project to run on my raspberry pi 3b. It uses libgdx for the backend and thus lwjgl so it was interesting getting the natives all compiled and injected into the correct jars.
Offline Brynn
« Reply #6232 - Posted 2019-01-16 00:04:43 »

this week is my five year anniversary
i made a haiku for you all
please feel free to leave feedback

fast on all platforms
steam engine has less boiler
vulkans brawling love
Offline cygnus
« Reply #6233 - Posted 2019-01-16 02:05:57 »

Very nice. True elegance.
Offline philfrei
« Reply #6234 - Posted 2019-01-17 00:49:27 »

On friend's oldish Mac, installed OpenJDK 11 and OpenJFX, and compiled and ran a JavaFX application with a customized JVM JRE (made with jlink). It works.

Now to figure out: how to package this in a way that includes file association.

Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6235 - Posted 2019-01-17 07:49:52 »

I updated my Google Sheets Table of Contents Generator add-on with a sort button and integration into Google Sheets own UI. The sort feature is pretty useful because you can have it sort the entire sheet alphabetically based on the section names. I also put it on the chrome webstore for free and that's currently pending, so that people can more easily install it. The source code is still available here on github however:

https://github.com/SkyAphid/GoogleSheetsTableOfContents

If you're working Google Sheets a lot like I do to make very large sheets (thousands of rows), my plugin will be pretty useful to you if you're having a tough time keeping it organized.

On friend's oldish Mac, installed OpenJDK 11 and OpenJFX, and compiled and ran a JavaFX application with a customized JVM (made with jlink). It works.

What kind of customized JVM is it? I've been crossing my fingers for a long time that someone would try and set out to make a JVM specifically tuned for game performance. Lol

it just werks
Offline KaiHH

JGO Kernel

Medals: 658

« Reply #6236 - Posted 2019-01-17 19:59:22 »

What kind of customized JVM is it? I've been crossing my fingers for a long time that someone would try and set out to make a JVM specifically tuned for game performance. Lol
I think he meant not a customized JVM but a customized JRE - it's still the HotSpot (OpenJDK) JVM but using the Java 9 Module System (Jigsaw) together with jlink to reduce the amount of redistributed classes to only those in modules which his app either directly or indirectly depends on, expressed via the modules' module-info.class.
Offline philfrei
« Reply #6237 - Posted 2019-01-17 22:13:27 »

I think he meant not a customized JVM but a customized JRE - it's still the HotSpot (OpenJDK) JVM but using the Java 9 Module System (Jigsaw) together with jlink to reduce the amount of redistributed classes to only those in modules which his app either directly or indirectly depends on, expressed via the modules' module-info.class.

Yes, KaiHH, that's right. I'm not good at lexical/terminological precision.

AFAIK, there IS a slight performance pickup using jigsaw-built vs. complete JRE. At least, that is what I've seen in articles. But in terms of perceptible results? IDK.

Since my projects are small-scale, and I haven't gotten into Maven/Gradle/Ant, I've been relying on getting the steps worked out at the command-line level. A build takes copying and pasting 3 or 4 lines to Terminal or Shell. It is not exactly back-breaking. Another step or two and I will have the infrastructure "solved" for publishing for Win64 & MacOS (for now, where we have OpenJDK 11 with the JavaFX splitoff), and can get back to work on the apps and games (and marketing--yecchh).

Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6238 - Posted 2019-01-19 03:40:10 »

Updated JDialogue so that it can support multiple languages and also added a feature so that you change change the canvas size for scenarios where you need to make very large files (we're going to need this functionality for the localization support).

I already have a page on here for the project if you want to check it out. The program is really useful if you're working on a game with a lot of dialogue.

it just werks
Offline Shatterhand
« Reply #6239 - Posted 2019-01-20 15:12:15 »

Guess which one I made in blender Tongue :

Click to Play

Click to Play

Cheers

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209
  ignore  |  Print  

hadezbladez (1177 views)
2018-11-16 13:46:03

hadezbladez (531 views)
2018-11-16 13:41:33

hadezbladez (1190 views)
2018-11-16 13:35:35

hadezbladez (274 views)
2018-11-16 13:32:03

EgonOlsen (2571 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (2790 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (1566 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (2271 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (2123 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36

nelsongames (2817 views)
2018-04-24 18:14:32
Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-02-17 20:25:53

Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:33:38

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:29:55

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:56:20
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org