games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203
  ignore  |  Print  
  What I did today  (Read 2774634 times)
Offline NuclearPixels
« Reply #6000 - Posted 2018-06-27 22:38:40 »

Was quite busy lately, nevertheless added few minor things to the project (also some models, but those I will showcase later, when I finish the animation). Added some shader based night with lightning. Not perfect but I am happy with result so far (the two lights were added just to test blending).

Click to Play

Learning and having fun developing games. Twitter: https://twitter.com/NuclearPixels
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6001 - Posted 2018-06-28 02:47:22 »

I've been testing JDialogue today. All of the functionality is done, and to see how it all came together, I made a test program that will let me test dialogue. I ended up making this beauty with it.

And the JDialogue editor counterpart:

The reality of what people are going to actually use these tools for when it comes to Robot Farm is starting to set in. You have a world editor, a lua mod editing tool, and a dialogue editor. What could go wrong?

EDIT:
It's feature complete! Going to implement it into Robot Farm and see how it fares, and then I'll post it here.

it just werks
Offline NuclearPixels
« Reply #6002 - Posted 2018-06-28 13:39:58 »

Looks good Smiley. There is an extra line between the nodes? Any specific reason for it to be there? Tongue

Learning and having fun developing games. Twitter: https://twitter.com/NuclearPixels
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6003 - Posted 2018-06-28 18:41:40 »

Looks good Smiley. There is an extra line between the nodes? Any specific reason for it to be there? Tongue
Check out the output I posted, the dialogue loops on itself if you answer no. That's why the one at the end is connected to the one at the beginning. I know it looks weird, I'm not sure what I can do to make connections like that look better. Lol

EDIT:
Fixed it

EDIT 2:
It's implemented into Robot Farm. I did some tests with the Hello World dialogue, it'd take about thirty minutes to an hour to make the set of dialogue the old way (manually coding it), whereas it takes about ten minutes to make the same thing in JDialogue and import it into Robot Farm. All in all, I'm really happy with the outcome. I'm also excited to share it with you guys and Robot Farm modders in the future too.

EDIT 3:
Reported some bugs to the RichTextFX team. Once that's ironed out, I think JDialogue is about ready for an "official" release.

it just werks
Offline orange451

JGO Kernel

Medals: 432
Projects: 7
Exp: 7 years

Your face? Your ass? What's the difference?

« Reply #6004 - Posted 2018-06-30 22:26:03 »

Created a "SegmentedButton". I saw it as part of ControlsFX, and thought it's a neat idea!

First Recon. A java made online first person shooter!
Offline beeaware
« Reply #6005 - Posted 2018-06-30 22:50:28 »

Worked on 'boss' level for Bee Amazed (in Bee Amazed a ghost can chase you… if it catches you, it will take you to it's dungeon, and since the ghost used to be a teacher, it will force you to solve an equation within 10 seconds  Grin).
The blue bar represents the available time (shrinking towards the center), and the ghost moves around a bit while fading in and out (and sometimes distorts). The bee looks up in awe. Ofcourse, there are ghostly sounds.
(and yes, the ghost is a warped/distorted picture of myself... however, I do look better than that. really, I do.)

Edit: changed 'sum' to 'equation'. Silly me.

You know you're getting old when you played Pong while it was still hot...
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6006 - Posted 2018-07-01 04:53:26 »

I added support for custom syntax. You can import a text file with the syntax your game uses and it'll highlight it for you so you don't accidentally type the wrong thing:

Some elaboration:

When you're editing:

it just werks
Offline Sickan
« Reply #6007 - Posted 2018-07-01 22:07:42 »

Today I optimized an algorithm that slowed the game to a crawl so that it can run once per frame without significant performance loss, among other things. Very refreshing compared to the bug-fixing, refactoring and re-design that takes up a lot of my time.
Offline ral0r2
« Reply #6008 - Posted 2018-07-02 14:11:40 »

I added support for custom syntax. You can import a text file with the syntax your game uses and it'll highlight it for you so you don't accidentally type the wrong thing:

Some elaboration:

When you're editing:

May I ask what Framework / Language you use for this? Is it Java? @SkyAphid
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6009 - Posted 2018-07-02 21:16:27 »

May I ask what Framework / Language you use for this? Is it Java? @SkyAphid

Yeah, I wrote it with JavaFX last week. The fact that it's in Java gives java developers a lot of benefits, such as being able to use the software as an API itself in games. I plan on including a stripped down "API" version that just contains essentials for use in games, but you can also get the full executable jar as well with the UI attached.

it just werks
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6010 - Posted 2018-07-03 12:45:47 »

Finally got support in for "Global Configurations" of worlds, i.e. calling lua code when you do things in the world. In the screenshot below, my new "small_talk.lua" file is being called by the game when you interact with NPCs. I'll be replacing our old systems with lua code for stuff like this so that the player can fully customize the majority of major interactions with the world, such as dialogue and events. Of course, important stuff like the more complex AI and game mechanics will stay in the actual Java code. Basically, the goal is to allow players to mod the game into different flavors, while still keeping the base intact.

Which is controlled by:
--Should be called when the player interacts with an NPC, in that case, we'll try and initiate a greeting
function Main(gameTools, worldTools, hudTools, playerTools, interactingWith)
  print("Test small_talk.lua:"..interactingWith:getName())
  hudTools:newTextBox(interactingWith, "What'
s up [[PLAYER_NAME]]?")
end

Next up, I'll start tying this functionality together with the new JDialogue stuff.

it just werks
Offline orange451

JGO Kernel

Medals: 432
Projects: 7
Exp: 7 years

Your face? Your ass? What's the difference?

« Reply #6011 - Posted 2018-07-04 04:21:08 »

Started implementation of TabPane

First Recon. A java made online first person shooter!
Offline beeaware
« Reply #6012 - Posted 2018-07-05 22:11:06 »

Used FileOptimizer to compress optimize 211 png files with a total disksize of 469 Mb to a mere 7,41 Mb (lossless...amazing!). Took 1.5 hour, but was worth it since it downsized my jar from 210 Mb to 187 Mb. Still a few hundred png's to go, so the jar will be even smaller.

Offline FabulousFellini
« Reply #6013 - Posted 2018-07-06 23:45:05 »

I've been working on my new game which will eventually be an RPG about pirates.  I still don't want to put it in a WIP thread yet because its still a major prototype, but I have tiles, three characters that follow each other (that will eventually the player will be able to switch between all three because they will all have different weapons).   I also have a half assed weather system with rain, lightning flashes with a screenshake, and lighting bolts (thanks to @Cero and @Phased - I used that lightning bolt code).  I also have a really bad particle system implementing fire which will be changed later I think unless all the other graphics fit it.   Here's the crappy video of what I have (keep in mind almost all graphics are protos:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DW0Xz7QLcZw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DW0Xz7QLcZw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Anyone that's wondering, I'm still working on the game for kids with my friend, but I only code that when she's here because she wants to learn how it's made.   So far that game only have a crap load of questions and answers and a screen and a button lol.

-FabulousFellini
www.fabulousfellini.com
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6014 - Posted 2018-07-08 13:21:03 »

If you need help with anything, feel free to message me. I can probably help make the party members follow you a bit smoother, we have the same kind of stuff in Robot Farm.

it just werks
Offline VaTTeRGeR
« Reply #6015 - Posted 2018-07-10 21:24:04 »

I started playing around with pathfinding today and got this far:

[It starts inside the "bowl" on the left and tries to reach the blue circle on the right]

There is no grid here, its doing circle overlap checks to crawl through the map, every green circle is a node that got evaluated.

The performance depends mostly on how many objects you can filter out before they are checked for overlap,
since there are up to 11 collision checks against all nearby objects for every green node.

The benefit of this method is that different unit sizes are taken into account naturally (tiny soldier vs bulky tank) and that there is no need for memory heavy grids or work intensive/static nav meshes, which is perfect for large sparse areas. I could also vary the size of the test circles dynamically to reduce the amount of checks even further when it's just going through an empty area.

The downside is that it's not guaranteed to provide an optimal and fast solution if the path-width is getting close to being the size of the unit that tries to traverse it.

tl:dr => began developing my homebrew gridless A* today
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6016 - Posted 2018-07-13 01:22:39 »

We plan on trying to release our big Robot Farm video by the end of this month! It's going to be a big changelog video around 5-6 minutes long. I'm so excited to show it off!

it just werks
Offline beeaware
« Reply #6017 - Posted 2018-07-13 21:58:56 »

Forgot what I did today, but I know what I'm doing now… eating emmenthaler bites with mayonnaise and ketchup!  Grin

Offline beeaware
« Reply #6018 - Posted 2018-07-14 17:40:49 »

I've been polishing Bee Aware! for the last two months, and am rounding up the last bits. A new demo is planned for this week, together with new screenshots and video's. Bee vs Mites (a topdown scroller) has been upgraded, and now includes realistic, thick smoke effects, water and leaves effects, a smoother gameloop and a boss level. Bee vs Mites is playable from the demo, as is Bee Puzzled (jigsaw game).
More updates:
- The playable bee now has animated wings.
- Improved interface for the quizzes (Bee Smart - 5 quizzes, 20 questions each).
- A set of 18 new card foregrounds and 75 new images (total 150) for the memory game (Bee Remembered).
- New (small) end animation for Bee Remembered.
- Added a ghost to Bee Amazed (maze game). If it catches you, you're forced to solve an equation (the ghost used to be a teacher).
- New (small) end animation for Bee Puzzled.
- Added 20 images to the jigsaw game, which makes a total of 50 images.
- Made 4 themes for Bee't the Bear (puzzle game), summer, autumn, winter and a desert theme.
- Added three difficulty levels to Bee Fast (arcade game).
- Implemented a day/night cycle in Bee Fast (I love it when the lights of the tractor and plane are activated).
- Added a lot of nonsensical text to BB, a bee that talks too much  Grin, whichs brings me to a total of 211 silly texts.
- Improved overall gameplay, cleaned up unnecessary code, improved graphics where needed etc. etc.
- Added extra achievements for Steam (beat the boss, solve an equation etc.).

I need a break.

Offline VaTTeRGeR
« Reply #6019 - Posted 2018-07-15 06:54:56 »

The pathfinding is in a working state now Cheesy

[Warning: 7mb gif]
Click to Play

It takes like ~2 milliseconds each to calculate these paths (and post process them), which is not that bad considering i threw ArrayLists, bloated objects and comparators at it. Also there's no quad-tree or gridmap to rule out objects before doing collision checks, so i'm pretty confident that i can get it down to <10% of the current calculation time.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #6020 - Posted 2018-07-15 10:12:45 »

Really nice work. Clever for using circles to get around not having a grid. How many times will you recalculate pathing? Would be interesting to see if this method can handle unit on unit collision

Offline VaTTeRGeR
« Reply #6021 - Posted 2018-07-15 13:49:09 »

Would be interesting to see if this method can handle unit on unit collision

Updating the collision map is very cheap and short paths are very cheap too, i might just try recalculating part of the path on collision or wait depending on what the unit is colliding with.

I could also merge paths if they overlap and then separate them again, but that's potentially complex.

I could take into account when paths are blocked and use that information in the pathfinder when polling for obstacles, the pathfinder can approximate the time it takes to get to a certain point so it can ask for obstacles in cell X at time T and pathfind with that, but that's again interfering with path optimization a bit, i would have to optimize paths simultaneously while pathfinding to get accurate times for that, but even then it'll still be neither 100% accurate nor easy to implement...

A good thing is that this game isn't supposed to have infantry moving together with multiple tanks in a compact blob at full speed like in Star Craft, that would be suicidal, it'll be more like an hierarchy of who makes place / stalls for whom. Vehicles will usually not move in a blob but in a line anyway and infantry can slip through the cracks and get shoved around, they don't even need to be positioned accurately. The server doesn't need to know where exactly they are getting drawn, they are behaving consistently as long as they are displayed to the player somewhere within X meters of their simulated position.

I don't know a good solution right now Huh it's a very hard problem to solve efficiently.

How many times will you recalculate pathing?
Often but i might use hierarchical pathfinding so i don't spend so much time when recalculating is needed.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #6022 - Posted 2018-07-15 21:27:47 »

Great ideas. Maybe just do unit on unit collision between opposing players, or between stationary units and moving units, not moving on moving units. Most times stationary units are used for blocking. Blocking with moving units would not be expected by the player.

Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

Medals: 9
Exp: 5 years

« Reply #6023 - Posted 2018-07-16 09:17:52 »

The pathfinding is in a working state now Cheesy

[…]

It takes like ~2 milliseconds each to calculate these paths (and post process them), which is not that bad considering i threw ArrayLists, bloated objects and comparators at it. Also there's no quad-tree or gridmap to rule out objects before doing collision checks, so i'm pretty confident that i can get it down to <10% of the current calculation time.

That's a good start I guess. And I like those little Tiger tanks you have there. You always seem to be doing WWII stuff, huh? Wink

Yesterday I realized that it would've been a good idea to decouple the game logic and the rendering in my game. The problem with this is that I do all the work on the JavaFX thread, and that slows everything down, e.g. the profiler shows that some "waitForRenderingToComplete" method takes half of CPU time Shocked (with GPU load being very low, so it definitely is the game logic that blocks the rendering). Then I tried to make it two threads, but that didn't work as it should because of my messed up code. I'll leave it like it is and hope that people who play it have fast enough CPUs…

But I've learned and am still learning from my mistakes. Before doing my next poject I'll read Game Programming Patterns closely. It helps a ton for unexperienced programmers like me. And I'll make at least one prototype before starting to code the real game next time.

Cheers

P.S.: I definitely won't use JavaFX for a game again.

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6024 - Posted 2018-07-17 00:40:38 »

Where would I post JDialogue on here? The showcase or another subforum? I'm not really sure what to do since it's not technically a game, but it is a fully functioning program that's used for game making.

it just werks
Offline DarkCart

JGO Kernel

Medals: 123
Projects: 9
Exp: 50 years

It's all in the mind, y'know.

« Reply #6025 - Posted 2018-07-17 02:50:27 »

Where would I post JDialogue on here? The showcase or another subforum? I'm not really sure what to do since it's not technically a game, but it is a fully functioning program that's used for game making.

Post it on WIP games, tools & toy projects

The darkest of carts.
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6026 - Posted 2018-07-17 03:48:05 »

Post it on WIP games, tools & toy projects

I always figured that the WIP part was implied for all of those

it just werks
Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

Medals: 9
Exp: 5 years

« Reply #6027 - Posted 2018-07-17 14:49:28 »

Today I worked on parallelized map loading for my game. It always took very long to load maps (my reflection-based approach is actually slow, but anyway) and made debugging and testing uncomfortable. Now my idea was to split a map file into as many parts as CPU cores available on the system when loading it. This worked and it was already ~200%  faster, however it turned out to be even faster when using a number of threads two times the number of CPU cores (now 300-400% faster than the serial approach).

Here is the output of a testing run with a few runs for each method. You can also see the JVM HotSpot in action for both methods (it's getting faster):

Serial: 1.227s
Parallel: 0.847s
Serial: 1.626s
Parallel: 0.198s
Serial: 0.675s
Parallel: 0.174s
Serial: 0.636s
Parallel: 0.145s
Serial: 0.614s
Parallel: 0.130s

Does anyone have an explanation why it's faster to use "number of cores x 2" threads? There's no hyperthreading involved on my CPU. Also had a look at it in the profiler, but couldn't see anything suspicious.

Cheers

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #6028 - Posted 2018-07-17 15:13:38 »

Does anyone have an explanation why it's faster to use "number of cores x 2" threads? There's no hyperthreading involved on my CPU. Also had a look at it in the profiler, but couldn't see anything suspicious
Could be the way cpus often have 2 logical cores per one physical core. Your ‘number of cores’ probably gives physical cores, not logical cores.

Offline elect

JGO Knight

Medals: 59

« Reply #6029 - Posted 2018-07-17 16:48:44 »

Today I worked on parallelized map loading for my game. It always took very long to load maps (my reflection-based approach is actually slow, but anyway)

What are those maps exactly? How did you load them before?
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203
  ignore  |  Print  

EgonOlsen (525 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (629 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (426 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (772 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (1018 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36

nelsongames (983 views)
2018-04-24 18:14:32

ivj94 (1547 views)
2018-03-24 14:47:39

ivj94 (559 views)
2018-03-24 14:46:31

ivj94 (1329 views)
2018-03-24 14:43:53

Solater (562 views)
2018-03-17 05:04:08
Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:38:37

Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:37:39

Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:36:10

Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:33:10

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:05:44

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:04:45

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:45:19

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:44:05
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org