Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 206
  ignore  |  Print  
  What I did today  (Read 2902441 times)
Offline VaTTeRGeR
« Reply #5910 - Posted 2018-04-27 17:41:16 »

@FabulousFellini

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_projection

Have a look at the bottom right, the camera is looking down at an 45° angle, the stuff in your example is not rendered though so i don't think the perspective is consistent.

Offline FabulousFellini
« Reply #5911 - Posted 2018-04-27 17:42:31 »

@FabulousFellini

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_projection

Have a look at the bottom right, the camera is looking down at an 45° angle, the stuff in your example is not rendered though so i don't think the perspective is consistent.

Dude, thanks!  That's a huge help and will also help me understand the isometric angles too!

-FabulousFellini
www.fabulousfellini.com
Offline philfrei
« Reply #5912 - Posted 2018-04-27 19:05:36 »

I just managed to generate a self-contained application from my java project, complete with Windows installation file: "ToneCircleDroneApp-1.0.exe"

As I'm new to this process (unlike princec), it took a lot longer than 1 hr. But now that I have a working path, when I update the code and do this again, it should be pretty simple--just a matter of dropping the source code in the right place and running the Ant build.exe that I made using the following tutorial example (with modifications, of course).

Deploying the JavaFX Hello World Example as a Self-Contained Application
I went ahead and set this up my application as a Java 9 project, using Oracle's Deployment Guide. Converting to Java 9 went smoothly.

This build.xml also made a Webstart complete with .jar, .jnlp, and a .html for testing purposes. But I don't plan to deploy as a WebStart, so will probably just ignore these or figure out how to shave the generating code from the build.xml.

I wasn't able to figure out the "external jar" example that follows the example above. So as a work-around, I made a "source code only" jar export, and unpacked that into the src folder. All the code was DIY, no libraries. But it would be nice to understand how to reference a .jar. Should I post a question at jgo on this which shows the build file and the error messages I get?

Next up:

1) A bit of debugging I put off for the app itself. (There is a intermittent timing problem to fix that I came across while playing along with my new app.)

2) Figure out the steps required to hone down the packaged jre using JLink. If this proves too hard, can just skip the step! The app is 179 MB. Maybe that is not so terribly large. Of this, 177 MB is the runtime.

3) Learn how to get this onto itch.io!

I have some more documentation to write, too.

Hey! What is the best way to give customers files that they can load into the application? I have lots of .xml files that can be loaded and played. I'll have a dedicated website--just put them in a zip for people to download and unpack?

It would be nice if the Install included some files for loading. Unclear to me how this is done.

music and music apps: http://adonax.com
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #5913 - Posted 2018-04-28 07:44:51 »

I realized making an isometric game might be beyond the scope of my knowledge being new to LibGDX, so I scrapped that idea and will either make the game top down or top down / angled back, like how Earthbound is for a lot of the game.  Like this...does anyone know what this style/camera view is called?   Or what axis and angle the camera is rotated?  I messed around with it for a while last night but couldn't really get it to look right.

Just to answer your question, this is called an orthographic rpg viewpoint. The specific angling of some of the areas is just part of the artstyle. Robot Farm uses a similar viewpoint and a similar cartoony artstyle too, but we tried to make ours unique so that it wouldn't be instantly recognizable as "looking like X" or something.

Speaking of Robot Farm, this is a bit old, but we've been working on combat a bit. This screenshot is of an attack called "Zekkai," which is similar to Kaio-Ken from Dragonball. The cool thing about is that it works as a buff to attack, but the twist is that you turn it on and off manually (I.E. it doesn't wear out after a few turns) and it instead consumes stamina each turn and can eventually start killing you once you run out of stamina. There's also alternate Zekkai's for each stat category (speed, defense), and they can be stacked, at the cost of more stamina with each one. So I'm excited to see how it's used by players since you can use it to turn the tides of battle (literal meaning of Zekkai), but maybe at the cost of causing a team member to be killed by the resource implications.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I haven't really gotten to ramble about this yet and wanted to get it out of my system!

it just werks
Offline philfrei
« Reply #5914 - Posted 2018-05-04 17:53:20 »

Successfully used JLink with my ToneCircleDrone project.

The tcd-image file folder is 74MB. (Still have to figure out how to incorporate this into packaging.)

A previously packaged iteration with the complete runtime was 179 MB. So that's a reduction to what, about 2/5th of the larger size?

I ran into problems trying to get this to work, but they were mostly due to ignorance about command-line Java commands and how the shell environment works.

Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

Medals: 9
Exp: 5 years

« Reply #5915 - Posted 2018-05-06 10:37:32 »

Not today, but over the last few days I've cleaned up and refactored many things in my platformer game that I'm working on since 1½ years now. I hope that I'll be done with the programming parts in a few weeks and can start making more levels, more art and the story soon.

There are three things I learned during development so far:
- don't write your own markup language (inspired by TreeML) for data files, use JSON instead
- if you're not good at drawing, use vector graphics, either Blender or Inkscape for in-game art
- the first 90% of code take 90% of time, the last 10% take the other 90% of time Wink

Haven't visited here since quite a few months now, and Gosh, it's quiet in here! Does no one use Java for game programming anymore?

Cheers

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Offline Shatterhand

Junior Devvie

Medals: 9

« Reply #5916 - Posted 2018-05-07 15:47:10 »

Boosted my level creation pipeline by adding a ton of improvements to my level editor. At least making a GUI is comfortable with JavaFX Wink

Successfully used JLink with my ToneCircleDrone project.

The tcd-image file folder is 74MB. (Still have to figure out how to incorporate this into packaging.)

A previously packaged iteration with the complete runtime was 179 MB. So that's a reduction to what, about 2/5th of the larger size?

179MB really isn't too bad given the ever growing storage space today.

Cheers

Micro$oft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
Offline philfrei
« Reply #5917 - Posted 2018-05-10 07:05:36 »

I managed to get as far as creating ToneCircleDrone.1.0.exe today, using command-line Java and javapackager and jlink. Whether it works or not, IDK. I'm scared to try running it. I'm just happy the javapackager -deploy command executed without error. Maybe tomorrow morning.

I did click it and a standard Windows install program started. I quickly cancelled out.

The .exe file is 40MB. The file folder source is 73MB and has a customized runtime. With the full-sized runtime, it would be 178MB.

I still have to put in an .ico file. Am wondering about adding some more compression and/or obfustication.

I made extensive notes of the process. Every error along the way has been recorded, as well as some choice explitives. Maybe I'll write a tutorial. It will show how to do this "the long way" with every step discussed in detail. I will aim it for programmers like myself who have remained blissfully ignorant of OS command shells & commandline Java, thanks to having a magical IDE.

Fingers crossed. This plan assumes the exe I made actually works.

Offline KaiHH

JGO Kernel

Medals: 622

« Reply #5918 - Posted 2018-05-10 12:03:58 »

Added OpenJDK and OracleJDK 10 and 11 builds of JOML to its Travis configuration. Using OpenJDK 11's javadoc actually caught some HTML errors. Also now the artifacts are automatically deployed to the oss.sonatype.org Maven repository once the build completes, following this nice howto example: https://github.com/making/travis-ci-maven-deploy-skelton.
The times when I would forget to deploy a change by hand are finally over now! Smiley
Offline cylab

JGO Kernel

Medals: 187

« Reply #5919 - Posted 2018-05-10 12:25:51 »

Finished (somewhat) a new track:
https://soundcloud.com/mathias-h/anticipation

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #5920 - Posted 2018-05-15 01:25:35 »

Here's a small look at our environment updates to Robot Farm. But we'll be releasing some videos soon, hopefully.

it just werks
Offline orange451

JGO Kernel

Medals: 438
Projects: 7
Exp: 7 years

Your face? Your ass? What's the difference?

« Reply #5921 - Posted 2018-05-15 01:48:28 »

Have some more free time on my hands.

Started back on my UI solution for lwjgl3.

Click to Play

Click to Play

Click to Play

I want to make it /similar/ to JavaFX, but be limited to just basic UI functionality.

The goal is to recreate a testing IDE I wrote using JavaFX a few months ago:

I want to create a proper IDE for my rendering engine.

So far the setup is quite minimal:
public class HelloWorld {
   public static final int WIDTH   = 320;
   public static final int HEIGHT  = 240;

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {
      if ( !glfwInit() )
         throw new IllegalStateException("Unable to initialize GLFW");

// Create a standard opengl 3.2 window. You can do this yourself.
      long window = LWJGUIUtil.createOpenGLCoreWindow("LWJGUI Window", WIDTH, HEIGHT);

// Initialize lwjgui for this window
      Scene scene = LWJGUI.initialize(window);

// Add some components
      addComponents(scene);

// Game Loop
      while (!GLFW.glfwWindowShouldClose(window)) {
         // Clear screen
         glClearColor(0,0,0,0);
         glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT|GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT);

// poll events to callbacks
         glfwPollEvents();

// Render GUI
         LWJGUI.render();

// Draw
         glfwSwapBuffers(window);
      }

glfwDestroyWindow(window);
      glfwTerminate();
   }

private static void addComponents(Scene scene) {
      // Create a simple pane
      StackPane pane = new StackPane();

// Add the pane to the scene
      scene.getChildren().add(pane);

// Put a label in the pane
      pane.getChildren().add(new Label("Hello World!"));
   }
}

First Recon. A java made online first person shooter!
Offline tariqbroadnax

Senior Devvie

Medals: 7
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #5922 - Posted 2018-05-15 02:56:41 »

Finished (somewhat) a new track:
https://soundcloud.com/mathias-h/anticipation

Just listened to it. Its sick.
Offline NuclearPixels
« Reply #5923 - Posted 2018-05-16 22:49:29 »

So, took a Break after 2.5 month of learning Blender and doing my first animations and was working for last few weeks on new UI version (version 4 Cheesy). And of course I do not like it Sad, but I will not be reworking it anytime before I release a version for gamedev community to give a try (still have ~10 features to implement and 4 animations to do and some buildings to model).

Here is the result:

There are still a few tiny buttons missing, but I will fix that in the following days.

tldr: the best outcome of the new UI development process is not the new UI itself (well it is an improvement, but I still hate it) but the fact that now I have solid idea for the fifth version of UI, which I will be integrating into the public beta version.

Learning and having fun developing games. Twitter: https://twitter.com/NuclearPixels
Offline Sickan
« Reply #5924 - Posted 2018-05-17 14:23:58 »

Been working on an assignment for my Java college course, build an issue tracking system using JSF for web UI, Swing for desktop UI, and JPA for persistence. Copious amounts of magic complicating everything - my build is broken because I didn't add the right jar to the classpath, or because I added the wrong annotation, or because something is wrong with the XML file. The fix is right there in the manual, and usually doesn't work. Sometimes changing library version fixes the bug, allowing me to go on to fixing the next broken mess.

Usually nothing goes wrong until at runtime. It reminds me very much of what it is like developing in JS with NPM and co. What's wrong with objects, functions, and compile-time errors?
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #5925 - Posted 2018-05-20 01:10:43 »

So, took a Break after 2.5 month of learning Blender and doing my first animations and was working for last few weeks on new UI version (version 4 Cheesy). And of course I do not like it Sad, but I will not be reworking it anytime before I release a version for gamedev community to give a try (still have ~10 features to implement and 4 animations to do and some buildings to model).

snip

Ohhh, I like your pre-rendered graphics. But I will say, make sure you keep the perspective correct to make it look good. You can use Blender's camera feature to render them at the correct angle every time to make sure that everything is consistent. If you need any feedback or help, feel free to message me. I have a lot of experience with Blender and Substance Painter.

it just werks
Offline 65K
« Reply #5926 - Posted 2018-05-20 06:36:05 »

Copious amounts of magic complicating everything
Welcome to the beautiful world of Java business software Grin
You should definitely add Spring to your project and because that's hard to handle SpringBoot on top of it Grin

Lethal Running - a RPG about a deadly game show held in a futuristic dystopian society.
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1356
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #5927 - Posted 2018-05-20 10:46:59 »

Been working on an assignment for my Java college course, build an issue tracking system using JSF for web UI, Swing for desktop UI, and JPA for persistence. Copious amounts of magic complicating everything - my build is broken because I didn't add the right jar to the classpath, or because I added the wrong annotation, or because something is wrong with the XML file. The fix is right there in the manual, and usually doesn't work. Sometimes changing library version fixes the bug, allowing me to go on to fixing the next broken mess.

Usually nothing goes wrong until at runtime. It reminds me very much of what it is like developing in JS with NPM and co. What's wrong with objects, functions, and compile-time errors?

This will be 75% of your daytime job, one day (unless you get out of the misery called JEE). The bigger the project, the harder it gets - while the business-logic typically gets easier, and you get better at it... so all the fun stuff will be done in a spiffy. Throw Spring, Camel, OSGI (!), maven and grails into the mix, and you're all set! Mostly because each and every compile-time step has caching, and caches get out of sync... leading to perpetually undefined code-versions being loaded. Pro-tip: it may seem like a waste of time, but eventually you end up with a script that clears a dozen odd cache directories, rebuilding everything from scratch all the time. Sure, fixing that typo has a 6 minute roundtrip-time, but at least you know your change made it into the runtime!

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline VaTTeRGeR
« Reply #5928 - Posted 2018-05-20 13:01:35 »

The fix is right there in the manual, and usually doesn't work. Sometimes changing library version fixes the bug
*Needing a library to set up the library*
fixing that typo has a 6 minute roundtrip-time
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #5929 - Posted 2018-05-21 02:07:50 »

I'm not a Java enterprise edition JEE developer, but always wondered what the point of having lots of settings in XML files and command line arguments was all about. It would make more sense to express these settings in code.
Similarly for Ant. Why make the Ant XML language to compile java code when java code can simply be used.
For this reason I thought that Nate's SCAR project was very clever
https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/scar

Perhaps JEE is aimed at non programmer system administrators who don't want to mess with code, just XML settings that they can more readily understand.

I learned Java Tomcat, a very minimal version of JEE and am still frustrated with all the command line and XML settings in context.xml and other configuration files

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1058
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #5930 - Posted 2018-05-21 08:28:39 »

One look at the Tomcat configuration xml was all I needed to know I didn't ever want to go down that path.

Cas Smiley

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #5931 - Posted 2018-05-21 08:42:29 »

Haha yes. But the alternative was to host the website using a PHP server which would have been 10x harder to learn with it's own inane configuration! Tomcat was the least-worst option that I was aware of, from the point of view of an amateur who wanted to avoid learning any more languages than necessary.
JSP pages were interesting and I sometimes use them. But the NetBeans IDE  doesn't let you refactor the java code inside them at all which is a pain in the neck.

Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

Medals: 518

« Reply #5932 - Posted 2018-05-21 09:11:19 »

An OIT paper that looks interesting: http://momentsingraphics.de/?page_id=210
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 508

I'm the King!

« Reply #5933 - Posted 2018-05-21 11:16:27 »

This is why I'm glad I work at Google: all our tools and frameworks are built in-house. The code to every little thing I work with is available to me. Documentation for popular frameworks and libraries are thorough and there's plenty of examples from other projects who used them. It's the sweetest gig.

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1356
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #5934 - Posted 2018-05-21 11:43:49 »

This is why I'm glad I work at Google: all our tools and frameworks are built in-house. The code to every little thing I work with is available to me. Documentation for popular frameworks and libraries are thorough and there's plenty of examples from other projects who used them. It's the sweetest gig.
Yeah, well... back in the day, when I was young and innocent, I typically barked at the mediocre stuff Google pushed into the world... Nearly everything they made was in the 'meh' category. These days I long for 'meh' levels of stability and productivity. Google's stuff aint so bad.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1058
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #5935 - Posted 2018-05-21 11:48:24 »

Google occasionally put out the odd decent bit of code that I find a use for... like some of the stuff in their guava library, that's quite handy for things like bidirectional maps and so on.

Cas Smiley

Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Medals: 367

Make code not war!

« Reply #5936 - Posted 2018-05-21 20:01:20 »

Spent the last few days playing with my new Oculus Go. Amazing thing!

Offline orange451

JGO Kernel

« Reply #5937 - Posted 2018-05-21 23:21:01 »

How is it? I bought an oculus dev kit 2 back in 2012. It was pretty neat.

Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Medals: 367

Make code not war!

« Reply #5938 - Posted 2018-05-22 04:53:46 »

The image quality is better than the DK2, from what I recall. For example, screen door effect is much less apparent with the Go (because of higher resolution and bigger pixels). The Go is capable of some pretty nice visuals considering it has a just mobile hardware. For example, the visuals in a game like Coaster Combat are every bit as good as anything I saw with the DK2. Another gorgeous experience is Ocean Rift. I haven't tried the consumer version Rift however. The sound from the inbuilt speakers is very good and is not too disturbing to others nearby, assuming there is a bit of ambient noise going on.

The Go only has 3DOF so it can be a bit disorienting if you move your head forwards or backwards for example (as there is no visual feedback).

Netflix works well - probably better than on the Rift because of the higher resolution of the Go.

When I'm in the UI I feel there are limitations to the visuals (blurriness of text and off-center images), but when I am in-game I don't notice any visual defects. I can't compare to the DK2 as it's years since I used it, but Oculus do claim to have made major improvements in the lenses in the Go vs the Rift.

Battery life is VERY limited, but apparently is better than Gear VR.

Let me put it this way: my family likes it so much we are getting a second one. We'll also be getting one for our grandkids.

Offline orange451

JGO Kernel

« Reply #5939 - Posted 2018-05-22 16:47:39 »

Might be time for me to start looking into them again Smiley

Could be fun to make a VR game

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 206
  ignore  |  Print  

EgonOlsen (1599 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (1700 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (1154 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (1582 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (1182 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36

nelsongames (1705 views)
2018-04-24 18:14:32

ivj94 (2473 views)
2018-03-24 14:47:39

ivj94 (1690 views)
2018-03-24 14:46:31

ivj94 (2771 views)
2018-03-24 14:43:53

Solater (911 views)
2018-03-17 05:04:08
Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:33:38

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:29:55

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:56:20

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:54:46
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org