What I did today  (Read 2379864 times)
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 507
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #5820 - Posted 2017-12-20 10:11:20 »

Why not just use the Canvas API directly?

Offline jonjava
« Reply #5821 - Posted 2017-12-20 20:42:32 »

Been looking at JavaScript game libraries. Every one I've encountered thus far is the same: register the assets you want to use. Register the sprites you want to render. Everything is held together with string identifiers. persecutioncomplex

I just want to load and display images without having to wrestle with a scene graph. Is that to much to ask?

Nothing is stopping you. Use the DOM as is or use the Canvas API. Or use a render library like pixi.js. Or use a a myriad of other libraries. Or use a game famework library.,js,output
( live coding of it: )
( live coding of it: )

e.g. this was made without any external frameworks or libraries:

The browser is just a weird menagerie of drawing/painting tools. Mainly/loosely SVG, CSS, Canvas -- bound together by jesus tape ( the DOM ).

Offline Sickan
« Reply #5822 - Posted 2017-12-20 21:19:51 »

Thanks guys, honestly using the canvas API never entered my mind. That's what you get for researching tools at 12 AM  Roll Eyes
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline KillahByte

Junior Newbie

Medals: 1
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #5823 - Posted 2017-12-20 21:59:08 »

I'm learning Scene2d within LibGDX. Been a network engineer for ~15 years, finally taking a hobby I've tinkered with throughout the years and developing it into a workable skill. 3 months into serious practice and my 3rd run at a game seems to be coming together. Building UI stuff for context menus and building skins in Skin Composer to style the UI.
Offline philfrei
« Reply #5824 - Posted 2017-12-20 22:20:35 »

Just swapped in OpenSimplexNoise for Gustafson's SimplexNoise implementation, for the few spots where I am using 3D. Thought it might be a good idea to test/do this before making the program commercially available.

It didn't noticably impact processing speed.

The animated clouds that resulted were a bit more soft-textured than before, but the softness is actually kind of nice. I made a slight adjustment mixing the higher octaves to greater relative amplitudes, and increased the increment which I am using to transverse through the space. It looks good.

I'm happy.

[EDIT: made a little video demo of the effect. But the result is kind of blurry. Didn't realize we couldn't go full screen--I should have made it larger. Video starts with a slow drone using a common tanpura pattern, and a night sky background. Then I switch over to the day background and load a more complex loop. I'm not attempting to show off any of the intonation-modification aspects in this vid. Just some twinkling stars and floating clouds.]
<a href=";hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

music and music apps:
Offline Guerra2442

Senior Devvie

Medals: 38
Exp: 2 years

« Reply #5825 - Posted 2017-12-22 09:37:06 »

Implemented reversed depth and infinite far plane.

- 5 square kilometers.
- 1M triangles, 4 * 1024 shadow maps, Volumetric light and clouds, PBR, FXAA, SSAO, Dynamic skydome.
- No frustum/occlusion culling.
- On a GTX 750Ti.

Working on Light Engine.
Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

Medals: 517

« Reply #5826 - Posted 2017-12-22 11:40:53 »

Skimmed this post:
Offline Spasi
« Reply #5827 - Posted 2017-12-22 15:10:59 »

What a waste of time reinventing an inferior OpenCL running on the CPU. You could do this in LWJGL since 2010.
Offline girthquake
« Reply #5828 - Posted 2017-12-26 08:54:34 »

Had way too many of these on christmas Emo

I made this in libgdx, it gets big frame drops when you go crazy with the line but looks decent.

Maybe I'll turn it into a puzzle game of sorts, or maybe a 2d sandbox where you can spawn stuff.

Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

« Reply #5829 - Posted 2017-12-27 17:52:44 »

@Spasi: Programs that use GPU tend to be GPU bound.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Spasi
« Reply #5830 - Posted 2017-12-27 20:29:11 »

@Spasi: Programs that use GPU tend to be GPU bound.

Not sure what you mean. I'm talking about running OpenCL on the CPU, doing CPU work. Either because it's not GPU friendly or the payload is too small to be worth the CPU/GPU transfer overhead. Both Intel's and AMD's runtimes are mature and do fantastic vectorization.

This has actually been my motivation for maintaining the OpenCL bindings: enabling Java developers to easily write cross-platform SIMD programs. GPU applications are usually best served by GL/Vulkan compute or CUDA.
Offline LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #5831 - Posted 2017-12-28 08:27:57 »

Completed the main features of yet another prototype, corpse cooking fun.
Now to just refactor the whole thing, remove the placeholder gfx and finish it.

Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

« Reply #5832 - Posted 2017-12-28 10:07:04 »

Yeah I wasn't clear.  I wouldn't use OpenCL for CPU in AOT land.  I'd use ISCP...not that that's ideal and not than I'd expect everyone to agree with me.  There's plenty of "let's use CPUs power" territory to be explored.  So I'm not going to be dismissive for people trying different things.
Offline Mac70
« Reply #5833 - Posted 2017-12-29 18:47:19 »

More like "What I bugged today": in movie linked below I'm pressing "w" key all the time.
Offline Damocles
« Reply #5834 - Posted 2017-12-31 19:13:18 »

Did some concept work work for a space game.
Mainly to get a feel for the overall presentation style:

Offline Sickan
« Reply #5835 - Posted 2018-01-02 14:55:48 »

Been working on random terrain generation in HTML5 using JS. Writing UI in HTML is nice, Canvas performance is bad but that's to be expected, save games are limited to ~5MB, and using JS object literals instead of JSON is wonderful.
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #5836 - Posted 2018-01-02 23:04:34 »

Got a new vaporizer mod today and decided to mess around with the firmware. Successfully REd a bit of the bin file before realizing the device uses the same chip as a company called eVic's devices. There's already firmware decryption scripts and a SDK available! That made a lot of things easier. So now I've got some custom firmware I wrote running on my mod which is pretty dang cool if you ask me.

And what did I do with all that work and potential? Displayed a dickbutt as my save screen. I suppose I still have some maturing to do.
Offline Oskuro

JGO Ninja

Medals: 77
Exp: 10 years

Coding in Style

« Reply #5837 - Posted 2018-01-03 13:37:12 »

Managed to fix the procedural map generator (based on someone else's dungeon generator) so it works on my framework.

Also made it so I can load tile maps from images, reading tile data from the pixel's color information.

It's all very basic, but at the pace I'm going with this project, it seems like a big improvement.  Roll Eyes

Details here.

Offline dime26

JGO Ninja

Medals: 64
Projects: 7
Exp: 12 years

Should traffic wardens be armed?

« Reply #5838 - Posted 2018-01-04 03:19:23 »

Started learning how to make games in HTML5 / JS. I have a simple island and a box you can move about, implemented some basic collisions. Would like to make a simple browser game for Ludum Dare so have some time to learn enough before the next one.

Test game here:

Trying to do more Pixel Dailies this year, todays was black hole
Offline h.pernpeintner

JGO Knight

Medals: 81

« Reply #5839 - Posted 2018-01-04 22:53:37 »

Added frustum culling to my GPU culling mechanism and finally implemented the necessary bits to cull with a given debug camera instead of the active one (as you can't shouldn't see the effect of culling from the current main camera xD). Finally a video:

The culling is done on a per instance basis with an AABB. The render pipeline is only fed some drawcommands. A two dimensional vertex shader kernel is launched with an invocation per instance. Frustum and highz map is tested for every object, and a bit is set in a visibility buffer for every instance. Another kernel is launched that uses the visiblity info buffer to append entity data (transform, material, animationstate etc) to a structured buffer. Also the new drawcommands are appended to a command buffer. The pipeline is now pretty much self-feeding, so nearly no CPU interaction here any more at all. More information about how to implement this could probably follow if I find time to write a blog post and create a thread for it.... and if some of you are interested of course Tongue
I'll switch to compute shaders as soon as I get around a i-think-it's-a-bug, because atomicAdd is my bottleneck currently.
HINT: Occlusion culling is deactivated in this video, although the button says "occlusion". It's just frustum culling here.
Offline KaiHH

JGO Kernel

Medals: 501

« Reply #5840 - Posted 2018-01-05 19:35:22 »

Added another optimization to JOML's matrix classes to accelerate invert() and normal() calls. JOML already has plenty of "intelligent"/conservative tracking of the properties of a matrix stored in a byte bitset as the user calls operations/methods on it. Many operations already benefit from it, most notably whether the matrix is affine (preserved by all operations except perspective() and frustum()). Those optimizations are benefitial in typcal usage scenarios found in most applications. Now, it is tracked whether the matrix still is affine _and_ its upper-left 3x3 submatrix orthogonal (preserved by all operations also preserving affinity except anything that applies scaling), in order to accelerate invert() (and normal() to compute a normal matrix) calls.
Runtimes (measured with JMH) of Matrix4f.invert() based on properties of the matrix:

Arbitrary matrix: 22.42 ns.
Affine matrix:    12.64 ns.
Orthogonal matrix: 4.66 ns.  <-- this is new
Identity matrix:   0.46 ns.
Offline Sickan
« Reply #5841 - Posted 2018-01-07 13:42:41 »

Getting used to JavaScript. Deployment is as simple as pushing to GitHub. Dynamic typing is nice except when debugging. Testing with Jest is easy and fast. NPM and Webpack makes CSS and JS bearable. All in all, it's a very good fit for casual games.
Offline h.pernpeintner

JGO Knight

Medals: 81

« Reply #5842 - Posted 2018-01-09 22:20:13 »

@KaiHH: Thank you very much for doing the work all of us benefit from Smiley

I added the final bits to show the occlusing culling mechanism with debug camera to my engine:
Normally, one can use the main passe's last frame depth buffer to cull against, but if the depth buffer to cull against is different (because the cull camera is the debug camera...), one has to do an extra depth prepass, that sucks performance of course. As before, there are 20k hellknights in the scene. I have to admit that frustum culling is significantly more important than occlusion culling, at least in this scene.
Offline Sickan
« Reply #5843 - Posted 2018-01-10 02:39:40 »

Yesterday I implemented a sprite batch in WebGL and today I published it as my first NPM library. There's now a spritebatch package on NPM containing a simple LibGDX-style sprite batch Grin
Offline Damocles
« Reply #5844 - Posted 2018-01-13 22:39:26 »

Testing out some materials on placeholder models

Offline CJC

Junior Devvie

Medals: 11
Exp: 7 years

Just press buttons until it works.

« Reply #5845 - Posted 2018-01-23 11:03:24 »

Got inspired by luna-lang and visual programming languages, and I wanted to make a mock visual editor (in JS). I can add nodes, give them names and values, move them around (they snap to a grid), I can delete them, and I can move the "camera" around the screen.

No screenshots yet cause there's not much there, but I'm happy with it so far. Cheesy

Next up is to have them save somehow...
Offline philfrei
« Reply #5846 - Posted 2018-01-25 19:48:05 »

Last night, somewhat nervously showed off some of my Java audio to a Meetup group (Kinetech Arts, a group of dancers and techies interested in collaboration). Response was pretty enthusiastic. A favorite was the Shepard Chord, and the group did an improv with me running several Shepard Chords as sound accompaniment.

Coolest thing: several of the members are very strong developers, for example, working in data visualization field and with web coding. They are motivated to help with getting data from dancers (with wearable devices that track positions of hands/feet/etc, or even if just carrying phones) to my applications so that the applications can alter the sound output in response. When I was coding these Java tools to be on a scale that allows them to be responsive to "game state" I definitely had in mind the goal that could also be used live with incoming data streams as well, and was hoping some sort of collaboration like this would be possible.

It was a gamble, trying to focus on coding good sounds and leaving interconnection issues for later. One person only has so much bandwidth. Glad/relieved to find that others with complementary/needed skills are motivated to collaborate.

The day had some good coding results as well. I continue the long slog to make an application called "Tone Circle Drone" ready for commercial release. One of the issues has been trying to manage a JDialog/JPanel popup written for "Options" handling. Slowly, I had been figuring out how to deal with its position (keeping it relative to the main application when main was being dragged), and with not remaining "on top" when leaving app to look at web browser. The last straw was when I realized that the popup had its own slot in the Windows "Alt-Tab" list of running applications. At this point, I remembered the "CardLayout" and recoded the Options panel as a "card" that appears over the Main panel "card".

All behavior problems solved. Lots of code discarded(e.g., WindowListener, ComponentListener no longer needed). That combination is one of the most satisfying to have as a coder.

music and music apps:
Offline Damocles
« Reply #5847 - Posted 2018-01-27 23:08:11 »

Adding some Mockup Effects.

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #5848 - Posted 2018-01-28 06:26:34 »

Last night, somewhat nervously showed off some of my Java audio to a Meetup group (Kinetech Arts, a group of dancers and techies interested in collaboration)....
Coolest thing: several of the members are very strong developers, for example, working in data visualization field and with web coding...One person only has so much bandwidth. Glad/relieved to find that others with complementary/needed skills are motivated to collaborate.
It's a great feeling when you find people interested in the same projects. I remember my euphoria when I participated in a game jam. It was so exciting to meet all these ambitious amateurs and experts. One thing I quickly realised when people started making groups in the first few hours is that each has their own 'preferred habitat' of programming language and tools and either you or the other person needs to compromise to make collaboration a possibility.

Offline br0ken_m1nd

Junior Devvie

Medals: 7
Projects: 1

« Reply #5849 - Posted 2018-02-01 04:15:04 »

I've worked a bit more on my Tetris Clone for Android. Almost finished...
I guess this one was good to go back to game dev after one year of doing nothing..  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 198
  ignore  |  Print  

ivj94 (10 views)
2018-03-24 14:47:39

ivj94 (7 views)
2018-03-24 14:46:31

ivj94 (9 views)
2018-03-24 14:43:53

Solater (20 views)
2018-03-17 05:04:08

nelsongames (40 views)
2018-03-05 17:56:34

Gornova (44 views)
2018-03-02 22:15:33

buddyBro (176 views)
2018-02-28 16:59:18

buddyBro (64 views)
2018-02-28 16:45:17

xxMrPHDxx (470 views)
2017-12-31 17:17:51

xxMrPHDxx (142 views)
2017-12-31 17:15:51
Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:38:37

Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:37:39

Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:36:10

Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2017-12-05 19:33:10

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:05:44

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:04:45

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:45:19

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:44:05 is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑