What I did today  (Read 2030465 times)
Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Medals: 356
Projects: 7

Make code not war!

« Reply #4650 - Posted 2016-08-20 11:21:52 »

Alright, a ton of things have happened.
First off, I made the SW engine used deferred rendering.
Second, with the help of TheAgentD, I was able to multithread this so that it runs faster.
Third, added spotlights to lightmaps Smiley

What sort of performance boost do you get from multithreading?

Offline kingroka123
« Reply #4651 - Posted 2016-08-20 13:01:24 »

I moved into my college dorm two days ago  Grin. I've already met a bunch of other computer engineering majors. I am so excited to start the year!
Offline Archive
« Reply #4652 - Posted 2016-08-20 16:24:05 »

What sort of performance boost do you get from multithreading?
Overall it made the engine run MUCH smoother. The fps is way more stable now. One part of the scene that ran previously at 23 fps runs at 35 now Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline orange451

JGO Kernel

Medals: 346
Projects: 6
Exp: 6 years

Your face. Your ass. What's the difference?

« Reply #4653 - Posted 2016-08-20 16:45:19 »

I've already met a bunch of other computer engineering majors.
I loathe meeting some computer engineer majors. They wear edgy tshirts to let people know they're into coding, and they have absolutely no coding experience. Some think they know java after just barely passing the required Java 1 and 2 classes.  Undecided
Probably because I go to Georgia Southern, instead of Georgia Tech Pointing

First Recon. A java made online first person shooter!
Offline Ecumene

JGO Kernel

Medals: 195
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

I did not hit her! I did not!

« Reply #4654 - Posted 2016-08-20 19:10:35 »

They wear edgy tshirts to let people know they're into coding, and they have absolutely no coding experience. Some think they know java

Also, there was this guy in my school wearing a "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" shirt, he explained to me "It's some computer thing, I think"

Offline kingroka123
« Reply #4655 - Posted 2016-08-21 00:00:52 »

I loathe meeting some computer engineer majors. They wear edgy tshirts to let people know they're into coding, and they have absolutely no coding experience. Some think they know java after just barely passing the required Java 1 and 2 classes.  Undecided

Thankfully the people I have met are like that.( I'm at Mercer)
Offline philfrei
« Reply #4656 - Posted 2016-08-21 20:08:47 »

Young barista at the coffee shop where I often do my morning coding wants to "learn everything there is to know" about game coding. Shades of Dunning-Kruger! He is very much into playing games, and looking at saving up to attend some tech school specifically for game coding. I tried to suggest a decent community college (more affordable) and free online courses of study (e.g., w3.org tutorials) while he is saving up money to start the private college. Also, the importance of a strong math background.

But he seems mesmerized by the promise of the private school to help graduates find actual work in the industry. He is a nice fellow and was polite, but I think pretty set on his plan and is putting me into a old fogey category of unsolicited advice giving. I assume that as he starts to learn more about programming, he'll get a better concept of just how big the field is and the impossibility of "knowing everything there is to know", and also that there are decent strategies for various degrees of specialization.I don't know if anyone "gets" that trade schools generally fall short with "placement" promises until they actually experience this for themselves.

Just saw DVD of "The Big Short". Highly recommended. I identify (more Dunning-Kruger, but on my part?) with the fellows that are sticking to their long shot strategies despite people telling them they are crazy, in my going all-in on Java procedural audio. I don't expect a huge payout, but advancing my capabilities with it still seems like it could lead to something real.

music and music apps: http://adonax.com
Offline Icecore
« Reply #4657 - Posted 2016-08-21 20:18:32 »

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
Ou  Sad, i thought 127.0.0.1 is my Home  Tongue

Last known State: Reassembled in Cyberspace
End Transmission....
Offline Archive
« Reply #4658 - Posted 2016-08-22 01:22:25 »

Strangely, it appears that setting the title on a Frame makes the cursor revert to the default cursor. Shocked??

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 506
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #4659 - Posted 2016-08-22 04:11:36 »

Yeah your first mistake was going to Southern instead of Tech. Are you hoping to transfer over?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Ecumene

JGO Kernel

Medals: 195
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

I did not hit her! I did not!

« Reply #4660 - Posted 2016-08-22 15:25:34 »

I've nearly finished the Questica website, here's a preview!

Offline SHC
« Reply #4661 - Posted 2016-08-22 17:21:06 »

Found this in Windows Store today.

What is this Microsoft? How is it possible? Are you injecting something else into my system?  Huh

Offline VaTTeRGeR
« Reply #4662 - Posted 2016-08-22 18:53:18 »

@SHC
And it wouldn't be Microsoft if the loading bar wasn't at 20% while the dl-size is at 104% and the downspeed isn't even shown  Grin
Offline orange451

JGO Kernel

Medals: 346
Projects: 6

Your face. Your ass. What's the difference?

« Reply #4663 - Posted 2016-08-22 20:55:47 »

Yeah your first mistake was going to Southern instead of Tech. Are you hoping to transfer over?
Was thinking about it, but it's far cheaper here.

First Recon. A java made online first person shooter!
Offline lcass
« Reply #4664 - Posted 2016-08-22 21:31:18 »

Started rewriting my entire graphics engine , to be perfectly honest the previous one was pretty shoddy now looking at it. For the things I wanted to do it had too much overhead and required lots of micromanagement by the above programs. I have designed my new one to be much simpler to use with the core graphics handler class dealing directly with the openGL side of things and the renderer class dealing with with the graphics handler , interactions between world objects and the conversion of world coordinates to screen coordinates all with minimal input from the higher level classes. It has limitations in that it will only render squares ( tile based game so it doesn't make too much difference to the total function ) , the renderer can handle a maximum number of objects before it just starts declining them however this will always be precalculated by the world so that if it does happen something has probably gone wrong. All of the graphics handler is extendable up to the limit of the system though so it should work just fine for that , it's also made so that all my previous code will not require too much modification and if anything should become a lot simpler than previous especially in terms of memory efficiency which was my previous issue.

The graphics handler is the only class that will deal with floatbuffers and because of this memory leaks will hopefully be non existant , this class also directly deal with all of the vbo's and because of this no other classes are required to have a cleanup method.
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #4665 - Posted 2016-08-23 02:40:30 »

Learning raymarching again as when I first messed with it I didn't bother to go through and understand the math - it's really fun. I like math. I managed to implement hard shadows and reflections by myself (although they're both a little off and not exactly correct). It looks decent at least imo. But I doubt the lighting is anywhere near accurate.

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/llcGDB

And I've got to share this, I think my therapist and I found good meds for me and I'm feeling really really great, haven't felt this happy in years. Life is going really well now. I feel happy and good about things, being really optimistic which was becoming too irregular. Smiley
Offline philfrei
« Reply #4666 - Posted 2016-08-23 21:20:59 »

Started rewriting my entire graphics engine , to be perfectly honest the previous one was pretty shoddy now looking at it...
It is so much better to have tried, and learned from the process, than done nothing at all.

Offline Brynn

JGO Wizard

Medals: 103
Projects: 3
Exp: 1 month or less

JGO's Spiffy Duchess

« Reply #4667 - Posted 2016-08-23 21:29:47 »

this really made my gpu rev

Welcome to a new kind of tension
All across the alienation
Where everything isn't meant to be okay
Offline lcass
« Reply #4668 - Posted 2016-08-23 21:32:53 »

Started rewriting my entire graphics engine , to be perfectly honest the previous one was pretty shoddy now looking at it...
It is so much better to have tried, and learned from the process, than done nothing at all.
And then try again and fail because you can't write GLSL XD.
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #4669 - Posted 2016-08-23 22:09:25 »

Ahah I'm not surprised, it's terribly inefficient code! All for the learning
Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Make code not war!

« Reply #4670 - Posted 2016-08-24 10:45:50 »

To resolve some sound smoothness issues in Vangard I did some analysis of the times logic frames are taking. On average they take 20ms on my laptop with a target of 30fps, so the frame times looked ok. However I then counted the logic frames for each logic frame duration and found that although the vast majority were 16ms or less, 10% of the frames were over 33ms, so the CPU was spending a lot of time at full utilization on all cores.

I don't know how solveable the issue is. some of the spikes are probably due to my code, GC and so on, but sometimes the PC just has to do other stuff and with the CPU almost fully utilized by the game only bad things can happen.

For now i have simply provided a parameter to control world size. My laptop seems happy with 36km2, while I guess my fancy desktop can handle the original 100km2.

Offline theagentd
« Reply #4671 - Posted 2016-08-24 13:29:25 »

Did two major things today.

First I wrote a small Blender plugin for exporting meshes as files for our engine. It's not complete yet, but is fully usable with static (unanimated) meshes so far.

Secondly, I finally, after something like 2 years, managed to get perfect normal mapping working. When I initially researched normal mapping a long time ago, I settled with the algorithm that was the easiest to implement. I found a super convenient algorithm that didn't require tangents or bitangents, so I went with that. However, there were always some subtle problems. For handmade normal maps that were just made to add details/unevenness to the normal it worked well, but for baked normal maps (normal maps generated from a high-poly model applied to a low-poly model) it didn't give good results because those baked normal maps relied on the engine doing the exact same calculations as the generator did. As a test model, I used a simple cube with smoothed normals (as if it was a sphere essentially) which had a normal map applied to it to make the flat areas, well, flat while keeping some smoothing around the edges of the cube. This was one of the worst cast scenarios, as it relied on that the gradients in the normal map exactly cancelled out the smoothed normals. Even an extremely tiny error there was enough to cause a high-specular surface to look wobbly and uneven.

Here's the cube without a normal map:

Here's the cube with a baked normal map using the old tangent-less algorithm:

Here's the cube with the same normal map using the new correct algorithm:

Ehhhh let's just call it a slight improvement, shall we?

Myomyomyo.
Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

Medals: 516

« Reply #4672 - Posted 2016-08-24 13:32:21 »

Speaking of normals.  http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/blending-in-detail/
Offline SHC
« Reply #4673 - Posted 2016-08-24 19:05:56 »

Got a 3D low-poly character with an armature! Built it in 20 minutes initially, but it took 3 days for the weights to be properly applied.

Offline KudoDEV

JGO Ninja

Medals: 79

Game Dev Hobbyist

« Reply #4674 - Posted 2016-08-24 20:16:29 »

Got a 3D low-poly character with an armature! Built it in 20 minutes initially, but it took 3 days for the weights to be properly applied.

If you're using Blender you should check out rigify for humanoid models.

As for what I did today: I finally got around to implementing a entity system and it works with my physics engine!

Also, I changed from my own math lib to JOML. This took FOREVER, and I'm still not completely done.

Offline lcass
« Reply #4675 - Posted 2016-08-24 22:44:05 »

Got my new renderer working and my god it is so much simpler to use , GUI's and stuff are still a *bit* of a challenge requiring a seperate set of buffer storage. It would be great to know how people usually handle modular layering.
Offline philfrei
« Reply #4676 - Posted 2016-08-25 04:51:39 »

I got some good debugging done for something I'm calling an "Allenspace Sound Generator". It makes a continuous, spacey collection of sine waves, with some controls for the generation rate, the envelopes, the number of tones per cluster and basic pitch spread and pan spread. There is also a weird gizmo called a "flibber" which basically intermixes tracks rather than mixing them. This gizmo was an attempt to recreate a faulty version made unintentionally that had some bizarre multi-threading issues and is very glitchy sounding.

At this point the GUI is totally placeholder, making use of a single slider tool that only shows a label and outputs a normal (0..1). AND IT HAS NOT BEEN GIVEN MUCH TESTING and will crash (turn non-functional) if you just hit "Start" without moving ALL the sliders first. If you want to give it a try, I recommend first putting all the sliders near the middle and working from there. Or wait until I figure out a reasonable GUI.
GUI is now more informative if not particularly friendly. Now has reasonable initial settings so can just hit play and get something. One highly intermittent known bug remains, though.

http://www.java-gaming.org/user-generated-content/members/27722/allenspace.jar

I am a bit fried and will give it the GUI more work as a side priority over the next week or two, probably. It potentially could also be run from the jar via an api, if you have a need for some spacey atmospherics.

Sounds pretty cool: get two running at the same time, and have one "flibber" and the other straight. I want to expose some controls over the "flibber" parameters, and investigate adding various forms of lfo modulation to the sines.

Did some research on freesound.org, for rain and wind-in-trees, for candidates effects to use in Vangard. I think I have found a couple improvements over the first wind-in-trees attempt. In the next while, I'll be expanding the api to allow ags1 to directly trigger audio events that are part of the sound-scapes. Right now she can only manipulate the volumes, not the trigger events or control the stochastic timing algos. A future api will allow the ability to control the stochastic timings as well. For the first pass (built over the last few weeks), I just wanted to get something that would work, sound decent, and could be a placeholder for a while. (The jar is 1MB and runs solo at about 1% cpu on my PC.)

So what I really wanted to get to today was this:

> downloaded LWJGL
> set up a project in Eclipse
> got the red block "HelloWorld" program to run (with some fussing, trying to figure out what they meant when referring to "your natives" and how to specify launch arguments which I hadn't done before)

The hello world program didn't run on my laptop (GLFW_API_UNAVAILABLE error. but it IS running on my desktop. Yay!

Also gathered up locations of documents for study including an example of audio playback via OpenAL. The goal is to be able to output my audio over OpenAL, via LWJGL.

Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Make code not war!

« Reply #4677 - Posted 2016-08-25 17:13:26 »

I've spent the last couple of lunchtimes building up a little village generator:

https://www.jdoodle.com/a/13E

Currently it builds a grid, puts down some random trees and one instance of each building type, and then adds random roads. Next steps are add more organized town planning and then connect up the roads.

Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #4678 - Posted 2016-08-25 21:36:01 »

Are we allowed to talk about modeling shenanigans? I learned to model about three weeks ago, here's my third model for me and theagentd's secret project we'll be unveiling soon (it's almost finished!). I think it came out cool.

I actually made his aforementioned patented TESTCUBEâ„¢ for his normal tests too. Since I learned to model, we've been a lot more robust and faster with our developments.

it just werks
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #4679 - Posted 2016-08-26 00:11:27 »

I got some good debugging done for something I'm calling an "Allanspace Sound Generator". It makes a continuous, spacey collection of sine waves, with some controls for the generation rate, ...

That sounds really neat, I've been wanting to get into audio for a little while now. I've always wondered, how do you take the audio data you generate and actually use it and output a sound? Is there something in the Java SDK that allows you to create sound from custom data?
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 194
  ignore  |  Print  

Ecumene (110 views)
2017-09-30 02:57:34

theagentd (144 views)
2017-09-26 18:23:31

cybrmynd (245 views)
2017-08-02 12:28:51

cybrmynd (241 views)
2017-08-02 12:19:43

cybrmynd (240 views)
2017-08-02 12:18:09

Sralse (254 views)
2017-07-25 17:13:48

Archive (872 views)
2017-04-27 17:45:51

buddyBro (1016 views)
2017-04-05 03:38:00

CopyableCougar4 (1573 views)
2017-03-24 15:39:42

theagentd (1373 views)
2017-03-24 15:32:08
List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:05:44

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:04:45

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:45:19

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:44:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:56

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:32

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:37:51
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org