What I did today  (Read 3663743 times)
Offline SauronWatchesYou

JGO Ninja

Medals: 33
Projects: 4
Exp: 2 years

Hi there! :)

« Reply #2190 - Posted 2015-05-27 00:05:01 »

Today I implemented collision detection, created some art and fixed up the lighting Pointing

(Ignore the UFO Tongue)

Hey, you! Back to work
Offline Opiop
« Reply #2191 - Posted 2015-05-27 00:33:28 »

Well today I encountered the business side of software development. Let me break it down:

Pro's
------------
- Have my own desk
- Two monitors with a 16GB RAM box
- Comfy chair
- Nice people around the space I work
- Get to learn about other API's and languages

Cons
--------------
- Had to wait 3 hours for someone to "teach" me how to use a web browser (show me how to enable the bookmark bar etc...) because tech support must think all our programmers are dummies. During those 3 hours I had nothing to do but stare at my cream colored cubicle wall.
- Dirty keyboard from past code warriors

Overall though, I had a great time and I'm actually excited to go back for more tomorrow. I'm currently forcing myself to wade into the wide world of web services, so Tomcat and jax-ws are my best friends right now. Some time next week .NET is going to replace my best friends and we'll also have fun!
Offline chrislo27
« Reply #2192 - Posted 2015-05-27 02:10:41 »

... fixed up the lighting Pointing

That lighting looks really great compared with before! I'm guessing you decided to use lightmaps and blending instead of shading each tile?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SauronWatchesYou

JGO Ninja

« Reply #2193 - Posted 2015-05-27 08:03:17 »

That lighting looks really great compared with before! I'm guessing you decided to use lightmaps and blending instead of shading each tile?

It's actually Box2DLighting xD (which I believe uses lightmaps) but I was reading that I can do lightmaps without shaders?! And the right blending so I'm looking into that so I can build my own Smiley

Hey, you! Back to work
Offline Opiop
« Reply #2194 - Posted 2015-05-27 13:09:02 »

It's actually Box2DLighting xD (which I believe uses lightmaps) but I was reading that I can do lightmaps without shaders?! And the right blending so I'm looking into that so I can build my own Smiley
It looks pretty good either way, nice job! Also, the UFO is a definite keeper. Looks pretty cool Wink
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 319
Projects: 25
Exp: 22 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #2195 - Posted 2015-05-27 13:17:37 »

Still playing with voxel rendering:

Click to Play

Colour artefacts caused by GIF encoding. Sad

Cheers,

Kev

Offline SauronWatchesYou

JGO Ninja

« Reply #2196 - Posted 2015-05-27 14:23:35 »

It looks pretty good either way, nice job! Also, the UFO is a definite keeper. Looks pretty cool Wink

Haha thanks, just feels a little 'cheaty' but lighting is a little above me head. I don't even know what the frame buffer does o.o

That UFO is from my previous game actually Cheesy haha

Hey, you! Back to work
Offline Opiop
« Reply #2197 - Posted 2015-05-27 19:20:58 »

I finally understand how complex it is to access a SQL server from Java. I've been sitting here for at least an hour now trying to get the damn JDBC driver to work.

Blah.
Offline CopyableCougar4
« Reply #2198 - Posted 2015-05-27 19:25:45 »

opiop65: If you want to peek around, here is the foundation of a small SQL API I wrote for myself a few months ago. http://pastebin.java-gaming.org/45f6111852916

Either wandering the forum or programming. Most likely the latter Smiley

Github: http://github.com/CopyableCougar4
Offline Opiop
« Reply #2199 - Posted 2015-05-27 19:45:24 »

CopyableCougar4: Thanks for that, I've actually already written all of that functionality but the issue is somewhere on the network where I can't connect to the SQL server. It keeps kicking back "Connection refused: connect" which drives me crazy because I can use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to connect with the server with my credentials, but somewhere along the line my code is doing something wrong, or the server is refusing to interface with my code or something... I don't know. 
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SauronWatchesYou

JGO Ninja

« Reply #2200 - Posted 2015-05-27 21:26:33 »

Today I worked on getting the walking animation done as well as the idle stuff. Worked on some pixel art and started coding in the inventory system Pointing

The player sprite was made with this really cool online tool! Credit: http://gaurav.munjal.us/Universal-LPC-Spritesheet-Character-Generator/#

Hey, you! Back to work
Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Medals: 367
Projects: 7

Make code not war!

« Reply #2201 - Posted 2015-05-27 22:03:02 »

I finally understand how complex it is to access a SQL server from Java. I've been sitting here for at least an hour now trying to get the damn JDBC driver to work.

Blah.

Only one hour? So it's goiing pretty well then!

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1371
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #2202 - Posted 2015-05-27 22:18:06 »

You haven't scratched the surface once it works. Especially the MySQL JDBC library is critically bugged and so far off the spec it's funny.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline Opiop
« Reply #2203 - Posted 2015-05-27 22:18:24 »

Well, the issue is that my boss didn't give me the address to the DB when he gave me the project and then proceeded to disappear for the next two hours. He's a very hands off guy when it comes to projects, which is actually pretty cool because I feel I learn a lot more when I have to fend for myself. However, I can't just magically figure out what that DB address is. Oh well, my boss informed me that he's going to probably have me use some in-house solution to connect to the SQL server anyway, so that will be fun to implement tomorrow.

In the mean time I've been learning about ASP.NET which is actually pretty fun and simple. Granted, my UI is just a series of text boxes and labels, but still.

Oh, my uncle also gave me an R9 280x because he had too many GPUs laying around, so I have a new toy to play with! Smiley

Riven: How so? I've yet to be able to actually do much with it, so I have no idea what I'm getting in to.
Offline kingroka123
« Reply #2204 - Posted 2015-05-27 22:39:20 »

I did some work on the Arena  Grin and got a new high score ->
Online Spasi
« Reply #2205 - Posted 2015-05-27 22:56:56 »

I did this a few weeks ago, but it's relevant: I added ODBC bindings to a LWJGL 3 fork. Worst-case latency dropped by 10x compared to JDBC (highly optimized app on both ends, with minimal network overhead, so ymmv), there is no unnecessary garbage (query results stored off-heap) and you get actual async queries without spawning extra threads.

JDBC is yet another simplistic Java API that's good at burning CPU cycles and wasting memory bandwidth for no good reason.

Especially the MySQL JDBC library is critically bugged and so far off the spec it's funny.

I hate that LWJGL needs to exist, that the JVM does not have a native FFI. Writing bindings is painful and takes a lot of precious time, all for doing... nothing really. But I was motivated after decompiling the JDBC driver we use and seeing the horrors that laid inside. Bad API and bad implementations and everyone's using this shit.
Offline Icecore
« Reply #2206 - Posted 2015-05-27 23:12:05 »

JVM does not have a native FFI.
Do you try JNA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Native_Access ?

after decompiling the JDBC driver we use and seeing the horrors that laid inside. Bad API and bad implementations and everyone's using this shit.

no words, only sad  Sad

Last known State: Reassembled in Cyberspace
End Transmission....
Journey began Now)
Offline gzuzboey
« Reply #2207 - Posted 2015-05-28 04:14:47 »

Just spent almost the day playing retro-pixel castles. I havent been that attached to a game since Minecraft. This game is yet another java masterpiece.  Grin Keep up the good work ray!

YA BOI
Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

Medals: 518

« Reply #2208 - Posted 2015-05-28 05:28:46 »

On FFI - anyone paying attention to how this is going? http://openjdk.java.net/projects/panama/
Offline Phased
« Reply #2209 - Posted 2015-05-28 06:08:59 »

You haven't scratched the surface once it works. Especially the MySQL JDBC library is critically bugged and so far off the spec it's funny.

I managed to find no bugs in JDBC connecting to MySQL.

Though, my program was not complex, but I had all of JDBC up and running in about 30 mins, though I did have one problem, but I think that was my own mistake in writing the SQL code for creating a user, a created user wasn't able to see the database I created (I thought i granted all permissions for the database to the user). But it worked fine when I used root instead.

EDIT:

I did notice a flaw with MySQL Command Line, and MySQL Workbench though, as we had to swap implementations with another group.

I used the Command Line, and wrote my SQL scripts in Notepad++, where the other group used MySQL Workbench.

MySQL Command Line will let you go with some errors, where Workbench is really strict.

E.g.

If you use Timestamp as a data type in MySQL, Workbench requires a default date, where the Command line does not require you to specify the default date.

So we had an issue where they didn't want to use the Command Line to avoid the error, so they edited the SQL script. well, 1 out of the 3 people in there group didn't want to use the Command Line.

It was really only query the database, as full implementation of our designed system would of taken longer then we had, as well as all the test cases and other various testing we need to do.

It was only a uni assignment, so I left it as root access, because we had to supply the .java files to allow others to modify the username, password and IP of the database if required.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1146
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2210 - Posted 2015-05-28 07:44:37 »

Never had a problem with JDBC per se, just like OpenGL, it's all down to the quality of the drivers. MySQL is an utter heap anyway so you'd probably just be getting what you deserve for using it Smiley jTDS with MSSQLServer is reasonably good, and the PostgreSQL JDBC drivers have so far proven reliable. CPU cycles are rarely anything anyone needs to be concerned about concerning JDBC as the bottleneck is always somewhere else that you have no control over.

FWIW I use to use ODBC years and years ago in another life and ... it's not really significantly better than JDBC quite often, and of course, it's Windows only and impossible to debug when it does go wrong...

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2211 - Posted 2015-05-28 07:47:30 »

Another small tangent: last year I tried using HSQLDB (as a separate server process in a multi-user environment) pretty extensively. It was blindingly fast and really quite pleasant to use, right up until the point the HSQLDB serverside connection threads would hang forever in what looked very much like a race condition, rendering it useless. The author (Fred Toussi) seems remarkably slippery in acknowledging there's any problem at all so rather than pester him to fix it I gave up and moved to Postgres, which is just awesome.

Cas Smiley

Online Spasi
« Reply #2212 - Posted 2015-05-28 08:11:08 »

On FFI - anyone paying attention to how this is going? http://openjdk.java.net/projects/panama/

They're working on a Layout Descriptor Language.
Online Spasi
« Reply #2213 - Posted 2015-05-28 08:37:39 »

CPU cycles are rarely anything anyone needs to be concerned about concerning JDBC as the bottleneck is always somewhere else that you have no control over.

The problem is not burning CPU cycles to do useful work. The problem is wasting CPU cycles on cache misses, garbage collections and unnecessary thread synchronization. We're not in the 00's anymore; multi-gigabit network connections, in-memory databases, SSDs, everything is now at a microsecond level and you can't do anything with JDBC without millisecond spikes.

FWIW I use to use ODBC years and years ago in another life and ... it's not really significantly better than JDBC quite often, and of course, it's Windows only and impossible to debug when it does go wrong...

There are ODBC drivers on Linux, even for SQL Server. API-wise, obviously it's harder to use than JDBC, but can easily be wrapped in a Java-friendly way.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2214 - Posted 2015-05-28 08:40:54 »

Ah, it's moved on to Linux in the intervening years then, though I can't help but think that
but can easily be wrapped in a Java-friendly way
is slightly at odds with your previous assertion that wrapping is perhaps a tedious effort Smiley

Cas Smiley

Online Spasi
« Reply #2215 - Posted 2015-05-28 09:05:38 »

Do you mean what I said above about the bindings? That's tedious indeed. Once the bindings are in place though, wrapping the raw API in something higher level is simple. Then you can use it easily without having to worry about pointers and buffers and low-level details, like we do with OpenGL.
Offline Gibbo3771

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 5
Exp: 1 year

Currently inactive on forums :(

« Reply #2216 - Posted 2015-05-28 10:59:27 »

Trying to find a girlfriend apparently:

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline DarkCart

JGO Kernel

Medals: 124
Projects: 9
Exp: 50 years

It's all in the mind, y'know.

« Reply #2217 - Posted 2015-05-28 11:00:22 »

Trying to find a girlfriend apparently:

I'm glad I'm not the only ones seeing these things

The darkest of carts.
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1371
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #2218 - Posted 2015-05-28 15:45:23 »

Hmm, it's a Google AdSense ad, so I cannot report it to ProjectWonderful, as is. Emo

The previously reported (by you) ads have been reported (by me) to ProjectWonderful and those advertisers have been banned/punished/murdered in quick succession, as per my request.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Medals: 367
Projects: 7

Make code not war!

« Reply #2219 - Posted 2015-05-28 16:28:05 »

I discovered there are online sevices to 3D print in stainless steel, so I did some tutorials on modelling for 3D printing. I am going to print the small high -strain parts of my telecope build, rather than relying on my ropey woodworking skills.

On the game front I conceptualized stuff for my mediaeval fantasy simulator.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 216
  ignore  |  Print  

Riven (578 views)
2019-09-04 15:33:17

hadezbladez (5496 views)
2018-11-16 13:46:03

hadezbladez (2398 views)
2018-11-16 13:41:33

hadezbladez (5756 views)
2018-11-16 13:35:35

hadezbladez (1219 views)
2018-11-16 13:32:03

EgonOlsen (4659 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (5678 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (3193 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (4093 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (5111 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36
A NON-ideal modular configuration for Eclipse with JavaFX
by philfrei
2019-12-19 19:35:12

Java Gaming Resources
by philfrei
2019-05-14 16:15:13

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:15:36

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-05-08 15:13:34

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2019-02-17 20:25:53

Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org