games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (854)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 205
  ignore  |  Print  
  What I did today  (Read 2841357 times)
CommanderKeith and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1356
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1800 - Posted 2015-02-24 13:55:37 »

Does the FPS counter (or the callsite) create/modify textures to render the (ever changing) chars?

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline ziozio
« Reply #1801 - Posted 2015-02-24 14:10:20 »

No textures are created (texture coordinates change though), but you could be on to something here

I won't take up any more space here, I thought it was something worthy of posting here Smiley turns out it probably isn't and is something subtle somewhere else.
Offline Ecumene

JGO Kernel

Medals: 197
Exp: 8 years

I did not hit her! I did not!

« Reply #1802 - Posted 2015-02-24 16:01:44 »

Worked 3 hours straight on a project for english class (a fully fleshed fake news website with bootstrap). Zipped it, and copied it to my flash drive, corrupted somehow while it was in my pocket... Now I'm screwed.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Opiop
« Reply #1803 - Posted 2015-02-24 16:38:44 »

Played at a Battle of the Bands at The Agora in Cleveland. Technically it was two days ago, but oh well!
Offline basil_

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 418
Exp: 13 years

« Reply #1804 - Posted 2015-02-24 16:49:56 »

copied it to my flash drive, corrupted somehow while it was in my pocket... Now I'm screwed.
copied like not moved, you got a backup then ? no ? Shocked
Offline lcass
« Reply #1805 - Posted 2015-02-24 17:15:46 »

Vegitated and pondered the mysteries of life and er other stuff I would rather not....
Offline Ecumene

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1806 - Posted 2015-02-24 18:30:58 »

copied it to my flash drive, corrupted somehow while it was in my pocket... Now I'm screwed.
copied like not moved, you got a backup then ? no ? Shocked

Yup, on my main Windows machine. I wish I could SSH into it, but the school board blocked my website as malware... Dumb bastards.

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1356
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1807 - Posted 2015-02-24 18:47:36 »

I can break into your home or your server for you, whichever you prefer, but you have to choose.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 485
Exp: 7 years

« Reply #1808 - Posted 2015-02-24 19:45:08 »

Today I found possibly the best SO answer in existence. (maybe you've seen it before)

If you ever thought about parsing HTML with regexes, think again.
Offline Ecumene

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1809 - Posted 2015-02-24 20:58:14 »

I can break into your home or your server for you, whichever you prefer, but you have to choose.

wowowowowowowowow wait.

I meant it was on my windows machine. Which is sleeping. And I'm home from school now.
Also, what do you mean break in? Here's the site: http://www.ecumene.xyz/ (don't hold me ransom I don't have money)

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Drenius
« Reply #1810 - Posted 2015-02-24 21:24:20 »

(don't hold me ransom I don't have money)

Agree on that, tried it once, but he seems to really have nothing...

(Also now possibly not even a family anymore...)
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #1811 - Posted 2015-02-26 04:57:26 »

I added dynamic script map loading and also fixed dithering (thanks to pitbuller for his help!)
Now I have to code the actual editor instead of editing it externally, and add levels n stuff. It looks like the dithering thing is still there in the gif for some reason but it looks nice in real life.
Edit: Also got my 100th medal + Kernel! Cool!

Videogif
Offline theagentd
« Reply #1812 - Posted 2015-02-26 08:11:22 »

TL;DR:
 - Don't assume anything about the ordering of vertex attributes! Nvidia assigns them in the order they're defined, but AMD does not!
 - Make sure you set vertex attribute and uniform locations BEFORE linking the shader! This is a silent "error" as OpenGL expects you to relink the shaders to apply those settings.
 - If your shader only outputs a vec3 instead of all 4 color channels, Nvidia and AMD behave differently. Nvidia outputs 0.0 for the alpha value while AMD outputs 1.0.

Fixed two critical bugs that only affected AMD GPUs!

The first one was a bug in my particle rendering code, causing the particles to appear in random color (usually bright magenta) and have random size. The problem was the vertex attributes, but this problem was only visible on AMD GPUs. In essence I set the vertex attribute locations AFTER linking the shader, so they weren't being applied. AMD's GLSL compiler simply assigned different vertex attribute locations so it read the particle data incorrectly.

Secondly, another piece of useful information for the future! My SRAA was not working correctly on AMD card, and I tracked down the problem to my lighting code. In essence, SRAA works by rendering the scene twice. In the first pass the scene is rendered and lit as normal, but we also store a semi-unique triangle ID for each pixel. In the second pass, we render ONLY triangle IDs to a multisampled texture. In a resolve pass, the non-multisampled lighting result is "upsampled" to MSAA quality by matching triangle IDs. In practice, it's a lot more complicated as I use both the current and previous frames in the upsampling, but that's the basic idea.

Anyway, the point here was how the I stored the triangle ID in the first pass. I render and light the scene to a GL_RGBA16F render target, with accumulated light intensity stored in RGB and triangle ID stored in A, the alpha channel. During lighting, the shader only outputs an RGB color:
out vec3 fragColor;

In this case, Nvidia's shader compiler set alpha to 0.0, and since I was using additive blending this left the triangle ID unmodified. AMD's compiler however set alpha to 1.0, which corrupted the triangle IDs completely, leaving my SRAA resolve shader utterly confused.

Myomyomyo.
Offline Roquen

JGO Kernel

Medals: 517

« Reply #1813 - Posted 2015-02-26 08:55:57 »

Opps: http://envisage-project.eu/proving-android-java-and-python-sorting-algorithm-is-broken-and-how-to-fix-it/
Offline pitbuller
« Reply #1814 - Posted 2015-02-26 11:06:40 »

Anyway, the point here was how the I stored the triangle ID in the first pass. I render and light the scene to a GL_RGBA16F render target, with accumulated light intensity stored in RGB and triangle ID stored in A, the alpha channel. During lighting, the shader only outputs an RGB color:
out vec3 fragColor;

In this case, Nvidia's shader compiler set alpha to 0.0, and since I was using additive blending this left the triangle ID unmodified. AMD's compiler however set alpha to 1.0, which corrupted the triangle IDs completely, leaving my SRAA resolve shader utterly confused.

How about using color mask?
https://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man3/xhtml/glColorMask.xml
Offline theagentd
« Reply #1815 - Posted 2015-02-26 11:09:58 »

That would work too, of course.

Myomyomyo.
Offline Elsealabs
« Reply #1816 - Posted 2015-02-27 00:09:06 »

Got a new client today (web development), so that's pretty good! And in my other free time I've been working on a screenshot application in Java 8, just for fun/to learn design patterns/to learn lambdas. I am implementing an error handling system today and I don't really know how to go about doing it, so I just went at it. The classes are short, so if anyone could look over what I've started doing, and tell me if I'm headed in the right direction or not, that would be great. Here's the Error class, and the ErrorManager class. And here's a class where these Error objects are being used in practice.

Also, a cool Eclipse fun fact that I learned today, is that if you change the ( http://i.imgur.com/ZhIUHNy.png ) content assist auto triggers to ".abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz", the suggestion box will popup whenever you type, similar to other IDEs like Sublime Text. This has changed my programming speed in Eclipse dramatically.

Offline LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #1817 - Posted 2015-02-27 11:59:00 »

Here's a nasty [5mb] gif of my 2 new characters, the Miner and the HazMat guy. They can also now be ordered where to walk, although their path finding is not much more than walking in a straight line toward the target yet. Also I finally got rid of my old home made camera variables and started using the proper LibGDX camera which can zoom, much better Cheesy

Click to Play
Offline Opiop
« Reply #1818 - Posted 2015-02-27 15:58:29 »

Started planning out a new game today. I've made a commitment to myself that I will actually get this one done, and that I will do it right this time. So I Googled "game design document template", grabbed a nice looking one, and am currently filing it out. One hour later and I'm almost half way done! I've actually never took this much time to plan out a game before, and I'm excited that I'm finally trying it the right way to plan everything out beforehand.

So this is how it feels to be a real game developer, huh? Wink (That was sarcasm)

Edit:
Clarified my sarcasm Tongue
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 1053
Projects: 3
Exp: 20 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #1819 - Posted 2015-02-27 16:04:25 »

My dropdown listbox now works like a charm and even has keyboard control too. Woo! It could do with maybe just a couple of tweaks to the border graphics but I'll leave that for Chaz. There's only one thing left to do, which is that once popped open, I'd like it to close if the mouse is clicked anywhere else. Oh, and maybe I'll make the popup window lerp open and closed....

Cas Smiley

Offline Ashedragon

JGO Coder

Medals: 27
Projects: 1
Exp: 4 years

The best person you could possibly be is yourself.

« Reply #1820 - Posted 2015-02-27 17:43:32 »

I'm finally trying it the right way.

No such thing.

boo
Offline Ecumene

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1821 - Posted 2015-02-27 18:03:30 »

Started planning out a new game today. I've made a commitment to myself that I will actually get this one done, and that I will do it right this time. So I Googled "game design document template", grabbed a nice looking one, and am currently filing it out. One hour later and I'm almost half way done! I've actually never took this much time to plan out a game before, and I'm excited that I'm finally trying it the right way.

So this is how it feels to be a real game developer, huh? Wink

A design document is a document... It doesn't make your a professional or even good at what you're doing.
Wanna be seen as a real game developer? Make lots of fun games. It's that simple. persecutioncomplex

Offline Opiop
« Reply #1822 - Posted 2015-02-27 18:24:46 »

I was joking guys, see the winky face at the end? I don't literally mean I'm a real game developer now.
Offline ags1

JGO Kernel

Medals: 367
Projects: 7

Make code not war!

« Reply #1823 - Posted 2015-02-27 21:16:31 »

Opiop, you ARE a real game developer.

On the subject of design documents, my worst work in my enterprise environment has always started with a fat design document, maybe even written by me. The more effort spent on the design document, the worse the end result.

My best work has been seat-of-pants stuff where I code in a frenzy of intuition, racing to finish the project before management notice and stops me.

Offline Opiop
« Reply #1824 - Posted 2015-02-27 21:29:43 »

Opiop, you ARE a real game developer.

On the subject of design documents, my worst work in my enterprise environment has always started with a fat design document, maybe even written by me. The more effort spent on the design document, the worse the end result.

My best work has been seat-of-pants stuff where I code in a frenzy of intuition, racing to finish the project before management notice and stops me.
Thank you!

I haven't had a programming job, so I wouldn't know how it all works but I know that I'm terrible at finishing projects without planning EVERYTHING first. In fact, my track record reflects that, I've finished 0 games (besides maybe Pong or small clones like that). Filling out this document sort of makes me realize what I need to do, and where to allocate my time and resources. I'm excited to get to work!
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #1825 - Posted 2015-02-28 02:14:44 »

Shaving seconds off my Rubiks times. Learning bits and pieces of the Fridrich method has gotten my time down to 44 seconds! It's funny, I've been keeping track of my times ever since I started trying to learn speed cubing and you can see a definite linear decrease which I'm expecting will flatten out shortly. Of course these aren't my only solves, there's hundreds of solves between these timing sessions.

Offline CopyableCougar4
« Reply #1826 - Posted 2015-02-28 06:18:26 »

I've been trying to find a way to balance my almost ADHD when it comes to project focus while still exercising my mind and fiddling with new projects.

Over the last few days I have:
  • Made a simple serializer just for fun (by default only writes primitive arrays and primitives)
  • Made a simple compressor that uses a dictionary lookup to index repeated words (good for basic compression)
  • Wrote a standalone easy to use Ogg decoder that passes a RawPCM object with a buffer of raw PCM data
  • Made a new basic game engine just for the fun of it (similar to Java2D in Graphics and Image objects) (this was before I started fiddling with new projects)

I will probably edit this if I do more this evening, but I just thought I should share my progress Tongue

Either wandering the forum or programming. Most likely the latter Smiley

Github: http://github.com/CopyableCougar4
Offline SHC
« Reply #1827 - Posted 2015-02-28 08:20:00 »

Finally got smooth following camera in Blox:

Click to Play

(The graphical glitch is copyright of the GIF recorder, not of my program).

Offline quew8

JGO Knight

Medals: 53

« Reply #1828 - Posted 2015-02-28 10:10:59 »

Having started a module on control theory, I cannot see anything like that without thinking about transfer functions and feedback loops. Looks good.
Offline basil_

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 418
Exp: 13 years

« Reply #1829 - Posted 2015-02-28 22:55:13 »

finished another round on genetic-algorithms.

my last round was 2 years ago and i got stuck cos' i was hiding the fitness function too much in the selection procedure - end up with a system which i could tell how to evolve but not where to - which was pointless Cranky (debug images were looking better tho')

became much simpler now, and it seems to work Smiley at least i could make it evolve a mathematical expression like (a + b * c) to create a desired number - based on an alphabet and bit-encoding. looks a bit boring (reading numbers on the console output) so i made a few color-mutations, which are not very useful but let me debug the code.

images read like : very left column contains the initial population. every column to the right is the selection/mutation/crossover of the previous generation. column on the very right should contain the desired color. each column shows the whole generation, sorted by hue+brightness which looks better than sorting by fitness Smiley

here is a simple almost-white input - evolving into blue :

averaged random seeds :

.. red-ish input which is far away from the desired blue :

average :

and a random-ish color input evolving into dark red :

average :

inspired by http://www.ai-junkie.com/ga/intro/gat1.html
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 205
  ignore  |  Print  

EgonOlsen (1278 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:48

EgonOlsen (1146 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:44

EgonOlsen (881 views)
2018-06-10 19:43:20

DesertCoockie (1290 views)
2018-05-13 18:23:11

nelsongames (1106 views)
2018-04-24 18:15:36

nelsongames (1337 views)
2018-04-24 18:14:32

ivj94 (2077 views)
2018-03-24 14:47:39

ivj94 (1230 views)
2018-03-24 14:46:31

ivj94 (2188 views)
2018-03-24 14:43:53

Solater (796 views)
2018-03-17 05:04:08
Deployment and Packaging
by mudlee
2018-08-22 18:09:50

Java Gaming Resources
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:19:41

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:04:08

Deployment and Packaging
by gouessej
2018-08-22 08:03:45

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:33:38

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-20 02:29:55

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:56:20

Deployment and Packaging
by philfrei
2018-08-19 23:54:46
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org