Games in Android Showcase (105)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (524)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Java Games Community Board Elections  (Read 6507 times)
Offline Athomas Goldberg

Grrrrrr...

« Posted 2004-02-02 04:34:04 »

Election Time!!! Help shape the future of the Java Games Community!

Please cast your ballots before Friday, February 13th. votes received after 8pm on the last day of voting will not be counted. The two nominees with the greatest number of votes at that time will take their place on the Community Board along with a third member, a Sun employee, chosen by Sun Microsystems.

Election results will be announced immediately following the close of the election.

The BOD will be responsible for promoting the Java Games Open Source Community within the game development community, overseeing community  policy, settling disputes within the community and driving the future direction of the community. For a draft of the proposed set of Community Board rules see:

https://games.dev.java.net/JavaGamesBoardRules.html

The Board Rules will be finalized by the board following the elections.

[move]VOTE NOW - Java Games Community Board Elections - VOTE NOW[/move]

Athomas Goldberg
Project Lead / Wildcard
Game Technologies Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-02-02 04:56:01 »

I send out a big digital handshake and kiss to all babies of Java Games Community Board citizens!

Good luck to all the candidates!

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 104
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-02-02 06:08:53 »

Questions?

1) Didn't BlahBlahBlahBlah nominate himself?

2) Its still not really been made clear what the point of this board is. What will they actually do?

3) Where is the abstain button? (not that I'm going to use it, but it would be an interesting indicator as to support for this concept).

Kev

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 336
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-02-02 07:28:55 »

That's certainly a tough vote. Can't we vote for all of them to be on the board? About time we had a bit more community influence Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-02-02 09:31:33 »

Questions?

1) Didn't BlahBlahBlahBlah nominate himself?

Yep. Perhaps I've been rejected? I thought several others had (been) nominated too, given the contents of the other thread.

(begins to wonder what's going on)

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-02-02 09:48:30 »

Personally, I'd have to abstain at the moment (although, as noted, there's currently no option to Smiley).

• I'm not sure why I'd vote for each of the different candidates, two of them I basically don't know at all (are we expected to go and read all their back-posts in all forums that we don't necessarily normally read, to try and work out how suitable they'd be?). Some background on each would be rather helpful...
  • I don't really know what kind of person we're looking for; I'd prefer some discussion with everyone else before I even considered a vote. Or perhaps the GTG has some advice on suitability, given they're selecting their own candidate? The only "discussion" so far has consisted almost entirely of a few questions lobbed at the GTG, and one or two people's brief opinions.

• e.g. would it be stupid to say I wanted one from my own timezone/country? Certainly it can be a PITA working with people 5-8 hours different all the time...
    • e.g. what time commitmemt is necessary, and how much time do each of these people have? Does this even matter? Who knows?
    • (I don't just want answers to those two questions, just giving examples of why I feel inadequately advised to make any serious decision on this right now. Or perhaps we are taking this too seriously, and shouldn't really care...).
    • EDIT: having chaired several committees before, including big voluntary ones, I can probably still remember most of the "standard questions". Given the high percentage of volunteers who either do absolutely nothing, or just spend their time networking for personal gain, it's usually worth quite a bit of "filtering" at election time using solid criteria. "Votes of no confidence" tend to be very very under-used (people are too nice/polite/forgiving), although I've been mean enough to call them more than once, when needed Grin. My experience, though, has been with committees with 5 and 6 figure budgets, so perhaps is completely irrelevant; that's why I'd welcome some more guidance...

Or, to pick from some other not-really-answered questions that people have already come up with:

Doesn't sound like much really.  Not much more than web site admins.  What is the relationship of the board with the rest of the gaming industry and the rest of Sun?

OTOH, thanks to Jeff we *do* currently know that these people can change the forum software.

Based on the sum total of our knowledge, it sounds like we're looking for an IT consultant? (tongue firmly in cheek Wink).

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-02-02 10:15:20 »

Yep. Perhaps I've been rejected? I thought several others had (been) nominated too, given the contents of the other thread.

(begins to wonder what's going on)

Did you write an email to dev@games.dev.java.net?

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-02-02 11:08:48 »

Did you write an email to dev@games.dev.java.net?

Of course Smiley But if there were any doubt, I would have thought it fairly obvious that I had at least intended to, given I said I had in the other thread...

Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-02-02 11:26:24 »

Posting to the forums here should be equal to posts to the mailing list?

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline Athomas Goldberg

Grrrrrr...

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-02-02 12:37:39 »

The list of nominees was taken solely from postings to the mailing list.  While I recall BlahBlahBlah mentioning his self-nomination in the other thread, no email showed up to that affect in the dev alias, so it was not clear whether he was serious about it, and there was no opportunity for anyone to second the nomination. I apologize if there has been an error, but given that BlahBlahBlah has mentioned that he'd have to abstain, we'll let the election continue as is.

One of the first orders of business for the Board will be to determine whether certain activities currently managed through the mailing lists (project proposals & approval, etc), should instead use the forums, as these are the locus of communication for this community.

Athomas Goldberg
Project Lead / Wildcard
Game Technologies Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-02-02 12:47:35 »

I imagine (from actually reading his post) he meant abstain from voting (since there is no information on the candidates and that the list of candidates may not even be correct) rather than abstain from being a nominee.

Kev

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-02-02 13:08:58 »

I imagine (from actually reading his post) he meant abstain from voting (since there is no information on the candidates and that the list of candidates may not even be correct) rather than abstain from being a nominee.

That's how I read it, too. :-/

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-02-02 13:23:05 »

The list of nominees was taken solely from postings to the mailing list.  While I recall BlahBlahBlah mentioning his self-nomination in the other thread, no email

Well, I've had no failure delivery message, there's nothing in my "unsent"/outbox, so I could only assume it sent OK Sad.

error, but given that BlahBlahBlah has mentioned that he'd have to abstain, we'll let the election continue as is.

Sigh. That was in reference to this thread, where we were talking about the options in the poll. I see now that I could have made it more explicit.

But the real issues here are more general. So far, with perfectly reasonably questions being asked but not answered (about the role of people in this board, etc), and apparently little interest from the forums in general, it's looking less like a "community election" and more like a lost opportunity.

I've done a lot of committee work before; volunteer ones are usually tough to keep alive and tough to keep doing relevant work, but are fantastic when things come together. Sadly, some end up a miserable waste of everyone's time. I'm not judging the GTG guys - I appreciate (as I'm sure we all do) how much they have on their plate, and especially the difficulties of trailblazing, where almost everything they do is "new" for Sun and requires negotiation with the corporate side.

However, so far I'm afraid to say this "election" looks more like the poor committees I've previously been involved with (and, FYI, ultimately resigned from after all attempts at reform failed). FWIW, I reckon this is only due to accident and lack of time. I mean, for instance, why on earth (if you'd seen my posting) didn't you think to at least *check* with me whether I'd attempted to nominate myself?

And why did no-one think to email the forum moderators about this? (...or has my email server managed to lose it???). *Especially* when you decided there'd been too few nominations! I mean, these are people who've already volunteered to help you guys out - a quick email to us and perhaps we could have helped drum up more interest. As an aside, I would have thought it also a good idea to email any moderators who didn't appear to have nominated themselves just to check there were no last-minute changes of mind, or that someone had forgotten / been too busy to do it.

Shrug; just ideas, maybe not even good ones Smiley. It's really great that you (the GTG) had a "Rules" (constitution) in place well before the election, but IMHO that's only half the job done. You still need to steer the general community into participation here, or else you'll end up with a "board" in great danger of ending up with little influence or relevance. If, for instance (playing devil's advocate), this board has no more meaning than a name on a piece of paper, and "attendance" at meetings that are generally open anyway, what's the point?

Theoretically, any of us can talk to any of you (the GTG) at any time already. As Cas has already alluded to, if board membership would grant us extra time for grabbing you from your busy schedules Smiley, then that would be a major difference and would enable us to do a lot more to help you and the community. (Ask Chris - he's probably fed up of me bugging him about getting just one or two articles onto JGO, so that I have examples to point to, and can ferret out more authors and bug them until they write something Smiley).

I don't mind being excluded from the candidates, except for the frustration and sense of a missed chance to do more to help (which, AFAICS, is quite common here - the only thing holding volunteers back is the fact that the GTG folks are too busy to unblock things; no-one's fault, but a problem that I suspected this board was formed partly to solve!). I had hoped that membership of this board might give me some extra time/attention so I could get what I needed to push ahead with such things, which are of benefit to the community here. I couldn't care less what forum software JGO uses, and my name's been on more than enough committees that the title alone has no value to me.

Give the candidates a bit more info, and give the voters clear guidance, and you could end up with a well-respected board where people know what they voted for, and why. Leave it to fizzle to a conclusion and I'm not sure it will have been worth the effort Sad.

Sorry for the rant, but these things are much harder to correct once started off on the wrong foot...

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-02-02 13:28:15 »

Hear hear.

And let's have a manifesto from each of the candidates, please. Not a CV, but a manifesto: what your commitments are going to be (in terms of time and activity), and why you're the best for the job.

Cas Smiley

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-02-02 13:31:03 »

While I agree with everything you just said, it did have a certain smack of a campaign speech  Grin

Kev

-- Paid For By The Friends and Supported of The KevGlass Future --

Offline Athomas Goldberg

Grrrrrr...

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-02-02 16:12:04 »

Well, I've had no failure delivery message, there's nothing in my "unsent"/outbox, so I could only assume it sent OK Sad.

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the dev alias archives either. While I believe you did in fact send it, I only had the dev list to go on at the time the elections began.

`But the real issues here are more general. So far, with perfectly reasonably questions being asked but not answered (about the role of people in this board, etc), and apparently little interest from the forums in general, it's looking less like a "community election" and more like a lost opportunity.

The role of the people on the board has been described in the proposed "Board Rules" and also (briefly) at the start of this discussion. Principally, the goal of the board, is to put as much control in the hands of the community as possible, so that the community's concerns play a key role, not just those of Sun Microsystems. I'd like to think that if we had a board in place already, many of the issues you raised here would have come up sooner.

However, so far I'm afraid to say this "election" looks more like the poor committees I've previously been involved with (and, FYI, ultimately resigned from after all attempts at reform failed). FWIW, I reckon this is only due to accident and lack of time. I mean, for instance, why on earth (if you'd seen my posting) didn't you think to at least *check* with me whether I'd attempted to nominate myself?

Once again, I apologize. For the sake of expediency I stuck to the rules. I'd already extended the nomination process by an extra week and didnt want to delay the elections. I assumed that if anyone had sent mail to the alias, and not seen their message on the list, they would either resend it or alert us to the problem.

And why did no-one think to email the forum moderators about this? (...or has my email server managed to lose it???). *Especially* when you decided there'd been too few nominations! I mean, these are people who've already volunteered to help you guys out - a quick email to us and perhaps we could have helped drum up more interest.

The nomination was announced on  the main java-gaming.org page, and sticky at the top of the General Discussions forum. I assumed the forum moderators who frequent the site would have seen one of these announcements over the two weeks of the nominations. That said, I agree that asking the forum moderators to help drum up interest would have been an excellent idea.

Theoretically, any of us can talk to any of you (the GTG) at any time already. As Cas has already alluded to, if board membership would grant us extra time for grabbing you from your busy schedules Smiley, then that would be a major difference and would enable us to do a lot more to help you and the community.

Another goal of the board is just that. To give the community greater access and control over these decisions, which are currently made solely by the GTG (though with the community's interests in mind of course)  By scheduling regular meetings of the board, we're carving out a chunk of the GTG's time to focus entirely on the issues involved in the community. In addition we are extending the authority to act on the suggestions of the community to members outside the GTG.

I don't mind being excluded from the candidates, except for the frustration and sense of a missed chance to do more to help (which, AFAICS, is quite common here - the only thing holding volunteers back is the fact that the GTG folks are too busy to unblock things; no-one's fault, but a problem that I suspected this board was formed partly to solve!).

Yep.

I had hoped that membership of this board might give me some extra time/attention so I could get what I needed to push ahead with such things, which are of benefit to the community here. I couldn't care less what forum software JGO uses, and my name's been on more than enough committees that the title alone has no value to me.

I hope you will continue to push ahead with these things. Hopefully, the addition of the board members will increase the likelihood that those things that will benefit the community are acted upon in a timely manner.
Sorry for the rant, but these things are much harder to correct once started off on the wrong foot...

Agreed, and no apology necessary. This is a first for us, and I'm sure there'll be mistakes and plenty to learn. The first order of business of the board will be to revise and finalize the board rules, so hopefully many of these issues will be addressed and the next elections will go much smoother Smiley

Athomas Goldberg
Project Lead / Wildcard
Game Technologies Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-02-02 16:45:56 »

While I agree with everything you just said, it did have a certain smack of a campaign speech  Grin

Chuckle. Since it appears I won't get to give a campaign speech, I didn't need to worry about whether it sounded like a speech from one Smiley.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-02-02 17:15:10 »

Ok, we're starting to get somewhere. This is the kind of information potential candidates need before deciding to stand:

By scheduling regular meetings of the board, we're carving out a chunk of the GTG's time to focus entirely on the issues involved in the community. In addition we are extending the authority to act on the suggestions of the community to members outside the GTG.

..but by my reckoning there's still a lot of info you guys haven't given that's needed before you could start asking people to vote seriously.

My next big question is this: How committed are we to the current process and timeline, can we delay it or modify it?

Do you want the best board you can get, with a solid mandate from those who voted, or is it more important to get something - anything! - in place by a certain date (a pressure which I can fully appreciate)? (NB: I'm not trying to imply that a board voted for now would be "invalid", just that enough holes have come up so far that I wouldn't even vote - as I touched upon in my previous post - and presumably there are others who also wouldn't vote. If that turns out to be a significant number of people that boycott the election, then the board will not have a "solid mandate", but merely "a compromise").

Because if we don't absolutely have to stick to the status quo, I'd say this has become a bit of a mess which we can still quite easily clean up. At the risk of sounding dictatorial, I'd suggest gathering some more feedback and some sound advice *from the JGO community* on the handling of the elections etc (which is going to require some more data from the GTG guys, or at the very least a statement to the effect "We don't know, we hadn't really thought about it; what do YOU want it to be?").

The evidence so far makes me think there are some important viewpoints you haven't considered yet which might come out in response to more info from you guys. Historically, these forums have thrived on suggestions and critiques. You've suggested almost nothing (we've asked, and been met mostly with silence). I'd hazard that many (if not most) of us here contribute best by constructive criticism. Just the opinions and expectations of individual GTG members, your stream-of-consciousness ideas on what this board is and will be, would give us so much better an idea of what criteria we should use to make the decisions you want from us (both as candidates and voters). If you feel we should have been discussing this more amongst ourselves, fair enough, but howabout stimulating the discussions?

Accept that the first attempt was in good faith, but misguided, and start again with a process everyone's happy with *and which we voters feel less confused by*. I cannot over-emphasize how completely in the dark I (and, I believe, most others) have felt about this process - I am absolutely sure the GTG guys don't fully appreciate this, having seen the other side of the fence before, and knowing how different things can look with just a very slightly different perspective. (NB: the transparency's been good, you haven't been secretive, but it's felt like getting blood out of a stone...)

Just a guess, but e.g. perhaps Cas would re-consider standing, given the above new info, and his previous statement. As it happens, I think a very large number of people would vote for Cas if he stood (but you'll never even know as it stands, because there's no way for people to voice dissent or dissatisfaction with candidates! No R.O.N., no "abstain", nothing...).

EDIT: P.S. thanks for responding to my latest points. However, I note that you didn't answer any of my earlier questions about how we, as voters, should be making the decision... Blood. From. Stone.

PPS: good move in putting the vote on the front page, BTW Smiley

Offline Athomas Goldberg

Grrrrrr...

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-02-02 18:32:10 »

In response to suggestions from the community, I have added an option to abstain from voting, for whatever reason one may choose to.

That said, I would encourage community members to choose from the existing candidates and to post questions for the candidates if one is unsure of their qualifications or is having trouble making a decision between them.

Once again, the exact role of the board will be to provide a greater voice for the community in decisions regarding community policy, community direction and community evangelism. This does not in any way reduce the rights of non-elected community members to voice their questions/concerns/opinions/suggestions/etc.  Our hope is that by delegating greater responsibility and authority to the members of the community, we can better represent the will of the community at large, beyond the specific objectives of Sun Microsystems.

As detailed in the board rules, board members have equal authority in making decisions affecting the community. The only exception to this is in the event of a tie that continues for more than two meetings (something that can only occur if a non-Sun board member is absent for more than two consecutive meetings) and so, this really is an opportunity for the community to take the reigns in shaping its future.

While there are likely to be a number of bumps in the road, each of the nominated candidates is more than capable of representing the will of the community, and I believe the community will greatly benefit from their participation, whoever is ultimately elected.

Athomas Goldberg
Project Lead / Wildcard
Game Technologies Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-02-02 19:35:24 »

I'm afraid I haven't the time to stand this time round - suddenly have little time left for fun now I work as a menial slave. I'd think twice if there was more direct input into the Java platform. (Hell, I'd rather quite like a job with Sun really Wink )

Cas Smiley

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-02-05 21:38:08 »

My main question is does Yuri or David actually accept the nomination?  I see no emails from them nor posts that they actually want to be on the board.  If they have accepted the nomination then at least some info on what they plan to do would be nice in this thread: http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=announcements;action=display;num=1074215610;start=15

It's a shame blahblahblahh isn't on the list - if I was a betting man I'd say that perhaps his email got caught by the moderation system (that happened to me once when I used a different email address and it turned up a few days later)?

Now if it turns out that neither Yuri nor David actually want the commitment then surely we'll have to accept blahblahblahh's nomination or else the election is just a walkover (2 candidates and 2 posistions...).

Will.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-02-09 10:08:29 »

*cough* anyone care to comment?

Will.

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-02-09 15:13:41 »

Yuri accepts the nomination. He's just very busy currently.

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline Yuri Vl. Gushchin

Speak Java!

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-02-09 17:33:54 »

Hello,

Yes, I confirm I accept nomination. Unfortunately, I missed most of this discussion (including my nomination) because of participation in ATEI (Amusement Trades Exhibition International) exhibition in London, so I'll provide missing information about myself ASAP.

Anyway, I think that this is a good idea to have Java Games Community Board.

Yuri

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-02-10 02:34:54 »

cool Smiley

How about David - has he accpeted the nomination?

Will.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-02-12 14:49:32 »

Chuckle. Since it appears I won't get to give a campaign speech, I didn't need to worry about whether it sounded like a speech from one Smiley.

Well, seeing as none of the candidates' platforms so far seem to cover all the things I want out of a board, and there's been practically no discussion on them, I'll have a go; hopefully this might stimulate something more from them. (PS: note to Athomas, it's standard practice to only allow people to stand for an election if they get a platform/speech handed in on time by the end of the selection process. Yuri, for instance, has only given people 3 days to process his info! And where's David's campaign speech/platform?).

-----------

The J* API's are not my area of expertise, and I believe either Gregory or Shawn would do a much better job with them; one of them is bound to be voted in for this, and I'd usually just support their recommendations.

My major interest in this board is driving the JGO community forward on the following fronts:

• Community participation
  • Sun-supported marketing
  • Game-driven changes to java, the JDK, the JRE, etc
  • Helping the GTG to understand the JGO community, and avoid some of the unfortunate accidents/misunderstandings in the past
  • Making sure things actually *get done*, as opposed to only being talked about.

I want to see regular (once weekly) new articles published on JGO, from the community, on the topics we discuss here. It's important to understand that these do NOT replace the forums - articles take longer to write, require much more effort, are better thought out, and a single article tends to summarise most of what you want to know. I would typically expect something to be debated in the forums, making us realize an article on that subject would be helpful, then the article would come some time later - taking into account all the debate on the forum, but summarising things more concisely.

Think of articles from flipcode, and to a lesser extent game-dev.net and CFXweb. But our articles would be aimed at us as an audience, mainly covering three topics:

• Tutorials for doing things in java in particular (e.g. regularly updated tutorials on JOGL, Java2D, sound API's, etc). Usually aimed at newbie java games programmers, who NEED decent tutorials.
  • Marketing, publishing, selling games - specifically looking at the problems java game developers face here, and including post-mortems from our community of the problems they've faced and any successes / tricks they've learned.
  • "Java Games Development tricks" and / or Advanced articles. These tend to be less factual and more personal opinions and tricks, due to the fact that it's less well-trodden ground - e.g. some of Cas's opinions on avoiding threads, or e.g. some of my opinions on use of NIO.

These would *all* be peer-reviewed, just to sanity check them for obvious inaccuracies / problems. You could trust JGO articles never to be glaringly wrong, at least Smiley.

I believe I can find the people within the community both to write and review these articles, and am willing to do a lot of it myself until I've got others involved.

I also think there's a lot more promotion of JGO that Sun could do with very little effort, but they need some advice / help here. I see front-page news articles covering Sun and the games industry that completely omit JGO and the GTG. A little co-ordination with the GTG could get much greater exposure.

From my experience of organizing exhibitions, competitions, etc, I'd also have a particular personal interest in getting the oft-suggested "Sun JGO games competition" made into a reality. Also, I think I can see ways of increasing sun's presence at industry exhibitions (and taking along demo / beta games from this community with them) which don't need Sun to spend lots of money, but would take too much time for the GTG to organize themself - I want to do the groundwork etc, so all they have to do is make the final decision. This also applies especially to non-US events, where I think the GTG is even less likely to get involved just because they don't have anyone outside the US (I'm based in the UK).

On the subject of GTG's understanding of this community, I think many of us know of some of the major accidents. E.g. the change to games.dev.java.net which killed these forums in the blink of an eye! (until they realised how much we wanted them back -urgently-). Also this election could have been organized much better, with just a tiny bit of feedback from the community before it started. I've worked on this problem lots of times before (helping committees to understand their societies' members, and improve communication between the two).

Finally, I really don't think most people have what it takes to ensure the things they want the GTG to do actually get done. It's always had to get corporates to move on anything - even when you have a dept head (e.g. ChrisM) on your side. It's even harder when you're not even a salaried employee. The guys at Sun might not like the sound of this Grin but if we agreed to do something I'd sure as heck made sure it actually got done (and if we were progressing too slowly on something or delaying it unreasonably, I'd start making a fuss until we either agreed not to do it, or actually got it done).

I have a lot of experience in:

• Organizing committees, getting things done, heckling people until they do what they promised (skills honed from working both with corporates who are slow to do *anything* new, and with volunteer organizations, where no-one is being *paid* to do anything)
  • Promotional activities for communities - e.g. I've arranged and run events for upwards of 2000 people, co-run a £50k business plan competition, arranged 5-figure sponsorship deals etc
  • Shared virtual worlds, game-networking, MMOG tech development, etc (c.f. my company @ grexengine.com)
  • Advising startups and fledgling games developers; e.g. helping people writing their first game to organize themselves and give their best shot at getting it out the door. Helping them understand the steps they must take to get to market, and how hard it's going to be.

If you're interested, I have a very short bio here: http://grexengine.com/sections/people/adam/ (or click on moderator info at the top of this page - I'm Adam Martin / blahblahblahh)

...But I think it's more important what I'd actually *do* on the board rather than what I've already done.

P.S. Just to be clear: I'm not putting down the current candidates, but there are two positions, and those candidates I think would be especially good for one wouldn't on their own be covering everything I think needs covering.

I think that the platforms we've seen already from the candidates are going to leave a gaping hole, and this is a lost opportunity to get some really good stuff going (although I'm sure whoever gets voted in will certainly get really good stuff going as well - it's just we could have got more).

P.P.S. Yes, I do think it's stupid that I was cut out of the elections Smiley.  And I have already tried to get some of what I mentioned above going - but I seem never to be able to get hold of the GTG people long enough to get much stuff to happen. They're very busy people.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-02-12 15:00:43 »

Sorry, I forgot something.

Something else I'd really like to make happen is get more talks at conferences on the use of java in professional games development. With Sun's backing, talks that wouldn't get past the conference selection criteria are much more likely to be accepted (assuming Sun had real involvement in the talks - people are much more interested when Sun starts to make moves in this area).

In the last 12 months I've been to mobile gaming conferences (approx 75 talks/presentations, and 5k attendees), games-development conferences and exhibitions (both UK and US, typically 0-120 talks/presentations/roundtables, and 10k - 20k attendees), and would have gone (but for other commitments) to several more "games industry" seminars / 1-day conferences where Java was discussed quite heavily - but Sun was nowhere in evidence (and I doubt the GTG even heard these things were going on!).

Like it or not, these are the *primary* means of getting the attention of the games industry. You may think that as someone who's already using JGO you don't care - but you do. The more developers (especially professional) who come in to this community, the more money that corporate Sun can give to the GTG, and the more big publishers / studios will take Java seriously. The knock on effects include publishers being more likely to accept a proposal from you for a java game, and developers being likely to see the value of your extensive java experience when they're hiring. I've spoken to publishers and developers on these issues, and often the directors are not so adverse to java as the companies appear - but they admit privately that they daren't be more interested in java until there's more momentum behind java in the games industry - more exposure, more support from Sun, more examples of successful games projects, more *information* on how java helps - so many C++ developers still don't even realise that java has regular expressions, sometimes don't even believe it!

Combatting this ignorance is not so hard, when you start using industry events. As lone developers, working outside of the JGO community and the auspices of the GTG, it's practically impossible.

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-02-14 06:38:14 »

So, its looks like its Shawn with a close second "Abstain". Don't we now have to ask why so many people (proportionally) abstained and why although the forums officially have nearly 3000 users, <150 decided to actually vote.

Not to say that these folks shouldn't start the job asap, but this whole election process strikes me as slightly dodgy...

Kev

abstain
« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-02-14 07:40:14 »

So, its looks like its Shawn with a close second "Abstain".

Not to say that these folks shouldn't start the job asap

I would just like to thank everyone for their support at this point, and would also like to especially thank Kevglass for showing his support for me at this difficult time. I think most people would have balked at accepting the facts here (I won, even if you didn't realise I was a person), but Keglass didn't, and is a diamond geezer.

I think I did particularly well, especially considering I didn't even make a speech, and no-one knows who I am...

Grin Grin Grin
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-02-14 07:41:42 »

Quality  Grin

Kev

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

SHC (24 views)
2014-07-12 17:50:04

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-10 20:20:18

CopyableCougar4 (29 views)
2014-07-10 02:26:14

CopyableCougar4 (32 views)
2014-07-09 02:55:38

Code Mage (33 views)
2014-07-08 23:57:00

Code Mage (20 views)
2014-07-08 23:49:08

AppleSauce (28 views)
2014-07-08 19:25:32

CopyableCougar4 (29 views)
2014-07-06 01:51:26

ipe369 (35 views)
2014-07-05 14:18:25

vastrolorde (44 views)
2014-07-04 18:45:44
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org