Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  If you sell your entire identity to an anonymous buyer for a high price...  (Read 859 times)
Offline tom_mai78101
« Posted 2014-06-16 05:19:23 »

...What would you do?

And what happens next?

I'm thinking up a RPG story plot, but felt myself unable to come up with creative ideas. sigh...
Offline SHC
« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-06-16 05:33:03 »

I will not sell it. If I ever sell a product, my name should present on it.

Offline UprightPath
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-06-16 05:44:39 »

So, in my mind this can go two ways:

1) Your name is suddenly in use in a way you weren't expecting it. What follows is you running and attempting to figure out what the person who now legally uses your name is doing. Sort of like an odd, confused identity thing going on.

2) Perhaps something like attempting to track down the person-- after some years-- in an attempt to get your name back? I mean, it depends on what the setting would be, I s'pose.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-06-16 05:49:05 »

I suppose you would attempt to create yourself a new life, but have troubles in doing so.
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Medals: 197
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-06-16 06:01:07 »

Plot twist; The person who sold his identity is a registered sex offender.

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Survival Sim/Builder/Roguelike!
LIVE-STREAMING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.twitch.tv/SG_Rayvolution
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 798
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-06-16 06:12:13 »

On that note: why not throw in some amnesia side story, and in the end you trace the buyer to yourself? persecutioncomplex

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline tom_mai78101
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-06-16 10:51:24 »

On that note: why not throw in some amnesia side story, and in the end you trace the buyer to yourself? persecutioncomplex

Oh, similar to the movie, "23"?

This takes place in space:

If you sell your identity to someone else, you will receive a certificate, stating that you have no identity, and that you're now deemed as an "outlaw". This certificate, postal stamp-sized, is then tattooed onto your left upper arm, as per governing rules.

People who are deemed outlaws, are forbidden to enter colonies in outer space, and can only enter the vast dark worlds where colonies wouldn't dare to enter. Those who aren't are just plain normal human beings. Outlaws can trade weapons, arsenals, and much more. Humans, however, trade resources and economy. Outlaws must use resources to create tools and other mechanical things, and humans need them to sustain themselves.

You, awake in the morning, were about to start a normal day with your normal daily routine, when a group of people started mugging you, and tattooing your left upper arm with an actual certificate of someone else. You would think that you might be framed for something, so you called the police. After legal sessions throughout the week, you finally found out that you bought yourself your own identity, and discovering an impossible loophole that saved you from entering prison.

Intergalactic news about you spread throughout the universe, with many heated debates pissing off in the media like chain reactions. Outlaws, once heard of this news, started to gather and planned to initiate a migratory attack, to return to their normal daily lives. Planetary governments and numerous colonies fought back to save themselves from this attack, and started to bring chaos into the mix.

You, both as an outlaw and a normal human being, will have to find ways to save mankind from the brinks of destruction in an "epic" RPG.

Plot Twist: The group of people that mugged you are the actual antagonists and bosses in this game. The final boss is very challenging.

Okay then. Would this work?
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 49

« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-06-16 13:29:10 »

Okay then. Would this work?

I don't get it, so probably no Wink There are too much plot holes, so needs more work

Some Questions and Ideas:
If you sell your identity to someone else, you will receive a certificate, stating that you have no identity, and that you're now deemed as an "outlaw". This certificate, postal stamp-sized, is then tattooed onto your left upper arm, as per governing rules.
Does this certificate contain a reference to your former identity?

People who are deemed outlaws, are forbidden to enter colonies in outer space, and can only enter the vast dark worlds where colonies wouldn't dare to enter. Those who aren't are just plain normal human beings. Outlaws can trade weapons, arsenals, and much more. Humans, however, trade resources and economy. Outlaws must use resources to create tools and other mechanical things, and humans need them to sustain themselves.
So you want to make this like good needs evil to survive and the outlaw mechanism grew into a balanced society? I think you need to flesh out the mechanics a bit more and explain why this symbiosis is needed.

Also, who is buying the identities? And why? If it aren't the Outlaws, what's the point of buying one? If the Outlaws could buy one, why would they want to have back their own and why would it even be a problem to be an Outlaw if you can buy yourself an identity to come out of this?

What can you do with the identity? It doesn't seem logical to just live another ones life. You lack the expertise and experienct to do his work for example. You also won't be able to just slip into his shoes and live his social life, since partners and friends won't become your partners and friends by buying the identity.

You, awake in the morning, were about to start a normal day with your normal daily routine, when a group of people started mugging you, and tattooing your left upper arm with an actual certificate of someone else. You would think that you might be framed for something, so you called the police. After legal sessions throughout the week, you finally found out that you bought yourself your own identity, and discovering an impossible loophole that saved you from entering prison.
You said "an actual certificate of someone else" and later "bought yourself your own identity". For me it's not clear what you mean and how it is achieved.

Do you mean like:
- You were marked as an outlaw
- To prevent prison and/or banishment you hide and research for a way out of this mess
- You find out, how you can buy back your identity
- You buy back your identity and therefor are now an outlaw (certificate tattoo)
  and a normal citizen (bought identity) at the same time

This implies a lot of questions:
- Why where you mugged in the first place - it will only make sense if they want your identity
- How can you buy your identity, you don't have a bank account anymore
- How can you get back your own, since the muggers wanted to have it for a reason
- Simply buying an identity seems to obvious (even of someone else), so the loophole does no seem logical

Intergalactic news about you spread throughout the universe, with many heated debates pissing off in the media like chain reactions. Outlaws, once heard of this news, started to gather and planned to initiate a migratory attack, to return to their normal daily lives. Planetary governments and numerous colonies fought back to save themselves from this attack, and started to bring chaos into the mix.

This doesn't come natural either:
- They sold their identity in the first place, why would they want to get their life back.
  There need at least be some unfair reason that forced them to sell their identity in the first place

You, both as an outlaw and a normal human being, will have to find ways to save mankind from the brinks of destruction in an "epic" RPG.

Plot Twist: The group of people that mugged you are the actual antagonists and bosses in this game. The final boss is very challenging.

Again, why? What does the bosses have to do with you?

Other than that, I like the idea of identity theft and trading as well as a scyfi and space opera setting. But I think you need to put more thought into it and fill the "plot holes"...

Maybe you need to mix in some cyberspace component to make the use of foreign identities more believable.

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-06-16 13:33:48 »

Anyone who hasn't should see Angel Heart (Micky Rourke, Robert de Niro, Alan Parker)

Cas Smiley

Offline KevinWorkman

JGO Wizard

Medals: 67
Projects: 11
Exp: 12 years

klaatu barada nikto

« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-06-16 13:54:02 »

Strangely enough, this was pretty much exactly the plot to the latest Twilight Zone comic book series: Rich wallstreet guy is about to go to jail for fraud, so he goes to an organization that will give him a new identity, a new face, and start him over with a new life. But then he realizes that the organization also gave his old identity and face to a person who ends up living his life better than he did.

But then again, if you really *can't* think of anywhere to go with the premise, it's probably best to drop it before you waste too much time on it.

Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn game programming, upload your own games!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 62
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-06-16 16:12:51 »

The identity is then resold or rented out to further parties for any number of nefarious ends.

Offline tom_mai78101
« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-06-16 22:44:11 »

But then again, if you really *can't* think of anywhere to go with the premise, it's probably best to drop it before you waste too much time on it.

Guess you're right, there's just too much plot holes needed to cover up. Now, I know why screen writing is a lot harder.
Offline AppleSauce
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-06-16 23:13:54 »

Maybe you're a spy, trying to figure out if this person is the evil multi-billionaire your searching for. You bid your Identity for millions and the highest bid.. is your answer.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (26 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (57 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (71 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (37 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (57 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (41 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (27 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (34 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (34 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (40 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org