Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  ignore  |  Print  
  [Slick2d] Retro-Pixel Castles > Now on IndieDB! <  (Read 17238 times)
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Medals: 142
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

Resident Crazyman

« Posted 2014-05-09 02:46:57 »

Official Website: http://retropixelcastles.com/

LIVE STREAMING (ALMOST) ALL THE DEVELOPMENT ON TWITCH, COME WATCH!
http://www.twitch.tv/SG_Rayvolution

>>Download the Latest InDev Version Here<<
http://retropixelcastles.com/index.php?/page/download.html
(Disclaimer: Don't forget to provide constructive feedback!)

Explore all the old builds, if you dare!
http://retropixelcastles.com/junk/rawbuilds/

Shortcuts/controls:
Mouse based map/minimap movement - Hold right-click and drag
Keyboard based map/minimap movement - WASD

Screenshots - F2 (Will place in the screenShot folder)
Debug mode - F3 (If you really want to see it.)
Eraser - E
Grid Mode - G
Patch Mode - P
Hole Mode - H
Select Mode - Q (Currently disabled)
Toggle minimap - Tab
Toggle Accent Mode - Hold L. Control

Please Give RPC your love on IndieDB! Smiley

Introducing my second project since coming to JGO, Retro-Pixel Castles!

RPC was originally started as a project to come up with a fast and efficient pathfinding algorithm that rivaled A*, without all the extra unneeded data. But, as I continued development I realized I might have in my hands a fun little game. So, it has officially become a full blown project!

What is RPC all about you ask? Well, it's designed to be a hybrid village/castle builder, survival roguelike simulator. You start the game with a handful of villagers, no buildings and minimal to no equipment. You start off by building small fortifications to protect yourself as you slowly grow your little village into a thriving castle city. You can not beat this game, it is impossible. The idea is not to win, but to survive as many days as you can, each play-through learning a little more about how to balance the game. Every single day that passes the game gets progressively harder as increasing larger hordes of monsters will attack you.

Gameplay features (Tentative)
- Start with 20-30 villagers.
- Every villager has it's own name, gender, stats, levels up, and a has small inventory.
- Can not control villagers directly, you can only balance the workload and assign tasks (Like building a wall, or harvesting wood). The villagers figure out how to get the job done. If you overwork them, they'll lose hunger faster, rest more often and won't reproduce nearly as often. If they're under-worked, they'll reproduce more and use less resources but you may not be able to defend yourself because you stopped production!
- Build, train and expand. Breed more villagers, mine/gather materials, build buildings, farmland, and fortifications to assist in gathering supplies or training villagers to defend yourself. It's a balancing act to get just the right flavor needed to survive as long as possible.
- Try to survive while being attacked by all kinda of random mobs, from basic barbarians, to demons, to space aliens and vampires.. maybe even some trekkies and code monkies!
- Every day the game gets harder.
- Large maps, 512x512 to be exact!

Technical features
- Tons of little animated sprites to attack you!
- Terrain changes as you play, paths you walk on constantly start to develop footprints, tracks, groves, etc.
- Fully realized blood particle system, blood splatters, pools, dries! Make a mess!
- Ultra-fast pathfinding, currently up to over 5,000 Pathfinding entities running at once.
- Over 10k entities can exist at once on the map.
- Pseudo-dynamic shadows that update in real time!

Here's some shots showing off some of the current technical aspects of the game.

The Map editor and the minimap:

Fast-rendering, dynamic lighting, that is actually based off my pathfinding algorithm! Imagine that?

Fast-rendering, pseudo-dynamic shadows, note the angles of the shadows in the 3 follows screenshots:

Pathfinding of over 5k entities all over the map at 60FPS

Visualizing pathfinding, green line is the path the NPC is taking, the arrows are the checks made that were not deemed short enough.

..and bloody mayhem!!

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Survival Sim/Builder/Roguelike!
LIVE-STREAMING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.twitch.tv/SG_Rayvolution
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-05-09 02:55:50 »

This honestly got me really excited!

I can't wait to play this beauty. I'd easily drop 10 bucks on this game right now! The concept is amazing!

What are you using to make this? Slick? LWJGL? LibGDX? Java2D?
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-05-09 03:00:39 »

This honestly got me really excited!

I can't wait to play this beauty. I'd easily drop 10 bucks on this game right now! The concept is amazing!

What are you using to make this? Slick? LWJGL? LibGDX? Java2D?

LWJGL+Slick2D. Wink

I'm having lots of fun making it, it's also progressing a lot faster than my other game, mainly because the concept was a lot easier to develop. SixtyGig will no doubt have a much longer development cycle, where as this one may be done a lot sooner. Smiley

How soon though? No idea!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-05-09 03:01:49 »

LWJGL & Slick?

How do you even do that?
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-05-09 03:09:43 »

LWJGL & Slick?

How do you even do that?

Slick is really just a library that encapsulates/wraps around LWJGL into something better suited for strictly 2D programming. If you start digging around in Slick's source code you'll notice almost all of it's main functions are just doing some workhorse/boilerplate stuff in LWJGL so you don't have to bother coding it for a 2D engine.

But, there are a few things slick doesn't do, that you need to go directly into LWJGL for.. really right now I just skip slick for a few very minor things (that Slick might actually be able to do anyway, just using LWJGL directly made more sense at the time)

Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-05-09 05:53:15 »

Your like a designer, artist and programming rolled into one sexy form.

Well done, looks good. Yet so simple.

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-05-09 08:20:30 »

Your like a designer, artist and programming rolled into one sexy form.

Well done, looks good. Yet so simple.

Thanks! I can't wait to get more graphics done, right now it's pretty much the absolute bare minimum.

Eventually I'll have dozens(hundreds?) of tiny little character sprites for all sorts of various mob types, and a lot more tileset options. I want players to be able to customize their little villages somewhat, offering several colors/types of almost everything.

My main focus now is getting the basics working, I'm going to probably start by getting the villagers to "work" and build/gather mats, etc. I have tons of mobs planned though, I can't wait to draw them all.

Offline Oskuro

JGO Knight

Medals: 39
Exp: 6 years

Coding in Style

« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-05-09 11:48:42 »

The sprites remind me of the original Lemmings game. I'm loving it! Smiley

Offline lintfordpickle

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-05-09 13:07:07 »

The projects looks really cool!

Out of interest, could you explain a little more about how the path finding works?  I have never implemented A* before, so I don't know, but would performing A* path finding on 5k entities usually perform poorly?

I ask because I will need to eventually implement some kind of path-finding in my current project and am just now looking into the different options.  Are you somehow pre-determining and storing known paths (you mentioned getting rid of extra un-needed data) ..

Also, I'm not sure if you have already implemented these features yet, but it would be good to see some screenshots of how the resources look, are gathered  and how they are transported?  This game looks like I would enjoy just making stockpiles of items for my village geenration Smiley

Online Herjan
« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-05-09 14:41:56 »

It has been quite a while since I programmed games with path-finding, but if you search a really easy A* path-finding guide, here is one for you: http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm
And yes, its way too precise to be efficient on 5k entities (though that's not really needed, I think the 5k entities in this game were just for testing), it also depends on how you use it, though (do you check paths every (120) frame(s) or do you want to have it more accurate etc.).

Moreover, I like the blood-effects most I think, although its unfortunate that all body's remain in one piece Wink

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 64
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-05-09 16:58:45 »

Sounds and looks great, its the kind of game I love to play: turtle in and slaughter anything that comes!

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-05-09 19:55:15 »

The sprites remind me of the original Lemmings game. I'm loving it! Smiley
You're the *third* person to tell me that, lol. Smiley

I guess there's only so many ways to animate a 7 pixel high character.  Grin

The projects looks really cool!

Out of interest, could you explain a little more about how the path finding works?  I have never implemented A* before, so I don't know, but would performing A* path finding on 5k entities usually perform poorly?

I ask because I will need to eventually implement some kind of path-finding in my current project and am just now looking into the different options.  Are you somehow pre-determining and storing known paths (you mentioned getting rid of extra un-needed data) ..

Best way I can think to explain my pathfinding is:
1. My pathfinding works by storing a ton of 0, 1 and 2s in a 2D byte array that's the height/width of the map. 0 is an unchecked tile, 1 is a tile needing to be checked and 2 is either a blocked, or already checked tile.
2. It runs a large while loop (the biggest resource hog), in that loop, the very first run, it only checks the destination tile
3. When it checks the tile, it then checks the 9 tiles around it and "parents" those tiles to the destination tile (Points an arrow to it, as seen in my visual example above)
4. Stores the coordinates and parent info of each checked tile into a master ArrayList used for later.
5. Then, it checks all 9 tiles *just* checked again, looking at the 9 around it. Any tile that is marked 0 in the byte array then has it's coordinates stored into the temporary ArrayList to be checked on the next cycle.
6. Next cycle runs, it checks all the coordinates stored in the temporary arraylist, and repeats all the steps over and over expanding out it's search pattern. Since it ignores blocked tiles, when you visualize an animation of this process the arrows look like water flowing through the map around walls/cliffs/etc.
7. As soon as at least ONE arrow touches the starting point (remember, we started this from the destination) the while loop stops, and calls that arrow the "shortest route".

then.. it builds the path (using the master ArrayList from step 4)
1. It takes the coordinates in the ArrayList for the path that contacted the other end first, and asks what it's parent coordinates are. Stores the data of the current block in a final ArrayList.
2. Repeats again on the parent coordinates.
3. Repeats over and over until it tracks all the way back to the destination.
4. Takes that ArrayList of coordinates it built, and returns it to whatever class was asking for the path (the entities usually) to be used to actually walk the path in it's own code.

Here's a screenshot of an entity on a really short path, so you can see the start, end, and the "spread" pattern
CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZE: http://sixtygig.com/junk/InDev-2014-05-09-3.png

The main reasons it's so fast:
- It never has to cycle through the entire map. It just needs to know where the edges are so it doesn't go beyond them.
- It heavily relies on byte[mapHeight][mapWidth] (in this case [256][256]) arrays to track most of the data.
- When it runs the while loop, instead of checking the entire byte[][] array for "checkable points" it only has to check all the points assigned by the temporary arraylist, so there no need to search the byte[][] array at all, it just calls up all the points in the ArrayList and checks them.
- It removes all of A*'s terrain movement cost and basic heuristic data, so I cut out 2 or 3 int[][] arrays in the process to track movement costs. (Movement cost stuff is well explained here, and you can probably imagine how it adds a lot of additional data to check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNXfSOx4eEE )
(EDIT: To kinda explain what I mean, if you watch the video, mine parents arrows like in the tutorial but does NOT have the H, G or F costs at all, and still always finds the same path A* would have anyway. Technically A* may be able to do this in less checks, but my checks run so much faster it doesn't matter.)

Also, I'm not sure if you have already implemented these features yet, but it would be good to see some screenshots of how the resources look, are gathered  and how they are transported?  This game looks like I would enjoy just making stockpiles of items for my village geenration Smiley

They're not coded yet, but think Warcraft 2-like.

The plan as of this moment:
With wood for example; Basically the villagers will go from a source building (Like a lumber mill) back and forth from trees, slowly cutting down the forest as they go.

Each villager will also have a mini-inventory, that will store a few items. For example, if you want your villagers to go chop wood, they first have to head to the lumbermill and pickup an axe, and they can only hold a few tools at once. So if you overwork a villager he'll have to waste time putting tools back. Alternatively, your villager may be able to hold a few bandages, healing potions, or something like that in those slots instead if he doesnt fill them up with tools/junk. This could help him if he's attacked, he could chug a potion while he's running away.

As for how they stockpile, I'm not sure yet. I want it to take of physical space on the map (so hording becomes a problem). But I am unsure how at the moment. Maybe a combination of "storage buildings" and allowing you to stack items outside in designated spots.

Moreover, I like the blood-effects most I think, although its unfortunate that all body's remain in one piece Wink

They'll be many more death and "dead body" animations. Right now I just have the basics. Eventually the guys will be able to be blown up, torched, disintegrated, melted, etc. (depending on how the poor guy died)

Sounds and looks great, its the kind of game I love to play: turtle in and slaughter anything that comes!

Thats the idea! Cheesy

Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-05-10 04:58:11 »

Hey, BTW, ray, can you share the source for this? It doesnt have to be publicly I'm just really interested in this path finding and orgasmic shadows.  Tongue
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-05-10 05:14:19 »

Hey, BTW, ray, can you share the source for this? It doesnt have to be publicly I'm just really interested in this path finding and orgasmic shadows.  Tongue

I'm not quite ready to share the pathfinding source yet, I want to make absolutely sure it's working as it should. Wink

The shadows are actually very simple, all it's doing is checking the map for a tile, if it's there, it plops a shadow sprite under it. The confusing part is getting the time of day and rotating the shadow around with Graphics. But it's actually not all that complicated at all, just takes a lot of tweaking to get it just right.

(EDIT: This code was designed specifically for a 8x8 tile map, you'll have to change some values to work with a different size map, mainly the rendering forloops)
http://www.java-gaming.org/?action=pastebin&id=925

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-05-10 23:20:44 »

Fast-rendering, dynamic lighting, that is actually based off my pathfinding algorithm! Imagine that?

Offline Drenius
« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-05-10 23:35:59 »

Looks good, very smooth!
Offline Bearded Cow

Medals: 2

¬..¬

« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-05-10 23:44:06 »

Just because Rayvolution hasn't mention, They're stream is up now. Come and join. Tongue http://www.twitch.tv/sg_rayvolution
Offline SwordsMiner

Head of the Indie Developing team Revereor.

« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-05-10 23:52:40 »

[derail] If you don't mind me asking, how did you do your text, I have tried for ages and cant get text working. Im using the same libraries you do, slick and lwjgl. [/derail]

- The one and only, SwordsMiner.
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-05-11 01:42:22 »

[derail] If you don't mind me asking, how did you do your text, I have tried for ages and cant get text working. Im using the same libraries you do, slick and lwjgl. [/derail]

I use the AngleCodeFont class and a custom font I made. Wink

http://slick.ninjacave.com/javadoc/org/newdawn/slick/AngelCodeFont.html
http://www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-05-11 21:15:05 »

WheeeeeEeeEeeeEeee!

Offline Drenius
« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-05-11 21:19:56 »

Oooch headache.
A day-night-cycle?
Looks interesting.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 65
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Radirius Software Developer

« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-05-11 22:43:15 »

The room in the bottom-left should not be effected by shadows, should it? There is a light there!

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #22 - Posted 2014-05-11 23:58:06 »

The room in the bottom-left should not be effected by shadows, should it? There is a light there!

If you look closely, the shadow is blending with the light I believe, compare it to the one on the right. I could be completely mistaken though.

Those shadows make me feel lightheaded. Good job!
Will there be a download out at any point soon?

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #23 - Posted 2014-05-12 00:23:08 »

You're correct, the shadows are just so much darker than the light that it's overriding it. I haven't gotten the shadows and lights blending with each other yet, once I do that shouldn't happen anymore. I did correct it a little bit since posting that gif though, but it's not quite how I want it yet. Wink

Will there be a download out at any point soon?

I might release a basic tech demo soon, but since there's no real "gameplay" yet it would be just a technology demo, with controls to play with day/night cycles, add mobs/villagers, etc. I was hoping to get resource gathering and basic building done before I released a tech demo, that way you can at least plop buildings down and watch the AI run around, even if there's no real game play yet. But we'll see. Cheesy

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #24 - Posted 2014-05-13 20:49:22 »

Started working on the basic GUI, still a bit rough. But the sidebars on the left and right swoop in and out and it's starting to have some basic functionality.

The current plan for the GUI:
- Top tab shows all your current villagers, and a clickable dropdown box listing the all in order of their character level, clicking on one will take you to him on the map.
- Right tab is your build tab, controls all building of all kinds.
- Left tab is your resources tab, listing all the various raw materials on hand.
- Bottom tab will be your minimap/information panel.

Online pploco1996

« Reply #25 - Posted 2014-05-14 02:13:19 »

Lights!!! *-*

How did you do the dinamic lighting?

Library or self-made?

Any link you can provide?

Thanks  Cheesy
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #26 - Posted 2014-05-14 02:20:36 »

Lights!!! *-*

How did you do the dinamic lighting?

Library or self-made?

Any link you can provide?

Thanks  Cheesy

Self-made, it's based on a variation of my pathfinding system's search pattern, just instead of finding a path, it assigns a light level at all the places it checks. The distance it checks is based on how "bright" the light is. Wink

Online pploco1996

« Reply #27 - Posted 2014-05-14 02:41:59 »

Self-made, it's based on a variation of my pathfinding system's search pattern, just instead of finding a path, it assigns a light level at all the places it checks. The distance it checks is based on how "bright" the light is. Wink

Do you really only have 1 year of experience as your profile says?

You do very cool stuff.
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #28 - Posted 2014-05-14 04:52:45 »

Do you really only have 1 year of experience as your profile says?

You do very cool stuff.

Well, I guess it's closer to 1 and a half years now, but I spent about 4 or 5 months in the middle somewhere not programming at all while I was working on my minecraft resource pack (http://resourcepack.sixtygig.com). So total actual hands on programming experience is probably still about a year~.

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #29 - Posted 2014-05-16 08:34:25 »

I've decided that TilEd and Slick2d's build in TiledMap class just wasn't cutting it for this project, so I have completely scrapped the core tile engine, and have started work on my own custom tiled engine written from scratch to handle maps for this project. No worries though, all the other fancy code is safe and sound, I'm just making a new engine to handle the maps themselves. Once the new engine is complete, I'll plug it back into the original game and be right back on track. Wink

One of the biggest benefits to this is now I have to make my own map editor, and that's great for you guys because I plan to integrate it directly into the game engine. So now the game will launch packaged with a full featured map editor you can use to make your own maps, and it's built right into the game!

Currently, there isn't much to show off with it. Almost all the current work is under the hood, but so far I've got:

- Up to 2048x2048 maps rendering at 60FPS (Even though a large game map will be 512x512)
- The entire map is stored in only one int[][][] array, making serializing(saving) and loading simple and straight forward.
- The save system runs in another thread (Wohoo! Multithreading!!), so you can continue to work on your map while autosaves run.
- The map editor can already handle map layers and auto transitioning, the terrains screenshot below were made when *one* brush (per terrain of course), and the engine handled piecing all the transition tiles together.
- Due to the map editor being integrated into the game directly, this opens up a huge Pandora's box of possibility in the actual game, the ability to actually change the terrain while you play is a possibility now (Villagers cutting down trees, slicing through mountains, terrain changing based on seasons, etc)
- Random map generation is also a possibility now (but currently not planned)

Few screenshots of the progress, the first is the first day's work, setting up the rendering and handling different tile IDs, the second is much later in development (Today, actually, 2 days later) showing off the terrain-brush tool that handles transitions automatically for easy map making.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (24 views)
2014-07-24 15:59:36

Riven (24 views)
2014-07-24 11:16:32

Riven (18 views)
2014-07-24 11:07:15

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-24 10:56:16

ctomni231 (50 views)
2014-07-18 20:55:21

Zero Volt (45 views)
2014-07-18 13:47:54

danieldean (36 views)
2014-07-18 13:41:23

MustardPeter (39 views)
2014-07-17 13:30:00

Cero (54 views)
2014-07-16 14:42:17

Riven (55 views)
2014-07-15 08:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 17:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 14:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 14:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-18 01:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 23:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-07 05:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-30 12:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-29 03:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org