Games in Android Showcase (225)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (823)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The life of a developer  (Read 1980 times)
Offline Mr.CodeIt

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

« Posted 2014-05-04 04:41:23 »

I find myself spendng hours learning game dev.(More progress now that I'm on the right track) After school, if I have no homework I hit the laptop and start coding for about 6 or 7 hours.(Till I go to bed). Now that I'm learning opengl I'm getting a lot more done but for you professionals out there, Is this normal? I code almost everyday if I'm not on some kind of vacation. Don't get me wrong, I love the code life, but I feel like I used to waste a lot of time on learning and not actually doing which frustrated me at times. With confidence, I continued this for months, almost a year and I just want to know what professionals or people who have years of experience do. Based on some of the projects of the more professional coders, you do a bit more learning I believe.
Offline Maged

Senior Newbie

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-05-04 05:52:19 »

I am not a professional but I will share with you my idea.

About 2 months ago I wanted to start game dev. and decided to go read a tutorial and start following it, after it finished, I started to see how based on what I learnt I can build my own game. From there I start coding and try to build what I want, when I get stuck I go to another tutorial to learn about the part I am stuck with, and the tutorial will not just give you exactly what you need, it will instead teach you a few more extra things.

My point is, don't spend all the time trying to learn everything, and when you go to learn something try to learn a bit more things around that thing Smiley.
Offline 65K
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-05-04 11:08:57 »

Don't know what your exact concern is.
Is neverending learning normal ? Yes it is, particularly as software developer.
The trick is to know what to skip. My time is very limited and I do game programming without almost any OpenGL knowledge.
You want to actually create games ? Then just do that as recommended here many times. Use a higher level framework and go.
Besides that, learning programming from scratch by trying to create realtime games is basically a bad idea. Learn the basics first, write small applications and round based games maybe.

Lethal Running - a RPG about a deadly game show held in a futuristic dysoptian society.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Opiop
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-05-04 15:22:00 »

Can't stress that enough. What 65K said. If you want to make games, forget about actually learning OpenGL. Maybe have a basic understanding of how it works so you can debug your programs, but you don't need to know how to buffer data to the graphics card, how to load textures etc... I'm using LibGDX right now to make mobile games, and trust me, if I didn't have this library I would not even be attempting what I'm doing right now. Game dev isn't about the programming, its about the ideas and getting them from paper into the game. The technology shouldn't limit you, leave that up to the engine developers. You as a game dev must focus on shaping the game into something that people will actually play.
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-05-04 15:44:58 »

The best way to learn how to program games is to program games. I started a project two months ago without any knowledge of the library I wanted to make it in. It came out fine, an I learned alot. Game devs make games, so go make one  Smiley
Offline kpars
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-05-05 19:13:36 »

This depends on what role you decide to have in the game industry.

If you're a professional game 'developer', you're going to have a specific role regardless. The title 'game developer' itself doesn't really make sense in a professional environment, but if you decide to stay 'indie' and finish your projects on your own, then I would say it's fair to call yourself a 'game developer' since you're filling in most roles by yourself, albeit on a smaller scale. It seriously just depends on what role you play in the magical world of making games.

There are 4 specific categories that fall into game development, which I'm sure you've heard of: Art, Music, Design, and Programming. A person with the 'game developer' title usually fills in one of these roles, but I wish people would be more specific when they call themselves that.

Are you a video game artist? Are you a video game musician? Are you a video game designer? Are you a video game programmer? I end up having to ask this to everybody who calls themself a 'developer'. There's a common misconception out there which states that 'game programming == game development == game design'. This is incredibly inaccurate, and please don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

I can't really help you out much here since I'm not a 'professional' game developer, but I felt I should just clear that up before this thread continues. I know, it's some-what irrelevant, but I hope you get the point. Cranky

- Jev
Offline pitbuller
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-05-05 19:17:32 »

I am professional graphic programmer and I use about as much time to learning new stuff that I use implementing actual code.
Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 99
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-05-07 06:39:35 »

From my experience, I think that the time I've spent learning actually is greater than my time actually writing code. If I were to give an estimate it is somewhere between 70% learning and 30% application. I'm not a professional myself, but I strongly believe in preparing and knowing about the code you write.

Sadly, though, I'm looking at it from a programmers point of view now...

When I first started programming, I really didn't know much. I just wanted to produce something cool. So I saw something close, and I tried to Frankenstein it into something worthwhile. When I was successful, I tried to learn what parts caused it to work and wrote things down.

After a while, all that writing makes a good toolset. So I was able to keep going for harder and harder stuff. Not to mention that it gave me an outlet to effectively use my math. The toolset just keeps growing, and I keep rising to the challenge. Each time there is something I don't know, I'm determined to find a workaround.

For me, there is no end to this cycle. You can't know everything about programming, so you have to keep challenging yourself to do more. Game making is just one way of getting more knowledge. The fact that you chose programming comes with a price tag, you will have to know about the language you are writing in enough or perish.

There are easier ways to "just make games" out there, and yet people still flock to these heavy technologies. Find your focus, and know what you want to create. Then, use what technology you are building in to build the best you can. Sometimes what you are looking for is literally under your nose.  Pointing

Offline Buzzyboy
« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-05-08 12:01:24 »

Even with 7 years experience with Java. I think I could easily say that 25% of my time is still research, and this is a minimum. It's just the way it works. I've also read testimonials from professional game developers that they spend up to 50% of their time on research.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

Ecumene (108 views)
2017-09-30 02:57:34

theagentd (135 views)
2017-09-26 18:23:31

cybrmynd (245 views)
2017-08-02 12:28:51

cybrmynd (240 views)
2017-08-02 12:19:43

cybrmynd (238 views)
2017-08-02 12:18:09

Sralse (252 views)
2017-07-25 17:13:48

Archive (864 views)
2017-04-27 17:45:51

buddyBro (1007 views)
2017-04-05 03:38:00

CopyableCougar4 (1567 views)
2017-03-24 15:39:42

theagentd (1373 views)
2017-03-24 15:32:08
List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:05:44

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:04:45

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:45:19

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:44:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:56

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:32

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:37:51
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org