games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  How safe am I?  (Read 1385 times)
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Posted 2014-05-02 23:09:26 »

So, I'm making a multiplayer game. I told my parents about it and vaguely explained how my server was going to work. (I 100% knew they didn't understand) I explained to them about the fact that I had to use my IP address for the server.

They instantly started freaking out. They thought that because of my server using the IP address that they were going to get hacked.

This got me thinking.

What if their radical thinking actually was correct?

So, I have a few questions:

• If I did use my IP address in the server would I get hacked? (Never giving the IP to anyone)
  • If I did use my IP address in the server would I get hacked? (Actually sharing the IP address)
  • If they even did have my IP, would it really matter?
  • If any of these are true, how could I fix this to make it safer? (So my parents don't flip out again)

Thanks in advance!
Offline Drenius
« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:18:17 »

There will probably not be many people who would have any interest in doing so until you reach to build some kind of massive network for whatever on it.
And if you have one, a home server is possibly not enough anyway.
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:19:23 »

So, in your theory Drenius, there is nothing to worry about?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 744
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:20:18 »

I know your IP and every website you visit knows your IP.

All modern virusses don't target your IP, but the content of the websites you visit, trying to inject some javascript into a webpage that exploits a browser or plugin. That is the danger these days. Hackers couldn't care less about your IP.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:20:58 »

Your IP address is public knowledge. You almost certainly send it to every web site you visit.

Your firewall at home will most likely try to block anything connecting to your server, so you would have to understand how to configure it correctly.

Offline Drenius
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:21:25 »

Many people, especially those who have no actual idea about what they are talking about, tend to be afraid like hell of "hackers" nowadays.
There are dangers, but not like they might think.
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:26:39 »

Ya, my parents are still under the impression that everyone on the internet is either a child predator or a hacker who is going to steal your money. And then they ground me when I try to teach them about how the REAL internet is.
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 75
Exp: 3 years

Radirius Software Developer

« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:34:19 »

Cracker*

- Jev Smiley

Check out #JGO on EsperNet IRC! | Check out the MERCury 2D Java Game Library! | Also, Check out My Site
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:35:47 »

Racism much!
Just kidding, I'm not that dumb!
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:38:23 »

Back in my day, Hackers weren't security breakers that were horribly portrayed by the media.

Hackers are people who are passionate about programming and as well have a love for playful cleverness.

Now, stop it with your 'Hackers', or else Richard Stallman is going to smother his beard in your face.

- Jev Smiley

EDIT: Wow, my grammar fell apart here. Fixed.

Check out #JGO on EsperNet IRC! | Check out the MERCury 2D Java Game Library! | Also, Check out My Site
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Medals: 147
Exp: 1 year

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:41:49 »

Ya, my parents are still under the impression that everyone on the internet is either a child predator or a hacker who is going to steal your money. And then they ground me when I try to teach them about how the REAL internet is.

Typical intellectually underdeveloped and emotionally immature parents who shouldn't be raising kids. I feel for you.

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Survival Sim/Builder/Roguelike!
LIVE-STREAMING DEVELOPMENT: http://www.twitch.tv/SG_Rayvolution
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:47:48 »

I think it would be hilarious if you told your parents that your IP adress was public knowledge, and they freaked out even more, cutting you off from internet entirely hahaha
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:49:31 »

Haha, I told them that. And then I started talking about how my firewall will block everything. And they started freaking out about how I dont have an anti-virus. I told them that they were useless. And they did not like that. Tongue
Offline Drenius
« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:51:15 »

Print out the AV discussion thats been here lately.

EDIT: this one
Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:51:33 »

I wouldn't go so far as to say an antivirus is useless. For example, I haven't had a bacterial or viral infection for years, so I guess I don't need my immune system? The phenomenon here is herd immunity - because antivrus is widespread, you can get away without having one yourself. But if no-one had antivirus, then viruses would be much more prevalent.

I know, if you are smart and sensible and aware, you can get by without AV. But I am not always smart, sensible and aware.

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:53:15 »

Haha, I told them that. And then I started talking about how my firewall will block everything. And they started freaking out about how I dont have an anti-virus. I told them that they were useless. And they did not like that. Tongue

Give them a calendar, pointing to the year 2014. Now give them a calendar point to the year 2004. Back in 2004 everybody needed an anti-virus and you were lucky to find a computer that didn't have Bonzi Buddy on it. I can and can't believe that was a full 10 years ago. Times have changed, people have some-what developed from the Bonzi Buddy age. Too bad your parents haven't.

I wonder what would happen if you booted into GNU/Linux in front of them.
They would probably believe that you were breaking into the pentagon. Sad

Perhaps they are watching too much Dateline?

- Jev

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-05-03 00:12:41 »

Perhaps they are watching too much Dateline?

- Jev

ugh.. that show. It's such blatant fear mongering television. I can't believe how many people still watch it when there's so much evidence that proves 90% of the crap they talk about on that show is exaggerated bullshit.

*starts ranting and mumbling to himself under his breath*

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-05-03 01:10:55 »

This is just me, but I wouldn't use my home computer for a public server. Not because of security risks, because not many people would care enough, but because of the network usage.. My ISP is already stingy enough

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-05-03 01:11:25 »

-snip-
ugh.. that show. It's such blatant fear mongering television. I can't believe how many people still watch it when there's so much evidence that proves 90% of the crap they talk about on that show is exaggerated bullshit.
-snip-

Almost as bad as Peter Popoff.

Anyways, back onto the topic.

- Jev

Offline Rayvolution

JGO Kernel

Resident Crazyman

« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-05-03 04:40:18 »

This is just me, but I wouldn't use my home computer for a public server. Not because of security risks, because not many people would care enough, but because of the network usage.. My ISP is already stingy enough

Not to mention most ISPs (In the U.S. and Europe anyway) usually offer decent download bandwidths around 40-60 megabits, but their upload bandwidth are usually 10megebits or less, and upload bandwidth are actually more important when running a server.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 343
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-05-03 10:50:32 »

An IP address on its own it not much for a hacker to get excited about... however you're going to advertise your IP address with a public service, which will instantly make your IP address much more interesting to malicious people who just want to break into your server. Your service however is not valuable to them in any way; you are more likely simply to attract oddbobs who want to have a bit of fun breaking your server for shits and giggles. There is unlikely anything else they can do with it and no motivation other than idle malice to do so.

Cas Smiley

Online Phased
« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-05-03 10:58:45 »

go buy the cheapest server you can (http://www.123systems.net/ they have been pretty reliable for me, most likely you only need 1gb or 2b max) that has enough performance for what you need.

IF your game suddenly happens to become huge and your cheap server cant handle it, you can just change to a new company where your getting a better server.

IF your game turns out that you don't get the thousands of players you intended, you lost $50 (most likely $30 max) max for a years worth of server hosting to what you can recover from and try a new game and use the same server to host your game.

This $20-$50 you spent for 1 years worth of hosting saved you in electricity bill, which probably would of cost more if you used a home server based on the fact you had a spare computer. if you had to build a new computer to host the server, well you just saved a few hundred initial cost.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (6 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (20 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (8 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (39 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (50 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (42 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org