Games in Android Showcase (115)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Manipulating FloatBuffers  (Read 3773 times)
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Posted 2004-01-27 05:53:41 »

since i want to use vertex arrays for animations (md2, interpolating between keyframes), and jogl's vertex arrays only accept FloatBuffers instead of floatarrays, i need to manipulate the FloatBuffers data.

with gl4java, i had no problem with this method - i could easily calculate the vertexdata and put it directly into the already existing floatarray, which was faster than lots gl*-commands.

i don't want to use the put-method, because this could kill the advantage i'd had by using vertex arrays.
so how to change the FloatBuffers data ?
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-01-27 10:37:17 »

did really no one uses vertex arrays for animations ?
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 379
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-01-27 10:55:34 »

What's wrong with put()? That's what you're meant to use!

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-01-27 11:07:06 »

did you look at the sourcecode ?
put(float[])
puts every value into theFloatBuffer by using a for-loop.
it doesn't use the array i give it as its backing array.

this is a waste of time - i have to calculate the vertex data, and then copy it using a for loop.
why can't i put it directly into the float[], that is backing the buffer up ?

except, of course, the get and set-methods of a floatbuffer are as fast as the array access.
i wrote a simple class with an int, a setter, and a getter.
the direct access was WAY faster (3-4 times if i remebr correctly) than the access by getX() and setX()
Offline pepijnve

Java games rock!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-01-27 11:54:49 »

Jogl uses direct buffers because these are not shifted around by the garbage collector. Direct buffers don't use a backing array (at least not one that is accessible from the java side), so what you are asking for isn't possible.
It is possible to create Buffer wrappers around arrays using the ByteBuffer.wrap, FloatBuffer.wrap, ... but you won't be able to pass these buffers to jogl since it checks whether the buffers are direct or not.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-01-27 13:01:17 »

In other words - abstract out all your float array access and replace all array access with put() and get() on a direct float buffer. Problem solved!

Cas Smiley

Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-01-27 13:11:57 »

is there an alternative (writing my own implementation of a floatbuffer ?) ?

if not : what is the fastest way to replace the buffered data ?

put every value per put myself, or clear the buffer, and then put(float[]) ?

Angry i hate this encapsuling.

sun is slowing java down a lot this way. i wrote my own implementation of a List, and it's twice as fast as the arraylist, no matter if you add, set or get an object.
you don't even have to cast the elements if you iterate through the array Grin used a little hack there, but here, i get a 300% speed boost without breaking the rules of the list interface.
and guess what ? it's even able to refuse objects that are no instances of class xyz for free...no extra checking....
Offline abies

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-01-27 14:53:03 »

It would be interesting to see implementation of this List thing. There are few not-so-obvious traps with writing your own collection classes and they do cost a perfomance when you add a code to avoid them.

Artur Biesiadowski
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-01-27 18:59:45 »

Hamster, stop dealing with float[]s in the first place. If you don't want to copy data, don't copy data. Write directly to AGP RAM where you want it to go in the first place.

Cas Smiley

Offline jeickmann

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-01-27 19:23:33 »

Hi,

first the reason, why I think that JoGL uses FloatBuffers (and not float[]):
With Java 1.4, there is now a JNI (the interface that allows to call C function from Java, e.g. the GL-Calls) method, that allows the C function to get a pointer to a Buffer-Object. This way, there is no copying around when you pass the FloatBuffer to the native glVertexPointer.
This of course only works with FloatBuffers that are direct and thus have no backing float[]

Concerning your problem I see two ways:
1) put them in the FloatBuffer with put(float[]). I haven't looked at the code, but if you say, there's just a for loop in there, it won't be slower than writing the for loop yourself.
And if Sun decides to somehow optimize this (I couldn't think about any way right now, but...), you will get that optimisation for free.

2) use a vertex shader to do the interpolation. I haven't done it, yet, but you should be able to pass both positions to the vertex-shader as varying parameters plus a weighting between the positions that changes over time.
This also allow you to use static Vertex Buffer Objects, so all the data stays on the Graphics card and you don't have the AGP as a bottleneck.
Since Vertex-Shaders are supported starting from Geforce 1/Radeon 8500, the hardware-requirements don't get too much out of hand.

Personally, I think solution 2 is both faster and cleaner, unless you also want to target older cards.

Jan
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-01-28 07:48:34 »

2) use a vertex shader to do the interpolation. I haven't done it, yet, but you should be able to pass both positions to the vertex-shader as varying parameters plus a weighting between the positions that changes over time.
This also allow you to use static Vertex Buffer Objects, so all the data stays on the Graphics card and you don't have the AGP as a bottleneck.
Since Vertex-Shaders are supported starting from Geforce 1/Radeon 8500, the hardware-requirements don't get too much out of hand.

now this sounds interesting.
since i never worked with vertex shaders yet (i thought they are used to render shadows?), do you have a sample code or tutorial ?
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-01-28 07:51:44 »

It would be interesting to see implementation of this List thing. There are few not-so-obvious traps with writing your own collection classes and they do cost a perfomance when you add a code to avoid them.

i'll post it in ~6 hours.
its only disadvantage so far is that is has no iterator, but since you can iterate through per for-loop, this doesn't really matter.
Offline jeickmann

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-01-28 10:47:56 »

now this sounds interesting.
since i never worked with vertex shaders yet (i thought they are used to render shadows?), do you have a sample code or tutorial ?

Sorry, I don't have any sample-code, as I'm pretty new to shaders as well. I would suggest using Cg (or GLSL) if you don't want the assembler-hassle.
On nehe.gamedev.net, there is a simple vertex shader tutorial that should get you started together with the Cg-Documentation from NVIDIA.
The theory for the keyframe interpolation is as follows:

The vertex shader is executed per vertex and has to output a transformed vertex (and lit, if you want lighting, so you have to implement the lighting equation for yourself, but you should find info for that both on NVIDIAs and ATIs developer pages).

For each vertex, you can give several parameters: e.g. position, normal, color,... You can also have custom parameters. So in these custom parameters, you pass a second position (and normal) for the second keyframe.

Also, you can set parameters that are the same for all vertices. This would be your weighting of the two keyframes. In your vertex shader, you just linearly interpolate the two positions (and normals) using the weight you have.
This gives you the interpolated position with which you can then work (multiplying by model-view-matrix, calculating lighting, etc).

As I haven't done much with shaders, yet, maybe someone who has already played around a bit more can give some comment, etc.

Jan
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-01-28 14:20:59 »

FastVector postet at "shared something"-section
Offline Mojomonkey

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-01-28 14:29:19 »

Maybe I'm confused, but if you only want to change a single float value at a time why not just use: put(int index, float f) ?

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-01-29 05:10:42 »

for animations, i have to change every float.
so i either have to do a lot of puts (lots of method calls + java = bad), or do a lot of calculations, save them in a float array and then copy all floats via put(float[]), which means saving every float value 2 times. bad.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-01-29 07:32:51 »

You are entirely mistaken. Lots of method calls + java == very good, better than C++ usually, although in this case you have the overhead of a bounds check on each invocation of put().

1. the client VM inlines the put() method.
2. the sever VM actually hoists the bounds checks out if it can, and replaces put() with a single asm instruction.

It's fast enough. Sounds like you're complaining before you've even determined if there is actually a performance bottleneck?

Cas Smiley

Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-01-29 07:50:02 »

client VM ?
server VM ?

which one should i use, and how to choose ?
any why are there 2 types of vm ?
----
however, looks like the jit does some optimization that i didn't know about....but the interpolation using vertex shaders still shouls be faster  Grin

i'll run a benchmark using put(float) and put(float[]) and see which method is the best.

----
yes, i'm complaining before there is a bottleneck. but there will be, since i'm going to render a LOT of animated models using keyframe interpolation.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-01-29 08:48:13 »

which one should i use, and how to choose ?
any why are there 2 types of vm ?

There's two types of VM because the Sun engineers haven't got off their collective lazy arses and merged them into one VM with two-stage compilation, that's why Cool Right now, the client VM does very little useful optimisation, and starts up pretty fast, but it's generally about 20-50% slower than the server VM for a lot of operations. In a game this will end up amounting to maybe a 5-10% reduction in frame rate.

The server VM does a whole bunch of cleverer optimisations - the ones that people mistakenly say is why Java is so much faster than C++ and then go on to use the crap client VM - but it takes (age_of_universe + 1) to start your game. (I released my game with the server VM at first and had a few people complaining that it had "hung" when in fact it was just churning through compilation at startup).

If you're really doing serious stuff the server VM is the way to go, and you'll just have to put up with the slow startup time or you won't get the performance you want. In the end though this brings me to my final point...

i'll run a benchmark using put(float) and put(float[]) and see which method is the best.

put(float[]) is always going to be much faster but that involves you doing all your manipulation on the float array first. This is actually much less of a deal than you think. If you're doing any serious poly pushing you need to use AGP RAM anyway - and you can't read from AGP RAM (unless you want to run at 10fps Tongue ). The server VM, I think, optimises put(float[]) especially as well.

----

yes, i'm complaining before there is a bottleneck. but there will be, since i'm going to render a LOT of animated models using keyframe interpolation.

JeffK will hopefully come along soon to back me up and rant at you, but you're making a Classic Programmers Mistake when you say this, and if you don't listen to us now, you'll only find out later!

Don't do this kind of optimisation until you have finished the unit you are working on and profiled it for bottlenecks. You will almost certainly find that this is not a bottleneck. You will almost certainly find that your OpenGL drivers are going to be the bottleneck. If you try and do clever stuff to speed it up now you'll end up with a mess that doesn't work very well.

Cas Smiley

Offline overnhet

Java games rock!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-01-29 09:17:06 »

DISCLAIMER : I am just beginning OpenGL and I don't have experienced animation yet. Therefore this post may be worthless Smiley

I can't see why you interpolate vertex data in software.

The way I understand keyframed animation, you only need to interpolate the transforms being applied to your models, then you apply those new transforms using standard OpenGL calls. That way, you can store your data in VBO/VAR and have the GPU do almost all the stuff.

Did I missed something ?
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-01-29 10:57:49 »

I can't see why you interpolate vertex data in software.

Did I missed something ?

Yes, keyframed animation is heavy on the memory requirements, and if your game is trying to hit 60fps then you can't realistically store a keyframe every 60th of a second.

Compare Quake1 character animation (@ 15fps IIRC) which isn't interpolated and looks strangly juddery with Quake2 animation which is.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline d3

Senior Newbie

o(_._)o

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-01-29 11:11:58 »

might be interesting as well

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20030325/fernando_01.shtml
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-01-29 11:24:03 »

I think the infinitely simpler EXT_vertex_weighting extension will do interpolation with the greatest of ease and involve minimal memory writes.

Cas Smiley

Offline jeickmann

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-01-29 11:39:43 »

I think the infinitely simpler EXT_vertex_weighting extension will do interpolation with the greatest of ease and involve minimal memory writes.

Cas Smiley

Yep, except the spec says the following:

NVIDIA no longer supports this extension in driver updates after November 2002.  Instead, use either ARB_vertex_program & NV_vertex_program.

And as far as I can see, it has never really been supported by any other vendors anyway.
(http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/extsupport.php?extension=GL_EXT_vertex_weighting)
Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-01-29 13:09:17 »

i know i shouldn't optimize by guessing what will be the best.

and i won't. i'll implement several methods that do the job (including the standard-put-operation)
and then use the best one, and proably the putter^^ as a fallback if extension xyz is not supported.

i don't really care if the put-method is "fast enough". it may be, it may be not. what i care about is if there is a way that does the same, but significantly faster (vertex program?)

but now that i'm interested in it : where to find a tutorial about vertex programs ?
Offline jeickmann

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-01-29 13:43:56 »

Try this one:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=47

currently there's not JoGL port of it, but it shouldn't be too hard to get the concepts from the C++ version.
You might also want to get the Cg-Users Guide from NVIDIA. It's more of a reference but gives some good pointers.
For the Cg in JoGL to work, you need the Cg-Runtime from NVIDIA as well. I would suggest just to download the everything.zip from their site.

Once you know how to get your vertex programs set up in GL , etc. take a look at the following concepts: varying parameters (for the second position and normal), uniform parameters (for the weighting factor), and the lerp() function for the linear interpolation.
If you get a working example, it would be great if you can post some info here, as I'll probably have to do something similar in the next couple of months.

Jan
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-01-30 07:11:14 »

Hm, ARB_vertex_program isn't exactly well supported either - forces you more or less onto Radeon/GeForce class hardware. The trouble is with extensions and writing "real" software is that you must always write a fallback that uses no extensions or you'll just end up with software that only works 50% of the time :/

Cas Smiley

Offline HamsterofDeath

Java games rock!

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-01-30 09:50:42 »

Hm, ARB_vertex_program isn't exactly well supported either - forces you more or less onto Radeon/GeForce class hardware. The trouble is with extensions and writing "real" software is that you must always write a fallback that uses no extensions or you'll just end up with software that only works 50% of the time :/

Cas Smiley

is there any non geforce/radeon card out there ?
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-01-30 10:19:53 »

A reasonable number of Rage 128s, S3s, Matrox G200/400/450/500/550s. I'll check my logs and see how they're all doing this weekend.

Cas Smiley

Offline jeickmann

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-01-30 11:02:54 »

A reasonable number of Rage 128s, S3s, Matrox G200/400/450/500/550s. I'll check my logs and see how they're all doing this weekend.

Cas Smiley

You are right, a fallback solution is needed for those cards. Nevertheless, I think, this should not mean, that you always just use what all cards support. Otherwise, you will end up always coding for OpenGL 1.1.
So fallback yes, but advanced rendering paths as well. I personally use the rule, that you provide fallback for all stuff, that is necesarry to make the app usable. For eye-candy, it depends on the amount of work and the impact of the effect.

Jan
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

radar3301 (11 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (29 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (19 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (27 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (47 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (102 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (50 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org