News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Syniobots [Desktop]  (Read 2461 times)
Offline Bone008
« Posted 2014-04-25 20:01:25 »

=== Overview ===
Syniobots is a 3D action game that allows you to build your own robot to fight against waves of enemy robots. Killing enemies gives you scrap metal and new parts to enhance your robot.
You can design your own robot with over 30 different items, including weapons, wheels and special items. You can freely assign keys to your weapons to activate them.

The game can be played both in singleplayer and multiplayer, the objective right now is to survive as many waves as possible. You have to defend a shielded core in the center of the map, you lose when it is destroyed.

It is far from being completely finished, but it is pretty playable Smiley

=== Download ===
Check out our Facebook page for more information and more screenshots.
If you want a direct download link, here you go.

=== Technical information ===
The game is based on LWJGL and functional on Windows, Mac and Linux. You need at least Java 6 to run it.
What you are downloading is a launcher, which updates to the latest version.

This has been my hobby project for the past year. A friend of mine does the 3d models, I do the programming.
All feedback is appreciated Smiley Enjoy!

PS: Since there is no complete ingame tutorial yet, please let me know if you have any trouble understanding something! Evaluating the new user experience is an important task right now.
Offline Drenius
« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-04-25 20:03:35 »

Wow, sounds like an interesting and afaik new concept!
Will check it out now.

EDIT:
Its actually pretty fun!
But is there the possibility to rotate the roboter while modifying it?
Oh, and having to click an click and click is very annoying, could you add autofire?

EDIT2:
And the shield would possibly look nicer if it was spheric, if thats somewhen possible.
Offline SauronWatchesYou
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-04-25 20:12:13 »

Sounds awesome, download it after I finish with this install Emo
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SauronWatchesYou
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-04-25 20:31:05 »

Awesome so far, I have some work I have to do Sad but so far it's fun. I like the different types of robots and my flamethrower >Smiley
Offline Bone008
« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-04-25 21:14:36 »

Cool! Thanks for testing Smiley Make sure you stick around long enough so you can discover all the items.
Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-04-26 18:43:01 »

Is this your inspiration?!

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline Bone008
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-04-27 00:14:30 »

Is this your inspiration?!
No, I have actually never heard of it before. But it's an interesting thing, maybe we have to add PVP to the game at some point Wink

Oh, and having to click an click and click is very annoying, could you add autofire?

EDIT2:
And the shield would possibly look nicer if it was spheric, if thats somewhen possible.
Automatic weapons actually have auto-fire (for example the SMG and all melee weapons: sawblade, chainsaw, flamethrower). The trick is that when you put them on the same slot/key with a single fire weapon like a pistol, they are slowed down to it. So always make sure to keep them at a separate slot Smiley

Spherical shield ... yeah, would probably be better. I'm just having a really hard time getting transparent rendering to work in the right order. So anything that has a lot of faces looks pretty shitty when I try to render it semi-transparent, so I went with the simplest shape possible Wink

Great to hear that you enjoy the game!
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-04-27 00:20:44 »

This is cool, continue the good work. Smiley

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline Drenius
« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-04-27 00:21:17 »

Is it already possible to bind something to other keys than "1"? If so, how?
Offline Bone008
« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-04-27 00:25:36 »

This is cool, continue the good work. Smiley
Thanks Smiley

Is it already possible to bind something to other keys than "1"? If so, how?
Yes, and it's a pretty important part of the game once you get many different things ^^
In the workbench, you can drag around the symbols on the sidebar on the right (while in the "Modify Robot" tab). Sorry, I forgot to mention that, it's not really obvious nor explained well in the game.
You can also get more keys to work with (2-6) by upgrading your core.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Drenius
« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-04-27 00:30:54 »

You can also get more keys to work with (2-6) by upgrading your core.
Thats the answer I looked for. Since this is less an ability but an interface thing, are you sure that it is a good idea to do it so?
In game purchase should normally ease the gameplay and not the interface...
Offline Bone008
« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-04-27 00:43:49 »

Thats the answer I looked for. Since this is less an ability but an interface thing, are you sure that it is a good idea to do it so?
In game purchase should normally ease the gameplay and not the interface...
Oh nevermind, I misread your post, sorry.
You make a valid point. The reason we did it that way is to require the player to invest into the core if they want more than those 3 different types controllable at the same time. Also, in my experience, having all keys occupied with things is pretty overwhelming and you end up not using most of the fancy tools you got Wink
So the goal was to keep it simple at first but to allow you to wire up complex combinations as time goes on by making the small investion. No idea if this is the optimal solution right now.
Offline Vip3r

Junior Newbie

Exp: 2 years

« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-05-08 18:37:48 »

Damn this looks nice
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print