Hello fellow reader,How much experience do you have?
My name is Stephen Gibson, I currently reside in my bonnie country of Scotland and I am looking for a couple of team members to come join me in my adventures. I regard myself as an "indie developer" and I am in it for 2 things, to create something original and earn money from it. Some might hate the latter but face it, if you can make money from something you thoroughly enjoy doing you better damn well try.
I shall get the obvious questions out of the way before anyone bothers to ask them.
I have around 9-10 month of programming experience, everything I have learned myself by reading or following tutorials. My knowledge will only grow over the coming months as I finally start doing my HND Games Development course.What are you experienced in?
Most of my experience comes from using the LibGDX Library of which I have a firm understanding, besides a few things (mostly anything 3D) I can use the API well enough to bang out a working prototype in a decent time frame.
Of course I am experienced in Java itself, as experienced as I can be with under a year of usage. I feel comfortable with many API's within the Java framework, as well as the syntax itself.Why should I join your team? What is in it for me?
This is of course the biggest question that people ask themselves. Lets get some things out there first, you are not joining my team, you are becoming apart of a team that is run by the members within. Once you join, it is no longer MY team, it is OUR team.You do not work for me, you work with me.
That is a concept I believe in and it is the key to a productive team, you give people freedom and they flourish. This is essential in game development. Everyone must give 110%, everyone will be heard.
Probably the other question people will be asking is, if I join do I get paid anything.
For those people, there is the
Only when we have a solid foundation and a productive team do we even talk about commercial games that can earn money, I am not having my name tarnished for a quick buck, I won't have you doing the same.
As part of this team we will not only code together, we can interact on Skype, play games, help each other out with problems and in general, become friends.
Hell if you live within 50 miles of me I will even COME TO YOU and we can go have a beer, as long as it is proper Ale. None of this bottle crap like Budwieser!Oh Stephen, this all sounds dandy and all but were do you come in?
I will be taking lead of projects, everything goes through me and for a good reason. I have 5+ years experience in team leadership, ranging from games (clans/guilds/whatever), real life jobs (Cleaning supervisor, team leader), student representative (I speak for over 100 students and present their views to the "man").
Does this counteract what I said earlier? That we work as a team and no one is really boss? Well yes and no...
Without direction and harsh decisions, things will go all pear shaped. The difference is, if you have an idea you can bring it forward, I encourage it. If I think it is shit I will tell you it's shit and why I think that, votes will be called and we shall take from that idea the things we like.
You will have a life, we all have hobbies, jobs, *wives* and/or children...it comes first and you will have peace of mind knowing that your position within the team will not be affected.What are you currently working on?
I currently have 2 projects that I spend the majority of my time on, one is unfortunately private as this is to boost my position within the HND class in order to prove that I can do things others can't, to ensure I'm 100% guaranteed a place. Currently as it stands, I could still get told no.
My other projects code is currently private but it has been announced here on the forums. It is called Code 15
and I have not updated the thread in some time.What exactly is Code 15?
It is a top down action shooter that uses LibGDX and the Box2D Physics Engine. My idea for the plot and story line is sort of undecided but I have a rough idea.What have I done so far
So far I have a level loader sorted, working A* path finding algorithm and a AI state machine. The player is implemented to a degree and I have coded in several test weapons. The foundation is there and it can rapidly be expanded.What is your plan of action?
1. Get to know each other, my favourite colour is Green
2. Review the current code together, consider necessary changes but no major refactoring.Post-Code :
1. I want a Level Editor re-created in a different way, this will be the first thing to be done as it makes spawning items and such easier for future testing, the Level editor I have in mind will have real time editing and spawning. The current level loader uses images, this is fine but is also annoying
2. The player needs to be properly coded and implemented, he needs a proper inventory and ways to switch between weapons
3. Basic enemies need to be implemented, currently I have 1 static enemy that can not move. It is basically a sentry turret
4. Expand on the state machine for enemies, currently we have 3 states coded, Idle, Chase and Attack. More will be added such as "flee"
5. Brainstorm a whole bunch of badass items/guns/explosives to be added . Then fix/balance them, remove ones that don't fit etc etc
6. Take time out from coding and brainstorm together story/plots, player name history and such. Get a grasp of were we want to take our core game foundation
7. Do more later
Now that all that stuff is out the way, we can talk about how you can get in on this. I have a few standards that I would like to be met and for a good reason.
This is a list of essentials you will have as a person:
- You MUST be over 18
- Your time-zone must not differentiate any more than 3 hours from each other
- You will be disciplined with time keeping
- Fluent English, accents are another matter as I have a fairly strong one myself!
- Humour is a must, if your sensitive then don't even bother, this brings me to my next point...
- You need to have a stable mind, I do not want some bi-polar emotional wreck coming in and pishing all over someone else's day
This is a list of things you will be able to do as a team member:
Current Free Positions:
- Eclipse - I currently use Android ADT but anything is fine as long as our versions match
- Skype with an acceptable microphone
- Saros Installed - If not, I can talk you through it
- Bitbucket - Understand basic Git commands to push commits
- At least free for 6 hours over the course of a week, minimum
- Code Designer and Programmer
- Level Designer
- Enemy AI programmer and scripter
Interested? PM me or add me on Skype (Gibbo3771).
Questions? Ask away.