Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (547)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Concept, open world sandbox game  (Read 5071 times)
Offline red51
« Posted 2014-03-16 22:02:27 »

Hi everyone!

I’d like to present a game to you, which a colleague and I developed with JMonkeyEngine.

It’s a game that might remind you of "Minecraft", with the main difference being that the world is not made up of blocks but of a normal "smooth" landscape.

The game is simply called "Concept"!

The landscape is completely modifiable without any restrictions – and there are also no restrictions on how you build it up.
To do this you have both simple shapes such as blocks, cylinders, stairs, etc., as well as specific objects such as tables, chairs, beds, etc. – some of which you can interact with.
We will soon be adding more precise construction elements (e.g. wooden planks) to round off your building opportunities.

There are currently around 200 different materials available.

The game does, of course, have multi-player capability. This was a main area of focus from the very start of development.

The game is still in an early alpha stage, i.e. there are lots of things still to be refined: there is no clothing system, there are still no animals or opponents,
vehicles have not yet been integrated into the game, there are no dungeons yet, etc.
However, we have a very long list of planned features, which we intend to provide bit by bit in the form of updates.

The current early alpha version can be purchased for EUR 9.99, and your purchase entitles you to receive all future updates free of charge up to the final version.

We would be delighted if you took a closer look at the game. All of the important information can be found on our website at https://www.concept-game.net/
This also has an overview of all of the important features.

Here are a few screenshots (more on our website):

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-03-16 22:37:29 »

Just as a side note, you said the terrain is deconstructible, which means (not a word) non - constructable terrain, IE you can't modify it.

Offline red51
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-03-16 23:00:36 »

Thank you for letting me know Wink I just edited the post.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online ewg

Medals: 7

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-03-16 23:08:14 »

The downloads page seems to be behind a login/password.  Is there a demo or a gameplay video?  People may be hesitant to buy based on screenshots alone.
Offline mad sam

Junior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-03-16 23:30:22 »

The downloads page seems to be behind a login/password.  Is there a demo or a gameplay video?  People may be hesitant to buy based on screenshots alone.

me too i want demo or gameplay in Youtube , plz ! Cool
Offline red51
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-03-16 23:39:04 »

Yeah that's right. I'm currently preparing some gameplay videos and I'll upload them soon Smiley
Offline Genius Coder

Medals: 1
Exp: 4 years

« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-03-17 15:19:21 »

Just as a side note, you said the terrain is deconstructible, which means (not a word) non - constructable terrain, IE you can't modify it.

Pretty sure that when you deconstruct something you take it apart, hense deconstructing a table would be taking the table apart
By definition:
reduce (something)

I love making games...
Offline red51
« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-03-18 15:26:58 »

Finally, here is a gameplay video Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6eDWr63hQMs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6eDWr63hQMs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
Offline Drenius
« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-03-18 16:33:00 »

Looks quite interesting, beautiful sunrise, lighting at all!
Interesting. You are 'JIW Games'. Our 'Weekly Incrementing Jam' IRC room is 'WIJGames'...
Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-03-18 17:20:50 »

I clicked on this, expecting a wall of text with no content.

I was surprised, this looks fantastic, very nice work. Will give it a download.

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-03-18 17:24:54 »

It costs 10eur if i'm not mistaking..
Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-03-18 17:38:38 »

No demo?...Don't see one...

Said no programmer ever
Offline red51
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-03-18 17:56:42 »

Thanks for the feedback Smiley

Yes, indeed, alpha access is available for EUR 9.99 via PayPal. The purchase also entitles you to receive all future updates free of charge Wink

No demo?...Don't see one...

There is currently no demo available Undecided Perhaps we will offer a demo in the future.

Interesting. You are 'JIW Games'. Our 'Weekly Incrementing Jam' IRC room is 'WIJGames'...

What a coincidence Shocked What's your IRC channel about? ^^
Offline Drenius
« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-03-18 17:58:50 »

The WIJ^^
(thread OP is not upt to date)
Offline Jacob Pickens
« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-03-19 05:11:36 »

Actually, I updated the post today. Grin
Online Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-03-19 07:46:45 »

Pretty impressive, and a wonderful step up from the (fun but somewhat ugly IMHO) blockworlds. Does this require a beast of a machine to run?

Offline red51
« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-03-19 18:08:00 »

Pretty impressive, and a wonderful step up from the (fun but somewhat ugly IMHO) blockworlds. Does this require a beast of a machine to run?

Many thanks! Smiley

The game requires at least a dual core, 3-4 GB RAM, and a OpenGL 3.0 graphic card (but several "late" OpenGL 2.1 graphic cards are also compatible). In order that the game runs smooth, you should have a quad core and a medium class graphic card. The graphic card should have 1024 MB VRAM.
Offline JESTERRRRRR

Medals: 7
Exp: 1 year

« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-03-21 16:38:48 »

It looks quality, love the greenery, but I'm completely put off by those icons in the bottom right, absolutely hate being pestered to get water and food non stop. Probably just me though.
Offline atombrot

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-03-21 18:49:03 »

looks very nice. I like the landscapes and caves very much. whish you look with the game, I might be a potential new user Wink let's see how this develops.
Offline red51
« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-03-21 19:30:38 »

Thanks Smiley

@JESTERRRRRR: What is exactly annoying you? The fact that you have to eat or drink something time by time, or the indicators themselves in the bottom right?

@atombrot: I'm curious Wink Of course we will pursue active development for this game Smiley
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-03-21 20:03:56 »

Beautiful looking game! And the mechanics are good too.

Its strange, because the game doesn't look anything like minecraft except for the block placing.
I think the game would be so much more unified if the construction was more like the deconstruction, less blocky and more... awesome.. haha

This is a really awesome start, but do you think charging EUR 9.99 is wise this early in development? Maybe at least release a demo, as others suggested.
Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-03-21 20:36:49 »

Your Hunger and Thirst sprites, are those from DayZ?

Look familiar.

Said no programmer ever
Offline OpenGLShaders

Medals: 4
Exp: 2 years

« Reply #22 - Posted 2014-03-21 20:42:05 »

Have got to say, from the video, the block breaking is done fantastically...great job on that Smiley
Offline red51
« Reply #23 - Posted 2014-03-21 21:43:17 »

Thank you for the compliments, glad to hear that Smiley

I think the game would be so much more unified if the construction was more like the deconstruction, less blocky and more... awesome.. haha

We will implement a more complex construction system soon, allowing you to place more detailed structures, like thin walls, planks etc. in the world Cheesy Or do you mean something different? I'm all ears Wink

This is a really awesome start, but do you think charging EUR 9.99 is wise this early in development?

Well, this is the alternative to something like kickstarter. Our thinking was, that it's better to offer alpha access, which supports our development and allows you to play the game directly after purchasing it, instead of creating a kickstarter project or something like that, where people can donate horrible sums of money for uncertain games Shocked

Your Hunger and Thirst sprites, are those from DayZ?

No, they are not, but I must admit that it might have inspired us a little bit, since we also really like DayZ Wink
Offline Drenius
« Reply #24 - Posted 2014-03-21 22:35:17 »

Why dont you make an open Alpha and a kickstarter campain?
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #25 - Posted 2014-03-22 00:38:02 »

We will implement a more complex construction system soon, allowing you to place more detailed structures, like thin walls, planks etc. in the world Cheesy Or do you mean something different? I'm all ears Wink
Yea, that's basically what I meant. More precision, less blocky. I was vague, sorry.

Do you have a team working on this with you?

Ill be watching this, Smiley
Offline Longarmx
« Reply #26 - Posted 2014-03-22 02:27:38 »

This looks really far in development for a "concept" Wink Anyways, the game looks really good. I too would like a free demo (or something like that).

I'm going to be keeping my eye on this development. Cheesy

Offline red51
« Reply #27 - Posted 2014-03-22 16:01:11 »

Why dont you make an open Alpha and a kickstarter campain?

Actually, it's very difficult to start a kickstarter campain if you live in germany Lips Sealed

Yea, that's basically what I meant. More precision, less blocky. I was vague, sorry.

Alright Smiley I hope the extended construction system will be ready within the next week.

Do you have a team working on this with you?

I'm working on this with a friend of mine.

This looks really far in development for a "concept"

Please, don't take the name of the game too literally Wink

Anyways, the game looks really good

Thanks Smiley

I too would like a free demo (or something like that).

Well, since so many people request a demo, we will think about that.
Offline Kefwar

Medals: 5
Projects: 1

« Reply #28 - Posted 2014-03-22 17:22:37 »

I too would like a free demo (or something like that).

Well, since so many people request a demo, we will think about that.
I would like a demo too, so I can try the game and my PC (not sure if I can run it...)
Offline breno.inojosa

Junior Newbie

« Reply #29 - Posted 2014-03-25 20:57:41 »

I wasn't going to click on this thread, then I got surprised by your game!

Biggest mistake in my opinion: the Title is not attractive enough.
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print