games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Escaping Vox  (Read 3527 times)
Offline Slyth2727
« Posted 2014-03-06 01:49:39 »

I recently posted a topic on a game with the same concept, and this is the same game, but completely recoded and different. Just wanted to make you guys aware of it, and it may be deleted soon as well.

Escaping Vox is a 3D voxel based puzzle game wherein you take control of a little, white ball.
Your goal? Escape to the blue pad, which sends you falling into the next level.

In order to do this you must avoid a number of hazards (* means not yet implemented):

- Falling into the abyss
- Shooter blocks
- Acid *
- Drowning *
- Lasers *

At the same time you must complete the puzzle, which will include stepping on trampolines to send you soaring to another higher platform, activating pressure pads to place and release blocks, and using checkpoints to help you along your journey.

Here's some pictures:

You can also check out a YouTube channel I made here for video logs that I was making a while back. They're kind of older videos though.

NOTE: You do have to have a pretty decent computer to run this. Nothing super great, but no school library computer. Right now I haven't optomized the meshes as the levels are fairly small and I need to do some optomizations on my SSAO and other shaders. To turn these effects off you can click "Options" in the main menu. They increase performance drastically for me (40-50 FPS).

The controls for the actual game are explained in the first level, however the editor does things a bit differently. You can fly around and place or remove blocks as well as edit some light properties (color, range):

- Shift left to start selection of area, shift left in a position of greater coordinates to complete, you should see a red box envelope the area. Press enter to delete everything.
- Shift right and same as above to place whichever selected block you have in that area.
- Left to break.
- Right to place.
- Scroll to change block selection.
- You can't play these levels. I haven't added in action editing (removing and replacing blocks) as I define that in the code right now, but it will work later.
- These custom levels will save to your computer. They are located in your home directory in /.slythGame. This way you can load them up and edit them later, yes saving and loading works Smiley.

Downloads (I'm sorry they're so large. I've compressed everything and lowered the bitrate of audio as much as I can.):
*Nix
Windows
Mac

There are a few things that I know I haven't implemented as well as a few bugs which will be listed below:

- Pause menu doesn't appear sometimes. Just press ESC again.
- Level doesn't reset if you die and don't have a checkpoint.
- Sometimes camera movement is choppy.
- Performance sucks. Majorly.
- Depending on certain things the To Main Menu button may not work. This is because it restarts the .jar, I will fix this as well.

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 160
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-03-06 01:54:52 »

That lighting  Pointing

Looks really impressive! Are you using shaders for your lighting or the old built in lighting system? Either way, it looks really good!

Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 288
Exp: 5 years

« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-03-06 01:59:48 »

Ooh, purdy  Cheesy

I especially like the font on those prompts  Wink

I'll happily test it with my old-ish HD 4670, should be a decent performance test.

Are you using shaders for your lighting?

Guessing shaders:
I need to do some optomizations on my SSAO and other shaders

Also, I think aesthetics could be improved even more if you dressed up the menu buttons a tad to fit with the rest of it, just a little thing I noticed.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-03-06 02:00:22 »

Damn, I should have read the post more. I'll definitely test it for you!

Edit:
Are you using jMonkeyEngine? Still really cool, I was just going to be very impressed if you managed to do all of this by yourself without any engines/libraries! Still very cool, don't get me wrong Smiley

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-03-06 02:05:57 »

Damn, I should have read the post more. I'll definitely test it for you!

Edit:
Are you using jMonkeyEngine? Still really cool, I was just going to be very impressed if you managed to do all of this by yourself without any engines/libraries! Still very cool, don't get me wrong Smiley

Yes I am using jMonkeyEngine Wink
I plan on programming my own deferred renderer soon however because the current rendering scheme is horrid for lighting. I would still be using th engine for other rendering, but my own lighting.

And I'm rewriting all of the shaders I'm using too. Currently only the electricity and DOF are from jME. Those should be very easy though.

Thanks!

//The download is coming, it's a rather large file (75 megs Sad ) and I have to upload one with the .jar, and a couple others for automatic windows launches (exe) and linux (sh). You mac users can use the jar. Mac download out too.

EDIT:
Download is out, check above.

Ooh, purdy  Cheesy

I especially like the font on those prompts  Wink

The font is called Primer if you want to use it for your games, I found it online.
And on your graphics I suspect it'll run like dirt. No offense, it's really all on me I should make some more optomizations. Go ahead and look at the options to disable some stuff if you like
Thanks again Smiley

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Online SHC
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-03-06 13:35:06 »

I will test it on all the three major platforms, Windows, Linux and Mac. It looks really impressive. But I can't find a mac build in your links.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-03-06 13:50:12 »

I will test it on all the three major platforms, Windows, Linux and Mac. It looks really impressive. But I can't find a mac build in your links.

I honestly haven't a clue how to make a Mac executable, but I'm sure it's easy enough. For now can you try running the .jar?
Thanks for testing it on all 3, it's really helpful.

Online SHC
« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-03-06 13:54:23 »

I honestly haven't a clue how to make a Mac executable, but I'm sure it's easy enough.

Just add the Mac natives using JarSplice. Just the same as using with other natives.

Online SHC
« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-03-06 14:10:52 »

The jar ran perfectly well on my mac. Here's a video of mine showing how to pack in a mac .app bundle.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Unl8dgqFv6o?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Unl8dgqFv6o?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

If you want, I can do one for you. Send me the icon as a .png and I can convert it.

Offline Drenius
« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-03-06 14:59:20 »

Very fun little game and looks very nice!
Nothing to mention you do not know.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-03-06 15:14:37 »

The jar ran perfectly well on my mac. Here's a video of mine showing how to pack in a mac .app bundle.

If you want, I can do one for you. Send me the icon as a .png and I can convert it.

That would be super helpful,  I'll send you it as soon as I arrive home. Thanks Smiley

Very fun little game and looks very nice!
Nothing to mention you do not know.

Glad you enjoyed it Smiley

Online SHC
« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-03-07 10:42:29 »

I have made a .app for mac but it's too large (82.7 MB). Know any way of sending to you?

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-03-07 11:02:49 »

I really hate fading tutorial text ;P
awesome game otherwise

ps
 is this my computer being slow, or is this game really laggy by itself?
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-03-07 12:03:57 »

He said the game was (sort of) unoptimized, so I think its just the game. All those lighting calculations would definitely take a hit to the performance.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-03-07 16:43:10 »

@trollwarrior1
Yes opiop's correct, the performance is horrid right now sorry about that. You can look into the options to disable the 2 effects that take up most of the framerate, SSAO is the real biggie there.
I'm working on better mesh rendering (right now I'm using the most stupid way possible, don't even ask) as well as deferred lighting. Those two together should increase performance hugely, so look forward to that.

I'm guessing you're talking about how the tutorial text kind of glows? I've been told the same thing about it a few times now, I will most likely remove it. Thanks for the input Smiley

@SHC

That's awesome! You can upload it to mediafire if you like, it shouldn't take that long, and then I can either download it and reupload it to my account or I can just post that download it the main post.
Thanks a lot man.

Online SHC
« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-03-07 16:47:43 »

@Slyth2727

Maybe I'll try to compress it in a dmg. It should become smaller. I'll upload it tomorrow morning, it's already late today.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-03-07 16:55:50 »

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-03-07 21:47:31 »

Nice game, I'm liking it so far. Fraps says I'm getting 80 fps on the smaller levels (full options), but I'm not sure.
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-03-08 22:35:50 »

So for the people that can't run it at this time, I put together a video to show a full playthrough of the games current (5) levels. It should give you an idea of just how dynamic a level can be and how creative one can get with it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dv8jcLFHEDU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Dv8jcLFHEDU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Online SHC
« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-03-09 04:31:27 »

I've uploaded the mac version to MediaFire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dt10kx4myq2bk1g/EscapingVox-Mac.dmg

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-03-09 22:12:37 »

Awesome, I'll add it to the main post.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-04-22 16:54:24 »

Alright, so I've almost finished making the engine for this game.
I decided to port it over to plain LWJGL instead of using jMonkeyEngine because I'll have more control and most likely better performance.

Spoiler:

So it's pretty simple so far from what you can see, but there's normal mapping, point lights, spot, and directional lights, as well as parallax mapping which is coming soon.
It uses a node system similar to jMonkeyEngine, so everything's very.. modular? I suppose that's the right word. Anyways I'm starting on the actual port soon so it should be out within a few months.

Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #22 - Posted 2014-04-22 18:48:20 »

Is that the Stanford Bunny? Really nice lighting and such you got there btw, digging it. Is it supposed to look like water, or is it just random bump mapping?
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #23 - Posted 2014-04-22 19:30:41 »

Yup, that's the famous bunny.

Thanks, and it's bump mapping. Not random though, it uses a brick texture and normal map with the specular values turned way up.

Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #24 - Posted 2014-04-22 19:35:46 »

Well, at least under that lighting it would make for good water, looks like it's raining or something. Of course the illusion may break when animated, but in the still it looks pretty sweet.
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #25 - Posted 2014-04-22 19:46:52 »

Cool, that was my goal, to make it look rainy/wet Smiley
I've not gotten to animation yet, but I don't really need it for my project anyways.

I have a Material system that can be applied to seperate objects, so in a couple lines I can change that to this:

This has a much lower specular power/exponent and uses a tile texture and normal map instead.

Online SHC
« Reply #26 - Posted 2014-04-23 13:37:26 »

You are following tutorials of Benny right?? This looks like his Game Engine series.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #27 - Posted 2014-04-24 00:49:02 »

I've gotten certain bits from him but haven't followed the series exactly. I dislike doing that. For example I implemented the materials much differently than he did and used a different method of lighting approximations. Normal mapping was implemented before he touched on it.
But I did watch his videos to understand the matrices and mesh loading as well as general engine design.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (29 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (50 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (47 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (113 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (100 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org