News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Asteroids  (Read 4636 times)
Online Gibbo3771
« Reply #30 - Posted 2014-03-02 13:46:52 »

This is impressive.

The menus are fluid and great to look at and navigate, the UI is fantastic, it runs smooth.

This is honestly sellable, this is the kind of thing you could sell on GOG for a couple of dollars.

Very well done, I would like to watch a tutorial series on you creating this, it's simply amazing, despite how simple.

EDIT: If I had one thing to say, use a simple encryption like Base64 for the saves. Everyone here will know the format but most don't.

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline Bene
« Reply #31 - Posted 2014-03-02 13:54:48 »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
Encrypt the savegames and highscore is definetely one thing I have to do, I'll take a look at Base64. Thanks Wink
Offline mike_bike_kite
« Reply #32 - Posted 2014-03-03 12:09:21 »

In a full screen game I wrote I found it would run fine on some PC's and just get a black screen on others.
I found running the jar with the option "-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true" worked for me.

java -jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true asteroids.jar

I'm afraid I haven't tried your game yet though.

Mike

Arcade swarm
Board Chess - Checkers - Othello
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Bene
« Reply #33 - Posted 2014-03-03 12:25:17 »

I read something about these command line parameters too, but I thought I can't expect that someone who just wants to play needs to start it this way.
Offline Bene
« Reply #34 - Posted 2014-03-03 21:51:38 »

I added some stuff you suggested me:
-Sounds (Thanks to BurntPizza, http://www.bfxr.net/ is a very cool tool)
-the small enemy has now a shorter range, and shoots less precisely
-the dificulty increases now every 15 seconds instead of 10, so it should be a bit easier now
-some upgrades are more expensive
-savegames and highscore are now encrypted (Thanks to Gibbo3771, Base64 was easy to use and works great)

Thanks for your feedback Wink

http://www.file-upload.net/download-8678635/Asteroids.zip.html
Online BurntPizza
« Reply #35 - Posted 2014-03-03 22:06:44 »

Aww yeah, this is pretty damn fun, that barrage of arcade-y audio goodness is great. Only sound effect that didn't seem to fit was the menu button 'click', to me those are usually 'two syllables' if that makes any sense.

First time I got the 'auto shotgun' effect after deploying a special was unexpected and epic. You're doing it right.

A few more things I noticed this time around:

Perhaps a volume control somewhere, or just a mute button? Also the music should probably stop if the game is minimized.
Be able to hold down up or down to scroll through letters when entering your name
Maybe not so much aimbot on the red ships? At least not at first, the difficulty suddenly goes way up when those guys show up, doesn't feel smooth to me. Who knows.
Offline ricardo
« Reply #36 - Posted 2014-03-03 23:58:45 »

Please add more extras. More bullets, more special attacks, shield, bosses, etc.
This is really a fun game, but to easy to unlock everything. You should add more extras and you can even sell this.
Offline Bene
« Reply #37 - Posted 2014-03-04 07:11:58 »

New Bullets is a good idea, but what kind of other special attacks do you suggest? I thought about a shield, but it wouldn't be much of a difference to an extra life.
I'll think about it, thanks Wink
Offline MorpheusZero

Junior Newbie

Exp: 2 years

Always A Noob

« Reply #38 - Posted 2014-03-14 08:15:22 »

Just wanted to say that I've been playing around with this for the past two days. Maybe 45 minutes total play time and I really enjoyed it. And like others have mentioned, I think it gets too hard too fast, but other than that--this is great!
Offline AvivC

Junior Duke

Projects: 1

« Reply #39 - Posted 2014-03-23 16:52:13 »

As others said, awesome game. It really encourages me as a beginner game developer, because it's a really simple game, but professional-looking, polished and very enjoyable.

I agree with some of the other guys here that it gets hard too fast. And also that more 'extra' powers will be great.

I'll also add that in my personal opinion, it's too hard to control the spaceship. It's too 'slippery', when it's supposed to stop moving, that should happen faster.
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print