Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Project NAH - A sandbox survival platformer.  (Read 8910 times)
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 156
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #60 - Posted 2014-05-31 11:59:09 »

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up... Must have been something else in my code.

But seriously OP, you should consider using a more "modern" rendering technique. At least try display lists, they are ridiculously easy to set up and it will increase your performance dramatically as you aren't sending each set of vertices to the card. I can't stress how much you should use them if you're not going to "upgrade" to a buffer object.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

The one and only.

« Reply #61 - Posted 2014-06-19 01:53:56 »

I have done a lot of refactoring, and optimization recently, it turns out the key reason particles lagged was because it was performing unnecessary collision checks, and now works much better.

I also added machine guns. Wink

Here is an update video.

Sorry for bad quality, wasn't post rendered Tongue

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AYXMXB2FRxo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AYXMXB2FRxo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #62 - Posted 2014-06-20 17:39:04 »

It now tells you the item you have selected, and I am now using DB 32 color palette, which looks nicer to me.

And I added hunger, which essentially depletes over time, and then once it hits zero will take a health point every 10 ticks;

but a video is worth a thousand words times the number of frames..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRUzgG8hXTk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JRUzgG8hXTk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #63 - Posted 2014-07-15 18:26:31 »

Aaaand youu alll thought I was dead.

I have been hard at work doing behind the scene things on the game, Mostly network preparations. There is not much to be said about that but everything besides actual implementation between Client and Server is done. I literally peed my pants when I got the client and server to communicate though.

I have done tons of optimizations, FPS is now at a good 300+ w/ tons of entities and culling, and I sixteenthed the loading times.

HOW PLOX. HOW YOU MAKE IT SO MUCH FASTER?!

Well settle down and I will tell you, before I was loading 6 textures PER BLOCK. Before I had a 5x5x16x16 world, the first 2 being chunks, the 2nd set being blocks per chunk. You can imagine how laggy that would be; I decided to take those 6 textures per block, and assign one (the block texture) to the block ID so there is only one instance, and the other 5 (breaking textures) to a special enum, and then have the blocks call those.

Prior, I would crash my computer quite literally if I tried a 64x64 chunk world, now I can have those and it generates in a mere minute, (not good I understand, but its progress). In addition I can make a 32x32 world in practically the same time as a 5x5, thats a 640% increase in load time!

I then thought.
Well generation is much faster now, what else should I do?

And after long hours of searching for the right perlin algorithm, I got it. Caves. I have a video below. Its pretty self explanatory, and they need tweaking; but they are epic!

I also added a basic GUI, which is cool.

Oh and multiworld support. But I will talk about that in a future update.

As with all updates, changes are here on github.

Mind the lag, its due to the recorder. The game gets a full 60 FPS otherwise.

Here is your video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vVYkaNG-Bk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4vVYkaNG-Bk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Offline Coldstream24
« Reply #64 - Posted 2014-07-15 20:32:08 »

Wow, those caves are looking pretty good. One thing I suggest is having a solid barrier at the bottom of the world (yes, I know, bedrock, but it's a good idea) and some kind of transition so that it doesn't look like the world ends so suddenly at the bottom, because you have your background blocks prior to that and then it's just your background colour.

Yes, I am that same incredibly famous Internet musician.
Offline Screem
« Reply #65 - Posted 2014-07-15 20:46:51 »

Perhaps simply have the camera stop following the player once they reach an edge. Really nice project, by the way! One thing though, falling and jumping look very linear. I would suggest adding acceleration so the player jumps following a smooth parabola and gains velocity while falling down.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #66 - Posted 2014-07-15 21:14:23 »

Perhaps simply have the camera stop following the player once they reach an edge. Really nice project, by the way! One thing though, falling and jumping look very linear. I would suggest adding acceleration so the player jumps following a smooth parabola and gains velocity while falling down.

Velocity is long overdue, I will implement that in the next update.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #67 - Posted 2014-07-18 17:13:35 »

Woooooooooooooooo! Weeeeeee!  Roll Eyes

Click to Play

Choppiness is due to gif.

The sky color does change, its just I made the day night cycle so fast it doesnt allow enough time for change.

I also added velocity, which allows acceleration, terminal velocity etc while jumping and falling, so its no longer static, and better yet its more efficent than how I was doing it before.  Pointing

But you can take my word for that.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #68 - Posted 2014-07-19 01:26:27 »

Ermergerd! Shaders!

I followed a few text tutorials that got me more comfortable with GLSL, and then a few custom classes so using shaders is easy as one two three:

One: Create the code for the actual shader.
Two: Initialize ShaderProgram and pass 2 Shader classes, used for the source of the vert and frag shaders,
Three: Use shader.activate() and shader.deactivate()

and its that simple, ill probally make it easier for myself too and make methods for the uniforms or a way to access the GL20 methods using the shader program class.

Using multiple tutorials online, specifically the ones on the lwjgl website, I combined the color tutorials and the texture tutorials to make the same exact effect as the default, but to show they were working I inverted the colors, and the game looks pretty freaky!

Now that I realize how easy shaders are I probably wont have a problem implementing lighting.

Hope you find that atleast the slightest bit cool  Roll Eyes

Offline Some1epic123

Junior Newbie

Exp: 2 years

« Reply #69 - Posted 2014-07-27 20:17:38 »

I've been following your progress, and I think it's looking pretty great.
With the ideas that have for this, you can definitely make this into the type of goal you're going for.

I haven't experienced any sort of lag (pretty stable 65 FPS/FPS cap), even when
lower in the map. Hopefully this progresses well  Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #70 - Posted 2014-08-06 18:19:27 »

To start off, you see that I have made a logo for the game, I am pretty happy with the results, but I would be even happier if you guys like it too! I just messed around with Perspective and Warp in photoshop and masked images to it, basic stuff, but I thought it was alright in the end.

I have changed the entire chunking system for the better. Now instead of unique instances for every block, every block is created once. Now you may ask:
Well that breaks your entire system? Blocks need unique data? etc. etc.
and that is exactly why it needed rewriting, now the entire system is based off an array of integers, and pro bally could be reduced to bytes too, of which represents the blocks, if information from the block is needed, we call the BlockID class and it translates the ID into a block instance, and vice versa. Rendering and ticking is now passes coords, and the unique data is stored in a seperate class. This has broke few minor things, like random ticking, grass spreading but that will be fixed.

With these changes, I have managed to create a 64x64 chunk world, (a record 1 million, 48 thousand, 576 possible blocks!) in less than a second, foreground, background, terraforming, and caving included.

I also fixed some minor bugs having to do with guns and bows, but thats not too big of a deal.

What do you guys think?

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #71 - Posted 2014-09-18 02:21:19 »

I have been working on making maps bigger, and all that kind of cool stuff plus adding content, I will post more tommorow but here are some videos (they do a lot of explaining) for you:  persecutioncomplex

Optimization and filler sounds
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEm9C8BjZ5U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/fEm9C8BjZ5U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

World size (12K blocks!!!)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6lzTqc41y0M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6lzTqc41y0M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Enemy testing
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HK1GfQBVYDk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HK1GfQBVYDk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

EDIT: Dont worry opiop, I have a smooth 500 FPS uncapped.  Stare

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 156
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #72 - Posted 2014-09-18 02:26:44 »

I really hope you don't plan on keeping all those sounds...

Also, you need variation in your terrain. The caves are cool, but it needs hills or some type of non-subterranean features.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (42 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (32 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (37 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (58 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (85 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org