Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (547)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Project NAH - A sandbox survival platformer.  (Read 6795 times)
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #30 - Posted 2014-04-19 03:35:24 »

Both of those names sound great to me : )
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

The one and only.

« Reply #31 - Posted 2014-04-21 13:11:03 »

Only a few more things until release of Alpha 0.2.0  Grin

First off, items are now rendered, (thanks to the people here helping me with trigonometry), where the hands are. Also, when you use an item it swings *terraria style* over your head.

In addition, You can now interact with the background- as well as the background being generated (as shown in the pic), but the controls are kind of odd and I may change them

I also added dirt and cleaned up some inventory code.. Cool!

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #32 - Posted 2014-04-25 02:19:05 »

Hey guys! 0.2.0 is nearly here, and here is a little of my progress-

I have got some "cracks" in the blocks that shows their health.

For example, the really small crack is when the health is 1/5 of the max health, but the full block crack is 4/5. So thats cool.

Using my KILLER world saving algorithm, I was able to add saving/loading of block's health in just a whopping 6 lines!

Feedback and ideas appreciated always! Wink

I've pushed the current a 0.2.0 DEV release to github if you want to some source.

Public Github - Wiki, Issues, Source code

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #33 - Posted 2014-05-02 23:10:35 »

Today is the release of 0.2.1, I have spent a lot of time programming this there have been unbelievable amount of changes and additions since 0.1. This is including 0.2.0, and is not limited to:

• Rewrite of Biped class to allow custom skin color, and eyes
  • Added Inventory. (dual hotbars, backpack)
  • Added Actions.
  • Added arm swinging during actions
  • Added Items.
  • Added item rendering (arm holds items)
  • Optimized world saving
  • Added saving of inventories.
  • Added saving of players.
  • Added dirt block.
  • Optimized Chunk Managing
  • Added support for background
  • Blocks show health via "cracks"
  • Tool System implemented
  • BLockID system optimized
  • ItemIDs implemented
  • Started implementing EntityIDs
  • Fixed bugs
And much more..

I hope you guys enjoy what I have gotten done, and I am sorry in advance since its not 100% optimized it doesn't run a full 60 fps.

Controls
Use 1-9 and 0 for selecting respective inv slots.
You can use the scroll wheel for scrolling.
To independently scroll click on the left/right mouse button and scroll respectively.

To place/break click the respective button on the mouse wheel.

To open the backpack press TAB

And here is your download and the source (Game under MIT licence, modding allowed but all credit for game is due to me.):

Latest download.

IF THE GAME DOESN'T BOOT, PROGRAM A LITTLE SHELL/BATCH SCRIPT AND MAKE IT BOOT THE JAR.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #34 - Posted 2014-05-03 12:15:39 »

If this simple 2d game is not capable of 60 fps, you must be doing something awfully wrong..
Offline BurntPizza
« Reply #35 - Posted 2014-05-03 13:53:33 »

If this simple 2d game is not capable of 60 fps, you must be doing something awfully wrong..

That's what I thought, should easily be capable of >1000, even on fairly poor hardware.

I looked at the source briefly, Swords, why are you going glBegin and glEnd for every quad? Also, many of the calls in GDisplay.render() don't need to be (shouldn't) called every frame.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #36 - Posted 2014-05-03 14:02:30 »

Its runs 800-900 on my computer without capping it. Im just saying one guy had a really old XP and he got like 20 fps, so I was apologizing in general.

I looked at the source briefly, Swords, why are you going glBegin and glEnd for every quad? Also, many of the calls in GDisplay.render() don't need to be (shouldn't) called every frame.

It can still be optimized more anyhow.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #37 - Posted 2014-05-03 18:27:09 »

Calling a glBegin pair for every quad will slow down your game tremendously. That's not an optimization, its use g OpenGL wisely and understanding how the library you are using works.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #38 - Posted 2014-05-03 18:30:20 »

I'm sure you've heard the term vbo.

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #39 - Posted 2014-05-03 18:53:03 »

I can play League of legends on 60+ fps, and your game runes on 20 fps when all the screen is filled with tiles. It is pretty funny to me.. How can it be so slow. You could just slap VBO in there for whole level, and update it once the players breaks/places the block. Its not like its difficult to do for a game small as this..
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #40 - Posted 2014-05-03 19:24:54 »

I can play League of legends on 60+ fps, and your game runes on 20 fps when all the screen is filled with tiles. It is pretty funny to me.. How can it be so slow. You could just slap VBO in there for whole level, and update it once the players breaks/places the block. Its not like its difficult to do for a game small as this..

...You could run League of Legends on a toaster.

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4

« Reply #41 - Posted 2014-05-03 19:29:30 »

...You could run League of Legends on a toaster.
Have you seen the acutal specs?
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #42 - Posted 2014-05-04 15:10:14 »

I get about 20FPS when the screen is half full of blocks. Ouch. I'm not running a ancient system haha.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #43 - Posted 2014-05-04 17:24:33 »

I understand that I am performing some No nos and shouldnts and I will try and optimize it much more by the next minor. However I just found 2 bugs in the render culling of blocks that caused them to only stop rendering when they are to the right or above the screen, hence the lag the further you go into the world. Roll Eyes

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #44 - Posted 2014-05-09 23:44:10 »

I thought I would let everyone i've offically hired death_angel as as part of the Revereor Team and we have already been working on the project together. Github became useful for once.

Offline Coldstream24
« Reply #45 - Posted 2014-05-09 23:48:31 »

If you need any other help I may be able to do some stuff for you in my spare time... just let me know. Also, I can't launch it under OS X.

Yes, I am that same incredibly famous Internet musician.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #46 - Posted 2014-05-09 23:53:23 »

If you need any other help I may be able to do some stuff for you in my spare time... just let me know. Also, I can't launch it under OS X.

I need spare, occasional help on optimization of rendering. That would be heavily apreciated.

1.1 GL aint' fast.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #47 - Posted 2014-05-26 02:53:17 »

Alpha 0.2.2 is still in development, Angel and I have been working on some pretty nifty stuff.

First of all, we optimized the system we were using to get a target FPS, and thus we have seen FPS's closer to that target, (60 fps).

I have also been cleaning a lot of the code and I am putting all my complex trig and math into a MathHelper class so I can access it whenever, but seriously, "getDoubleQuadrantRelativeAngleFromCoords" is a preetyy complex function, nuf said.

I also added some better hooks and moved a lot of things into their own classes to clean up and allow for more functionality, and along with that I started on other entities and I have a poo yeti entity (long story, has to do with my "Director of Fun, and Idea man", Josh; if you want to hear it ask in this thread), and that is seen in the GIF below.

Angel himself also added an aztec block so, yay him!  Pointing

And while he was playing with his aztec I was making working guns w/ bullets. Enjoy!  Roll Eyes

Click to Play

Sorry if you cant see the bullets and stuff, the sprites aren't that big and compressing it from 1920 to 800 width doesn't help. Take my word for it, they are there.

Offline Coldstream24
« Reply #48 - Posted 2014-05-26 05:21:51 »

Oh man, guns. You just reminded me of how much fun I was having trying to implement projectiles into Element X (except I focused a lot more on onion grenades/explosives instead of bullets).

Do you have any plans to make this networked? For me that was one of the major areas of focus from the very beginning and it worked to an extent - the whole game ran on an internal server. Actually, what plans do you have for it in general?

Yes, I am that same incredibly famous Internet musician.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #49 - Posted 2014-05-26 11:09:44 »

Oh man, guns. You just reminded me of how much fun I was having trying to implement projectiles into Element X (except I focused a lot more on onion grenades/explosives instead of bullets).

Do you have any plans to make this networked? For me that was one of the major areas of focus from the very beginning and it worked to an extent - the whole game ran on an internal server. Actually, what plans do you have for it in general?

I do not have plans to make this networked, with that in mind, I still may do it at a later age. I plan to next keep implementing on the basics needed to make a world, polish the player gui, entities saving etc and pseudo code for the generating engine, and then I will add infinite terrain like minecraft just on the x and y axis, and then I will take it from there.

And guns werent that hard, I made my entire game dynamic so I just had to make a gun class, register it, put it that when i perform an action on it, I want it check if i have bullets and if i do take one from my inventory and spawn one, and then I just made a Bullet class which extended my already made Projectile (which extends Particle, which extends Entity, which extends Rectangle.)

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #50 - Posted 2014-05-27 01:47:51 »

One more thing for today, Bows and arrows.

I was surprised how easy it was to calculated the angle of the arrows.

I would explain more, but its based off of guns and I explained that in the previous posts.  Pointing

Click to Play

The lag was because I have a *hundred* tabs open in google chrome, not the game*

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #51 - Posted 2014-05-30 19:41:09 »

Ive been working on many bugfixed and small, background features, like metadata saving, but I bring you: Hearts!

Heres how it works:

If health is at max, draw all hearts,

otherwise, if the current heart is less than the heart percentage, which is the percentage of the players health to max health, draw the opacity at solid, otherwise, if it is equal to the integer of the heart percentage, draw the opacity at the heart percentage minus the integer of heart percentage, otherwise, draw it at 0.1f opacity.

If the heart percentage is below a certain point, currently 20%, the hearts shake, getting more violent as the health goes lower.

I also used metadata saving to make it so you can only use tools a certain amount of times based on their tier.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #52 - Posted 2014-05-31 01:10:33 »

Today marks the release of 0.2.2, This is the first release with work from Spacebeans and Death Angel, newly recruited people to the project. Changes are, and is not limited to:

• TONS of bug fixes (that would take up twice the size of this list)
  • Quadrupled size of everything for technical reasons, however it makes no difference ingame or to FPS.
  • Fixed FPS limiter.
  • Added Fighter Enemies/AI, they are dumb.
  • Added Swords
  • Added Metadata saving
  • Added Math Helper, which allows us to do complex expressions that are used often using a static function
  • Got mad at slick.
  • Added and KEPT multiple random error messages.
  • Added guns.
  • Added gun type Shotgun
  • Added gun type Pistol
  • Optimized EntityManager
  • Added Particles, Projectiles.
  • Entity Item is now a particle.
  • Added bows.
  • Added bullets.
  • Added arrows.
  • Optimized Player Inventory Manager
  • Added Player Manager
  • Added PlayerGUIManager
  • Added GUI for health
  • Added configurable, dynamic melee damage
  • Made Player Inventory Manager and item's interfacing more dynamic
  • Added Aztec ~Angel
  • Added Grass
  • Rearranged textures ~Spacebeans
  • Optimizations to GL and things in general ~Spacebeans
  • Added interfacable ticking and rendering
  • Added Raycasting
  • Added Mouse Orientated items
  • Added non-swingable items
  • Fixed jumping and made it more dynamic ~Angel
And much more, (if we excluded something, its probably on github Pointing)..

I hope you guys enjoy what we have gotten done, and I am sorry in advance since its still not 100% optimized and it doesn't run a full 60 fps on some enviroments.

Inventory Controls
Use 1-9 and 0 for selecting respective inv slots.
You can use the scroll wheel for scrolling.
To independently scroll click on the left/right mouse button and scroll respectively.

To place/break click the respective button on the mouse wheel.

To open the backpack press TAB

And here is your download and the source (Game under MIT licence, modding allowed but all credit for game is due to the Revereor Team.):

Latest download.

IF THE GAME DOESN'T BOOT, PROGRAM A LITTLE SHELL/BATCH SCRIPT AND MAKE IT BOOT THE JAR.

If something is screwed up. That sucks, and notify me and ill have to make a new post. This is because I cannot change my posts, because of the padded room's limitations.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #53 - Posted 2014-05-31 05:53:19 »

Hmm its really sad that when you talk about performance for such simple game, and yet you cannot get 60 fps.. I cloned the project on my PC, why doesn't eclipse detect it as a project when I try to import it?
Online kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 76
Projects: 4

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #54 - Posted 2014-05-31 10:26:33 »

Hmm its really sad that when you talk about performance for such simple game, and yet you cannot get 60 fps.. I cloned the project on my PC, why doesn't eclipse detect it as a project when I try to import it?

There is no included project file.

From .gitignore:
/bin
/log
/saves
.settings
.project

- Jev

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #55 - Posted 2014-05-31 10:30:36 »

Hmm I really wanted to help dem.
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #56 - Posted 2014-05-31 11:37:24 »

Its mostly because he uses immediate mode and glBegin and end pairs like crazy. Swords, seriously calling glBegin and end that much is going to affect your performance like crazy. I've already told you before, you need to only call it a few times and try to put all your glVertex or glColor or whatever calls in between them. 

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #57 - Posted 2014-05-31 11:51:43 »

Its mostly because he uses immediate mode and glBegin and end pairs like crazy. Swords, seriously calling glBegin and end that much is going to affect your performance like crazy. I've already told you before, you need to only call it a few times and try to put all your glVertex or glColor or whatever calls in between them. 

It doesn't matter if he uses those pairs like crazy. He should get rid of immediate rendering for static terrain all together. It is VERY VERY easy to render static terrain with VBO..
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #58 - Posted 2014-05-31 11:54:15 »

Well yes, it would be very beneficial but its up to him...

I thought glBegin and end pairs were expensive calls though...? I used to "abuse" those functions and I definitely noticed the framerate drop.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #59 - Posted 2014-05-31 11:56:02 »

I remember one time I had the Wilderness To Home rendered each quad with a pair of those. The framerate was 1500. Then, I thought I would try removing those. The frame rate increase by 25 fps or something.. (1525) it isn't such a big deal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (25 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (13 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (20 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (58 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org