Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (592)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Project NAH - A sandbox survival platformer.  (Read 9537 times)
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

Medals: 7
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

The one and only.

« Posted 2014-02-28 17:07:53 »

All information on the development of the game will be posted here.

Feel free to follow my twitter

Project NAH is a sandbox survival game orientated towards the aspects of fighting, mechanics, and speed. This procedural game is still in heavy development, there are much mechanics to be added as well as content, and currently does not have any gameplay. However feel free to check out the demos that come out, which feature the latest mechanics, bug fixes, and much more!

This game is built on LWJGL, and is developed by me, and has had many contributors thus far. Currently the game is in the alpha stage, and demos come out at every minor release.

Automagically updating preview photo:

Public Github - Wiki, Issues, Source code
Latest demo.

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-02-28 18:36:06 »

"This will not be Terraria clone"
If you would make good terraria clone you would be awesome.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-02-28 19:01:37 »

"This will not be Terraria clone"
If you would make good terraria clone you would be awesome.

I mean, It wont have every single item terraria does, there probably wont be any of the exact same bosses, it will incorporate my own and JGO's ideas. It will be a survive and thrive game of cource, I even intend on making it much more hardcore than terraria will ever be, and even more intense than battling the eater of worlds or WoF.

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-03-08 02:02:28 »

Game will be made in SAGL 1.0, not 2.0, I hate my LibGDX implementations and I have had a taste of both front end and doing the backend, and I dislike having no backend control.  Undecided

Offline zngga
« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-03-08 05:08:46 »

the topic is empty...   Undecided ... what is this?

My code never has bugs... it just develops unexpected features!
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-03-08 13:18:09 »

the topic is empty...   Undecided ... what is this?

It will be a survival/sandbox platformer, like terraria if you want something to relate to. Its still 0.0.0 release (not really released) and I am currently reprogramming it.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-03-10 02:18:49 »

Player has now been somewhat implemented, however movement and mechanics of the player have not been. This is part of my SAGL 1.0 recode (not using LibGDX anymore) and I have already noticed a much more crisp image and a 60+ fps increase. (Thats right. I'm bashing on you LibGDX).

I am debating whether the looks of the player should be skin based like minecraft or only somewhat configurable like terraria, or my own thing all together. Any ideas? (Right now I have support in the code for both to happen)

Heres a picture of the player falling, this is not the animation it will have, and along with that you can see the arms and legs moved.

I also cleaned up the texture of the stone, its beautiful now Cheesy

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 159
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-03-10 02:31:17 »

You do realize LibGDX is doing more in the background then your library, that's why its "slower"? Its more powerful, of course its going to be a little slower.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-03-10 02:48:24 »

You do realize LibGDX is doing more in the background then your library, that's why its "slower"? Its more powerful, of course its going to be a little slower.
Mine is still faster. But to be honest the average player wont care as long as it:

• is fast.
  • gets the job done.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-03-10 02:57:12 »

gets the job done.
If your engine is featureless the programmer will not want to use it, thus the player will never experience games made by your so-called amazingly smooth engine. You think a programmer will want a simple library that can only handle a few lightweight tasks? Hell no. Most programmers want a library that does all the heavy lifting for them, IE a heavy weight engine that will therefore run slower than yours.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 271
Exp: 5 years

« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-03-10 03:00:23 »

Let him do what he wants with his engine. I believe it's a phase virtually every programmer goes though, you know, the Not Invented Here phase.

He'll soon (relative to the death of the universe) realize what he's doing.
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-03-10 03:05:45 »

I have no issues with his engine or anything. My issue is when people complain about others' work without understanding how it actually works. Of course LibGDX is slower. Saying your engine is better because it is faster (thus insulting someone else's work) is, at least in my book, ignorance and it is very annoying.

Offline BurntPizza

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 271
Exp: 5 years

« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-03-10 05:02:33 »

I have no issues with his engine or anything. My issue is when people complain about others' work without understanding how it actually works. Of course LibGDX is slower. Saying your engine is better because it is faster (thus insulting someone else's work) is, at least in my book, ignorance and it is very annoying.

I agree with that, really a public benchmark should be provided with any claims of being 'better' than something else. It's quite possible SwordsMiner used a non-optimal method in whatever he is basing his libGDX performance baseline on. A benchmark and results would also tell as to just how much of an improvement there actually is. (it could be negligible)

• is fast.
  • gets the job done.

libGDX "gets the job done" much faster (and likely more thoroughly) than rolling your own solution, in terms of development time in the vast majority of cases, and is plenty fast for practical applications. That said, the NIH principle facilitates learning many underlying concepts through experience, so carry on. Just realize that that is it's benefit, not the ones you are specifying.
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 295
Projects: 11

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-03-10 05:22:44 »

Let him do what he wants with his engine. I believe it's a phase virtually every programmer goes though, you know, the Not Invented Here phase.

He'll soon (relative to the death of the universe) realize what he's doing.

NIH has it's place. You can't become a better programmer if you don't understand how things work. And you can't understand how things work unless you implement them.

@OP: That said, I very much doubt presenting SAGL as an alternative LibGDX is going to work very well. If anything, you're just fooling yourself.

If you want use your own library/engine, fine. But don't go constantly promoting it if it has no value. Chances are you will be the only one using it even if it did have something useful.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-03-10 12:59:00 »

I'm asking further discussion is on topic.

While i'm at it, Ill let you guys know once the player is fully implemented ill give out a 0.0.1 alpha demo for everyone. However collisions need a lot of work due to the new chunk system I added in.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-03-15 03:20:01 »

Today I am actually releasing the demo for 0.1.0. I have fully implemented the character and blocks and general mechanics behind and scenes as well as updated to SAGL 1.3 which adds minor performance improvements and does a few other things in the background, most notable being more information in unhandled exceptions. Now this includes many updates as follows:

• Full recode to SAGL 1.x
  • Player fully implemented.
  • Head rotates towards mouse.
  • Render culling
  • Stone texture changed.

As always your picture:

And here is your download and the source (Game under MIT licence, modding allowed but all credit for game is due to me.):

Public Github - Wiki, Issues, Source code
Latest download.

IF THE GAME DOESN'T BOOT, PROGRAM A LITTLE SHELL/BATCH SCRIPT AND MAKE IT BOOT THE JAR.

Online LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-03-15 03:30:44 »

The game resizes nicely when I resize the window. Its quite slow ~15fps. When I click the X to close the window it kinda stalls and does nothing.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-03-15 03:33:08 »

The game resizes nicely when I resize the window. Its quite slow ~15fps. When I click the X to close the window it kinda stalls and does nothing.

I get a solid 60 fps on the game, but thats probably because I have a really nice computer (not saying yours isn't). I will look into optimizing more of it to make it faster. May I ask did the game not stop at all? Or did it take a few seconds for it to stop.

Online LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-03-15 03:37:52 »

how many tiles are you drawing? (if i fly up so no tiles are drawn it goes to 60 fps). my game can easily run 60 fps drawing over 1000 tiles per frame.

after i click close, it takes 22 seconds to close.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-03-15 07:20:29 »

Better work on the game instead of posting 'demo' which doesn't contain anything..

Need to enable vsync.. Need to make proper physics.. It seems like everything is linear..
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-04-01 13:01:46 »

Ive pushed 0.1.1 to github, however there will be no demo since its only a minor patch, what I had did that made the collision wacky is instead of saying "If there is a block at the head or feet" I said "If there is a block at the head and feet", which you can see how that would mess it up tons.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-04-04 22:12:08 »

I have worked on many ideas, have a lot of them in XMind, and have implemented a few.

I got custom skin color and eyes down, collision down, and I just got loading and saving done.

Unlike Super Doctor Who and SAGL's native way to save and load, I made a new way. I made a  binary based saving loading system based off of Notch's NBT, the format used to save and load minecraft. I also kind of based the chunk format off of his own too.

It works like this, it creates a binary for the chunk, inside that there are binaries for its position, and a compound binary full of blocks, the blocks are named by x and y and inside of them they have binaries for their respective x, y, and id (yes, no longer basing it off of class names, blocks have ids)

Here is a gif of it in action, I saved the map on the first windows, and when I jumped on the second I loaded it, notice how the maps are the same.

The game still has the super doctor who icon Tongue

Click to Play

I hope you guys enjoy my advances in the game and the coding world.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 295
Projects: 11

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #22 - Posted 2014-04-04 22:34:13 »

The maps are not the same. Undecided

Offline Longarmx
« Reply #23 - Posted 2014-04-04 22:36:55 »

Initially, the maps are not the same. But later on he loads the map that he saved from the first game Pointing

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #24 - Posted 2014-04-14 22:17:48 »

Inventory is on the way! As you see I have a stone block in my inv, however the amount you have, and the ability to break/place is still in development, for now, heres some spoilers on the inventory.

What your seeing is a double hotbar, completely independant inventories, which will be used for the 2 hand tool system

e.g. in combat having a shield that gives defence bonus in your front hand and a short sword in the rear

The inventories can be controlled together, and independently very easily with simple key/mouse buttons/strokes. Thats all I will say for now  Lips Sealed

Click to Play

Oh and that world was generated in less than a few seconds. Its 12x12x16x16 blocks.

Offline Coldstream24
« Reply #25 - Posted 2014-04-14 22:22:32 »

That's an interesting concept you've got there.

Yes, I am that same incredibly famous Internet musician.
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #26 - Posted 2014-04-14 22:23:13 »

That's an interesting concept you've got there.

Hopefully I can make it work, I have never seen it in a game and if I do it right I think it will be golden. Anyone agree?

Offline kpars

JGO Kernel

Medals: 107
Projects: 4
Exp: 4 years

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #27 - Posted 2014-04-15 14:53:24 »

It's an interesting concept, but I do feel like the splash screen is there for a tiny bit too long, which I guess isn't an issue if you're doing some valuable things in that time (loading resources, the level, player data files, etc).

- Jev

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #28 - Posted 2014-04-18 19:37:20 »

The game is now named Project NAH. This isnt offical, its just the "alpha/beta" name, and may even be changed again during alpha/beta.

Alpha 0.2.0 is expected to arrive soon. This is what I have so far.

I've changed the inventory hotbars from 10 slots to 5, and made them centered, in addition i fixed the breaking and placing bug I was having, so as you can see I can break/place.

Oh and the inventory controls fully work now, and there are maxstacks and currentstacks so you can just have unlimited stuff. However im still working on displaying strings, and may need a point in the right direction before the number shows on the slots.

Blocks have health now, and a maxhealth, so double pickaxes or double axes, or if I implement multiplayer 2 people will all cause twice, triple, quadruple etc. speed. Its essentially like an entity in a game such as minecraft or terraria, if two people hit the entity, the entity takes damage from both. Because of this, blocks will retain their health which will add, or what I think, some great atmosphere to the game and the ability for me to add some (unpromised) features along with this fact.

Blocks also drop items which can be picked up at the players arm length away.

Oh and as you can see picks are implemented, they increase the players speed at mining stone (obviously)

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #29 - Posted 2014-04-18 20:35:31 »

I'm openly looking for game name ideas. Im thinking along the lines of bloxed, or salutem [SAL-OOT-UM] (one of the many ways of saying survival in latin).

Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

SHC (24 views)
2014-11-25 12:00:59

SHC (23 views)
2014-11-25 11:53:45

Norakomi (21 views)
2014-11-25 11:26:43

Gibbo3771 (22 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16

trollwarrior1 (36 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (74 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (52 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (46 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (41 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (68 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org