Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (553)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  This game sums up a lot  (Read 1577 times)
Online Gibbo3771
« Posted 2014-02-18 14:53:25 »

I would not say I am a very hard person to please, however when it comes to games the last decent FPS worth a salt that I played was BF2, not including single player as I did enjoy such games as Metro 2033.

My mate came on skype and hit out with "You heard of titanfall, looks awesome". He then links the website.

http://www.titanfall.com/game-info

Looks good right? Well I was instantly put off it by the very first line in the first paragraph which reads:

"Crafted by one of the co-creators of Call of Duty and other key developers behind the Call of Duty franchise"

Then it got better, with this at the bottom:

"Founded in 2010, Respawn Entertainment is an independent videogame development studio"

Really?

Since when was being published by EA and having your game hosted on Origin make you independent?

Am I the only one that seems to be picking up games these days, installing them and getting bored a few hours later? Because I can see that happening with this.

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-02-18 15:15:51 »

I'm with you, the last Battlefield I'll play is BFBC2. Yeah, its pretty recent, but I think its the last Battlefield before they kind of sold their souls out and started turning into what Call of Duty is. Games just bore me nowadays, I would rather code. I mean, I play these games:
Payday 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2 and BF2

And honest to god that's about it. Gaming is just getting boring...

Offline theagentd
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-02-18 15:56:57 »

So you guys won't be buying the EA indie bundle then? Roll Eyes

Myomyomyo.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online Gibbo3771
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-02-18 15:58:27 »

So you guys won't be buying the EA indie bundle then? Roll Eyes

Please tell me that is a joke....

Said no programmer ever
Offline kingroka123

JGO Knight

Medals: 29
Projects: 5
Exp: 1 year

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-02-18 16:08:51 »

I am sortof in agreement with you guys. With these kind of games, I usually sit back until either NerdCubed plays it or Total Biscuit reviews it (Total Biscuit more than NerdCubed). If either of those Youtubers recommend the game and I am interested in it, I  might buy it. That is pretty much how I decide wich games to get. I don't look at the company or their past really.

I can guess that I will probably be getting Titan Fall off of Total Biscuit's review of the beta but I will wait until after he reviews the full game because betas can be deceiving.
*note that I also get games based off of what my friends have because every game is better with friends*
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fv9uuQ3T69E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Fv9uuQ3T69E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Online Roquen
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-02-18 16:22:20 »

Since when was being published by EA and having your game hosted on Origin make you independent?
Since always.  There's always been games produced by little companies published/distributed/marketed by the "big" companies.  So none of the games on steam are independents?
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-02-18 16:24:24 »

Since always.  There's always been games produced by little companies published/distributed/marketed by the "big" companies.  So none of the games on steam are independents?
That's different though. Sure, Steam sells and produces games. But EA is a huge publisher which has a much different business mind than Steam. I don't think the people at Valve are as money hungry as the people at EA.

Online Roquen
« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-02-18 16:53:25 »

So same game.  Published on steam it's independent, but published by EA it's not?  Man...where are you buying?
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4

« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-02-18 17:44:19 »

Publisher is independent of who makes it, EA might publish but they don't necessarily make the game. It's the same as steam - you get publicity, and they take commission. Game creation doesn't have anything to do with them.
Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 99
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-02-18 17:47:42 »

Ugh, I know the game industry isn't what it used to be. However, it seems like the user base as well is suffering from being mis-informed as well. I am not a fan of the big giant blockbuster titles myself. However, I usually love doing research on games before I buy them. Judging a game based on the company it comes from is naive. There is a lot going on, like company mergers and people using these companies for distribution. A little bit of research will reveal a lot about the origins of a game.

As for Titanfall, like all modern shooters, it seems like it was designed to be flashy. I am very weary of modern shooters because they've pretty much always have been flashy but lacked on single player game play. The only reason I purchase them now is if a bunch of my friends have it and we need a way to pass the time. Since I've been developing, I haven't gotten another shooter since CoD:MW2. Until they give me another reason, I am probably not coming back to shooters...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 246
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-02-18 18:51:32 »

I believe it only counts as publisher if they take the rights to distributing the game.

Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-02-19 06:08:18 »

But EA is a huge publisher which has a much different business mind than Steam. I don't think the people at Valve are as money hungry as the people at EA.
Thats crazy talk! Valve is a business. Not a charity. EA "supports" indie developers by allowing them a shot at getting into their store through the greenlight process, but its not out of the goodness of their hearts! If Valve felt they would make more money by not selling indie games then they would do it in a heartbeat.

Dont confuse that with being evil or bad or whatever. Its fine, its a business. Same with EA. They serve different markets with different ideas of what they want from games.
Online Gibbo3771
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-02-19 06:19:15 »

I believe it only counts as publisher if they take the rights to distributing the game.

Being on origin and having the logo slapped on the website seems to give that impression.

Publisher is independent of who makes it, EA might publish but they don't necessarily make the game. It's the same as steam - you get publicity, and they take commission. Game creation doesn't have anything to do with them.

So your saying regardless of publisher, if the team that makes it label themselves as indie developers, that makes it so?

"Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support."

Said no programmer ever
Online Roquen
« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-02-19 07:14:32 »

Exactly.  It's how the game's created that makes it indy or not.  How it gets published/marketed/distributed doesn't matter.  Same thing for films.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-02-19 07:29:02 »

So your saying regardless of publisher, if the team that makes it label themselves as indie developers, that makes it so?

No, if the team that makes it is indie, then that makes it so. Collaboration with EA/Steam(Valve) is just like a business partnership, they're not counted as part of the indie game company.
Online Gibbo3771
« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-02-19 07:31:58 »

No, if the team that makes it is indie, then that makes it so. Collaboration with EA/Steam(Valve) is just like a business partnership, they're not counted as part of the indie game company.

Lol well the original definition of Independent Game Developer seems to be inaccurate with today's standards.

The original idea of an indie company means that they do not rely on publishers.

Said no programmer ever
Offline kramin42
« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-02-19 07:50:40 »

IMO as long as the publisher does not have any say over what goes in the game then it is independently *developed*. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is true of indie games on Steam.

Whereas if the publisher say the game needs e.g. cute critters that they can make toys out of then that is definitely not indie development.

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford.
CodeGolf4k
M4nkala
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-02-19 07:57:25 »

Notice the term - indie game developer. Publisher = marketing. Nothing to do with development.
Offline Phibedy

Medals: 8

« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-02-19 08:23:33 »

Notice the term - indie game developer. Publisher = marketing. Nothing to do with development.
Roll Eyes
As a developer you have to care about the publisher and if your company doesn't have enough money to create the game you have to do what the publisher says because he pays. If you want to add some nice features and fix some bugs before releasing it and the publisher says: "We wanna release the game". You release it. Game development in huge companies isn't about making "nice games" it's about making money. That's why they are called companies. Only a few indie developers make enough money while creating "nice games".
That's why new AA games are all closely the same (just average games with some nice marketing) , they aren't made to be played for a long time because they wanna sell DLCs and new games.
Offline pitbuller
« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-02-19 10:52:28 »

Roll Eyes
As a developer you have to care about the publisher and if your company doesn't have enough money to create the game you have to do what the publisher says because he pays. If you want to add some nice features and fix some bugs before releasing it and the publisher says: "We wanna release the game". You release it. Game development in huge companies isn't about making "nice games" it's about making money. That's why they are called companies. Only a few indie developers make enough money while creating "nice games".
That's why new AA games are all closely the same (just average games with some nice marketing) , they aren't made to be played for a long time because they wanna sell DLCs and new games.
In how many big companies you have been worked then? Also indie niche market is stronger than ever so there are a lot more than few successs story in nice game category.
Offline Phibedy

« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-02-19 15:11:03 »

In how many big companies you have been worked then? Also indie niche market is stronger than ever so there are a lot more than few successs story in nice game category.
I am still a student, I read some articles about steam greenlight and EA as publisher. If you are interested in just google it. For example a developer of bf3 gave a great interview.
There are much more people who failed becoming an independet developer, because in the end you have to pay the bills.
For example Puppy games make great games but if you have a look at their blog they aren't doing it to earn money. If you don't have a luck-shot like minecraft, flappy birds (yes he earned a lot of money) you need money to promote your game. There are so many good games with low counters in the playstore because the people don't see it.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-02-19 17:36:45 »

Roll Eyes
I'm not saying the publisher isn't important, or isn't related to the developer. But the classification of the game stays the same regardless of where you get the game. An indie game does not cease being an indie game just because you buy it on origin.com rather than myindiewebsite.com.
Online Gibbo3771
« Reply #22 - Posted 2014-02-19 18:36:03 »

Roll Eyes
I'm not saying the publisher isn't important, or isn't related to the developer. But the classification of the game stays the same regardless of where you get the game. An indie game does not cease being an indie game just because you buy it on origin.com rather than myindiewebsite.com.

But it does if it requires third party publishers to get it off the shelf. That is what makes a game an indie game, independent of publishers.

That is ofc different from independently developed, as we cleared up earlier.

Said no programmer ever
Offline Phibedy

« Reply #23 - Posted 2014-02-19 20:42:15 »

But it does if it requires third party publishers to get it off the shelf. That is what makes a game an indie game, independent of publishers.

That is ofc different from independently developed, as we cleared up earlier.
Yes Smiley
Offline Oskuro

JGO Knight

Medals: 39
Exp: 6 years

Coding in Style

« Reply #24 - Posted 2014-02-20 13:49:22 »

The sad truth is that it really doesn't matter what the term "independent" means. What matters is that, right now, it is a popular term that boosts sales.

But this isn't really new, I mean, same thing happened with movies and music. The term "indie" keeps been thrown around depending on its marketability.

So... Don't sweat it. Just know what you like.

As for games being more disposable today... I have the suspicion this is both due to the status of the industry (more market saturation that makes it less necessary to stick with a single title, plus people being more used to different genres so it's harder to be compelling) and due to design (games that are disposable mean players will want to buy a new one soon enough).

Because I'd bet Titanfall 2 is already in production.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CopyableCougar4 (24 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (34 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (30 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (28 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (18 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (27 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (65 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (41 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (42 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org