Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Nightmare Forest  (Read 1623 times)
Offline Tridecimal

Junior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Posted 2014-01-26 20:08:23 »

This is a simple, but hopefully effective horror game I have made using LWJGL, inspired by games like SCP and Slender.  There really isn't a goal except to explore and take in the atmosphere.  The game is randomly generated so you never know when the scare is coming.  I will add more screenshots if needed, but I don't want to give anything away.  The game isn't over until the game turns itself off.

Controls :
ESC - Exit game
F - Turn full screen on/off
R - Lock/unlock mouse to window
W - Move forward
S - Move backward
A - Strafe left
D - Strafe right

EXE : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/b8akzwh2pa2yb63/Nightmare%20Forest.exe?dl=1&token_hash=AAEkBwi5OhrEVlxqYhDEE-vCzYvZbzMqXXvisOfRgi56Og

JAR : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/0uugls1cev5j6mo/Nightmare%20Forest.jar?dl=1&token_hash=AAEMB74IQgZ5EBirTvDzK32AcPKLYUJV00EjSS8ZAg1PWg
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-01-26 20:34:12 »

Sounds cool, but a couple things.

That image is way too dark. Can't even see it with my brightness all the way up on my phone.

You need to let the user exit the game. Its a cool idea, but people need to be able to quit.

Offline Tridecimal

Junior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-01-26 20:44:01 »

You need to let the user exit the game. Its a cool idea, but people need to be able to quit.

I've fixed that up. The new controls are:
ESC - Exit game
F - Turn full screen on/off
R - Lock/unlock mouse to window
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Drenius
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-01-26 22:27:57 »

Ok... Looks good! Maybe a little bit senseless, short, but good!
Walking around a tree looks... not very good... maybe you could use some different sprites for different view angles...?
Also: What about making the tree sprites getting darker from the center to the edges? It could give them a nice lighting effect.
Carry on!
Offline kingroka123

JGO Ninja

Medals: 29
Projects: 5
Exp: 1 year

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-01-26 22:51:18 »

Wow I actually jumped a bit when the scare happened persecutioncomplex. Good Job Shocked! Do you plan on expanding the game or are you done for now?

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-01-27 02:25:30 »

Darn-it! I figured the jump-scare craze was over  Angry!

Pretty nice though. It took me a bit to get my bearings and move around, but once I did, I was suspended in awe. You might not want such a quick jump scare though. Drag it on for a bit, with a little more.. variety. Let the user explore a bit, and then get scared of what could be around them.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-01-27 06:06:42 »

I think the key to making a good horror game is to make the player concentrate. (Scary Maze) Once the player is concentrated you can easily scare him. In this game it is like randomly walking, nothing happening and something appears on the screen. I was like wtf is that? And then the game exited.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print