Super Doctor Who!  (Read 8181 times)
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 292
Projects: 11
Exp: 3 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #60 - Posted 2014-01-27 21:12:52 »

Adding on to what @wessles said, maybe you should parse levels from an image. It doesn't take up that much space, and makes it really easy to design levels because you can see what it will look like as you edit it.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

Medals: 6
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

The one and only.

« Reply #61 - Posted 2014-01-28 00:22:19 »

Swordsminer, this is going great, but I have one complaint about your engine.

XML level format. You really have to get a new level editing idea, because that is just crazy inefficient. You are essentially using 20-30x as much space as you could be if you used standard level saving ideas, like saving a text file full of ID's. This will result in longer editing time, and longer parsing time.

Hope this helps,
-wes

May you teach me how to do such wessles? I honestly don't know, and when I think about doing that my head explodes. First, how would you dynamically give blocks an ID, or atleast practically (enums), how do you parse that, and then how do you read it. I mean, I have Arrays that have to be filled here Tongue

With that said. It would make my game highly more efficient if I had block data that could be transferred (wouldn't have to have 2 door blocks, open, and closed for example)

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 74
Projects: 4
Exp: 4 years

Radirius Software

« Reply #62 - Posted 2014-01-28 00:34:40 »

0 -> Assign an ID to all tile-types
1 -> Use PrintWriter to write all the corresponding ID's
2 -> Read it later, and assign a Tile[][] to all of the IDS's
3 -> Render

Of course, this is a pain to get working if you have no experience with ID based-tiles.

I usually use Doppler Tile Map Editor to edit the maps. I actually wrote a writer and parser for it in my game engine MERCury. You can find it here, if you want. I used it a bit, and it seems fairly clear from any bugs. It is independent, of the engine itself, so you can just take it only, and not the rest of the engine, since you seem fairly opposed to that.

Have a blast,
-wes

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #63 - Posted 2014-01-28 00:38:37 »

0 -> Assign an ID to all tile-types

How to assign dynamically ids other than new Tile(Game game, Integer id) because that can blow up easy, and *head explodes*

EDIT: I know how to do it with tilemaps, but I dont want to!

If I made you laugh, helped you at all, or did something cool, I only ask that you smash that appreciate button with your nose.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Radirius Software

« Reply #64 - Posted 2014-01-28 00:47:29 »

I like notches approach in Minecraft. Here is how I use it now:
// Tile.java
public static Tile stone = new TileStone().setId(0).setSolid(true);
public static Tile dirt = new TileDirt().setId(1).setSolid(false);

// Game.java
Tile.stone.render(x, y);

It's basically a hacked up enum that you can do just a bit more with.

But I can't do everything for you, but I am confident that you can find your way from this point.

Have fun,
-wes

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #65 - Posted 2014-01-28 01:02:08 »

I like notches approach in Minecraft. Here is how I use it now:
// Tile.java
public static Tile stone = new TileStone().setId(0).setSolid(true);
public static Tile dirt = new TileDirt().setId(1).setSolid(false);

// Game.java
Tile.stone.render(x, y);

It's basically a hacked up enum that you can do just a bit more with.

But I can't do everything for you, but I am confident that you can find your way from this point.

Have fun,
-wes

I did that when I modded minecraft, I can probably do something, (My render code is funny and a bit personalized, I cant just Tile.stone.render). But then the question comes, because I want to use it, how do I get the Doppler Tile Map Editor to work something thats not a tilemap

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Radirius Software

« Reply #66 - Posted 2014-01-28 01:05:45 »

thats not a tilemap
What do you mean? Are you not using tiles? Do you mean the level you have made so far?

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #67 - Posted 2014-01-28 01:17:34 »

I've decided to make my own format, but more efficient and using ids.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Radirius Software

« Reply #68 - Posted 2014-01-28 01:29:45 »

Nice!
One thing you may find... frustrating later on is making a level editor. I mean, it won't hurt for a bit, but when it does... Ger. That is why I write parsers instead, but go with whatever you want.

Good luck!
-wes

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #69 - Posted 2014-01-28 01:32:06 »

Nice!
One thing you may find... frustrating later on is making a level editor. I mean, it won't hurt for a bit, but when it does... Ger. That is why I write parsers instead, but go with whatever you want.

Good luck!
-wes

I mean wessles, the way I setup my code is not compatible with any other level editors because the background is made up of Block.class and if its in the foreground its just given a darker tint. If I can figure a solution for the background I am fine Tongue

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #70 - Posted 2014-01-28 01:52:46 »

Ill figure something out anyways.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #71 - Posted 2014-01-28 02:00:15 »

Lightbulb: I should implement something like Portal 2's Co-op mode implemented by valve, but I want to make it so there is no port forwarding or servers.. Ill look into something like that. Anyone have some other good ideas?

Offline kingroka123

JGO Ninja

Medals: 41
Projects: 6

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #72 - Posted 2014-01-28 02:38:29 »

Multiplayer without servers? I don't know if that's possible but I would like to not have to forward my ports everytime i want to start a server. I really like the game and idea though. As a huge Doctor Who fan, I commend you on your venture in this game.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #73 - Posted 2014-01-28 02:56:46 »

It would work like Minecraft's LAN system. RIP the host.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 159
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #74 - Posted 2014-01-28 13:29:54 »

Thats still a server and it still has ports... Not to mention you're severely limiting the player in what they can do. I could care less about playing on LAN, I rarely ever do. LAN parties are fun, but you need both.

And no, not RIP the host. LAN still has a host.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #75 - Posted 2014-01-28 19:03:42 »

Thats still a server and it still has ports... Not to mention you're severely limiting the player in what they can do. I could care less about playing on LAN, I rarely ever do. LAN parties are fun, but you need both.

And no, not RIP the host. LAN still has a host.

No. I ment it will work like minecraft's lan system because I hope to use a protocol that does not require forwarding, I probably wont but I was putting it out there that was the goal, and compared it to its lan system because minecraft auto detects the ports and IP and the person "hosting" is the server. Thats what I meant.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #76 - Posted 2014-02-01 23:53:36 »

I have the ability to resize fully implemented into the engine, I just hackishly but extremely efficiently used glViewport. I also added fullscreen but it can only be enabled via hardcode atm, and I have the basic system that will allow LAN and WAN parties. *woo*

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Radirius Software

« Reply #77 - Posted 2014-02-02 04:34:00 »

Woah! You got LAN working that quickly?! Demo, please?

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #78 - Posted 2014-02-02 16:33:06 »

Woah! You got LAN working that quickly?! Demo, please?

Its not fully implemented. Let patience await you Wink

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #79 - Posted 2014-02-02 17:39:38 »

I have the basics of the system fully implemented now, but I am worn out to the point where I am too lazy to implement the rest (MPPlayer classes and packets for host and client to send back and forth) but I have the login and basic rejection system in so thats nice. While i am at it give me some ideas!

Offline StephenJSweeney

Junior Devvie

Medals: 1
Projects: 3

« Reply #80 - Posted 2014-02-02 17:45:21 »

re: the map editor.

When I made Metal Blob Solid, my map data would simply be a series of numbers:

0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
4 4 4 4 4

0 = empty square
1 = water
2 = slime
3 = lava
4 - 150 = a ground tile
151 - 200 = foreground tile

The map data lived in a multidimensional array:

private final int data[][] = new int[WIDTH][HEIGHT];

The game would then load the tile set, looking for files called 1.png, 2.png, 3.png, etc. It wouldn't error on a missing tile image, so you wouldn't need to provide all 200. Creating a map editor for this was very, very easy, as it was just updating a number in a multidimensional array.

Consider doing that, if you've not done so already.
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #81 - Posted 2014-02-02 19:11:26 »

I've seen this project in the latest posts but never really looked at it. Strange, because I used to watch the show a ton.
I'll say one thing:
I love the Dalek.

Pretty cool man Pointing

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #82 - Posted 2014-02-04 02:29:27 »

This is my beautiful bitmap font I made.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 292
Projects: 11

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #83 - Posted 2014-02-05 04:30:58 »

With 2D lighting you can cheat and not have to rely too much on GLSL.

Just draw all the visible lights onto a black image, and then multiply the RGB of the lighting image with the RGB of the current view. (You might need GLSL here)

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #84 - Posted 2014-02-05 23:51:36 »

The lightmap is no longer bounded to the screen and can be as small (in pixels) as 0 pixels and as big as Integer.MAX_VALUE, heres a picture of it at 64 pixels, the border around the map that would be nothing is now just black and a border isn't created if the lightmap is bigger than the screen.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Radirius Software

« Reply #85 - Posted 2014-02-05 23:53:46 »

I don't really like that. It looks like a diamond, when a reverse vignette effect would be far better looking.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #86 - Posted 2014-02-05 23:54:34 »

It will be fixed as soon as you give me a ratio Wink

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 159
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #87 - Posted 2014-02-05 23:55:50 »

Um, what ratio? He meant the diamond looks weird because its well... diamond shaped. Lights don't naturally project in a diamond shape.

Offline SwordsMiner

JGO Coder

The one and only.

« Reply #88 - Posted 2014-02-05 23:56:41 »

I ment of width to height, should've clarified. Ill fix it and make it look less diamond shaped.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Radirius Software

« Reply #89 - Posted 2014-02-06 00:01:31 »

You don't need a width and height. Just a one radius.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

trollwarrior1 (29 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (71 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (50 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (44 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (38 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (62 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14

TehJavaDev (67 views)
2014-11-03 22:04:50

BurntPizza (64 views)
2014-11-03 18:54:52

moogie (80 views)
2014-11-03 06:22:04

CopyableCougar4 (80 views)
2014-11-01 23:36:41
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org