games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Keyboard spill! :D  (Read 1684 times)
Offline trollwarrior1
« Posted 2014-01-11 07:39:03 »

Long story short: I spilled milk on my keyboard yesterday. It was working just fine. Today few keys are completely f**ked up. My keyboard has no screws. So I decided to just put it in the water Cheesy\

I did some reading and I found out that it is actually stuff that is left after the water is dried out that causes the keyboard to go f**ked up. Do I have any hopes of fixing my keyboard by just leaving it in the water and drying it after wards?
Offline Axeman

Medals: 7

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-01-11 09:11:58 »

You let is soak in water like a shirt with a mustard stain?? Cheesy
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-01-11 09:17:10 »

I just filled my tub with some water so my keyboard is completely sunk in there. I also put some "fairy" dish wash so that no oil is left on the keyboard. I then washed it for 5 minutes under running water. Now I'm gonna wait 12 hours or something, till tomorrow's morning.

You think it is gonna work? Cheesy
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-01-11 10:10:30 »

12h won't be enough for it to dry properly. I would leave it alone for at least a week.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 781
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-01-11 12:50:34 »

Proper keyboards cost $20. For me it wouldn't be worth trying to fix it, but I understand for some people that's a significant amount of money. Maybe you could ask a friend for a discarded one? I'd consider your milk spilled keyboard a loss.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline xsvenson
« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-01-11 13:29:40 »

I have washed quite a few of my keyboards but I usually take out the electronics first.
Today's keyboard casing should be quite resistant from spills that come from above, of course submerging the complete keyboard in a water, is a bit different thing.

Also a blow dryer comes handy.

“The First Rule of Program Optimization: Don't do it. The Second Rule of Program Optimization (for experts only!): Don't do it yet.” - Michael A. Jackson
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-01-11 13:33:57 »

That keyboard was like 35$ or something.
Why would it be lost? It was working yesterday perfectly. Milk probably dried off and left those dry "marks" which are causing the problems. Will just have to see.
Offline Phibedy

Medals: 8

« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-01-11 13:52:27 »

if you haven't used distilled water the salts could also screw it up,
but we will see  Grin
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-01-11 14:57:58 »

Someone said that I should leave it for a week to dry. That got me thinking, maybe when I turned on the keyboard today, it still wasn't try from yesterday? Cheesy
Offline nerb
« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-01-11 15:26:00 »

I put my car key through the washing machine a while ago. It's one of those electronic, proximity jobbies so it didn't like it too much. After letting it dry I opened it up. There was a lot of what I assume was copper oxide all over the PCB, so I wiped this off. Apart from the battery going flat, it was right as rain then. Point is, after submersing it in water you might have trouble with corrosion, which might cause your keyboard to play silly buggers.

Good luck!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Screem
« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-01-11 16:17:51 »

You... submerged it in water? Huh

AFAIK, water + electronics = dead. Water (and milk, I guess) short-circuits the components, thus they function improperly.

I would just get a new keyboard. You don't need to buy an expensive one either; a $25 Logitech keyboard works just as fine as a $100 gaming keyboard. Cheesy

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-01-11 16:25:23 »

Um. Did you ever tried typing on a mechanical keyboard?
Cherry MX Blue switches is the best feeling you could ever feel when typing probably. Its as if keys are pressing by themselves. Too bad I don't have money to buy one Cheesy

And my keyboard was working properly yesterday. I don't think it shorted out.

------------------
Edit

My mom was putting stuff into laundry machine and my phone was in my pants that time. So after some time I noticed my phone was gone and turns out it was being cleaned along with all the clothes.
After that, I tried charging it up, but it didn't work. So I declared it dead.
After a week my dad decided to charge it up just for fun. After 1 hour or something it turned on.
It was completely soaked with water when I took it out of those pants. You could see the water in the screen Cheesy

The magical thing is that it wasn't off when it was submerged into water. It was working at that time. But probably after being under water it released ALL the energy into water, which is the reason it only turned on after 1 hour or so of charging.

Keyboard is probably even less prone to shorting out. Though I never done this before, I will surely post the results Cheesy

Ow I can still see washing powder on the screen Cheesy
Offline theagentd
« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-01-11 19:40:15 »

I washed my headphones once. They have never been this clean or sounded this good before. Apple never said that the iOS 7 update also covered headphones! Roll Eyes

Myomyomyo.
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-01-11 19:41:06 »

I have a Razer deathstalker, spilled nearly everything you can think of into it and it still functions perfectly Cheesy

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-01-11 20:46:12 »

Dammit I need a better keyboard. I have one of those old Dell keyboards that are louder than a bulldozer and feel incredibly awkward..

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline Screem
« Reply #15 - Posted 2014-01-11 20:55:14 »

I have a Razer BlackWidow with Cherry MX Blue switches. I loved it at first, but using for a year got me tired of the really loud clicking. I recently bought a small, wireless Logitech keyboard and love it. I guess I just prefer simple flat keyboards. Cheesy

Anyways, I've never spilled anything on my electronics as I don't eat or drink in my room. Cheesy I've only ever had water damage to my phone, and had to get it replaced as the microphone and home button stopped working. :-/

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #16 - Posted 2014-01-11 21:07:34 »

I was thinking of getting Brown ones, as I kinda don't like that clicking too Tongue
Offline Varkas
« Reply #17 - Posted 2014-01-11 22:22:25 »

Do I have any hopes of fixing my keyboard by just leaving it in the water and drying it after wards?

There is a chance. Keyboards are not that high tech that some stray micro currents will ruin it altogether. If you have, blow the remaining water out with pressured air before drying. And as formerly noted, dry it well.

I think if you use distilled or demineralized water it's safer, there are no minerals/salts in there which minimizes the problems with the electronics.

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #18 - Posted 2014-01-12 11:53:44 »

Um just wondering what would the symptoms of a dead keyboard be?
Offline nerb
« Reply #19 - Posted 2014-01-12 12:05:32 »

Um just wondering what would the symptoms of a dead keyboard be?

Keyboard no make letters???
Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #20 - Posted 2014-01-12 17:10:29 »

Heh had this before, not with milk thought but with an entire can of strongbow....

It was a G15 keyboard, it was honestly goosed, nothing would work on it. Being about 3 years old I decided to just try and wash it and if it broke then meh.

Left it in my bath in warm water for an hour, let it dry for 2 weeks.

Typing with it right now, 3 years later.

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Radirius Software Lead Developer

« Reply #21 - Posted 2014-01-12 17:58:47 »

Its threads like this that make me happy I have a waterproof keyboard.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #22 - Posted 2014-01-12 18:37:16 »

Heh had this before, not with milk thought but with an entire can of strongbow....

It was a G15 keyboard, it was honestly goosed, nothing would work on it. Being about 3 years old I decided to just try and wash it and if it broke then meh.

Left it in my bath in warm water for an hour, let it dry for 2 weeks.

Typing with it right now, 3 years later.

I don't think it is possible to break a keyboard with spillage. The current that runs in there is just too low. The problem with wet stuff in electronics is when current is strong. It can pass in so much current because of water that the part will break. Since keyboard is using "as less current as possible", it just can't melt anything in there. It will always work no matter what. The problem is that when it is not dry, the water "connects" few lines into one, glitching the keyboard. If the spill is not water, after drying it will leave something behind, like milk. That will also cause the keyboard to malfunction. In that case, you need to wash the keyboard in water.

I hope my hypothesis is correct Cheesy
Offline Longarmx
« Reply #23 - Posted 2014-01-13 05:43:01 »

If you spill water in your keyboard, it will short circuit it. Mind you, this isn't as bad of problem as short circuiting a wall socket (my keyboard runs on 3v) but it may still cause a problem. If you ever hook up a wire then the battery gets very hot. This is because if the lower resistance. Since v=ir according to ohms law, the current becomes very high which means that many more electrons are passing through the circuit every second. Depending on where you spill it may or may not cause a problem. If the spill only connects for example, the two ends of a switch, then no harm is caused because those wires were supposed to be able to connect. On the flip side, if you spill water on the anode and cathode power ports, then problems will come f you don't remove power quickly because it will heat up extremely fast.

It is true that you should wash out your keyboard if you have spilled milk on it to get rid of the residue. But make SURE that all of the water has completely evaporated before plugging your keyboard back into power.

Also, sorry to say, but your hypothesis is only partially correct. Your keyboard will not function if thre is water on it even though it is a very low current. That water is connecting parts of your keyboard that weren't meant to be connected and it may just not give any feedback or it will burn up the circuitry.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #24 - Posted 2014-01-13 06:08:42 »

44 hours after cleaning the keyboard with water.

Yesterday my keyboard had "mashed" 4 keys. Today, the keyboard is working almost perfectly. The only thing I'm experiencing is that keys U and 8 near (the close one) are hard to press, like a lot of keys yesterday. (I mean to register the key.)

Everything except those 2 keys works perfectly. I will try to plug the keyboard in again after 4 hours. Should be fine by then! Smiley

Shorting out has nothing to do with breaking. Shorting out means connecting 2 things that were not supposed to connect, glitching the system. You can plug in a keyboard and spill a bucket of water on it and it will still not break, only won't work until you dry it properly.
Offline SHC
« Reply #25 - Posted 2014-01-13 08:53:01 »

I would wipe it off with a cloth dipped in detergent water and then again with a dry cloth. My keyboard costs $3.26 (according to google)

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #26 - Posted 2014-01-13 08:58:57 »

SHC did you read the original post? By cleaning with water I meant putting it into a bath tub with water, so the inside electronics get cleaned from milk.
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 362
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2014-01-13 09:45:55 »

You'll need a small amount of non-foaming detergent too, and use hot water. Agitate the keyboard while it's immersed for a few minutes. Take it out, give it a good shake, and leave it somewhere very warm and dry for a week. Chances are it'll never recover but there we go.

Cas Smiley

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #28 - Posted 2014-01-13 09:49:45 »

You'll need a small amount of non-foaming detergent too, and use hot water. Agitate the keyboard while it's immersed for a few minutes. Take it out, give it a good shake, and leave it somewhere very warm and dry for a week. Chances are it'll never recover but there we go.

Cas Smiley

It already works almost perfectly. I don't know why, but I hope it still hasn't dried properly. 7&, U and ARROW_DOWN keys need to be pressed really hard to register.
Offline Varkas
« Reply #29 - Posted 2014-01-13 11:33:15 »

I guess there are some sticky remains in there. As princec said, try to work the stuck keys while washing the keyboard.

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (26 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (13 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (20 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (59 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org