Games in Android Showcase (117)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Java Games Community Board of Directors  (Read 3789 times)
Offline Athomas Goldberg

Grrrrrr...

« Posted 2004-01-15 22:13:30 »

In order to better serve the needs of the Java Games Community, we are establishing a Java Games Community Board of Directors which will be responsible for setting policy and direction for the site and representing the will of the membership in the management of the community.

The board will consist of 3 members: one Sun employee selected by Sun Microsystems, and 2 members chosen by the community. Nominations for the two open slots should be submitted to dev@games.dev.java.net by the end of next week.

Voting will take place in the following week.

A draft of the proposed board guidelines & election procedures can be found here: https://games.dev.java.net/JavaGamesBoardRules.html

If you have any questions please let me know.

EDIT: We are extending the deadline for nominations to Jan 30th. Elections will take place the first week in February.

Athomas Goldberg
Project Lead / Wildcard
Game Technologies Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-01-16 06:15:37 »

Will there be a public announcement and discussion about the candidates?

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-01-16 12:21:22 »

What are the three members actually supposed to do? I read the mission of the Java Games Community Board, but it sounds very vague to me (maybe this is intented). If "group A" developes a game, can it ask a board member to help promoting the game? Can the group ask for financial support? Or is it more meant as a discussion: Let's assume all three agree that we need Java on consoles. Can the Sun employee then go and ask if Sun is so kind to produce a console version of Java?

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-01-16 12:39:06 »

Yeah, knowing what this board is actually empowered to do would be helpful.  
responsible for setting policy and direction for the site and representing the will of the membership in the management of the community.

Doesn't sound like much really.  Not much more than web site admins.  What is the relationship of the board with the rest of the gaming industry and the rest of Sun?

Will the board decide what the Game Tech Group spends it's budget on etc? Will it be involved in marketing Sun's Gaming Strategy?

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-01-16 23:31:35 »

No.  You don't get to run any part of Sun, sorry.  (You didnt really think the answer was yes did you?)

The point is to allow you guys to control the direction of this community.   Sun's part of it is providing the online resources as they exist.

SO for instance, if you decided you really wanted to go to different forum software and could find a solution that was free or the mebers were willing to chip in for, that would be one  kind of thing.

If you decided you wanted to change the rules for projects, either how they are approved or how they are aged, that might be another kind of thing the board might do.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-01-17 01:58:19 »

Well, I thought I was stretching it.. but I was hoping that the real answer would be somewhere in-between web site operator and what I was saying.

It sounded like the 'Java Games Community' was being viewed as some sort of business unit.  When the term 'Board of Directors' was used I thought there might be some business decisions involving money or other resources.  But your mention of 'free' or paid for by the users forum software suggests that isn't really the case.  Unless we started collecting dues and had a treasurer and the whole bit...  which may not be all that bad of an idea.  I wonder if the idea of a 'premium' JGO member would make sense? Well I guess we can discuss that with the Board Smiley

Offline Athomas Goldberg

Grrrrrr...

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-01-26 15:46:19 »

We have gotten some good nominations so far, but would like to see more community involvement, so...

We are extending the nomination process another week and will be making an announcement on the JavaGames Community Homepage in order to get the word out to members who may have missed this discussion originally. Elections will be held following the nomination period.

List of current nominees:

David Yazel
Gregory Pierce
Shawn Kendall

If you would like to nominate someone (including yourself!) please send your nominations to:

dev@games.dev.java.net

Athomas Goldberg
Project Lead / Wildcard
Game Technologies Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-01-26 16:59:00 »

Is it possible to elect someone, who doesn't want to be member of the Board of Directors? It would be quite nice to know if the nominees intend to spend some time doing their job (although it's probably not that much to do).

Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-01-27 01:25:52 »

I would like to say I gratefully accept the nomination.

I have been spotty on the forums lately due to two large projects, our book and upcoming GDC demos but I am always ever watchfully and supportive of the communities activities.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline Herkules

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-01-27 04:34:08 »

List of current nominees:

David Yazel
Gregory Pierce
Shawn Kendall

Good list of well-known persons. What I'd be missing a bit .... nobody of them is making games for a living? Nobody from europe, where one of the biggest games markets resides?

I've no candidate at hand, but someone else has an idea?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-01-27 05:09:10 »

Yeah, I completely agree with Herkules. One might even expand the board to say 5 members, in order to get a more mixed board? Commercial, Open Source, Hobbyist, Research, Indie, Sun?

I would recommend Cas as a member, but I know he is bloody busy these days, so I don't know if he would want to be elected...

Offline Herkules

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-01-27 05:11:57 »

Hey, Cas was on my mind as well, but I wanted to ask him BEFORE I bring his name into play here....

There a SO many J2ME games companies out there ... nobody of them here?

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-01-27 05:45:02 »

Hey, Cas was on my mind as well, but I wanted to ask him BEFORE I bring his name into play here....

Aren't Cas and Blahblah in the games industry for full time? If they'd be interested we could name them. :-)
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-01-27 05:49:07 »

Well, I work full time for a games company too (Multi/Single player desktop and J2ME games). But I don't know if I am the right one for this Smiley, my schedule is a bit busy too, and I have a lot of stuff I need to do for LWJGL, so if the amount of work is more than some undefinable degree I wouldn't be interested.

Hmm, another thing that strikes me - having people placed all over the world, brings in the problem of timezones when meeting  :-/

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 380
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-01-27 06:22:59 »

As you all know, I am always awake  Roll Eyes However, I'm busy as hell right now so I'd be a poor choice (this year at least). The most time I can get away with is nerding in here.

...of course, if I had a bit more of the ears of a JVM engineer to hand I might be persuaded Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-01-27 06:54:01 »

Hmm, another thing that strikes me - having people placed all over the world, brings in the problem of timezones when meeting  :-/

Should be solvable - a nice Java applet maybe. ;-)

Well in case you would have the time for such e-meetings, we could name you, too. :-)
I think Herkules could be named to, just in case he would be interested. He's also a long-time Java games fan and board member?
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-01-27 09:51:00 »

Aren't Cas and Blahblah in the games industry for full time? If they'd be interested we could name them. :-)

...and we both happen to be in the UK too :). (fx: sends email and nominates self).

I too think that we could do with a few more than 2 community members. Since the Sun member already has the deciding bonus vote (standard practice, of course), it's OK to have an even number of total members, so perhaps we could have 3 community if not 4?

Last time I spoke to ChrisM, he pointed out that everyone here has their strong points, and are good at recognizing their weak points, forming a mutually supportive structure - 3D experts help those of us who have never used OpenGL, whilst some of the OGL newbies may know almost everything about game-design, say, and return the favour later on. There's no ego problems (no "I know everything about X, ergo I'm right about everything else too").

Perhaps I'm being unfair here, but from that I think we've got a fairly good idea of each other's strengths, and I don't think there are any two people who between them cover everything (..nor even come close to doing so). But it's early days, so perhaps we just see how it goes (I suspect that the GTG guys have worked hard to get it this far already...).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-01-27 11:08:01 »

I nominated Yuri Gushchin. He is a full-time developer (runs his own company) and has excellent skills.

Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-01-27 12:51:16 »

This situation on this board is fairly typical of many industries when it comes to community outreach.  That is, those deeply involved in industry projects are too "booked" to commit to constant outside help over a year period but they do what they can.

At Full Sail we have an curriculum advisory board made up of all working industry people that meets twice a year for accreditation standards and that is tough to coordinate.  Additionally, these working insiders really don't usually speak the language of the average starting student ( or beginning developer ) and can have a difficult time expressing game related study topics because the student doesn't have rudimentary vocabulary of a working insider

This is where industry and R & D academics fit in nicely and why many colleges are set up this way.
In short, we act as translators between the two worlds while also teaching the language to the students along the way.  
First, based on feedback from the advisers, we develop curriculum that reflects what the industry is using and developing.
Second, we present that curriculum using techniques, examples, tutorials, presentations, and special events that are based on the process of learning and (typically) outside of game development.(of course some games teach and use the same techniques)

I am all for having direct industry participants on the Java Games Community Board of Directors should one become available.  But remember their expertise is making games not necessarily maintaining a community forum about game technologies. I don't feel that NOT having one as a director is a "Bad Thing". They are here and they talk to us when they can.

On a side note, when the Java Game Expert groups was in full swing, it was made from about 90% industry people, with remaining 10% Sun people and myself. And attendance at meetings reflected  about the same percentages.  Actually not really that bad, but most of the time only half of the COMMITTED participants were available due to their project demands.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-02-02 22:32:16 »

We only get 1 vote?

JK

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline javapunk

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-02-03 15:50:45 »

Who are these people? Why should I care?
I have heard the names of these people in passing but who are they? How can I vote if I have no idea who is best. Can't the nominees say "My name is Smith and I will do x,y and z. I have   a,b and c experience?" How about endorsements people saying, "Elect Smith because I like his shirt color!"

JavaPunk
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-02-03 16:23:55 »

To start, I will post my "profile" I keep just for occasions as this.  This I will can post a "platform" that is desired.

One thing I would like to add to this profile is that I served (for better or worse;) =) as a member of the Java Game experts group tasked with developing the Java game techologies which eventually lead to the current Java game tech CHOICES, although I had nothing to do with the current implementations.

============
Shawn Kendall

FullSail Real World Education
Course Director for Real-Time 3D for Gaming
www.fullsail.com

Immediate Mode Interactive
CEO and Technical Director
www.imilabs.com

Shawn developed cutting edge Java and Java3D based game technology demos for Full Sail and Sun Microsystems displayed at various conferences such as GDC and SIGGRAPH three years running.  Shawn has 5 years of technology teaching experience with Full Sail.  In 2002, Shawn founded Immediate Mode Interactive, LLC, a game technology company dedicated to the research, development and application of Java technology in computer games(www.imilabs.com).

Shawn has been developing 3D graphics with Java since 1995, starting with JDK 1.0 on SGIs machines and then Java3D since 1998.  Before Java, Shawn was developing in C/C++ and demonstrated virtual reality game projects with a student group called the Toy Scouts associated with University of Central Florida's Institute for Simulation and Training at the 1994 and 1995 SIGGRAPH.

Shawn graduated from UCF in 1995 with a BS in Liberal Science and followed with a BS in Computer Science in 2003.  Shawn maintains several Java3D content loaders, as well as a host of Java3D game demos projects.

Recent work includes content loaders, character animation technology, and advanced graphics demos for Java3D, as well as research and development with JOGL and JDBC technologies as applied to game development.  Shawn is currently co-authoring a Java game programming book (untitled) for Charles River Media due out March 2004.  At GDC 2003, Shawn presented the Java Gaming Tutorial along with Dustin Clingman and Syrus Mesdaghi, which demonstrated several Java/Java3D game demos.

At GDC 2002, as part of the Full Sail team, I demonstrated several Java/Java3D game demos, including a full-function arcade style fighter.
At SIGGRAPH 2001, as part of the Full Sail team, I demonstrated the Java3D Grand Prix running on standard PC hardware.
At SIGGRAPH 2000, as part of the the Full Sail team, I demonstrated Java3D in a full VR set-up (HMD, trackers, controller) running on an laptop PC at Sun's booth.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Athomas Goldberg

Grrrrrr...

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-02-03 16:35:57 »

Who are these people? Why should I care?
I have heard the names of these people in passing but who are they? How can I vote if I have no idea who is best. Can't the nominees say "My name is Smith and I will do x,y and z. I have   a,b and c experience?" How about endorsements people saying, "Elect Smith because I like his shirt color!"

I've asked each of the nominees to post a brief description of who they are and what role they see themselves playing as a member of the board. If you are unsure who to vote for, I suggest you wait until you hear what the nominees have to say before casting your ballot. The elections will run until February 13th, which should give the nominees plenty of time to state their views, and the community ample opportunity to respond with additional questions. You also have the option of changing your vote at any time up until the close of the election.

If you have questions for any of the individual candidates I would suggest you post them here, or send a message to them directly.

Athomas Goldberg
Project Lead / Wildcard
Game Technologies Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Offline gregorypierce

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-02-04 23:45:38 »

============
Gregory Pierce

AOL/Time Warner
Software Architect, Strategic Applications and Systems Development

Greg has done a lot of work in gaming for years inside and outside of the game industry. He has written articles and tutorials for Direct3D, Java, and J2ME and co-authored an educational text on Direct3D. He was worked as a professional developer in the gaming industry for Bethesda Softworks and Dynamic Animation Systems. He was worked on a variety of console platforms including the SNES, Playstation, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, and XBox. A vocal advocate of Java and 3D technology for professional projects, he has introduced this technology into government simulation projects with CSC, SAIC and Booz-Allen Hamilton. His current duties involve utilizing commercially viable and leading technologies for the Time Warner family of companies.

Greg graduated from Xavier University in 1995 with a BS in Computer Science and is currently working on his MBA/JD. Greg has worked on a wide variety of open source projects from JBoss to JInput. Currently he  leads the charge to maintain the ports of the JGI APIs on OSX. he is currently working with a company specifically on commercial tools and technology written in java that could be utilized by both independent developers and commercial shops to produce games for the PC, mobile, and set top arenas.

==============

What do I want to do for you?

Establish the JGI APIs as industry standards, gain exposure to the actual java and game development press with Sun's help, and work to incubate a small number of projects that will be 'reference examples' of what can be done. I would work with Sun and other interested industry partners to develop a process by which actual Java games can be evaluated by publishers, promoted in the press, and become commercially viable. I would work to ensure that there would be adequate co-marketing with publishers, companies, and the press so that java gaming can move from the dark recesses of the internet and into the limelight.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Offline Yuri Vl. Gushchin

Speak Java!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-02-09 17:37:26 »

============
Yuri Gushchin

JProof Group
CEO and Chief Software Architect

In 1992, Yuri started software development company located in Minsk, Belarus. Since 1998, he focused exclusively on Java developments and was promoting use of Java for different applications, including performance-critical applications (in 1999 he developed MPEGBEANS project, Pure Java realtime video+audio MPEG player with ability of bi-directional realtime playback). In addition, Yuri has a big experience in developing tools and libraries for Java developers, and was involved in FastCode for Java project as Chief Software Architect (http://tools.jproof.com).

Yuri graduated from Belarussian State University of Electronics and Radioengineering in 1995, with specialization in Computes, Computing Systems and Networks.

Yuri works in gaming and amusement industry since 2000. Currently Yuri heads group of companies (JProof Group) that develops and runs several gaming systems and focuses on non-PC-gaming market segment. The major directions of development are 3D Java-based games for entertainment and amusement industries (based on Java3D before and Xith3D now), and wireless gaming, including J2ME and SMS gaming.

Yuri's current Open Source project is Xith3D - Java scenegraph-based 3D engine built on top of JOGL (http://www.xith.org). In addition to his personal efforts in developing Open Source projects, Yuri supports direct and indirect participation of his employees (Java developers and designers) in different Open Source initiatives.

============

Yuri can bring his experience in managing groups of independent developers to Java Games Community by co-ordinating activities of members of Community and doing his best for recognizing feedback from every specific Java Games Community member. Yuri sees his major task as organizing feedback of Java Games Community members in a way that can be most efficiently used by developers of Java and Java Games Technologies.

Yuri will work to promote use of technologies developed by Java Games Community in Open Source and commercial projects. Yuri will do his best to involve more professional Java game developers to participation in Java Games Community and support their initiatives on meetings of Java Games Community Board of Directors.

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

radar3301 (12 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (28 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (48 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (103 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (50 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org