games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Penny Pitch  (Read 1926 times)
Offline Screem
« Posted 2014-01-05 22:16:53 »

I've been working on this game for a few weeks for a school project, and I finally finished. It's the first game I made without following any tutorials, and I couldn't feel more accomplished. So without further ado, I present Penny Pitch, the small and fun game for everyone!

The concept is really simple. You shoot pennies out of a cannon onto a board to get the most points. The closer to the center, the more points you receive!

Controls:
ESC to pause
Up/down/enter/click: navigate menus
Hold the mouse down to increase cannon power; let go to fire!

This is my first game, so I'd like any feedback at all. Things such as what I could improve, what could be better, and of course, positive comments would be nice as well. Smiley I'm not working on this game anymore, so I could use your feedback for some of my future games. Also, I understand the game doesn't have much of a purpose, but it's a simple school project and I'm happy with it.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-01-05 22:21:56 »

Interesting concept, it's original! Does it have gamepad support? In the about screen it said I could press B to return.

My only "criticism" is that it seems its really hard to get extra pennies! Other than that, it was fun and a nice little game! Good job Smiley +1

Offline Screem
« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-01-05 22:36:45 »

Thanks! I made it with libGDX so it works on desktop too, which is why you can press B to return (you could just click anywhere too).

I experimented with different chances to get extra pennies and found 20% (the current chance) a nice balance otherwise games would go on forever because you'd keep getting more pennies and never run out.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline mikoch
« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-01-06 10:36:36 »

I wished my first game looked so polished and professional.
I'm looking forward to your next game Smiley

the only nitpick I found is:
- menu options on the fist screen ("play" / "help" / etc) are to small and close to each other - on my Nexus5 phone (which has quite big screen) it's difficult to choose desired option - and I don't have very big fingers

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-01-06 11:16:08 »

Fun little game. Though it seems to consume a lot of my CPU power. It is laggy now when I'm typing.

It seems like one of those games where you can't get the best score lol. I always land on 1 Cheesy 2 if im lucky Cry
Offline das_ig

Junior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-01-06 15:55:52 »

Fun game Cheesy. after so many tries, I've never landed on 3 .  Angry
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-01-06 16:02:13 »

Oh, just got 3 points awesome! The game is still installed on my phone, now that's impressive considering I only play one game! (Badland)

Offline Screem
« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-01-06 21:47:43 »

@mikoch
I initially designed the game for desktop so I didn't have time to change the options into proper buttons; instead, I just added bounds around them and check if they contain each click or touch event. Had I spent more time, I would've made proper, nicely-sized buttons.

@trollwarrior1
Odd, the game runs fine on everything I've tested it on, including an old Motorola Droid. I'm not working on this game anymore, though, as I have midterms and other things to worry about ATM. Undecided

@das_ig
Thanks! It can get tricky. Cheesy

@opiop65
Didn't expect anyone to keep this game installed. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print