Bad Hedgie!  (Read 2493 times)
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Posted 2014-01-05 20:04:59 »

My latest creation! I've taken up the idea of performing mini game jams by myself when I have time, and this is the second one. Took around 10 hours to do!

The premise of the game:
You are a hedgehog cleverly named Hedgie who has a working jet pack and bombs to use. The other hedgehogs don't have working jet packs and are angry because of it. Survive as long as you can in this frozen hole, and well, get the best high score!

Controls
----------
A & D to move left and right respectively.
Press and hold shift while you have fuel to use your jet pack and escape the claws of your fellow hedgehogs.
Q to buy fuel canisters when you have 20 coins
E to place bombs
Escape to pause and return to the info screen

Goals
-------
Collect as many coins as possible! The currency is the yellow coin, fuel is the red, and the hearts are health!
Survive for as long as possible, I will probably implement a timer to keep track of how long you survive!

The enemy hedgehogs have genetically altered some of their kin to produce the bomb hog. This special hedgehog will sit and blow up if touche, so watch out!
Enemies speed up over time, and fuel becomes scarce, so use it wisely!

Download Windows version here:
http://goo.gl/slMpmH

Download Linux version here:
http://goo.gl/IQ6Lyc

Download Mac version here:
http://goo.gl/ZwPwX8

Made using:
My GLUtils library built on top of LWJGL
TinySound for playing sounds

Any suggestions are welcome!

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2014-01-05 22:06:24 »

Sorry man! NoSatisfiedLinkError with lwjgl.

I would suggest that you redo the jar using Ninja-Cave's excellent Fat Jar Creator: JarSplice. I ALWAYS use it. It makes it easy to get rid of these link errors.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #2 - Posted 2014-01-05 22:07:41 »

Ah crap, I completely forgot about adding the natives for anything other than Windows, sorry about that! I've used Jar Splicer to do it before, so I'm not worried about it working. I'll do it tonight!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #3 - Posted 2014-01-05 22:21:00 »

Got it to work (just put in the natives)!

I like your idea! It kind of combines doodle jump and launching games! The art is funny, and the premise is creative!

However:

- The framerate is about 5FPS, rendering it unplayable! Probably just a linux thing though, so ignore until someone else reports.
- The textures don't have the same resolution! I would suggest using glScalef()! It seems that you just took a low-res texture and scaled it up! That is going to take up a LOT more space than you want. You should have everything at the same resolution, just to use less space, to be more efficient in making art (not having to scale up and down every change you make to textures).
- I would suggest that you don't increment the fuel by 20 coins, but just add a little bit for every coin. It is frustrating to have to press Q all the time!

A little off topic, but I would suggest leaving some debugging information with your utilities? I do that with my engine to see what goes wrong at which time, the time, etc. Just make some debug/logging info at the initialization of the library.

I really wish I could play this at a better frame rate, but for now, it is a good start!

Just a few suggestions!  Smiley

-wes

Offline Screem
« Reply #4 - Posted 2014-01-05 22:37:25 »

My FPS feels like a solid 60, so it's probably some linux thing.

Really nice game! I do agree with wessles however that your textures would look nicer if they had the same resolution, but you said this was a game made for a personal jam, so art doesn't really matter. I especially like the bomb texture BTW. Cheesy

Instead of pressing Q, I think it'd be easier to just have the fuel increment automatically.

Cool game, pretty nice for ten hours. Smiley

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #5 - Posted 2014-01-05 22:51:54 »

Huh, that's interesting that you get such a low frame rate, it runs perfectly on my machine.

The textures, yeah I got really lazy with those after I spent a couple hours scrounging them together for an hour. I suck at art you see, so just slapping them onto quads that weren't the same size seemed ok at the time. Usually I don't do that, but oh well!

Good idea about the coins, I never thought about that. I was kind of planning a small store, but now that I'm not doing that anymore, I don't need to make the player press the key anymore.

Debugging, yes I should, I just need to make a better error handler. The library is fairly simple right now though, so not much can go wrong. That's why I haven't worked on any sort of internal debugger!

Offline Longarmx
« Reply #6 - Posted 2014-01-06 00:24:08 »

This game was fun! It ran smoothly on my computer. One thing I noticed is that after you die, the coins keep dropping on your head and you get more points.  Wink

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #7 - Posted 2014-01-06 01:30:40 »

Oh well then, I guess someone already found a way to cheat huh? Wink Funny how that happens!

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #8 - Posted 2014-01-06 02:11:25 »

Updated the OP!
Added Linux and Mac versions.
As per suggestions of my fellow forumers, I made the process of buying fuel automatic.
Added timer that displays when player dies.
Fixed a bug that allows you to continue to gain resources after you die.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #9 - Posted 2014-01-07 04:00:19 »

I had no framerate problems and I'm running *nix. Probably because you released a linux version, but just to let you know Smiley

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #10 - Posted 2014-01-07 04:25:36 »

Cool, thanks for testing!

Offline rv3392

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

Programmer | Modder | Gamer

« Reply #11 - Posted 2014-01-23 06:29:32 »

Run nicely on my computer. By the way cool game, it has a nice storyline.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #12 - Posted 2014-01-23 11:55:25 »

Not storyline but a good backstory. There is a climax, but no solution. You just go until Hedgie dies... *cries*

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #13 - Posted 2014-01-23 12:08:43 »

Some stories don't and won't have a resolution though Wink

Offline LiquidNitrogen
« Reply #14 - Posted 2014-01-31 08:17:02 »

Running on windows 7, the title screen works fine but during play all i got was a black screen, which caused me to die very quickly Sad

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print