Starbound  (Read 4273 times)
Online matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Posted 2013-12-07 19:06:29 »

It came out December 4th, I'm sooo loving it! Smiley

Maybe you remember my old WorldOfCube (see Signature wait, no, don't, look here), I've always loved those Terraria kind of games, and Starbound is reaaaaally cool.

How do you like the game, what would you like to be improved, and what do you think about the new update coming in a few days?

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline EmanP

Projects: 2
Exp: 3 years

Satisfaction never guaranteed.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-12-08 01:02:27 »

I love the procedural generation of the game, and it's what I want to see more of Smiley

Signed- EmanP
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-12-08 01:16:46 »

There is a huge craze of the sandbox style games and the (infinite worlds). I don't see the huge appeal. In all honesty I can't play minecraft for longer then 10 minutes as it becomes boring. I have played this game and do enjoy it. It is not just the mincraft style but actually has crap to do. But the world generation will always be flatter then someone actually created by hand. Which is better an infinite number of really crappy procedural dungeons or one beautifully crafted by hand? I am not saying that all procedural content is crap but it just cannot compare to a world made by hand.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Drenius
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-12-08 01:25:02 »

Thats absolutely right, but creating every dungeon etc by hand takes a lot of time and is not always the best solution, because sometimes you dont want to have a fixed storyline or a world limit, because it also limits the time the players can play.
It is always a question of what kind of game it is.
You would (mostly) not use a generator for a story-based rpg, but also not create premade maps for a MC/Terraria like game...
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-12-08 01:46:10 »

There is a huge craze of the sandbox style games and the (infinite worlds). I don't see the huge appeal. In all honesty I can't play minecraft for longer then 10 minutes as it becomes boring.
Same here, unless I'm with friends to kill in-game.
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 238
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-12-08 02:48:03 »

Just bought it.

Waiting for Steam to download (on Linux) so I can play this...

EDIT: And I am playing it...

Offline Zhon

Medals: 4

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-12-08 03:01:37 »

Looks fine, too bad it crashes all the time for me.
Offline NegativeZero

JGO Knight

Medals: 30
Projects: 2

Zero but not.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-12-08 03:08:52 »

There is a huge craze of the sandbox style games and the (infinite worlds). I don't see the huge appeal. In all honesty I can't play minecraft for longer then 10 minutes as it becomes boring. I have played this game and do enjoy it. It is not just the mincraft style but actually has crap to do. But the world generation will always be flatter then someone actually created by hand. Which is better an infinite number of really crappy procedural dungeons or one beautifully crafted by hand? I am not saying that all procedural content is crap but it just cannot compare to a world made by hand.

You should try Path of Exile. It uses a procedural level system, but has a playset for each level. This makes the levels random enough to be replayable, while controlled enough to be familiar and fun.
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 153
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-12-08 03:36:22 »

I personally love the idea of Minecraft, but I don't play it anymore because I'm burned out on it. Procedural terrain has always been very cool to me, and to be honest with you I prefer noise to hand crafted terrain just because of the randomness you get out of it. Now, of course every game isn't suited towards randomly generated terrain, but a few really are quite amazing with it, and I can keep playing the game over and over and get almost a new experience every time. I think its less with the terrain and more about what you can do with it. Minecraft is fun, but after a while building the same building and gathering the same resources and fighting the same mobs becomes old. I want to find a game where the content is also randomly generated, as well as the terrain so you truly have a unique experience every time you play. I'm sure there are plenty of games out there like that, but I don't game anymore besides the occasional match of Battlefield Wink

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-12-08 05:46:11 »

I would love to get this "unique" experience. I can't think of any procedural generated  game where the procedural part produced anything reasonable without an insane amount of tweaking. You cannot create hundreds of hours of gameplay with some magic algorithm. Sure it could take a year of real life time to traverse the land but that does not make the traversing fun. This is all subjective of course and I do not judge people for liking that stuff as people like COD  Roll Eyes

I think the best games with high level of re-playability are open world games where there is a bunch to do and many ways to do it (not restriction the player) or arcade games where the game play is simple but fun. For some reason Bloons TD is stupid simple but very fun. Tetris is simple nothing complicated but very re-playable. The are not all RPG or FPS but more of styles. FarCry on here looks very fun. Sandbox is great but players HAVE to have some direction other wise there is no point. Minecraft has got to be the edge of the boundary and I think much of the popularity is due to a hipster like following.

Starbound has different planets which is why I really like it. It is not one type of land but many. Minecraft has biomes but they only go so far. 

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline rv3392

Medals: 2
Projects: 1
Exp: 5 years

Programmer | Modder | Gamer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-12-08 06:07:17 »

I can play minecraft single player for up to 1 hour , but multiplayer on big servers is something anyone could do for hours.
Online matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-12-08 10:47:50 »

Which is better an infinite number of really crappy procedural dungeons or one beautifully crafted by hand? I am not saying that all procedural content is crap but it just cannot compare to a world made by hand.

The dungeons aren't 'generated'. They are crafted by hand, just 'placed randomly' in the world. That's why villages and dungeons look so amazing in this game! Smiley

EDIT: One problem with a non-generated version is that I've already seen some dungeons twice, which makes it a little bit repetitive. But I'm not sure whether randomly placing the rooms vs. not doing that would help with that point.

EDIT 2: Btw, the team is aware of the problem that generated stuff just doesn't look that cool. They have for example handcrafted terrain structures that are placed in the world to make the world look nicer, so you have an arc or similar, which you wouldn't get with generated terrain Smiley

See my:
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-12-08 20:18:18 »

That is why this is much better then most out there.

Offline Cero
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-12-09 02:29:32 »

Terraria is a clone of minecraft - at least its a little different being 2D
starbound and craft the world and all that bullshit are just clones of that again

think about which games you will remember in the future... certainly not all these lackluster copycat games
starbound is like terraria..... IN SPAAACE

Offline kingroka123

JGO Knight

Medals: 27
Projects: 5
Exp: 1 year

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-12-09 03:29:12 »

starbound and craft the world and all that bullshit are just clones of that again

think about which games you will remember in the future... certainly not all these lackluster copycat games

Although i agree, this should come into play when actually describing a game. You must remember that minecraft itself was based off of another game. Saying that Starbound is like Terraria may be true but it shouldn't be seen as clone, rather it should be seen for its special features and  acctual gameplay. In summary, starbound is starbound and terraria is terraria and minecraft is minecraft

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 238
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-12-09 03:43:16 »

So when I bought this I was happy that I was getting a game that was pretty much Terraria but with multiple worlds and procedurally generated content.

Then I actually watched the trailer and... Wow. This is not like Terraria. Terraria resembles only a small part of the full game (so far), and it isn't even done yet.

Offline Troubleshoots

JGO Knight

Medals: 36
Exp: 7-9 months

Damn maths.

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-12-09 10:59:14 »

I disagree. You could say that mario is a clone of the first ever platform game.
Hats off to the designers. They spotted a growing market and now they're piling up the sales.

Why are all OpenGL tutorials written in Brainf**k?
Online matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-12-09 15:18:06 »

Totally not your opinion here.

Minecraft is like Inifiniminer... ON THE SURFAAAAACE.

Seriously, you should think about what 'clone' actually means. It doesn't mean 'a game of the same genre', but 'exactly the same game copied'. So for example there are clones of minecraft, that really have a pickaxe, the 3x3 crafting grid, etc. But then there are games like Starbound, which build up on the same genre like minecraft (which opened it up to the gaming world the first time) (the genre being ~ sandbox grid-based games, "cube worlds") and built up upon and improved games like Terraria, took ideas from other games, mixed in some good pixel art, good ideas and new concepts. Have you already tried out Starbound?

I want to know how original the games are that you made Wink

No offense, though, I just want to show you that they and how they make games isn't very different from you and how you make games Smiley

One last thing: The lead developer of Starbound is/was part of the Re-Logic Team that developed Terraria Wink

See my:
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66

Radirius Software Developer

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-12-09 15:22:45 »

Holy crap man... you got Nerd3 to review this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-kaTDYO8Lo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3-kaTDYO8Lo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
You, are amazing.

Offline Damocles
« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-12-09 15:33:13 »

in the end, everything is a Pong clone.

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

Medals: 25

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-12-09 16:10:51 »

There is a huge craze of the sandbox style games and the (infinite worlds). I don't see the huge appeal. In all honesty I can't play minecraft for longer then 10 minutes as it becomes boring. I have played this game and do enjoy it. It is not just the mincraft style but actually has crap to do.

The beauty behind games like Terraria and Starbound is that there actually IS lots of crap to do - they're actual games in stead of somewhat of a game that grew out of a tech demo. IMO Starbound is the same leap up in gameplay from Terraria as Terraria was to Minecraft; the game looks quite awesome especially because it just feels a whole lot less randomized. I'll be playing it for most of 2014 probably, just as soon as I've completely explored the massive Terraria 1.2 update.

As a game that is less sandbox and more game, consider looking at Steamworld Dig.
Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

Medals: 25

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-12-09 16:11:16 »

Because Pong was the first game? It wasn't Wink
Offline Varkas
« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-12-09 16:31:06 »

Even if this page exists:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_video_game

I find it kind of difficult to say what is the first computer game - some of the early hardware was very unlike what we know as computers nowadays, and the games worked differently too.

I'd choose "Spacewar!" as my personal idea of the first "real" computer game.

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Offline Damocles
« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-12-09 16:50:13 »

Ok, everything is a Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device Clone

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66

Radirius Software Developer

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-12-10 00:35:01 »

Ocrap. I did not see that this was in a misc board... I thought mattheus made this solo!   Shocked
Well, I believed it, so kudos mattheus!

Offline UprightPath
« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-12-10 01:31:06 »

Well, I shall soon join the group of ya'll who're playing this game. But it won't be for several days. And then the Ludum Dare shall drag me away to the delight of attempting to get a game done in two days!

Offline hobbles

Medals: 2
Exp: 4 years

hmm what

« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-12-19 23:59:22 »

Great game that's for sure, especially after getting friends involved.

I'm upset I didn't capitalize the H in my name...
Offline Agro
« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-12-20 17:28:22 »

yea someone gifted to me on steam, its amazing

Offline Cero
« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-12-21 13:14:36 »

Doesnt even make any sense. 2 Paddles, versus, agility and reaction - thats pong. The Sims is not like this at all for example.

sandbox grid-based games, "cube worlds"
There is no such genre. Name 3 games what were satisfy this description that came out before minecraft.

There is also no Terraria genre.

I want to know how original the games are that you made Wink
No offense, though, I just want to show you that they and how they make games isn't very different from you and how you make games Smiley
That has nothing to do with it and is the mark of someone with weak arguments - even a hairstylist can criticize games or game design.

I havent created any actual real games. If you're talking about those that I have posted here on JGO, yes, these ARE clones where I looked at specific games while creating them.
If your game design high concept and gameplay description match - its hard to argue otherwise.

One last thing: The lead developer of Starbound is/was part of the Re-Logic Team that developed Terraria Wink
Interesting that you think this helps YOUR case, because I think you just made my point.
Example: Bayonetta is a Devil May Cry clone / sequel. It was also made by the same people. I fucking love Bayonetta and Devil May Cry but that doesnt change the fact. At least Bayonetta changes everything possible without changing the formula.

You may thin a "clone" is overly derogatory - but its not really. Then doom first came out all shooters were called doom clones, even by the press; when mario first came out many platformers where mario clones.
But the truth still remains that a lackluster shooter contributes nothing to the game industry and is made purely for money.

Counter-example: Terraria and craft the world are clones. Minecraft and Gmod are the same genre, but quite different. See the difference ?
Path of Exile (which was enjoyable) IS diablo.

The point is, I find it tragic if you make a make just because you CAN make a clone, you just want to have your own and bring nothing new to the table; Or you do it just for money.
My games are clones, but those are student projects and they never got enough time to blossom =D

Just be a little more critical towards games and movies - or else EVERYTHING will look the same soon
Over 90 % of all hollywood movies made each year are either sequels or remakes.
As the gaming industry gets bigger call of duty and minecraft clones are our biggest problem...

Online matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #29 - Posted 2013-12-21 13:55:08 »

There is no such genre. Name 3 games what were satisfy this description that came out before minecraft.

Infiniminer and Dwarf Fortress. These were also the inspiration of Minecraft. The nice way of mixing game elements of both games together is what makes Minecraft so interesting and unique.
Why 'came out before Minecraft'? Why shouldn't Minecraft be able to open up a new genre?

Counter-example: Terraria and craft the world are clones. Minecraft and Gmod are the same genre, but quite different. See the difference ?
Path of Exile (which was enjoyable) IS diablo.

I still think Terraria and Craft the world are both still different from Minecraft. I understand what 'same genre' means for you, now, but I still think our ideas of clones are different.

What Terraria is in perspective to Minecraft:
Terraria is all about combat and exploration, whereas Minecraft is all about building stuff and mining. Terraria is a completely different game, because it has bosses, stuff like weapon and armor stats and aims at building up a good combination of stat-increasing accessories. Minecraft is almost not at all about combat. It has 4 kinds of swords and thats it. Almost nothing like player stats except for armor and the dungeon / loot chests are mostly about resources not armor / weapons. No special effects on weapons nor armor.

What Craft the world is in perspective to Minecraft:
Craft the world (from what it looks like) is not about playing a specific character but mixes in the elements of RTS' where you control units to build up stuff. It also mixes in a little bit of Tower defense, judging from the videos online.

A 'Clone' for me is a game which has exactly the same game elements as the game it was cloned from. So there are almost 1:1 mario clones (for example 'Super Tux' for linux), that simply use different sprites or drawing mechanics and include new levels.

For me a game is not a clone anymore, when it includes new game mechanics. So Craft the world is not a Minecraft clone, because it includes the 'control multiple units and give commands' and 'tower defense strategy' mechanics. Just like Terraria has the new combat mechanics.

It's always interesting when new, original game mechanics are found, but it's also a skill to be able to create games with mixed game mechanics, taken from different games. Notch's idea was to combine nice game elements from two games together to create something like Minecraft.

See my:
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (12 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (8 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (9 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (25 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (10 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (39 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org