Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (576)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Good Places to Upload Java Games  (Read 816 times)
Offline chaucer345
« Posted 2013-12-06 00:39:56 »

Hello all,

So, for the past year and a half I've been working off and on on a little text adventure (by little I mean about 5500 lines of code, though a lot of that is string literals) and I'm at the point where I could really use some testers. However, before I can even show it to people I really have to find a way to get it online (it's currently formatted as an applet) the problem with that is, of course, that these days people treat java applets like plague rats waiting to happen, so if I'm going to upload it I'm going to have to upload it to a nice reputable website that I couldn't design and market without another few years of html and a marketing campaign.

Also, I really would like to have the game run in-browser, as that seems to reduce people's stress and at least one group I've found that promotes games like mine only links to inbrowser content..

Also, it would be great if said site hosted no NSFW content.

So, do you guys know of any good places that can host java applets? I would be really appreciative of any help you could provide.

Offline chaucer345
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-12-06 19:03:56 »

Wow... Seriously? Nowhere at all?
Offline EmanP

Junior Duke

Projects: 2
Exp: 3 years

Satisfaction never guaranteed.

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-12-06 19:28:03 »

Well.. There is this forum.. Smiley

You can also put it on dropbox..

You can make your own website...

Mediafire..

Any file sharing site will do, provided you give notice to the internets, but be careful, I have first-handedly experienced the blunt of not meeting expectations- text adventures aren't used anymore, but they were popular in the days of Floppy disks. Perhaps I could give it a shot.  Wink

Signed- EmanP
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-12-06 19:35:33 »

Hey I love text adventures!
I know im not awnsering your question but I'd give it a try.
Email : VanAficionado@gmail.com
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 78
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-12-06 19:53:16 »

Some links to relevant sites here.
Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 136
Projects: 4

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-12-07 05:03:13 »

java-gaming.org
Offline EmanP

Junior Duke

Projects: 2

Satisfaction never guaranteed.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-12-07 14:59:40 »

Ooh, I love that website.

Signed- EmanP
Offline chaucer345
« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-12-08 00:35:09 »

If you are interested in checking out what I have so far, you can find it here:

http://firstprinceproductions.heliohost.org/Wounded.html

Note: It is deployed with the usual angry security notices that seem to plague applets without certificates, really sorry about that, but I'm not sure how to fix it without spending lots of money. I also know that there is at least one way to reach the end message: Thanks for playing! But the adventure was built with multiple paths and I haven't had a chance to test out all of them (I never respected game testers more than when I tried it for myself).

Oh, and I should admit also that this is a fan game for My Little Pony. I did that specifically so I would never have to worry about the legal ramifications of owning it or working on it during my downtime at work. I don't own anything, but I've sure learned a lot! : )
Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-12-08 00:48:49 »

Sigh, I'll never understand the new generation liking mlp and stuff :/
I recommend making the text box where you enter your choice blank initially, otherwise it's kinda annoying to have to delete the "enter choice here" text every time.
Offline chaucer345
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-12-08 01:00:21 »

Sigh, I'll never understand the new generation liking mlp and stuff :/
I recommend making the text box where you enter your choice blank initially, otherwise it's kinda annoying to have to delete the "enter choice here" text every time.

Eh, MLP these days is a very different thing then it was in the old days.
Still, I worry about not doing any sort of label at all for that box, perhaps I should add a JLabel beneath it?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 156
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-12-08 03:00:08 »

Risking thread derailing, but MLP is fine for kids. Its a kids show. Not for anyone else, and I can't understand the appeal. This is coming from someone who has grown up practically in the middle of it(I'm 16), and I have a friend who is obsessed with MLP. It really is kind of disturbing sometimes, almost as much as guys liking One Direction or other boy bands. Its just... Its not right.

Sorry about that.

Offline chaucer345
« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-12-08 03:56:10 »

Well, MLP is kind of a weird phenomenon. I got into it because I was stuck in an internship and wanted something to read and there were a bunch of people watching it who were into writing stories. The show is surprisingly good for inspiration in that sense as, like other impressive cartoons of this era including Adventure Time and Gravity Falls, it has a pile of mysteries at its core and a lot of background that needs filling in.

The background piece I'm trying work on? Well, one of the characters of the show is basically an immortal goddess. She has this jerk nephew who she still gives some privileges in spite of her generally rational and decent decision making... The nephew is not a member of her divine sub-species or anything so it brings up a question. Why does she keep him around?

The answer I came up with was that a long time ago, someone who wasn't related to her by blood must have done something to impress her, something so incredible that she actually still thinks of that person as family... And as someone who has lived for thousands of years and lost some actual biological family (but that's another story) she must really, really cling to whatever she has left, even if it's just some incredibly diluted descendent... Which is why she keeps that little jerk so close to her.

The idea was too interesting. I had to see where it went. So I made a story, and now a game to go along with it. I know it won't appeal to everyone, but I think it's worth a look.
Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-12-08 03:59:36 »

Risking thread derailing, but MLP is fine for kids. Its a kids show. Not for anyone else, and I can't understand the appeal. This is coming from someone who has grown up practically in the middle of it(I'm 16), and I have a friend who is obsessed with MLP. It really is kind of disturbing sometimes, almost as much as guys liking One Direction or other boy bands. Its just... Its not right.

Sorry about that.
Same; I tolerate but don't understand.

JLabels sound good, and maybe you should clear the text area every time an answer is added (only displaying the current question/event) and make the text size bigger.
Offline rv3392

Senior Duke

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

Programmer | Modder | Gamer

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-12-08 04:02:08 »

I would love to test it when you find a place to put it. But I have no clue of where you could put it.
Offline chaucer345
« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-12-08 04:16:11 »

I would love to test it when you find a place to put it. But I have no clue of where you could put it.

If you're willing to brave my atrocious html, you can find it here:

http://firstprinceproductions.heliohost.org/Wounded.html
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (38 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (28 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (28 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (53 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (54 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (42 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (64 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (78 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org