Games in Android Showcase (120)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  [Site Question] Why the threads in Showcase forums are ordered by created date?  (Read 1052 times)
Offline tom_mai78101
« Posted 2013-11-26 14:55:37 »

Created date, as in Thread Creation Date.

I would like to suggest that the Showcase threads should be ordered by Last Updated Date.

Reason:

• When a showcased game/demo is updated, guests of Java-Gaming.org can be able to view most recently updated version of our showcased games/demos. This in turn may generate more chances of obtaining feedback from playtesters and other people that only viewed/glanced the first page of the Showcase forums.
  • This lets others know the showcased games/demos are updated. How should we let others know about this is something I've yet to consider.

Of course, the above suggestion is merely a suggestion that is easily debunked. I like to voice my thoughts. Thanks for reading this.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 816
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-11-26 17:08:21 »

The Showcase board is exactly that - a showcase. Everybody gets their exposure at release, and their game isn't immediately swamped by overly chatty threads. This is the fairest approach I came up with. If you have a better one, by all means...

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-11-26 19:15:29 »

The Showcase board is exactly that - a showcase. Everybody gets their exposure at release, and their game isn't immediately swamped by overly chatty threads. This is the fairest approach I came up with. If you have a better one, by all means...

Order "Latest in Showcase" panel by release date, and order forum by last update ?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Damocles
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-11-26 19:28:14 »

A suggestion is to render the showcase entry-page in a matrix view. (compact Projectname/link and one Thumbnail)
like 4 or 5 project-pictures "wide",

together with the options, order by :  submission / latest comment / most views.

gives it more an appstore look,
and makes it easier to browse around quickly and visually.

Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-11-26 19:42:08 »

My game Squaball was moved from WIP to show case and it didn't get a new date.. It is like really far down... I don't get this.
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 149
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-11-26 21:51:11 »

I only use "unread posts since epoch" so it doesn't matter to me.

Offline tom_mai78101
« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-11-27 02:40:50 »

Last Moved Date.

A thread, when created, is also when it's moved into Showcase (i.e., Last Moved Date = Last Created Date). If a WIP product is moved into Showcase, the Last Moved Date is updated to reflect the actions a mod has done by movibg the thread to the Showcase. However, if thread's #1 post is updated, the system must automatically move the Showcased thread back to the WIP subforum. That way, rules aren't broken, and people's project will definitely get the exposures they wanted.

To move a WIP thread to Showcase, the old rule applies, to enforce moderation from abuse of the system.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 136
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-11-27 03:12:28 »

Far too complicated, and some potential issues - just editing the original post doesn't necessarily mean the project is being worked on. Not to mention, not all showcase threads originate from WIP.
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 269
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-11-27 04:19:41 »

I never browse the showcase anyway because the images take too long to load.

Offline tom_mai78101
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-11-27 08:17:44 »

Here's a last suggestion:

Go with what Facebook does with applications. Right beside the application attachment, there's an option to "Update Revision." It may be possible to update the user's project in the database with the latest revision, and simply flag it for showcasing.

So, there will be two columns of people's works in the Showcase web page. One column, or side, will contain the newest products for showcasing and will be sorted by last created date, while the other column will contain updated revisions and will sort by last revision updated date. To combat the issue of loading, one can simply mark the option to disable displaying images in the Showcase section.

If this won't work, then I guess I'll have to accept the current layout design.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-11-27 11:15:38 »

The wip/showcase/featured threads piggyback on the SMF forum database. There is no such thing as "Last Moved Date", "last revision updated date" or "flag it for showcasing".

Also, I can't reset the date of moved threads (from wip to showcase), because the sorting is done on the topic ID, which isn't changed as easily as you might think, because that'd break all existing links to that topic. Additionally, creating a new topic, and merging the old topic into it, doesn't work, because SMF merges the smaller topic into the larger one.

Offline tom_mai78101
« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-11-27 15:22:26 »

So, can I change my suggestion?

It is that the rules in the WIP should reflect upon the forum database design. One dev, working on a WIP, should be reserved to post only one Showcase thread that showcases the WIP project, instead of being moved by a mod, and getting sorted by topic ID, which pulls the newly moved thread into an older spot.

Once the dev finishes the WIP project, the dev then is to create a new thread in the Showcase to showcase the finished product, and must link back to the WIP thread for good measure.

From then on, all future revisions/updates must be posted in the WIP thread, and not in the Showcase thread.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-11-27 16:14:57 »

That's not enforceable.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 156
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-11-28 00:36:52 »

I think it works fine as it is now, why change something this isn't broken?

I doubt anyone actually looks through the boards anyway besides when they are searching for specific answers to questions. I personally know I only browse the showcase board when I'm bored and have nothing else to do! I personally think that most people here just look at the recent posts and that's it, so why change something?

Offline tom_mai78101
« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-11-28 02:18:38 »

I think it works fine as it is now, why change something this isn't broken?

I doubt anyone actually looks through the boards anyway besides when they are searching for specific answers to questions. I personally know I only browse the showcase board when I'm bored and have nothing else to do! I personally think that most people here just look at the recent posts and that's it, so why change something?

It's the most effective situation with pros/cons I don't like, thus I question it. After questioning, Riven revealed to us that it's due to the way the forum database works, which in the 1-year-old thread that asked about the same thing did not reveal back then.

Since Riven has given the word that it's not enforceable, I rest my case. Sorry for your inconvienences.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (42 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (32 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (37 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (59 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (85 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org